New Orleans, LA - HDTV - Page 274 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #8191 of 8230 Old 11-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im using the great LEAF indoor antenna. It brings in at least 20 channels and subchannels ... EXCEPT WYES-channel 12, the main PBS station for metro New Orleans. I have no idea why it does not come in at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 8230 Old 11-20-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbtv View Post

Im using the great LEAF indoor antenna. It brings in at least 20 channels and subchannels ... EXCEPT WYES-channel 12, the main PBS station for metro New Orleans. I have no idea why it does not come in at all.

12.1 is the only VHF channel. You're antenna is prob a UHF only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
post #8193 of 8230 Old 11-21-2013, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The Leaf is not a VHF antenna. Its elements are way too small to receive VHF except at very close range. Solid Signal published tests of it as a comparison with their Blade (Winegard Flatwave). Gain on the high VHF channels averaged around -18 dBi (-20 dBd). http://forums.solidsignal.com/docs/HD-BLADE%20vs%20Leaf%20LR.pdf
post #8194 of 8230 Old 11-28-2013, 08:28 AM

WWL massacred the ending of Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Near the end, they dropped a local commercial in over the network feed then the screen went to black for a minute or so, repeated the local commercial and eventually picked up the network feed for the next show at the top of the hour. I was doing a capture and in the early parts of the show -- before and after the network commercials -- there was a nice 1-2 seconds of black which I figured would be great for snipping. Then WWL dropped in a weather coverage promo for the news which had no cushion in the last 15 minutes before totally screwing the cap with the missing end. I will try again next year.
post #8195 of 8230 Old 01-23-2014, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know this board has been quiet. But this week KFOL aka HTV in Houma quietly launched an HD feed. It is on 30.3. On 30.1 there is a simulcast of a down converted 30.3 in squeeze mode.

They also moved into their new studios in the old Duponts department store. Studio is also HD. Looks really good compared to the upconverts.
post #8196 of 8230 Old 02-26-2014, 04:51 PM

Liked: 15

For those who haven't discovered RabbitEars.info, there's a wealth of info there and not limited to just the New Orleans market, either. One handy list I find that I keep referring to is this one, showing station call signs and channel assignments--both RF and Virtual--plus network affiliations, etc.

post #8197 of 8230 Old 02-26-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Glad you like it. smile.gif

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8198 of 8230 Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Hi guys,To receive the most OTA channels, do I need two antennas, one for HD and one for SD? What antenna is best for Marrero to receive as many channels as possible (BR - Biloxi, etc)? 

I've been looking at this site 

http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/new-orleans-tv-stations.html

They have three antennas available, HD Stacker, EZ HD, and the Wineguard Flatwave found here http://dennysantennaservice.com/winegard-fl6550a-flatwave-hdtv-antenna.html

Anyone ever use this site and/or its antennas?

I can mount outside and have a pretty clear line of sight from my roof North NorthEast to NO.

I also posted this as a new thread under Local HDTV Info and Reception... I think

Thanks

Frank

post #8199 of 8230 Old 03-06-2014, 09:48 PM

Haven't seen that site before your post, but the advice about an attic installation attenuates reception is true.

No need for separate HD and SD antennas (if there is such a thing). It's more a matter of directionality to the transmitters from your location and whether you want to leave an antenna fixed but pointed optimally for the stations you'll watch most, or use a rotator to swing the azimuth. All antennas differ in their reception patterns, but you might find a directional antenna with a wide enough "front lobe" that you won't need to rotate the azimuth, and might also discover the "back lobe" works sufficiently for some stations in the opposite direction.

An "HD" antenna is more likely one that's optimized for UHF frequencies and leaves off the old VHF elements. Older pre-digital-transition antennas still receive today's signals, but have elements no longer needed unless you want to split off a feed to your A/V system for FM radio.

Stations in the "High" VHF range (like WYES on RF11) can still be picked up by an HD antenna. Since FM radio is still in the same spectrum space between Low VHF and High VHF, you might want a separate FM antenna. Keep in mind that multiple antennas can actually interfere with each other if not installed according to relevant guidelines.

