New Orleans, LA - HDTV - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #901 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 07:09 AM

Location: Luling, LA (15 miles upriver from New Orleans on the west bank of the Mississippi River)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cox fights back...

Cox posted this on their website, disputing WDSU's earlier claims and talking about the HDTV signal:

http://www.cox.com/Louisiana/wdsuupdate.asp

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 07:27 AM

Location: Luling, LA (15 miles upriver from New Orleans on the west bank of the Mississippi River)
What do you think about the Cox vs. Hearst-Argyle conundrum?

I just don't think Cox will reach an agreement with WDSU & Hearst-Argyle. Why? Because they haven't yet reached an agreement with Belo and WWL or Emmis and Fox 8 to carry their HD signals. If Cox refuses to pay for one, they'll refuse to pay for all of them. And even if they did manage to reach an agreement with WDSU and end up paying for that signal, then will they reach agreements with Belo & Emmis? I just don't see it happening.

Anybody else care to comment? Agree. Disagree.

Mike
post #903 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 07:51 AM

thanks for the info. I can't wait to see the eagles game on the big screen.
post #904 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 08:07 AM

Here's an article about the Cox vs. Hearst-Argyle fall out from North West Arkansas:

http://www.nwanews.com/nwat/News/45532/

This is an ABC affiliate owned by Hearst-Argyle that got the HD signals yanked from Cox. The good news here for the Cox customers is that this Cox market will get another ABC affiliate in HD from another market to replace the one owned by Hearst-Argyle.

Looks like Cox is playing hard ball.

Mike
post #905 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 10:46 AM

Another web article, this time from Nebraska, about the impact of the Hearst-Argyle versus Cox dispute. This one is titled - "Cox won't broadcast Nebraska-Iowa State game in high definition."

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/10/03/1948129.htm

This article says negotiations have ceased!

Mike
post #906 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 10:52 AM

Here's an article from KETV's website in Omaha, Nebraska. They are owned By Hearst-Argyle and their HD signal was yanked from the local Cox.

I love this one...

KETV is taking the offensive, and educating their viewers on what they need to do, what they need to buy, and what equipment they need to have to get their (KETV) digital and HD signal OTA before the big college game this weekend.

http://www.ketv.com/newsarchive/9972702/detail.html

Mike
post #907 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 11:12 AM

OUCH...

Here's a link to a Nebraska Cornhusker fan forum - some guy there actually started a thread blasting Cox and Hearst-Argyle because they can't watch the Nebraska games in HD.

These guys are HOT under the collar.

http://65.98.70.3/vbbs/showthread.php?t=31626

Mike
post #908 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 11:38 AM

Last week when I Googled "Hearst-Argyle and Cox", I saw maybe two links on the first page of results that dealt with the breakdown in negotiations. Today, the whole first page and some of the second page has links to this.

We're almost a week into this, we've been through the first or second episodes of new season network programming, and about to go into the first full weekend of college and NFL football with Cox cable subscribers in many areas of the country impacted by the loss of HD on one network or another owned by Hearst-Argyle.

Suddenly, the masses come alive and realize they are left standing in the cold, and their expensive HD sets won't be used to watch their favorite programming in HD.

There's going to be a lot of disappointed and mad Cox cable subscribers out there by Tuesday of next week. And there's going to be a lot of antennas, masts, mounts, HD tuners, pre-amps, and the like sold in the next few days.

Mike
post #909 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 12:06 PM

slwt13...

Here's a link to some antenna information:

http://www.hdtvpub.com/reception/vie...70112/dma_622/

Scroll down to about the second and third entry. It is somebody in Pearl River and somebody in Waveland, MS. who posted last year saying what antenna(s) they were using and what they picked up.

The Waveland guy is using a CM4228 in the attic for New Orleans and a combo antenna on the roof pointed the other way for other stations.

Mike
post #910 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Has Cox actually been charging customers for the local HD channels that they've been redistributing? If not, then why the heck should Cox pay the local stations anything? If so, then of course the local stations should receive a piece of that fee...

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #911 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 03:29 PM

Here is my take on the situation.

1) Previously, the local stations wanted their channel (SD) to be on cable. When cable started they actively begged cable systems to carry their stations because this is a way to get their product to as many housholds as possible.

