New Orleans, LA - HDTV - Page 275 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8221 of 8246 Old 06-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 196
New theme music and multi-colored graphics with overly large text boxes..
I thought I woke up in Indiana or something when I turned on the WWL newscast this morning . . .
wtkflhn likes this.

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8222 of 8246 Old 06-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
wtkflhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
New theme music and multi-colored graphics with overly large text boxes..
I thought I woke up in Indiana or something when I turned on the WWL newscast this morning . . .
You sure are right about the do not call list, not working!!!
wtkflhn is offline  
post #8223 of 8246 Old 06-27-2014, 10:06 PM
Senior Member
 
BargainHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New Orleans metro area
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hoping it doesn't become a trend

I saw the previous night's newscast where a reporter explained the new graphics, including their subject matter color scheme for the short vertical bars between story titles. About the only use I see for it is knowing when a story is coming that might include footage of you or someone you know if you happened to be present when the reporter was there and a camera was rolling.

Otherwise, it's just taking up even more real estate on the screen, including the now-mostly-useless area remaining to either side and below. It also covers up any graphics already embedded in footage from outside sources, like the brief identification of someone being interviewed.

Remember the uproar over the ever-present station and network logos--which to this day often hide critical items on the screen because the photographer or anchors in the studio don't know where the logo actually resides? I wonder how much they paid some consultant to fool them into thinking this was something good for viewers and/or revenue?
BargainHunter is offline  
post #8224 of 8246 Old 06-28-2014, 02:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 26
Posts: 14,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Sounds like the graphics Gannett already uses in many of its other markets, including DC. I don't watch it.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #8225 of 8246 Old 07-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
wtkflhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey WS. Sorry your having Sammy troubles. But your remark not to buy Samsung, threw me. Because I have a house full of them, including a 55in 3D set in the living room. Now don't slap me down for suggesting this, but that picture you're posting looks like the screen needs to DE-gaused. Maybe that's not true in this new flatscreen era. I'm not sure. I just wanted to make a suggestion. Shame on Sammy for not stepping up to fix a problem like this.

Don H
wtkflhn is offline  
post #8226 of 8246 Old 07-03-2014, 06:04 AM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
Hey WS. Sorry your having Sammy troubles. But your remark not to buy Samsung, threw me. Because I have a house full of them, including a 55in 3D set in the living room. Now don't slap me down for suggesting this, but that picture you're posting looks like the screen needs to DE-gaused. Maybe that's not true in this new flatscreen era. I'm not sure. I just wanted to make a suggestion. Shame on Sammy for not stepping up to fix a problem like this.

Don H
I wish that was the problem. But LCD screens really don't seem to be affected by magnetism at all. The issue is very difficult to photograph. The picture that I posted makes it appear that the upper left area of the screen looks terrible too, but that is not the case. The issue is the dark spot midway up the screen several inches from the right edge. The technician THAT SAMSUNG SENT said it was bad and that the panel should be replaced. But he only has the advantage of seeing it it real-life. The Samsung techs in who-the-F-knows-where have said this is NORMAL. They over-ruled the service technician that laid actual eyeballs on the problem. Of course.. it's not their $3500 set . . .

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #8227 of 8246 Old 07-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
wtkflhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
I wish that was the problem. But LCD screens really don't seem to be affected by magnetism at all. The issue is very difficult to photograph. The picture that I posted makes it appear that the upper left area of the screen looks terrible too, but that is not the case. The issue is the dark spot midway up the screen several inches from the right edge. The technician THAT SAMSUNG SENT said it was bad and that the panel should be replaced. But he only has the advantage of seeing it it real-life. The Samsung techs in who-the-F-knows-where have said this is NORMAL. They over-ruled the service technician that laid actual eyeballs on the problem. Of course.. it's not their $3500 set . . .
Is this one of those new, super TV's I've been hearing about? $3500.00? No wonder you're pissed! I payed about $2500 for my 55in, 3D tv about 2 years, and I thought that was a lot. I think there is a Sammy user group on their web site. I don't know if you can get in there and make some noise, but you might give it try. I would think they might block you but WTH, give it try.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline  
post #8228 of 8246 Old 08-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
wtkflhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question Carriage agreements.

Well folks. It should be an interesting weekend. On the one hand we have FOX8 in a carriage spat with DTV, and on the other, we have WDSU in a dispute with COX. Oh Dear, both agreements end on 8/31.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline  
post #8229 of 8246 Old 09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Senior Member
 
wtkflhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok folks, from what I'm seeing on Facebook today, Fox8 has been dropped from DTV. No comments anyone?

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline  
post #8230 of 8246 Old 09-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Senior Member
 
BargainHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New Orleans metro area
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
Ok folks, from what I'm seeing on Facebook today, Fox8 has been dropped from DTV. No comments anyone?

Don H.
OTA here, so not a problem.
xcapri79 likes this.
BargainHunter is offline  
post #8231 of 8246 Old 11-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Senior Member
 
BargainHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New Orleans metro area
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My DVR added a new WVUE subchannel 8.3 called GRIT (official network web site). Wikipedia has a good description of the programming and other affiliates.
xcapri79 likes this.
BargainHunter is offline  
post #8232 of 8246 Old 11-12-2014, 05:11 AM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainHunter View Post
My DVR added a new WVUE subchannel 8.3 called GRIT (official network web site). Wikipedia has a good description of the programming and other affiliates.
And the erosion of HDTV quality continues. The glory days are truly behind us . . .

