New Orleans, LA - HDTV - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-30-2006, 09:49 AM

Location: Luling, LA (15 miles upriver from New Orleans on the west bank of the Mississippi River)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAStarsFan View Post

I hadn't heard about this, either. I'll miss Sunday Night Football and NHL hockey on Saturday afternoons in HD.

I would assume they'll be replacing it with another HD channel. But since it's Cox, I wouldn't hold my breath.

You are exactly right - no Sunday Night Football in HD on Cox, and no tower in New Orleans to get it OTA - which is why I am here trying to figure out the best way to get Sunday Night Football in HD OTA from Baton Rouge.

It will now be A & E HD on Channel 706, according to what Cox posted on their website. You have to dig and search to find the page, but it is there. I haven't posted enough here yet to be allowed to post URLs, otherwise I'd post the link to it.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meohman1 View Post

You are exactly right - no Sunday Night Football in HD on Cox, and no tower in New Orleans to get it OTA - which is why I am here trying to figure out the best way to get Sunday Night Football in HD OTA from Baton Rouge.

Unbelieveable. WDSU<->Cox need to get their act together. I thought the HD broadcast of the Saints in the Dome last week was a good indicator for New Orleans' recovery [and a nice gesture for its residents] (isn't WDSU going to do the rest of the Saints home games this season). Now, by doing this, they're denying New Orleanians even *THAT*.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Cox and Hearst-Argyle (WDSU) have been in contract extension for a while, and it ends Oct. 1. You can google Cox and Hearst-Argyle and you will find a message from WDSU. Cox also has a page on their website explaining the change, even saying that on October 1, channel 706 (where WDSU-DT was) will become A & E HD.

Hearst-Argyle wants a fee (like Belo and Emmis, owners of WWL and Fox), and Cox is refusing to pay the fee for re-transmitting the HD signals. We'll still have the analog signal, but no HD from WDSU.

Mike

I believe I heard the same exact thing with the same station owner in the OKC, OK market. But they have an OTA signal to pick up as an alternative. Unbelieveable....

You do have a few choices...... I watch the NHL and Sunday night football games in HD at almost double the bit rate of normal HD, no commercials, no retarded sportscasters, just stadium sound on AMC-6 with a 90cm Ku-band dish. But this won't get you the other NBC programming.

Your best bet is to get Dish Network's HD setup with the Dish1000. Go to the Lyngsat link below for 129W and pick a market to "move" your service address to. Now you'll have all of your networks in HD, plus a bunch more HD channels that Cox doesn't offer. It's not the morally correct way to do things but if you have no other choices then this is the only way to go. Enjoy.....

How's the weather in Chicago or Atlanta?
Old 09-30-2006, 01:08 PM

Location: Luling, LA (15 miles upriver from New Orleans on the west bank of the Mississippi River)
[quote=digiblur]I believe I heard the same exact thing with the same station owner in the OKC, OK market. But they have an OTA signal to pick up as an alternative. Unbelieveable....

QUOTE]

Yes, this affects any station owned by Hearst-Argyle that currently allows Cox to re-brodcast it's HD transmission. If it weren't for the fact that WDSU has no tower - and won't have a tower until mid-2007 - it wouldn't be a big deal. I'd just tune it on OTA like WWL and Fox. So anywhere else in the country that is impacted by the Hearst-Argyle/Cox breakdown in negotiations will have the OTA option. There are several markets across the land that this impacts. It just so happens it hits New Orleans market harder because we currently don't have the OTA option.

There's lots of stuff to read about if you Google this.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescenthd View Post

Unbelieveable. WDSU<->Cox need to get their act together. I thought the HD broadcast of the Saints in the Dome last week was a good indicator for New Orleans' recovery [and a nice gesture for its residents] (isn't WDSU going to do the rest of the Saints home games this season). Now, by doing this, they're denying New Orleanians even *THAT*.