2) Today most local stations now have digital/HD content. THey see it as an added value that people want. and feel that they can hold the cable companies hostage and make them pay for the added value of HD. (since Cable has customers clamoring for it.) And the cable companies can use the fact that they have local stations in HD as a marketing scheme to get new subscribers and upgrade existing subscribers to more expensive HD packages and STB's

3) the fact that these local stations broadcast digital/HD for free, makes their position of charging for cable retransmission rights.... contradictory. They want cable co's and Sat co's to pay them for something they broadcast OTA for free, simply because the cable and sat co's have a marketing opportunity to make money by having these channels on their systems.

4) So each side does have a point, legitimate or not, depending on which side you stand.

5) It's just too bad that with WDSU removed from COX, and no WDSU OTA.... It leaves absolutely no one, ZERO viewers, with the ability to watch WDSU's Digital Channel.

Who will cave? Will they reach an agreement? There is money on the table so I imagine so. but it might wind up costing a couple more dollars a month on your bill.

Jim
post #912 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Mike.

Frankly. I think that's what Cox should do here. Just import it from another market. I remember when Cox first started, they had a "make-good" chanel (I think it was ch 9). They had WAFB on there most of the time. But if there was something on the network that one of the local affiliates wasn't carrying, "bing", just switch ch9, and there it was!

Don H.

PS. I read the story from WDSU's website that had a link to Cox. I used it to tell Cox to stick to their guns, and NOT cave into H-A. The sent me a note of appreciation.
post #913 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 03:48 PM

I agree. COX should just import the BR NBC station. If it's possible.

I live on the Northshore and can't get it anyway but I would love it if they put the BR station on Cox New Orleans/

Jim
post #914 of 8230 Old 10-06-2006, 07:23 PM

Digiblur, BenHardy, & sjso395...

This evening, I put the 10' Rat Shack VHF/UHF rig on the roof with the tripod mount. It's about 25' up. It's pointing at BR as per Antennaweb.org suggested for my street address.

I'm getting 2.1 (ABC HD) out of BR better than 26.1 (ABC HD) out of New Orleans. 2.1 is VHF, I think. Better signal strength now from BR 2.1, and the BR station delivers DD 5.1 where 26.1 is only giving up Stereo tonight for Gray's Anatomy. Even Cox's HD version of Gray's Anatomy is stereo.

4.1 (WWL/CBS HD) is OK at 90-91% signal strength with DD 5.1.

Fox 8 at 8.1 from NOLA is good - about 88%.

I'm actually getting 3 different Fox stations now!

LPB out of BR is yuch - I deleted it from scan - very low signal - comes and goes repeatedly.

PBS out of NOLA - 12.1 - is about 75% but steady.

Aye, here's the rub. I did all of this to get 33.1 WVLA NBC out of BR for Sunday Night Football. It gives me about 75% - 82% (at least tonight from what I've monitored). Occasional dropouts (1 - 2 seconds max), but no pixillation.

As long as I have CBS in HD (from WWL 4.1 OTA from NOLA) and Fox 8 HD (from Fox 8.1 OTA from NOLA or really wherever I want to get it from) and NBC HD (33.1 WVLA from BR), I am good to go.

My situation - the last step for me now is the CM4228 mounted on the roof to improve WVLA 33.1. I already have the CM7777 in service with this 10' VHF/UHF combo rig on the roof.

I am trying to figure out how I can configure the CM4228 with the Rat Shack 10' VHF/UHF combo and not rob myself of the option to get ABC out of BR (VHF) and get a good strong solid signal for WVLA. It appears to me that my TV's ATSC tuner needs a solid steady 80% signal or better.

Any suggestions? I am thinking if I order the CM4228 and mount it on the same mast with the Rat Shack rig (I have room on the mast), combine the feeds with a splitter to the preamp then to the TV, with both rigs pointed at BR, I'll be OK.

I know I'll have to have two cables the same length from each antenna to the splitter to help stop ghosting. But will my plan work?

Talk to me - tell it like it is!

Mike

P.S. Since I wrote the original text above, WWL 4.1 as begun dropping out. So now I am thinking I need to turn it back to NOLA. I can try this tomorrow, very easily. I have good signal strengths, but it is very windy tonight. 26.1 is pixillating bad with 88% strength. I might have to go back to the attic. I will also check my cable connections tomorrow, I might have something loose up there. Darkness was overtaking me by the time I assembled and installed the tripod and disassembled the antenna in the attic and moved it to the roof and reassembled it, so the cable is just hanging off the bottom of the preamp and not secured to the mast - it might be flopping around in the wind.