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #8233 of 8246 Old 11-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
wtkflhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
And the erosion of HDTV quality continues. The glory days are truly behind us . . .
WS,

Did you ever get in satisfaction from Samsung? Inquiring minds want to know.

Don H
wtkflhn is offline  
post #8234 of 8246 Old 11-19-2014, 06:49 AM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
WS,

Did you ever get in satisfaction from Samsung? Inquiring minds want to know.

Don H
No. I've considered painting BLACK BARS on the left and right edges and making a 4:3 set out of it. Would have to beat seeing the disgusting dark spot that's visible 90% of the time during normal viewing . . .

Samsung says the spot is normal. Funny how I've never seen a "normal" spot like this on any Samsung on display in a store . . .

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #8235 of 8246 Old 11-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Senior Member
 
wtkflhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sorry WS, Didn't mean to stir up old mud. By the way, maybe you could get Bill Cappo from channel four, or someone like him involved.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline  
post #8236 of 8246 Old 01-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
WS,

Did you ever get in satisfaction from Samsung? Inquiring minds want to know.

Don H
MAYBE, just MAYBE there is hope. Samsung agreed TODAY to replace the panel in the TV. It's SUPPOSED to happen next week. We'll see.. It certainly can't be any worse than it is now . . .



Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	504209

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #8237 of 8246 Old 01-26-2015, 01:41 PM
Senior Member
 
wtkflhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
MAYBE, just MAYBE there is hope. Samsung agreed TODAY to replace the panel in the TV. It's SUPPOSED to happen next week. We'll see.. It certainly can't be any worse than it is now . . .



Attachment 504209
Boy,
You sure worked hard for that. Congratulations!

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline  
post #8238 of 8246 Old 01-26-2015, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
wtkflhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Attn: Louis Poche. WVUE ch 708 psip inf

Louis,

For the last few weeks, I have noticed that the psip info is missing on Cox EB Jefferson parish cable system. Thought you should know.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline  
post #8239 of 8246 Old 01-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
Boy,
You sure worked hard for that. Congratulations!

Don H.
I'm holding my breath. I'm looking forward to being able to watch TV without getting constantly distracted (and filled with rage). This started when the set was about 6 weeks old (past the return period to Amazon) and it's gotten progressively worse as the months went by. I have about 3 months left on the original Samsung "warranty", so I decided to try once again to have them fix it. Third time's the charm... maybe. I'll wait and see what happens next week . . .

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #8240 of 8246 Old 03-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
tvengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
Louis,

For the last few weeks, I have noticed that the psip info is missing on Cox EB Jefferson parish cable system. Thought you should know.

Don H.

Thanks.. I will pass that on to the guy who knows about such things.
Louis
tvengineer is offline  
post #8241 of 8246 Old 03-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
 
tvengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
And the erosion of HDTV quality continues. The glory days are truly behind us . . .

Those two subchannels are set to such a low data rate they should not interfere with the bandwidth for the main channel.
Also, we installed a new encoder that does statistical multiplexing .. so the main channel will steal bandwidth from the subchannels if it needs it.
BargainHunter likes this.
tvengineer is offline  
post #8242 of 8246 Old 04-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
wtkflhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvengineer View Post
Thanks.. I will pass that on to the guy who knows about such things.
Louis
Louis,
Since I wrote you on the first notice of missing psip info, all the clear qam station are missing psip, including the subs ch's.

I guess the good news is that Cox in not just picking on WVUE.
Don H.
wtkflhn is offline  
post #8243 of 8246 Old 04-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Senior Member
 
tvengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
Louis,
Since I wrote you on the first notice of missing psip info, all the clear qam station are missing psip, including the subs ch's.

I guess the good news is that Cox in not just picking on WVUE.
Don H.

Yea.. we have a few TVs at the station that are connected directly to cox without a converter box.. but none of them would show PSIP...
WE had to connect a different TV without the cox box and rescan to find the clear HD channels.. and none of them seem to have PSIP data.

Didn't know that before.
tvengineer is offline  
post #8244 of 8246 Old 07-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Newbie
 
mdr01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else been having problems with the OTA signal from WWL 4.1? For the past several weeks, during the day, the signal will be fine one minute in the 80% range and then drop out to nothing the next. I'm in Metairie.

This is happening on multiple devices (TVs, DVRs, HTPC tuners) and I'm not seeing any problems from any other stations. When it first started, I thought it was just bad weather, but there's been so little rain that now I'm thinking it must be something else.

All I'm really watching on WWL lately is the news. I'm having problems for the noon and 5-6pm broadcasts, but not the 10pm broadcast.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
mdr01 is offline  
post #8245 of 8246 Old 07-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
wtkflhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr01 View Post
Has anyone else been having problems with the OTA signal from WWL 4.1? For the past several weeks, during the day, the signal will be fine one minute in the 80% range and then drop out to nothing the next. I'm in Metairie.

This is happening on multiple devices (TVs, DVRs, HTPC tuners) and I'm not seeing any problems from any other stations. When it first started, I thought it was just bad weather, but there's been so little rain that now I'm thinking it must be something else.

All I'm really watching on WWL lately is the news. I'm having problems for the noon and 5-6pm broadcasts, but not the 10pm broadcast.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
I'm in Metairie too, I haven't notice any trouble from Ch 4.1.
wtkflhn is offline  
post #8246 of 8246 Old 08-12-2015, 03:25 PM
Member
 
volfan6415's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've noticed issues with 4.1 as well. I always thought that it was something with my setup. I am using an hd-homerun and WMC. The blip only happens for a second and then corrects itself.
volfan6415 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off