Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Now THAT'S just sucky...

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was at a bar and Grill place in Baton Rouge the other evening and I noticed an odd commercial with a 504 area code on the TV. Next thing I know I am seeing FOX8 commercials about the news and weather on the TV. Either they have a very nice OTA setup or different set of locals on their satellite receiver so they make sure they don't miss any saints games.

Sent from my EVO sometimes-LTE
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

I was at a bar and Grill place in Baton Rouge the other evening and I noticed an odd commercial with a 504 area code on the TV. Next thing I know I am seeing FOX8 commercials about the news and weather on the TV. Either they have a very nice OTA setup or different set of locals on their satellite receiver so they make sure they don't miss any saints games.

Looks like they "moved" wink.gif
Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey Digi,

Maybe they "moved".

Don H
Old 11-25-2012, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

IF you saw the real news and weather then it was probably a "moved" dish...
However, if you happened to be watching a Hornets game on the FOX regional sports chanel..
Then Fox8 New Orleans has the 1/2 time segment and they air an abbreviated news, sports show during that time.
Hornets games air on cable systems accross the area that are not normally in the Fox8 viewing area.

Louis
Old 11-27-2012, 03:28 PM

Well CH 4 is at it again. Last night, they chopped off the closing credits of Hawaii 50, so we couldn't see the preview of next weeks show.

Don H.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 78
WWL-TV Channel 4 is out of control.

These new overly large, brightly colored, animated screen graphics that have been present on local programming for the past few days are way over the top. We've always watched Ch-4 news at our house, but that is about to change. This crap is waaaay too distracting.
dennispap likes this.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM

I have to wonder if they (ch 4) will ever learn that annoying the viewer is not they way to keep him.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

WWL-TV Channel 4 is out of control.
These new overly large, brightly colored, animated screen graphics that have been present on local programming for the past few days are way over the top. We've always watched Ch-4 news at our house, but that is about to change. This crap is waaaay too distracting.

Those graphics debut on Nov. 30 at Belo's flagship station WFAA 8. The three other Texas Belo stations (KHOU, KENS & KVUE) also debut the new graphics the following week. I don't too much care for them. It seems that they want to mimic the cable news graphics like CNN.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by csworldwide1 View Post

Those graphics debut on Nov. 30 at Belo's flagship station WFAA 8. The three other Texas Belo stations (KHOU, KENS & KVUE) also debut the new graphics the following week. I don't too much care for them. It seems that they want to mimic the cable news graphics like CNN.

IMNSHO, the graphics don't need to be so large, they don't need to be so brightly colored, and most of all the frakin' WWL logo bug doesn't need to be constantly in motion. I've written WWL and told them so. I also told them that I've watched WWL news for like "forever" (and I'm 59). I told them they had about a week to fix it, or I find another local station for news coverage. But from what you're telling me, I don't think anything will change. I'm going to change my Forum signature, right now . . .

They consider THIS

Old 12-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Thread Ender

I did notice on the early AM news this morning that the WWL-TV logo was not animated like it has been the past week. Maybe they forgot to feed the hamsters on the spinning wheel this morning, or MAYBE they have realized that people really don't like that stuff?

They consider THIS

Old 12-21-2012, 03:46 PM

Nice work on that last post.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post

Nice work on that last post.

The 6pm news both yesterday and today had the WWL logo bug not animated. To me that animation was the very worst, most over the top part of their new graphics. Totally distracting.
Overall the graphics are still way too large and brightly colored, but at least they've made a bit of progress by (apparently) killing off the "motion sickness" part.

They consider THIS

Old 12-27-2012, 03:39 PM

I don't watch their news (4), but I got a real nice surprise. CBS prime time is now available on "ON DEMAND" with almost NO commercial interruptions. They have mostly PSA and program promos. No more aggravating ch 4 for me .

Merry Christmas to all.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 PM

Liked: 10
i agree on the over-use of large, brightly covered graphics that promo upcoming shows, etc. it's maddening, and wwl-tv isn't the only offender. many of the cable channels, are worse.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 PM

Was curious if anyone was having reception issues with OTA reception on WDSU channel 6.1 & 6.2. On one of my tuners, it picks it up, but constantly drops in and out. On another tuner in my TV in bedroom, it will not even pick it up. I have an attic mounted UHF antenna pointed directly at the WDSU tower using bearing from antenna web, & the compass on my iPhone.