I also have an HDTV tuner STB in the closet that I could use for one antenna, and the ATSC tuner in the TV for the other antenna. Point the CM4228 at BR and the VHF/UHF at NOLA, try combining the signals or using the STB HDTV tuner and leave the signals separate. And there's always the A/B switch option for choosing antennas. I don't want to and I won't do a rotor.
post #915 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 07:14 AM

Mike,
The rotator is the best thing since sliced bread. It makes all the difference in the world for me. I've had my Rat Shack rotator for 20 years when the inside controller broke and I replaced it with a Channel Master remote controlled one. I used to have to get up and turn a knob to the direction I wanted. Now, I just use the remote and press the programmed channel and it points the antenna to the exact location for the best signal. It couldn't be easier.
I'm in Ponchatoula and currently have the 20 year old Rat Shak antenna on the roof with preamp. I recently bought a 4228/7777 to replace the old setup. I get all the locals from N.O. and B.R. but sometimes have dropouts and pixellations, however this has not been as bad since getting the remote controller. Good luck!
post #916 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meohman1 View Post

This evening, I put the 10' Rat Shack VHF/UHF rig on the roof with the tripod mount. It's about 25' up. It's pointing at BR as per Antennaweb.org suggested for my street address.

I'm getting 2.1 (ABC HD) out of BR better than 26.1 (ABC HD) out of New Orleans. 2.1 is VHF, I think. Better signal strength now from BR 2.1, and the BR station delivers DD 5.1 where 26.1 is only giving up Stereo tonight for Gray's Anatomy. Even Cox's HD version of Gray's Anatomy is stereo.

4.1 (WWL/CBS HD) is OK at 90-91% signal strength with DD 5.1.

Fox 8 at 8.1 from NOLA is good - about 88%.

I'm actually getting 3 different Fox stations now!

LPB out of BR is yuch - I deleted it from scan - very low signal - comes and goes repeatedly.

PBS out of NOLA - 12.1 - is about 75% but steady.

Aye, here's the rub. I did all of this to get 33.1 WVLA NBC out of BR for Sunday Night Football. It gives me about 75% - 82% (at least tonight from what I've monitored). Occasional dropouts (1 - 2 seconds max), but no pixillation.

As long as I have CBS in HD (from WWL 4.1 OTA from NOLA) and Fox 8 HD (from Fox 8.1 OTA from NOLA or really wherever I want to get it from) and NBC HD (33.1 WVLA from BR), I am good to go.

My situation - the last step for me now is the CM4228 mounted on the roof to improve WVLA 33.1. I already have the CM7777 in service with this 10' VHF/UHF combo rig on the roof.

I am trying to figure out how I can configure the CM4228 with the Rat Shack 10' VHF/UHF combo and not rob myself of the option to get ABC out of BR (VHF) and get a good strong solid signal for WVLA. It appears to me that my TV's ATSC tuner needs a solid steady 80% signal or better.

Any suggestions? I am thinking if I order the CM4228 and mount it on the same mast with the Rat Shack rig (I have room on the mast), combine the feeds with a splitter to the preamp then to the TV, with both rigs pointed at BR, I'll be OK.

I know I'll have to have two cables the same length from each antenna to the splitter to help stop ghosting. But will my plan work?

Talk to me - tell it like it is!

Mike

P.S. Since I wrote the original text above, WWL 4.1 as begun dropping out. So now I am thinking I need to turn it back to NOLA. I can try this tomorrow, very easily. I have good signal strengths, but it is very windy tonight. 26.1 is pixillating bad with 88% strength. I might have to go back to the attic. I will also check my cable connections tomorrow, I might have something loose up there. Darkness was overtaking me by the time I assembled and installed the tripod and disassembled the antenna in the attic and moved it to the roof and reassembled it, so the cable is just hanging off the bottom of the preamp and not secured to the mast - it might be flopping around in the wind.

I also have an HDTV tuner STB in the closet that I could use for one antenna, and the ATSC tuner in the TV for the other antenna. Point the CM4228 at BR and the VHF/UHF at NOLA, try combining the signals or using the STB HDTV tuner and leave the signals separate. And there's always the A/B switch option for choosing antennas. I don't want to and I won't do a rotor.

what radio shack rig do you have on the roof? I need to go get something for tomorrow game. i already have 20' pole for my wind gauge and i could put an antenna on it. thanks
post #917 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmproductions View Post

what radio shack rig do you have on the roof? I need to go get something for tomorrow game. i already have 20' pole for my wind gauge and i could put an antenna on it. thanks

Right now I have a 10' Radio Shack antenna - VHF/UHF.