Here's a couple of links to the Cox - Hearst Argyle WDSU dispute:

http://www.cox.com/Louisiana/wdsuupdate.asp

http://www.wdsu.com/download/2006/09...20and%20cox%22

Mike
Old 09-30-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Here's a couple of links to the Cox - Hearst Argyle WDSU dispute:

http://www.cox.com/Louisiana/wdsuupdate.asp

http://www.wdsu.com/download/2006/09...20and%20cox%22

Mike

And a couple more links to the Cox - Hearst Argyle dispute (nationwide):

http://www.thehometownchannel.com/ne...68/detail.html

http://www.ketv.com/station/9789943/detail.html

Basically, Cox is maintaining they should not have to pay for the transmission rights to HD (DT) programming that anyone can get OTA. They took this same stance with Belo (who owns WWL-TV (CBS affiliate) in New Orleans) more than 2 years ago, and more recently Emmis (who owns Fox 8 (Fox affiliate) in New Orleans), and now Hearst Argyle (who owns WDSU (NBC affiliate) in New Orleans). That's why Cox in New Orleans does not have Channel 4.1 DT, Channel 8.1 DT, and now Channel 6.1 DT programming in their HD line-up. That means for the New Orleans market, Cox does not offer CBS, Fox, or NBC HD programming.

So unless I can pull in WVLA in Baton Rouge OTA, I won't be watching anything on NBC in HD, including Sunday Night Football.

Really, all Cox New Orleans can now offer to NFL fans who have HD is ESPN Monday Night Football. Direct TV is beginning to look better and better. Cox might be making a big mistake. Cox just may end up chasing their customers away. Most nights everything we watch comes from OTA. Now, it looks like all day Sunday and Sunday night I will watch OTA to see NFL in HD.

Cox claims they are doing it (refusing to pay for transmission rights) so they won't have to charge HDTV subscribers more money, but they already charge us for HD service and for the HD box to get the service.

If the Cox New Orleans viewers lose the ABC HD on Cox, that'll just about do it. And I bet that won't be to far away, judging from the way the other owners are doing business.

Wake up Cox, smell the roses.

Mike
Old 09-30-2006, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Hey folks. A couple of things.

1) It's incredibly disappointing that WDSU/Cox are dropping the ball like this. I had just found the QAM channels a couple of days ago, watching the ND-Purdue game right now in HD on my series 3 Tivo, and it's very disappointing that I won't be able to record The Office in HD anymore.

2) I realize this isn't the Tivo forum, and this is something of a shot in the dark, but I figured there was a better chance of finding somebody over here that would have tried this in NO. I got a series 3 Tivo a week-and-a-half ago, called Cox New Orleans (I live in mid-city) to schedule a 2-cable-card install, and they seemed confused, to say the least. Their next available date for an install was October 10th (3 weeks later), and the csr was incredulous when I explained the need for 2 cable cards. So my question is this -- have any of you scheduled/had an install for a series 3 yet? If so, any problems?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

Hey folks. A couple of things.

1) It's incredibly disappointing that WDSU/Cox are dropping the ball like this. I had just found the QAM channels a couple of days ago, watching the ND-Purdue game right now in HD on my series 3 Tivo, and it's very disappointing that I won't be able to record The Office in HD anymore.

2) I realize this isn't the Tivo forum, and this is something of a shot in the dark, but I figured there was a better chance of finding somebody over here that would have tried this in NO. I got a series 3 Tivo a week-and-a-half ago, called Cox New Orleans (I live in mid-city) to schedule a 2-cable-card install, and they seemed confused, to say the least. Their next available date for an install was October 10th (3 weeks later), and the csr was incredulous when I explained the need for 2 cable cards. So my question is this -- have any of you scheduled/had an install for a series 3 yet? If so, any problems?

Thanks.

Do you mean the Cox DVR? I have the new Cox DVR - it is a Motorola 6416 Phase III. It has HDMI output and a larger hard drive than the 6412 - 160 gigs versus 120 gigs.

