1Likes

post #2161 of 8230 Old 03-03-2007, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

Still getting dropouts on 33 and 44 in my area too. I don't think it is the tropo stuff causing it.

There are a couple of other ways to get NBC without the use of OTA or relying on WDSU that many people have employed here.

I was able to see Leno (33.1) last night without pixilations, but as you mentioned they are also back here today. So I guess I spoke to soon, sorry bout that. I'm like you now, puzzled as to what the problem really is. I don't rely on WDSU OTA for my NBC programming, I have Direct TV local channels. I was stating WDSU is only station that does not broadcast OTA HD or SD, only analog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 8230 Old 03-03-2007, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wdsu does broadcast OTA SD on Ch 6.

Don H.
post #2163 of 8230 Old 03-03-2007, 02:12 PM

I have found the QAM chs for WWL and WUPL on Cox. WUPL is, believe it or not, CH 54-1. Per my S3 Tivo box. It's the same as OTA. Makes it real easy for side by side comparisons.
WWL is on Ch 82.1.

Don H.
post #2164 of 8230 Old 03-03-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr757 View Post

I was able to see Leno (33.1) last night without pixilations, but as you mentioned they are also back here today. So I guess I spoke to soon, sorry bout that. I'm like you now, puzzled as to what the problem really is. I don't rely on WDSU OTA for my NBC programming, I have Direct TV local channels. I was stating WDSU is only station that does not broadcast OTA HD or SD, only analog.

I just watched the golf on 33.1. It seemed to start OK with a few pixelations pretty far apart. BUT, the later it got, the pixelations and drop outs became more frequent (just like last week).

So I, just like everyone else, am confused about what is going on. I only watch this channel to watch the golf in HD on the weekends, so I will put up with it until the golf switches back to CBS in the first week of April (The Masters)
post #2165 of 8230 Old 03-03-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Still getting dropouts on 33 and 44 in my area too. I don't think it is the tropo stuff causing it.

There are a couple of other ways to get NBC without the use of OTA or relying on WDSU that many people have employed here.

how? i got that radioshack outdoor antenna but tuning to RF34 just gives me a blue screen (no channel). it does give me Fox RF29 tho
post #2166 of 8230 Old 03-03-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr757 View Post

I guess I should have clarified... don't rely on WDSU to bring you NBC-HD.
post #2167 of 8230 Old 03-03-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyw View Post

how? i got that radioshack outdoor antenna but tuning to RF34 just gives me a blue screen (no channel). it does give me Fox RF29 tho

The DishNetwork "move" method or BellExpressVU.
post #2168 of 8230 Old 03-03-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:

The DishNetwork "move" method or BellExpressVU.

unfortunately i live in an apt, so satellite is out of the question

on a side note, does anyone else have lip-sync issues on TNT HD? i have gladiator on and theres a half second delay between the audio and the picture. at first i thought it was my tv, but none of the other channels have it and i hooked the dvr up to the computer via firewire and the recording had the lag as well
post #2169 of 8230 Old 03-03-2007, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyw View Post

unfortunately i live in an apt, so satellite is out of the question

on a side note, does anyone else have lip-sync issues on TNT HD? i have gladiator on and theres a half second delay between the audio and the picture. at first i thought it was my tv, but none of the other channels have it and i hooked the dvr up to the computer via firewire and the recording had the lag as well

It's not always out of the question. I've setup a few where the landlord didn't allow holes to be drilled, in 5 gallon buckets of concrete. They tried to tell them to take them down but all it takes is a print out of the OTARD.
post #2170 of 8230 Old 03-03-2007, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Slidell View Post

So I really don't think it is BS...

Still drop out willy here on 33-1 and 44-1&2. No tropo according to the previous link.

I even tried swapping the CM4228 for a set of ratshack rabbit ears. I lost WAFB, but that was expected, still had issues with 33 and 44 breaking up. Analog 44 and 33 looks very good, by far some of the best analog I've seen in a while. I wonder if they have issues with the analog bleeding into the digital carrier? I noticed the same type deal on a setup in Lake Charles where NBC analog was on 7 and the digital was on 8.
post #2171 of 8230 Old 03-04-2007, 01:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post

I have found the QAM chs for WWL and WUPL on Cox. WUPL is, believe it or not, CH 54-1. Per my S3 Tivo box. It's the same as OTA. Makes it real easy for side by side comparisons.
WWL is on Ch 82.1.

After returning to NOLA this week I have checked out the available local digi broadcasts with our Panny plasma which inlcludes a built-in QAM tuner, here's what I have come up with so far:
WWL CH 4 - 82.1
WYES CH12 - 81.3
ABC26 WGNO - 53.5

My 54 - 54.1
Ch38 CW - 53.2

The TWO Channels I'm still looking for are WVUE FOX8 and if it's avail at this time WDSU.