I get all of the other DTV stations with absolutely no problems. I really don't understand what the problem is here. Any suggestions are welcome.

On another issue, I am disgusted with Directv, and want to get Cox, but the whole home DVR sort of scares me with all the problems reported here. Any experiences to share?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:20 PM

You don't have to have the whole home DVR from Cox. I have Cox, have 3 networked DVR's (no cable cards) and I'm happy.
Oh and John, about your troubles with WDSU. I had a lot of trouble from them OTA sometime back. It eventually cleared up on it's own. What never made sense to me is that CH 26 & 38 use the same antenna and tower as ch 6, and I never had any trouble with them. They merged there locations together after Katrina.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I see WDSU Channel 6 finally got new graphics during the cut in on the Today show this morning. Much better.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispap View Post

I see WDSU Channel 6 finally got new graphics during the cut in on the Today show this morning. Much better.

Hearst have been really slow with the graphics rollout.

The first station that used the new graphics was their sister station in Orlando, WESH 2. And that was right at the time the Olympics was happening.

WLWT Cincinnati & KOCO Oklahoma City just recently implemented the same graphics package with their HD launched before the May books.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 AM

WWL-TV's parent company, Belo, has agreed to be bought out by Gannett for $1.5 billion.

More info on from the station's website.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csworldwide1 View Post

Hearst have been really slow with the graphics rollout.

The first station that used the new graphics was their sister station in Orlando, WESH 2. And that was right at the time the Olympics was happening.

WLWT Cincinnati & KOCO Oklahoma City just recently implemented the same graphics package with their HD launched before the May books.

Every time the news comes on, i hear that sound and grab my Iphone (LOL).
Old 09-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

WVUE has been stuck in postage stamp mode since 3:36.

EDIT: As soon as I posted, it went back. Everyone fell asleep for 10 minutes!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore_bluto View Post

WVUE has been stuck in postage stamp mode since 3:36.

EDIT: As soon as I posted, it went back. Everyone fell asleep for 10 minutes!

My guess about that is that it had something to do with solar outage, which usually happens around the October 3, and lasts about 10 days. Solar outage is the time when the sun passes behind the satellites and makes them unusable for about 20 to 30 min. It happens the late winter and early fall.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:30 PM

In Mandeville. I just did an exhaustive scan with my el gato tuner on my mac for ota stations. I am picking up MundoFOX on 497 and 533 mhz. Is this a new subchannel for a local ota station?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
The MundoFox website listed WBXN-CA 18 as an affiliate for some time, but I hadn't heard about it showing up on WUPL 54-2. Is that where it is? Is WBXN-CA digital now?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 11-01-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes MundoFox is on 54-2
Old 11-04-2013, 10:42 PM

Anyone else watching NBC affiliate WDSU (virtual Ch. 6.1 in particular) OTA and getting lots of audio dropouts, accompanied by minor image pixelation about half the time? I've got 2 independent setups with their own antennas on separate floors, and over the past couple of months both are becoming intolerable even though signal strength is steadily in the mid-90's. Other stations are normal, with the same or even less signal strength, and it doesn't seem to be weather dependent when these dropouts occur.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainHunter View Post

Anyone else watching NBC affiliate WDSU (virtual Ch. 6.1 in particular) OTA and getting lots of audio dropouts, accompanied by minor image pixelation about half the time? I've got 2 independent setups with their own antennas on separate floors, and over the past couple of months both are becoming intolerable even though signal strength is steadily in the mid-90's. Other stations are normal, with the same or even less signal strength, and it doesn't seem to be weather dependent when these dropouts occur.

I noticed this while watching the Sunday night football game, with a signal strength in the high 90's
Old 11-05-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:

I have to wonder if they are on reduced power or something. Grim was bad last week as well as Fridays Dateline. I moved several of my TIVO NBC feeds to cable because I get a better Picture/sound quality there.

Don H
Old 11-20-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:

exact same issue. It is really annoying. every other channel is fine. Sometimes is comes in clear and other times it is almost unwatchable.

I'm in Gentilly. Using a TiVo HD and a pretty high-quality indoor antenna.