I don't have any experience with Tivo boxes - just the Motorola DVRs.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:00 PM

This whole Cox/Hearst Argyle leaves people like me, who can't get an antenna, out in the dark.

I live in an apartment building, and it would be a royal pain in the ass to get an antenna mounted legally on my building.

Yes, I've asked the complex's manager about it.

Short of moving into a house, which is something I can't afford right now, I don't know what else to do.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Do you mean the Cox DVR? I have the new Cox DVR - it is a Motorola 6416 Phase III. It has HDMI output and a larger hard drive than the 6412 - 160 gigs versus 120 gigs.

I don't have any experience with Tivo boxes - just the Motorola DVRs.

Nah, I mean the series 3 Tivo, which was released on 9-12-06, has dual tuner HD recording (both OTA and cable), and takes 2 cable cards. I figured I was probably one of the only people in the city right now w/ it (best buy/circuit city don't even have them here yet), but was hoping there was somebody out there in the city in the same situation.

BTW, the OTA HD tuner on this thing is GREAT.

Ah well, like I said it was a shot in the dark...
Old 09-30-2006, 08:29 PM

Your best bet is to get Dish Network's HD setup with the Dish1000. Go to the Lyngsat link below for 129W and pick a market to "move" your service address to. Now you'll have all of your networks in HD, plus a bunch more HD channels that Cox doesn't offer. It's not the morally correct way to do things but if you have no other choices then this is the only way to go. Enjoy.....

how do u change ur market. I have dish 1000 hd package and would love to get all the networks in hd.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Basically, Cox is maintaining they should not have to pay for the transmission rights to HD (DT) programming that anyone can get OTA.

Which they shouldn't pay extra for something that is available OTA.

Quote:

Direct TV is beginning to look better and better. Cox might be making a big mistake. Cox just may end up chasing their customers away. Most nights everything we watch comes from OTA. Now, it looks like all day Sunday and Sunday night I will watch OTA to see NFL in HD.

How is DirecTV looking better? They don't have the N.O. locals in HD.

Quote:

Cox claims they are doing it (refusing to pay for transmission rights) so they won't have to charge HDTV subscribers more money, but they already charge us for HD service and for the HD box to get the service.

They don't charge you extra for the HD service, you're paying for the box. Pick up a cable card and put it in your TV, it's cheap!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAStarsFan View Post

This whole Cox/Hearst Argyle leaves people like me, who can't get an antenna, out in the dark.

I live in an apartment building, and it would be a royal pain in the ass to get an antenna mounted legally on my building.

Yes, I've asked the complex's manager about it.

Short of moving into a house, which is something I can't afford right now, I don't know what else to do.

Can you see the southern sky?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnoel View Post

how do u change ur market. I have dish 1000 hd package and would love to get all the networks in hd.

Do some searching on DBSTalk.com and Satelliteguys.us and you'll find several threads on "moving".

FYI....and to be fair. I would still watch your local stations you can get via OTA/clear QAM in your area. If WDSU decides to remove themselves from Cox's system and to drag their feet on a DT signal, then I wouldn't blink an eye to use other avenues to get the programming.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:54 AM

i use my ota for everything except wdsu nbc. i just want sunday night football in hd
Old 10-01-2006, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I think this is the best thread for this question, but if not just let me know...

Can someone give me an up-to-date breakdown on local HD channels in the New Orleans market? Basically, I want to know what channels are definitely broadcasting in HD right now, which ones aren't, which ones are broadcasting at lower power, etc. I see bits and pieces, but don't know how much is still valid. I'm trying to figure out what I should be able to receive, before going into my attic to play around with antenna locations.

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:18 AM

I am replacing my 20 year old Rat Shack antenna with the CM4228. If I mount the CM4228 with CM7777 preamp on a 5 foot Rat Shack pole, will it be too much load for a CM9521A rotator? It will be outside on roof top with a tripod mount about 15 feet up. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

They don't charge you extra for the HD service, you're paying for the box. Pick up a cable card and put it in your TV, it's cheap!