Does anyone have the QAM tuner ch info (Jeff COX) for Fox8 and WDSU?
post #2172 of 8230 Old 03-04-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushdrops View Post

After returning to NOLA this week I have checked out the available local digi broadcasts with our Panny plasma which inlcludes a built-in QAM tuner, here's what I have come up with so far:
WWL CH 4 - 82.1
WYES CH12 - 81.3
ABC26 WGNO - 53.5

My 54 - 54.1
Ch38 CW - 53.2

The TWO Channels I'm still looking for are WVUE FOX8 and if it's avail at this time WDSU.

Does anyone have the QAM tuner ch info (Jeff COX) for Fox8 and WDSU?

Read back a page or two on WDSU. We talk about or should we say we bash WDSU...due to no HD signal via OTA or cable. We also discuss ways on picking up NBC from BR and also receiving NBC-HD via satellite using "move" methods.
post #2173 of 8230 Old 03-04-2007, 03:23 PM

WWL-TV, WUPL-TV and all-news network NewsWatch on Channel 15 will remain on Cox Communications' system in New Orleans after the cable operator finalized a retransmission-consent agreement with station owner Belo late Friday.

The previous retrans deal between Cox and Belo was set to expire at 12:01 a.m. Saturday.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed by either party, but a Cox spokeswoman said the deal also covered Belo stations in other Cox markets, and further details will be announced Monday.

Cox and Belo reportedly had been at odds over compensation for the operator to carry WWL-TV's HDTV signal.

The MSO has 184,000 subscribers in the Big Easy.

WWL-TV is a CBS affiliate, WUPL-TV is a MyNetwork TV affiliate and NewsWatch reairs newscasts from WWL-TV.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...=Breaking+News
post #2174 of 8230 Old 03-04-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Read back a page or two on WDSU. We talk about or should we say we bash WDSU...due to no HD signal via OTA or cable. We also discuss ways on picking up NBC from BR and also receiving NBC-HD via satellite using "move" methods.

digiblur - i have done a bit of searching and have actually come across everything but if WDSU is available via QAM Cox Jefferson. I'm in a temp housing setup until we move across the lake to West St Tamm - so Cox / QAM is my only option at the moment - so I take it that WDSU is NOT avail via QAM / COX?

Also - What about WVUE Fox 8 ? I haven't seen any QAM info on them (again Cox Jeff - I have seen Charter WVUE QAM station #'s).

The only post I could find listing most all of the Jeff COX QAM info was my post from last night ( I updated all of them but Fox8 and WDSU). :-)

thanks to anyone with WVUE Fox8 Cox QAM info, if I find it tonight I'll post the info (add it to my other post so that everyone will have an easy way to find all of the Cox Jefferson QAM channels - as it's not easy searching thru them).
post #2175 of 8230 Old 03-04-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

digiblur - i have done a bit of searching and have actually come across everything but if WDSU is available via QAM Cox Jefferson. I'm in a temp housing setup until we move across the lake to West St Tamm - so Cox / QAM is my only option at the moment - so I take it that WDSU is NOT avail via QAM / COX?

Also - What about WVUE Fox 8 ? I haven't seen any QAM info on them (again Cox Jeff - I have seen Charter WVUE QAM station #'s).

The only post I could find listing most all of the Jeff COX QAM info was my post from last night ( I updated all of them but Fox8 and WDSU). :-)

thanks to anyone with WVUE Fox8 Cox QAM info, if I find it tonight I'll post the info (add it to my other post so that everyone will have an easy way to find all of the Cox Jefferson QAM channels - as it's not easy searching thru them).

The easiest way to find out is Cox.net.... Cox.net doesn't show WVUE or WDSU available in HD for the New Orleans market.

You might be able to find it in SD via QAM. I've even found a few SD locals from the N.O. market here in BR's QAM.
post #2176 of 8230 Old 03-04-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:

The easiest way to find out is Cox.net.... Cox.net doesn't show WVUE or WDSU available in HD for the New Orleans market.

You might be able to find it in SD via QAM. I've even found a few SD locals from the N.O. market here in BR's QAM.

I sent a message to Cox' tech support. I saw that they don't offer those two channels in HD (thru their HD package - with their box etc...) but I thought they may still be available for viewers with QAM tuners....

Without FOX and NBC it's pretty lame even though ABC, PBS and CBS are crystal clear without any antenna hassles.

Hopefully Cox will add WVUE soon - as far WDSU goes, I have given up on them...

Coming from a market where I was able to pickup at least 20 digital channels with a small antenna (plus I was 35+ miles north of the towers / main city) - it's a real shame that in NOLA there isn't an NBC station in HD & in the other city there were like a half dozen Spanish based Latino channels which were readily available.

If anyone has QAM info for the WVUE in the Cox NOLA area pls share the info with us.

