1Likes

post #91 of 8230 Old 06-25-2005, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

Do you know if WWL has gone to 957kw yet? I can almost get them in my area and I'm hoping their signal isn't full power yet.

All of the New Orleans stations are at full power.

Jim

post #92 of 8230 Old 06-25-2005, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So all of the STA's listed for New Orleans on the FCC's website are no longer valid?
post #93 of 8230 Old 06-26-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

So all of the STA's listed for New Orleans on the FCC's website are no longer valid?

I 'm sure their STA's are valid. Probably up till July first. but so are the DT licenses

I've spoken to engineers from WVUE, WWL and WDSU this spring when I was having some reception problems and WVUE was the last New Orleans station to go full power.

Jim
post #94 of 8230 Old 08-02-2005, 08:04 AM

Channel six now doing weather on 6-2.
post #95 of 8230 Old 08-02-2005, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitz View Post

Channel six now doing weather on 6-2.

Good day for it.

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #96 of 8230 Old 08-10-2005, 05:32 AM

Is anyone having problems tuning 38-1? I was getting it fine prior to Monday (8/8/05). The TV is showing between 14% and 19% signal strength no matter how I point the antenna. I think prior to Monday it was around 80-90% but I don't remember exactly. I live in Chalmette and am using a silver sensor.

Scott
post #97 of 8230 Old 08-15-2005, 05:49 AM

It's back up now as of Saturday.

Scott
post #98 of 8230 Old 08-24-2005, 09:12 AM

Anyone know why ABC isn't showing Monday Night Football in HD? I tried calling Monday night but the only phone anyone would answer was the newsroom and they sounded pissed and said they were working on it. But it never went to HD.
post #99 of 8230 Old 08-24-2005, 11:01 AM

26 has not been doing a good job latley with switch flipping. I can get wbrz in BR. so I just get it there.
post #100 of 8230 Old 09-02-2005, 10:35 AM

Has any television coverage resumed?
post #101 of 8230 Old 09-02-2005, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Grim outlook for New Orleans media
It will take many months to rebuild after Katrina

By Nate Herpich and Diego Vasquez medialifemagazine.com

With the disaster in New Orleans seeming to worsen by the hour, the city's remaining media outlets are in full emergency mode, reporting on the chaos left by Hurricane Katrina and the mounting relief efforts as the city evacuates.

Many of those outlets are just now beginning to assess the damages caused by the storm and how long before they might return to full operation. Their biggest concern has been ensuring the well-being of workers. But there's the sense it that it could be many months, if not more, meaning it could take far longer for the city's media economy and that of the region to fully recover.

"In all honesty, the New Orleans market could be crippled six months to a year, if not longer," Dennis P. McGuire, vice president and regional spot director for Carat, tells Media Life.

Of the city's TV stations, only the CBS affiliate, WWL-TV, continues to broadcast, doing so from the Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.

As far as damage goes, it's too early to assess, we're still worrying about personnel," says Carey Hendrickson, communications vice president for WWL-TV parent Belo. As to costs incurred by the storm, Hendrickson says, "We are working through all those details right now. The truth is, we just don't yet know. We are in the throes of trying to work this all out.

The city's paper, the Times-Picayune, is publishing on it web site, but parent Advance Communications is not venturing a guess as to when it will resume putting out a print edition. As an interim step, it hopes to publish limited editions at papers outside the city.

Just when the paper can expect to begin repairs on its presses is the big unknown. Much will depend on when power is restored to the city, which could be weeks or even months away.

Actual press repairs could take months longer, depending on the extent of damage, says longtime newspaper analyst John Morton of Morton Research. The 270,000 circulation paper has 52 presses, and Morton notes the presses are highly susceptible to water damage, both because of their of their advanced electronics and the precision with which they are built. The computer system will most likely have to be replaced and the presses themselves taken apart, cleaned of contaminants from the flood water, and then rebuilt. The cost could run into the tens of millions of dollars, and that's before all the costs associated with rebuilding the infrastructure of the news operation.

As for the region's ad economy, media people say the destruction is all but unprecedented, making it that much harder to forecast recovery.