They don't charge you for PBS, ABC, and CW HD (and they didn't charge for NBC HD), but they do charge you for HD service if you want the rest of their HD channels... Discovery, ESPN, etc.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:17 AM

of course todays nascar race is on NBC which people on the northshore have no option to get it in HD. I can't pickup baton rouge NBC.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:46 AM

Stations broadcasting a Digital signal from New Orleans - ABC, CBS, FOX, the CW, WB, MYNETWORKS TV, PBS and two independent stations (WPXL, WHNO)

Only ABC, FOX, CBS, and PBS are broadcasting HD content.

WWL DT36 (4.1) CBS is operating at full power on their transmitter at 1080i

WVUE DT29 (8.1) FOX is operating at full power on their transmitter at 720p

WYES DT11 (12.1) PBS is operating at full power on their transmitter at 1080i

WGNO DT15 (26.1) ABC is operating at full power at 720p on leased transmitter from WPXL DT50 (plan on being back to their own transmitter summer 2007)

NBC 6.1 (WDSU-DT 43) is not broadcasting at all. They say it will be summer 2007 before they rebuild their transmitter.

WB-38.1 (now The CW) (WNOL-DT 40) is currently broadcasting digital on leased transmitter from WPXL. (UHF 50) but is broadcasting 480i only and won't be back to 1080i till summer 2007

UPN-54.1 (WUPL DT 24 now MYNETWORK TV) is broadcasting digital on its transmitter (480i only) but since Katrina has not been broadcasting 1080i (no idea when they will be back to HD)

WPXL 49.3 DT49 (480i) Independent (religious)

WHNO 20.1 DT21 (480i) Independent (religious)

New Orleans pre Katrina -

CBS - WWL DT36 (4.1) full power on their transmitter at 1080i (Broadcasting HD content)

FOX - WVUE DT29 (8.1) full power on their transmitter at 720p (Broadcasting HD content)

PBS - WYES DT11 (12.1) full power on their transmitter at 1080i (Broadcasting HD content)

ABC - WGNO DT15 (26.1) full power on their transmitter at 720p (Broadcasting HD content)

NBC - WDSU DT43 (6.1) full power on their transmitter at 1080i (Broadcasting HD content)

WB - WNOL DT 40 (38.1) full power on their transmitter at 1080i (Broadcasting HD content)

UPN - WUPL DT 24 (54.1) full power on their transmitter at 1080i (Broadcasting HD content)

IND - WPXL 49.3 DT49 (480i) Independent (religious)

IND - WHNO 20.1 DT21 (480i) Independent (religious)

Jim
Old 10-01-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmproductions View Post

of course todays nascar race is on NBC which people on the northshore have no option to get it in HD. I can't pickup baton rouge NBC.

Here's the WVLA coverage: http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT497504.html

If you're Slidell you are going to have to get very creative with your OTA rig to get NBC-HD. If I had ZERO options for NBC-HD in my area I can guarantee you I would be calling DishNetwork yesterday and moving my service address. I bought an HDTV and I'm going to watch my networks in HD, if a station decides to not feed my TV either by OTA and Cox QAM, then I'll figure out another way to feed my TV NBC-HD.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a TIVO seriews 3 box, but no digital cable. So, I didn't fuss with Cox and it's cable cards. But, as info, what did they gig you for them?

Don H.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:10 PM

I am furious with Cox for dropping WDSU HD and with all the local stations for not working out deals with Cox re HD. I do have OTA capabilities, but since WDSU is not transmitting there are no options to receive NBC HD. Is there anything that we can do? I have emailed everyone I can think of to protest, but I doubt a single customer can have any influence.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocalaf View Post

I am furious with Cox for dropping WDSU HD and with all the local stations for not working out deals with Cox re HD. I do have OTA capabilities, but since WDSU is not transmitting there are no options to receive NBC HD. Is there anything that we can do? I have emailed everyone I can think of to protest, but I doubt a single customer can have any influence.