I hope my easlier post with the Cox listings for WYES, WGNO and WWL save others time from searching thru the 150+ channels which will show up with your QAM tuners on the Cox network (maybe well over 200) - no fun as they are slow to go thru at least on my Panny.
post #2177 of 8230 Old 03-04-2007, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sent a message to Cox' tech support. I saw that they don't offer those two channels in HD (thru their HD package - with their box etc...) but I thought they may still be available for viewers with QAM tuners....

Don't you think they would offer them to the folks that making them money by leasing their boxes if they had the channels?

Quote:

Hopefully Cox will add WVUE soon - as far WDSU goes, I have given up on them...

It's actually the other way around... Hopefully WVUE will allow Cox to offer their HD signal to the N.O. market via cable.

Quote:

If anyone has QAM info for the WVUE in the Cox NOLA area pls share the info with us.

Already answered....

Quote:

I hope my easlier post with the Cox listings for WYES, WGNO and WWL save others time from searching thru the 150+ channels which will show up with your QAM tuners on the Cox network (maybe well over 200) - no fun as they are slow to go thru at least on my Panny.

On a side note...some tuners are actually smart and only add the ITC QAM channels.
post #2178 of 8230 Old 03-05-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

post #2179 of 8230 Old 03-05-2007, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the link Digi! Its really nice to see someone from the station giving updates on this matter.

On another note do you know of anyone or a website for the FCC that we could email to possibly get an update on WDSU? It would just be nice to know if they are gonna be back in 07, 08, 09.....never...ya know. There has to be someone from the FCC that is a "customer service" or regional rep that would have an idea of whet WDSU's game plan is.
post #2180 of 8230 Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here is the link for todays article about cox/ wwl agreement

http://www.nola.com/living/t-p/walke...860.xml&coll=1
post #2181 of 8230 Old 03-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasyHD View Post

Thanks for the link Digi! Its really nice to see someone from the station giving updates on this matter.

On another note do you know of anyone or a website for the FCC that we could email to possibly get an update on WDSU? It would just be nice to know if they are gonna be back in 07, 08, 09.....never...ya know. There has to be someone from the FCC that is a "customer service" or regional rep that would have an idea of whet WDSU's game plan is.

Good luck with that. I've e-mailed called etc... for about a year. I'm about to buy one those long range HD antennas and titian pre amp and start watching Baton Rouge. I live in Mandeville. What would be the best setup you guys think to pick up the BR NBC station? The 8 bay antenna http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...03&PROD=AD-DB8
or the more direct 91XG?
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=AD-91XG
DirecTV is suppose to launch NOLA locals soon can we expect WDSU on it?
post #2182 of 8230 Old 03-06-2007, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igator99 View Post

Good luck with that. I've e-mailed called etc... for about a year. I'm about to buy one those long range HD antennas and titian pre amp and start watching Baton Rouge. I live in Mandeville. What would be the best setup you guys think to pick up the BR NBC station? The 8 bay antenna http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...03&PROD=AD-DB8
or the more direct 91XG?

Don't assume a satellite provider will always carry the 4 networks. There are several markets with one or two networks missing on DishNetwork and DirecTV...even on the SD ones!

Also....some fixed have been applied to 33/44. The family watched American Idol via OTA on WGMB 44 without one single dropout tonight. Has 33 gotten better for you guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33/44 CE View Post

We made some changes today and the system seems more stable. This was NOT the fix, but maybe it will help until the real fix later this week.

post #2183 of 8230 Old 03-07-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:

Don't assume a satellite provider will always carry the 4 networks. There are several markets with one or two networks missing on DishNetwork and DirecTV...even on the SD ones!

Also....some fixed have been applied to 33/44. The family watched American Idol via OTA on WGMB 44 without one single dropout tonight. Has 33 gotten better for you guys?

Digi, I watched about 5 minutes of channel 33.1 last night and there were no dropouts. However, the show on was one of the law and orders, and the picture was not the full screen; it only took up ~80% of the screen. Did anyone else notice this?
post #2184 of 8230 Old 03-07-2007, 03:50 AM

Quote:

or the more direct 91XG?

You may want to try what I did, which I call the "cheap" route. I live in north Kenner, and installed a radioshack U-75R antenna in my 2 story attic (notice this is strictly a UHF antenna).

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

I then ran a cable directly to the ATSC tuner on my HDTV upstairs, and I pick up channel 33.1 with about 70% signal strength. If you read back further in this thread, digi posted a setup with Channelmaster antenna and preamp.

Please note that I am NOT trying to pick up any other channels in Baton Rouge, only the NBC affiliate (33.1) so I can watch golf in HD on the weekends. I pick up all other network affiliates through local channels in New Orleans through another antenna I have in my attic pointed at New Orleans.