"I can't think of anything else like this, and I've tried," observes Carat's McGuire. "Even earthquakes or major fires have been limited in scope to certain areas, but they didn't stop people from getting to work. It's not like we know next Tuesday everyone will be back in place."

"I've never seen anything this widespread," says Sue Johenning, executive vice president and director of local broadcast at Initiative.

"This is not even close to what happened during the San Francisco earthquake. Most disasters affect a relatively small geographic area. New Orleans is underwater. Biloxi is pretty much gone."

Media people don't expect to see much ad spending anytime soon, certainly not in the coming days or weeks.

"It would be ridiculous to run spots," says Kathy Crawford, president of local broadcast at Mindshare. "Who in the world is watching TV? People who are can't go buy anything, they can't do anything. The few people who are watching TV are watching for information, they're not watching for commercials."

In the long-term, buyers see a slow recovery in the ad economy. Says Johenning of Initiative:

"It's going to take a long long time before advertising will come back to any sort of normalcy. I don't think we've begun to realize the severity of everything that's happened yet.

"I have no way of knowing, but it seems like it could be many, many months. I don't even want to speculate."

(Nate Herpich is a New York writer. Diego Vasquez is a staff writer for Media Life.)
post #102 of 8230 Old 09-03-2005, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm a few thousand miles away from the affected area, but I saw some activity in this thread and thought I'd have a look. It's kind of eerie that's there's been nothing posted here from the regulars since August 24th -- I do hope they are all safe.

As for the TV situation in New Orleans, the immediate outlook is not good from everything I've been reading in the trades and hearing from colleagues in the business. As the article fredfa posted says, there's only one TV station still on the air, WWL, and they're broadcasting from another city. I'm unclear as to whether or not they're transmitting from New Orleans, or from Baton Rouge. I've seen aerial footage of the transmitter sites of some other stations, and they're all under water. The stations themselves appear to be deserted -- if you look on the websites for them (WWL, WDSU, WGNO, WVUE), you'll see links where employees can check in to report their status. At least one station has a list of employees they have not heard from.

This is truly unprecedented. I can't recall any other event that shut down virtually all of the television stations in a major city, with no estimate of when they'll be able to resume operation, even on a limited basis. I read that the FCC has relaxed many of the rules to help them get back as soon as possible -- for instance, they can erect temporary antennas without seeking approval.

There's certainly going to be a lot of work that needs to be done. I wish them well.
post #103 of 8230 Old 09-03-2005, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
WDSU has been live webcasting for a few days now (at times from a hotel room). Sometimes the web feed was mirroring the broadcast feed from the Orlando, FL and Jackson, MS affiliates (can't remember the call letters off the top of my head). Looks like PAX 49i, (WJRD in Alabama? Not sure) is hosting their transmission signal now also.
post #104 of 8230 Old 09-03-2005, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeann View Post

WDSU has been live webcasting for a few days now (at times from a hotel room). Sometimes the web feed was mirroring the broadcast feed from the Orlando, FL and Jackson, MS affiliates (can't remember the call letters off the top of my head). Looks like PAX 49i, (WJRD in Alabama? Not sure) is hosting their transmission signal now also.

from what i've read and seen on the webcast, Pax/i Network 49 (WPXL) is feeding the WDSU signal for them since their transmitter went dead. Also, all of WDSU's programming is being aired via other stations owned by Hearst-Argyle; WAPT (Jackson, MS) does the programming during the day, then tag teams to WESH (Orlando) during the night. Ohh the beauty of fiber optic networks!
post #105 of 8230 Old 09-03-2005, 08:10 PM

KENS-TV in San Antonio is relaying WWL-TV on its digital channel 5-2.
post #106 of 8230 Old 09-04-2005, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WWL-TV was broadcasting yesterday from LPB's facility in Baton Rouge. I'm am heading back down next week to retrieve some of our stuff (if it has not been looted). Do not believe anyone would steal a big screen TV, but they probably would just tear it up for the hell of it.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #107 of 8230 Old 09-05-2005, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Was just thinking that when there is power back on and I can get my dish realigned would I be able to get the National Channels via Directv?

post #108 of 8230 Old 09-12-2005, 08:20 AM

WWL-DT (36) is up!
post #109 of 8230 Old 09-15-2005, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WYFF-DT in Greenville SC now carries the WDSU Weather Plus feed on a subchannel, as of a couple of days ago, in addition to its own Weather Plus of course. It carries continuous news about hurricane recovery during the day, and switches to MSNBC after about midnight. According to on-air notices, this is also available in Houston and Baton Rouge in addition to Jackson MS as previously noted.