There's no amount of crying or posting on here that will help...trust me. Cut your losses....well it's really WDSU's losses... and watch another market's NBC-HD.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHDjunkie View Post

UPN-54.1 (WUPL DT 24 now MYNETWORK TV) is broadcasting digital on its transmitter (480i only) but since Katrina has not been broadcasting 1080i (no idea when they will be back to HD)

Thanks for the great list. I was thinking of posting a similar one, but you beat me to it.

I think I can add a bit of insight to why WUPL is not transmitting any HD content (ironic indeed since MYNetwork TV bills itself as the "all HD" network).

In June or July 2005, CBS, the owner of WUPL, entered negotiations to sell the station to Belo (the same company that owns WWL).

This was part of a larger selloff of several CBS/Paramount owned UPN affiliates in smaller markets. Basically, it was part of UPN's "death throws".

When the demise of UPN was announced, and CW gave preference to Tribune owned stations to become affiliates of CW (meaning WNOL in New Orleans), Belo pulled out of the deal. Belo's position is that they negotiated to buy a UPN affiliate, not a MyNetwork affiliate. The contract, they feel, was rendered null and void by the demise of UPN.

CBS has filed suit against Belo to try to force "specific performance" (force Belo to buy WUPL).

CBS is infuriated at the notion of owning a MyNetwork affiliate and is putting a bare minimum of effort into the station. There is no technical reason they can't be broadcasting HD (their control center, studios, and transmitter site were all spared any significant damage from Katrina), its just that their owner doesn't care.

As soon as the dust settles and someone buys WUPL (be that someone Belo or someone else), I suspect we'll see HD content on WUPL almost immediately.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

There's no amount of crying or posting on here that will help...trust me. Cut your losses....well it's really WDSU's losses... and watch another market's NBC-HD.

Well, tonight I gave it a chance and watched the Sunday Night Game in SD from WDSU analog via Cox. Unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I am about to order the CM4228 and the CM7777 from Solid Signal. TTL, shipping (ground), and everything comes to $137.93.

Hopefully, here in Luling, I can mount it outside, point it toward Baton Rouge, get NBC out of BR, and still get the New Orleans channels off the back lobe without having to turn the antenna. I am considering a tripod roof mount on the peak of the roof with a tripod and a 5' mast (about 20 feet total). If this works, the antenna in the attic will be removed.

If I have to use both antennas to keep from having to turn the 4228, (both antennas being the 4228 and the one in the attic - Radio Shack 10' VHF/UHF), can they come into the TV on the same coax, and if so, what do I have to do to combine the signals. Will the CM7777 allow me to combine them?

Any suggestions from anyone about the above quoted price, or mounting, or anything else? I can get the tripod and the mast from the local Radio Shack cheaper than online. Anyone else have a tripod roof mount? Do you use wires?

Mike
Old 10-01-2006, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From Luling, you should be fine with a 4228 and 7777 pointed at BR and picking up N.O. from the back lobe
Old 10-01-2006, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjso395 View Post

From Luling, you should be fine with a 4228 and 7777 pointed at BR and picking up N.O. from the back lobe

I think so too... make sure and mount the 7777 as close to the antenna as possible. Be sure to use RG-6. Also check out WarrenElectronics for their prices.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:57 PM

I wish I could get NBC HD from another market, but I live in the city and cannot get BR. Since I am not on Sat., I don't know how to do it.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocalaf View Post

I wish I could get NBC HD from another market, but I live in the city and cannot get BR. Since I am not on Sat., I don't know how to do it.

Switch HD providers for your HD needs.

Some may say...wait for DirecTV when they add the N.O. market's locals. But what makes you think they won't have the same problem is Cox is having it right now.