Mike
post #918 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Right now I have a 10' Radio Shack antenna - VHF/UHF.

Mike

I believe that's the VU190 XR

Jim
post #919 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 09:51 AM

Mike
If wind is a problem for your antenna, you might try some guy wire. Mine made it through Katrina with no problems.
post #920 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHDjunkie View Post

I believe that's the VU190 XR

Actually, the VU190 XR is a 13' long VHF/UHF. The one I have is more than 2 years old and 10' long, and Rat Shack doesn't carry that model any more.

I paid about 80 bucks for mine, the VU190 XR is about 100 bucks.

Mike
post #921 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 12:13 PM

well i got the U-75 from radio shack but still can't get 33.1 i'm in covington. so i'm going to take it back and try the VU-90 XR.
post #922 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post

Mike.

Frankly. I think that's what Cox should do here. Just import it from another market. I remember when Cox first started, they had a "make-good" chanel (I think it was ch 9). They had WAFB on there most of the time. But if there was something on the network that one of the local affiliates wasn't carrying, "bing", just switch ch9, and there it was!

Don H.

PS. I read the story from WDSU's website that had a link to Cox. I used it to tell Cox to stick to their guns, and NOT cave into H-A. The sent me a note of appreciation.

You can't import a channel outside of the DMA market. It's illegal. Now if there were two NBC's in the N.O. DMA then they could grab that one.
post #923 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WGNO is actually UHF on RF 15. The CM4228 should pick up RF 13 from WBRZ with no issues.

Here's what I would try. CM4228 pointed to BR (tweak direction via tuner strength) with CM7777 down to a two way splitter put backwards. Then tie in the RatShack antenna to the two way splitter pointed towards N.O. You should have an awesome setup then.
post #924 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

WGNO is actually UHF on RF 15. The CM4228 should pick up RF 13 from WBRZ with no issues.

Here's what I would try. CM4228 pointed to BR (tweak direction via tuner strength) with CM7777 down to a two way splitter put backwards. Then tie in the RatShack antenna to the two way splitter pointed towards N.O. You should have an awesome setup then.

I'm going to order the CM4228 normal ground, and do what you suggested next weekend. I tweaked the antenna direction a little this morning. I'm getting 90 - 91 % on 4.1 and 8.1 with it pointing at BR, and about 70 - 76% from 33.1. I get an occassional dropout on 4.1 (watching LSU in HD right now). I'll see how the Sunday night game looks from 33.1 in BR and the games tomorrow on 4.1 and 8.1.

I checked and double checked everything this morning. I found a suspect connection on the cable up to the CM7777. I changed out the F connector.

I have watched the signal meter and when 4.1 does dropout, there is no loss of signal. I find that strange.

So you're saying I'll still get 2.1 out of BR with the VHF/UHF pointed at NOLA? The CM4228 will pull it in?

Mike
post #925 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 01:58 PM

got the VU-90 xr from radio shack still can't get 33.1 nbc out of br. should i be able to get it if i get the CM4228?
post #926 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:

well i got the U-75 from radio shack but still can't get 33.1 i'm in covington. so i'm going to take it back and try the VU-90 XR.

I set up my old VU190 at a freinds house in Abita Springs and he was able to get NBC out of BR. In Covington you're probably a few miles closer so......

Of course we installed a pre amp too.

Jim
post #927 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you're saying I'll still get 2.1 out of BR with the VHF/UHF pointed at NOLA? The CM4228 will pull it in?

Mike

Yes, look a few posts back. I thought I posted an antenna comparison chart. There's a section for VHF on UHF antennas. They list the gain per channel. Check out the gain on 13. I'm in BR and pick up WBRZ with a CM4228 at 93-100% signal.
post #928 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

WGNO is on UHF 50. When they rebuild their transmitter they will be back on UHF 15

Jim
post #929 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 02:33 PM

I don't have a pre amp. whould that make a huge difference? the cable length is 50' i got the vu90 xr but still can't get nbc from br. the antenna is 20' in the air. I want to watch nascar in HD tomorrow. lol
post #930 of 8230 Old 10-07-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:

I don't have a pre amp. whould that make a huge difference? the cable length is 50' i got the vu90 xr but still can't get nbc from br. the antenna is 20' in the air. I want to watch nascar in HD tomorrow. lol

You have a PM

Jim

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page