The most detailed transmitter location, signal strength, and azimuth-from-your-address info I'd recommend you check is found at TVFool.com, but also take a look at antennaweb.org for some ideas about antenna types and "range" categories.

Comparisons of commercially available antennas are available at HDTVPrimer.com.

And finally, for the sake of safety for your home as well as your gear, be sure you properly ground your installation(s). Go here and scroll down.

post #8200 of 8230 Old 03-10-2014, 09:52 PM

Newbie to OTA radio waves here 

A couple of years ago I installed a FM Terk 50 antenna in my attic. Today I hooked it up to my TV just to see what would happen. I am getting about 25-30 channels (4.1, 4.2, etc.). I seem to be having a problem receiving 32.1-32.4 (WLAE) and 12.1-12.2 (WYES) at the same time. Neither work with the amp on. With the amp off 32 works on the "first" TV but not the "second". 12 is not working on either or so its seems as I've been piddling with this for only a few hours now.

Setup is as follows: 

My FM Terk 50 antenna is in the attic parallel to the ground facing North. 5 feet of coax is between the antenna and the splitter. 12 ft of coax is between the splitter and my first TV (basically up the wall into the attic). I attached an existing coaxial that is running to the north end of my home to a second TV. I noticed that this coax has 3 female to female connectors along the 50 ft length from the splitter (4 shorter coax's connected). 

The splitter is a MSPLIT8R0-01 2-2150 MHz and was already in the attic so I gave it a try. Of the 8 outputs, I am using 3 (2 TVs mentioned above, 1 FM Radio, 4 have 75ohm caps, and 1 is connected to a coax that is not hooked to anything (I didn't see any other caps lying around...).

The amp was also already in the attic. It is a "SWM" Model PI 21 R1-03. Freq Range 2-2150 MHz. Insertion Loss 1.5 dB typ. Output 21v --- 1.2A max/25.2W max.

My FM radio reception seems like it should be way better, its choppy almost unbearably. I am happy with the DTV reception although 12.1 and 32.1 are definitely channels that I want! Both of these signals are close and considered "Strong".

What could be causing this? Not enough shielding? Too much gain? Wrong Antenna? Should I put the antenna outside? The attic does not have any foil other than a few air ducts but nothing higher than the antenna or on the roof itself.

My TV Fool interactive map is located here http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90

and Signal Analysis is here http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94d28894cba7

(don't know how to read this one)

post #8201 of 8230 Old 03-11-2014, 02:27 PM

Antennas only work optimally with their designed RF channel frequencies, not the "virtual" channels (like 12.x and 32.x) that correspond to their old analog channel assignments pre-transition. An "FM" antenna is going to work well for signals in the FM band, with anything adjacent (like the former Low VHF ch's 2-6 or High VHF ch's 7-13) tapering off rapidly the farther away you get from the FM portion of the spectrum. Here's a good TV and FM Broadcast Frequency list.

WYES (on RF ch 11--High VHF) and WLAE (on RF ch 31--UHF) are too far away from the FM band for your Terk 50 to be efficient, even if pointed optimally. That antenna is bidirectional, so it's "sweet spots" are lobe shapes toward the front and back.

Your 1st link leads to a normal page, nothing specific to your address, but probably good that you haven't posted anything so specific online. The 2nd link provides a great deal of info to sift through--too much to generalize about, other than recommending your keep looking it over and searching for info on terms you want to learn more about.

post #8202 of 8230 Old 03-11-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

You need to get rid of that Directv power supply and splitter and replace it with the proper OTA gear.
post #8203 of 8230 Old 03-14-2014, 08:08 PM

Bargain Hunter - Thanks

ProjectSHO89 - ok, can you elaborate please? I'm new to most of this

post #8204 of 8230 Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Start simply and go from there. A basic UHF antenna with no power should get all of the NOLA channels except WYES from your location. You'll need an antenna with VHF-HI capability for WYES as it is on channel 11. Boosting the signal might cause more problems than it solves.
post #8205 of 8230 Old 03-29-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwoolley View Post

Hi guys,To receive the most OTA channels, do I need two antennas, one for HD and one for SD? What antenna is best for Marrero to receive as many channels as possible (BR - Biloxi, etc)? 