Hope this helps
John
post #2185 of 8230 Old 03-07-2007, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John4924 View Post

Digi, I watched about 5 minutes of channel 33.1 last night and there were no dropouts. However, the show on was one of the law and orders, and the picture was not the full screen; it only took up ~80% of the screen. Did anyone else notice this?

Yes. It appeared to be an SD broadcast of an old SVU episode. 16.9, but as you stated, not full screen.
post #2186 of 8230 Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:

You may want to try what I did, which I call the "cheap" route. I live in north Kenner, and installed a radioshack U-75R antenna in my 2 story attic (notice this is strictly a UHF antenna).

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

I then ran a cable directly to the ATSC tuner on my HDTV upstairs, and I pick up channel 33.1 with about 70% signal strength. If you read back further in this thread, digi posted a setup with Channelmaster antenna and preamp.

Please note that I am NOT trying to pick up any other channels in Baton Rouge, only the NBC affiliate (33.1) so I can watch golf in HD on the weekends. I pick up all other network affiliates through local channels in New Orleans through another antenna I have in my attic pointed at New Orleans.

Hope this helps
John

Thanks John I have that setup with a booster and a 30 foot mast outside and I can sometimes get 33.1 at night. I guess there are to many trees in this subdivision. I was thinking of going with one of the bigger and more expensive antennas and pre amps but I didn't want to do it if it was pointless. How do you measure signal strength?
post #2187 of 8230 Old 03-07-2007, 02:30 PM

Please don't discuss this in an open foreum. What you are seeing on 108.5 is the digital form for Sci-fi. The audio is probably a format not compatible with your box. Cox is simalcasting the digital format of all the basic and extended basic chanels which you can get with their digital cable box at no charge. Just call the business office.

Don H.
post #2188 of 8230 Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 PM

Thanks. The potentially troublesome material has been deleted.
post #2189 of 8230 Old 03-07-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks John I have that setup with a booster and a 30 foot mast outside and I can sometimes get 33.1 at night. I guess there are to many trees in this subdivision. I was thinking of going with one of the bigger and more expensive antennas and pre amps but I didn't want to do it if it was pointless. How do you measure signal strength?

There is a signal strength meter built into my TV....

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...8,1665,00.html

Before you go and buy additional gear, I would try a couple of things. The first thing I would try is run a single RG6 coax cable directly from the antenna to the ATSC tuner on the TV closest to the antenna. One thing I found on my setup is if I tried going from my antenna (for Baton Rouge) to the distribution system in my house (through splitters, diplexers, etc), I would get NO reception. That is why I have a single cable running directly to my TV tuner. Then try this with the booster.

I am not so sure that trees can mess you up that much? I think a large structure like a multi-story building can cause problems. Are there any in your path to BR? (Digi, can you maybe comment on this)

The tower that channel 33.1 is on is ~1700 ft in the air, and they broadcast at a fairly decent power rating of 1000kW.

Here is the FCC data on this station...

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=70021

Here is the expected service area map for this station...

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT497504.html

As you can see, my home (in Kenner) is actually outside this area, and I pick this up with my antenna in my attic. So there should be no reason that you cannot get this in Mandeville.

So experiment around a little bit and let us know what you find. Also, please list tuner types, TVs, etc. so that maybe others in this forum can give you some additional tips.

John
post #2190 of 8230 Old 03-07-2007, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a signal strength meter built into my TV....

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...8,1665,00.html

Remember....all signal meters are not created equal. Some use just signal strength alone. Some use a combination of signal strength and signal to noise ratio. Some use a combination of signal strength and BER (Bit Error Ratio).

Quote:

Before you go and buy additional gear, I would try a couple of things. The first thing I would try is run a single RG6 coax cable directly from the antenna to the ATSC tuner on the TV closest to the antenna. One thing I found on my setup is if I tried going from my antenna (for Baton Rouge) to the distribution system in my house (through splitters, diplexers, etc), I would get NO reception. That is why I have a single cable running directly to my TV tuner. Then try this with the booster.

Excellent suggestions.

Quote:

I am not so sure that trees can mess you up that much? I think a large structure like a multi-story building can cause problems. Are there any in your path to BR? (Digi, can you maybe comment on this)

Trees can get you. Don't eyeball it either. Use a compass to determine to location of the tower. I've seen cases where we simply changed the side of the house we were on and dropped the signal on one channel by 20%-30%. RF is a funny beast... try several odball things. And ALWAYS....ALWAYS... try an antenna setup temporarily first. And never before, during, or after inclement weather either. This will skew your results.

I remember seeing someone here in this thread that had WVLA working from Slidell. If I remember right, they eventually go a CM4228/CM7777 setup outdoors to pick up WVLA. I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't pick up WVLA with a 30 foot rig with a CM4228/CM7777. Some people may like the Ratshack yagi's but in my experience with antennas, I've never liked them unless they were used for short hauls. When I finally setup a CM4228, I couldn't believe my eyes.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page