WYFF is a Hearst-Argyle station like other stations that are carrying WDSU. The evacuees in upstate SC and western NC are surely the intended audience, but I've found it very interesting myself.
post #110 of 8230 Old 09-20-2005, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I went into New Orleans today and was on the East Side. Normally I can see all of the HD towers , but could not see any of them now.

It may be a long time before we see any OTA HD.

I have applied with Directv to see if I can get waivers for the Network HD stations.

post #111 of 8230 Old 09-21-2005, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

bttt

post #112 of 8230 Old 10-10-2005, 03:38 PM

Any luck with DTV? I got power last week and had no problem with my dish. Powered up and Tivo picked up where it left off... weird. Picking up WWL in HD OTA no problem. The local DTV signals are very poor right now... I'm @Mag and 2nd, in the Garden District. No damage to speak of and high and dry...
post #113 of 8230 Old 10-11-2005, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

No luck at all. WWL OTA is great most of the time. Channel 6 (Directv feed) is getting worse and almost unwatchable.

Am being transferred to Houston so have quit pushing the issue.

post #114 of 8230 Old 10-11-2005, 07:11 PM

thanks for trying. its unbelievable how the rest of the US has just forgoten about us. people from Beaumont to Billoxi are dealing with all kinds of crap and DTV can't push a button to make your day a little brighter? i swear people are more concerned about the quality of their foam on their starfux than what people are enduring.. we're doomed.
post #115 of 8230 Old 10-12-2005, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

That is one reason we are half way glad to leave for a while. New Orleans will always be home but it is to depressing to see it right now. I am sure Louisiana politics will delay any rebuilding of New Orleans also. I work for the company that was rebuilding the Desire & Florida Housing Projects and HANO has no idea what to do now. We (the company) has not even been paid for the July and August pay requests.

post #116 of 8230 Old 10-12-2005, 03:43 PM

I'm with you.. I can only take NO in small doses right now. My gf is in Houston and I'm glad she won't be back until Jan as its no fun here right now. The incompetance of our govt. local and federal just amazes me. What's worse is how they can cover it up at a national level so everyone thinks things here are sort of back to normal. Talked to family in the UK today and they thought we'd be rebuilt by Christmas.... I work for a large corp. in tourism and our people were thinking of Q2 06 BAU. Try Q2 07 (maybe).
post #117 of 8230 Old 10-12-2005, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

What makes it even worse is we were in the process of having a new house built in Pearl River. The house survived fine, but it will take a little longer to finish. Then yesterday I called the insurance company I was going to use and they are saying that no new policies will be written. I have the financing all lined, but now may not be able to get insurance.

post #118 of 8230 Old 10-28-2005, 09:03 AM

Hello all,

I have searched the forums and their no threads that I could find regarding this.

We only have ONE out of all the HD stations being transmitted now (WWL Channel 4-CBS) since Hurricane Katrina has knocked them out (most were in St. Bernard Parish).

I am currently a subscriber of the HD package from DTV. I have read all about the waivers and everything, but this is extenuating circumstances. Does anyone know how to go about convincing DTV to allow the national feeds to come through to certain zip codes known to be affected by Katrina? What's the best way to get the waivers?

I have already sent and email to the FCC regarding this, but don't expect to hear something. Hope they do answer though.

Thanks in advance!!

BuddhaDSS
post #119 of 8230 Old 10-30-2005, 08:22 AM

Please post the response from FCC/DTV... I'm in exactly the same position.. thanks
post #120 of 8230 Old 10-30-2005, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I will apply for a waiver as well. I'll try tomorrow. What do I have to lose?

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page