I've been looking at this site 
http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/new-orleans-tv-stations.html

They have three antennas available, HD Stacker, EZ HD, and the Wineguard Flatwave found here http://dennysantennaservice.com/winegard-fl6550a-flatwave-hdtv-antenna.html

Anyone ever use this site and/or its antenna

I live in Lockport,LA. and I have Denny's HD Stacker antenna. I've had this antenna for 4yrs. now and it works great.I have my antenna outside about 35 feet high. I can catch all the N.O. & Baton Rouge stations. Here is a link to my TV Fool report:http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9900d006f15e2a
I live about 35 to 40 miles from the N.O. stations and about 60 to 65 miles from the Baton Rouge stations.
Most nights I can pull in WLOX, WMAU ,WXXV -- Biloxi stations are about 115 miles from my location.
post #8206 of 8230 Old 03-31-2014, 09:01 AM

no such thing as HD antennas. that's a sales gimmick. there are indoor antennas good, so-so and bad and outdoor antennas good, so-so and bad. most hidef channels are in the UHF band. a few are still in the old VHF frequency range. when u buy, make sure it will pick up any HD channels still in VHF. in my case, that's the main PBS channel for metro New Orleans. Other than that, my UHF indoor tack on the wall flat LEAF antenna pulls in all the main channels and their sub-channels. your outdoor up in the sky antenna should be all u need.
post #8207 of 8230 Old 05-01-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi all. Any recommendations for an inexpensive VHF and UHF indoor antenna?

I'd been using a cheap Zenith antenna on our old analog TV along with a digital to Analog converter box, but we were recently gifted a 42 inch Hitachi LED TV. To my surprise, I couldn't pick up WYES on the new TV. After reading this thread, I realize it's because my antenna must not be VHF capable.

I live in Mid-City and reception has generally been pretty good with the Zenith, so I don't think I need a super powerful antenna, just one that's going to get the job. Any suggestions?
post #8208 of 8230 Old 05-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
^^^
Is the Hitachi brand new? Are you sure the vhf tuner is working properly? Most uhf antennas should be capable of receiving WYES, especially in your location. In fact I'd almost think that maybe you're overloading the tuner... too strong a signal. I have a uhf only antenna mounted in my attic, in Covington, and get WYES perfectly . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #8209 of 8230 Old 05-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryewhiskey View Post

Hi all. Any recommendations for an inexpensive VHF and UHF indoor antenna?

I'd been using a cheap Zenith antenna on our old analog TV along with a digital to Analog converter box, but we were recently gifted a 42 inch Hitachi LED TV. To my surprise, I couldn't pick up WYES on the new TV. After reading this thread, I realize it's because my antenna must not be VHF capable.

I live in Mid-City and reception has generally been pretty good with the Zenith, so I don't think I need a super powerful antenna, just one that's going to get the job. Any suggestions?

If your old antenna looks like a traditional old one, there are two parts, the loop (that's the UHF part) and the poles ("bunny ears", that's the VHF part). Try extending the poles out and repositioning them. If that antenna has the poles at all, you should be able to tune WYES with it.
post #8210 of 8230 Old 05-03-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

^^^
Is the Hitachi brand new? Are you sure the vhf tuner is working properly? Most uhf antennas should be capable of receiving WYES, especially in your location. In fact I'd almost think that maybe you're overloading the tuner... too strong a signal. I have a uhf only antenna mounted in my attic, in Covington, and get WYES perfectly . . .

Now I'm even more confused. It turns out it is a UHF/VHF antenna with both the poles and loop. I used it to pick up WYES on my old TV with a digital-to-analog converter and the WYES stations came in crystal clear. Now, using the same antenna with the Hitatch, I can't get any of them.

To answer your question, it's not a new TV. It's about six years old. Could it be a bad VHF tuner in the TV? WYES is the only station I really notice, but maybe I'm missing other over the air stations too.

I guess I'll try repositioning the antenna, but I'd be surprised if moving it a few feet makes any difference.
post #8211 of 8230 Old 05-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now I'm even more confused. It turns out it is a UHF/VHF antenna with both the poles and loop. I used it to pick up WYES on my old TV with a digital-to-analog converter and the WYES stations came in crystal clear. Now, using the same antenna with the Hitatch, I can't get any of them.

To answer your question, it's not a new TV. It's about six years old. Could it be a bad VHF tuner in the TV? WYES is the only station I really notice, but maybe I'm missing other over the air stations too.

I guess I'll try repositioning the antenna, but I'd be surprised if moving it a few feet makes any difference.

First of all, don't forget to re-scan for channels. If you never did tune WYES with this TV, it won't come in, even if the antenna is receiving it. If WYES shows up on the channel list, but is is not tuning (giving you a "No Signal" type screen, but identifying that it is on channel 12-1) then you should be adjusting the antenna. If the TV has a signal meter built in, use it. If you don't see channel 12-1, 12-2, 12-3 on the list, re-scan.

Also, sometimes retracting the poles will help. Fully extended won't necessarily give you the best signal. Orientation is also important. Flat out (perpendicular to the ground) will often get you a better signal than a "V". However, from your location, just having the VHF portion there and connected should be enough to at least tune the channel. Make sure the antenna is connected properly. If the antenna is really old and has flat 300ohm connecters instead of a 75ohm (think 4 Y shaped connectors attached to 2 flat wires) make sure that both pairs are connected to the 75ohm adapter (the thing that allows you to attach those wires to the cable stud).

I suspect a rescan will get you back in business (hope!) Here's a channel list for the NOLA metro area:

Virtual (Physical) Call Def Net Format PSIP [Note]

4.1 (36) WWL HD CBS 1080i WWL-HD
4.2 (36) WWL SD LWN 480i LIVEWEL [16:9]
6.1 (43) WDSU HD NBC 1080i WDSU-TV
6.2 (43) WDSU SD MeT 480i MeTV
8.1 (29) WVUE HD FOX 720p FOX8 HD
8.2 (29) WVUE SD Bou 480i FOX8 SD
12.1 (11) WYES HD PBS 720p WYES-HD
12.2 (11) WYES SD PBK 480i WYESSD1
12.3 (11) WYES SD Cre 480i WYESSD2
20.1 (21) WHNO SD LeS 480i WHNO-D1
20.2 (21) WHNO SD Wea 480i WHNO-D2
20.3 (21) WHNO SD WHT 480i WHNO-D3
26.1 (26) WGNO HD ABC 720p WGNO-DT
26.2 (26) WGNO SD ATV 480i AntTV
28.1 (28) KNLD SD DTN 480i KNLD-LD [LP]
32.1 (31) WLAE HD PBS 1080i WLAEHD
32.2 (31) WLAE SD MHz 480i MHzWLAE
32.3 (31) WLAE SD CTV 480i CTVWLAE
32.4 (31) WLAE SD Vme 480i VMeWLAE [ESP]
38.1 (15) WNOL HD CW 1080i WNOL-DT
38.2 (15) WNOL SD Ths 480i ThisTV
41.1 (41) KNOV HD Bch 720p KNOV
42.1 (42) KGLA SD TMD 480i KGLA-DT [ESP]
47.1 (47) K47JO SD HSN 480i K47JO [LP]
49.1 (50) WPXL HD ION 720p ION
49.2 (50) WPXL SD qub 480i qubo
49.3 (50) WPXL SD ILf 480i IONLife
49.4 (50) WPXL SD STV 480i ShopTV
49.5 (50) WPXL SD QVC 480i QVC
54.1 (24) WUPL HD MNT 1080i WUPL-HD
54.2 (24) WUPL SD MuF 480i MUNDFOX [ESP]
post #8212 of 8230 Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 PM

So frustrating! I get all the channels listed above with the exception of 12-1, 12-2 and 12-3. I've tried resetting and rescanning several times with the antenna in different positions each time, but the 12's still never show up on my channel list. Sometimes the channel scan adds 11 and/or 18, but there's never a signal, just static. I can't imagine it's a problem with antenna seeing as I could get Channel 12 on our old analog TV with it.
post #8213 of 8230 Old 05-06-2014, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Trying to receive VHF indoors is often a mission in futility. Too much noise and not enough signal.
post #8214 of 8230 Old 05-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So frustrating! I get all the channels listed above with the exception of 12-1, 12-2 and 12-3. I've tried resetting and rescanning several times with the antenna in different positions each time, but the 12's still never show up on my channel list. Sometimes the channel scan adds 11 and/or 18, but there's never a signal, just static. I can't imagine it's a problem with antenna seeing as I could get Channel 12 on our old analog TV with it.

This is an extreme suggestion, but short of a new antenna it may work. Try putting the antenna much higher up in the air and/or outside and then re-scanning. Once the TV tunes WYES, you can bring it inside to reposition it until it comes in satisfactorily to bring up the stability. Of course, you can always spring for a new antenna. An attic mount or outdoor antenna will solve your problem.
post #8215 of 8230 Old 05-06-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore_bluto View Post

This is an extreme suggestion, but short of a new antenna it may work. Try putting the antenna much higher up in the air and/or outside and then re-scanning. Once the TV tunes WYES, you can bring it inside to reposition it until it comes in satisfactorily to bring up the stability. Of course, you can always spring for a new antenna. An attic mount or outdoor antenna will solve your problem.

I'd happily spring for a new, more extensive antenna if that's the problem, but how can you be sure? Like I said, the antenna picked up Channel 12 on our old analog TV, which was located in pretty much the same spot as the "new" digital TV, so it must be capable of picking up a signal.
post #8216 of 8230 Old 05-06-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Define "picked up." Do you mean 100% clear and free of snow, sparklies, ghosts, and other imperfections? If not, then that position probably wasn't good enough. (VHF signals are very touchy about that sort of thing in a way UHF signals aren't.)

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8217 of 8230 Old 05-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd happily spring for a new, more extensive antenna if that's the problem, but how can you be sure? Like I said, the antenna picked up Channel 12 on our old analog TV, which was located in pretty much the same spot as the "new" digital TV, so it must be capable of picking up a signal.

Analog 12 and digital 11 are two different beasts. I suspect you are suffering from ridiculous multipath problems. When you watched analog 12, did you see ghosting? Getting even that old antenna up really high would more than likely solve the problem, but I'm talking 3rd floor high.

Can you borrow another antenna? Or hit a store with a good return policy? At this point, that's what I would try if you insist on an indoor rig that's set-top bound.

EDIT: I think I'm also confusing an issue. When you are referring to the analog TV, you mean the analog TV with the converter box, right? If that's the case. See what happens if you get that converter back out and hook it up to the new TV. Plug it into the AV jacks on the new TV and see if you can get WYES that way on your new TV with the same antenna. If that works, you can rule out the antenna. It could be that the tuner in the new TV has issues. I know some digital tuners work better than others and/or your tuner is malfunctioning (you said the set was 6 years old).
post #8218 of 8230 Old 05-06-2014, 03:28 PM

Just to be clear, when I say I used to pick up Channel 12 on our old analog TV, I mean I used to use an antenna and digital-to-analog converter box to watch the channels listed above as 12.1, 12.2 and 12.3 While I have some vague memories of pixelations and/or freeze ups when using rabbit ears in general, I don't have any recollections of there being problems specifically with Channel 12, which leads me to believe the reception was pretty good. In any event, for whatever channel I was watching, all I'd have to do is move the antenna a little and the picture would come back fine.

If my reception of Channel 12.1 had been noticeably weak and pixelated before, I could understand how my current problem might be related to the antenna's reception, but it just doesn't seem to make sense -- to me at least -- that reception could go from good to not at all overnight unless there was some issue with the TV itself.

As for breaking out the digital to analog box again, would that even work? I'll give it a try if you think it's worth it.

Thanks again for all the help!
post #8219 of 8230 Old 05-07-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As for breaking out the digital to analog box again, would that even work? I'll give it a try if you think it's worth it.

Yes it will work for reception of ch 12. But, it won't be HD. It will re downrezed because it was supposed to work with an analog TV set, Not a HD set.

Don H.
post #8220 of 8230 Old 06-17-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
COZI TV coming soon to WHNO:

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/7...-eight-markets

dtv_junkie87
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version