AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/)
-   -   New Orleans, LA - HDTV (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/357741-new-orleans-la-hdtv.html)

clar2391 01-26-2004 02:15 PM

I'm having issues receiving DTV in my apt using a Zenith HDV420 STB and Silver Sensor antenna. I do get an acceptable signal if I place the antenna in my bathroom, which is about 24 feet from the STB/TV. I found that the metallic siding on my apartment building must have been causing a significant signal loss. The bathroom is the closest room to the outside (with no other apartments on the other side). Also, the outside of the bathroom is stucco, not metallic siding. The major clue hit me when I ran a 50' length of coax cable from the STB to the outside, just to see if I could get a signal. When I did this, I got a very strong signal on all 3 channels.

I'm on the first floor of a four story apt. building, and my patio (the only place I could legally put an outdoor antenna) faces AWAY from the local transmitter sites.

Cable HDTV is not an option for me at this time.

Perhaps someone with a similar problem has a solution or suggestion.

Thanks.

BrettStah 01-27-2004 06:43 AM

Do you have any windows that face the right direction? Maybe the antenna could be mounted there, possibly even outside the window. As long as it's attached to only your apartment you'd be OK...

What part of New Orleans are you in, by the way?

arxaw 01-27-2004 06:49 AM

Quote:

I found that the metallic siding on my apartment building must have been causing a significant signal loss.

Yes, metal siding will hinder TV reception. Stucco will too, if it's stucco attached to wire mesh screen. Another blocker is foil-backed insulation often found behind many types of siding.

One option is to aim at a hill for a bounced signal. Of course NOLA is flat, so you can't aim at a hill But if there's a nearby tall building, water tower, bridge etc. within site of your patio, you may be able to get a "bounced" signal by aiming a directional antenna (like the Silver Sensor) at the building.

clar2391 01-27-2004 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BrettStah
Do you have any windows that face the right direction? Maybe the antenna could be mounted there, possibly even outside the window. As long as it's attached to only your apartment you'd be OK...

What part of New Orleans are you in, by the way?

Unfortunately, I don't have any windows facing the right direction, all of my windows face the patio.

I'm located near downtown new orleans, and the frustrating part is that I can see WWL's transmitter from my front door...but I can't pick it's DT signal.

BrettStah 01-27-2004 10:49 AM

Sounds like you're going to have a bathroom antenna!

arxaw 01-28-2004 05:26 AM

Can you put the antenna in the attic and run the coax down through a closet?

clar2391 01-28-2004 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by arxaw
Can you put the antenna in the attic and run the coax down through a closet?

I'm on the first floor of a 4 story apt bldg. I don't have an attic.

Thanks for the suggestions!

arxaw 01-28-2004 08:10 AM

Sorry, I overlooked that in your original post.

One antenna you might try on the patio is an omnidirectional antenna from Radio Shaft. Generally, omni antennas aren't recommended for DTV, but in your case, it may be worth trying one. RS will take returns if the antenna doesn't work for you, so you'd have nothing to lose except the trip to RS.

Although it is called an omni-directional antenna, these antennas are somewhat directional. If the antenna works at all, rotate it very s-l-o-w-l-y until signal strength peaks on the ss meter.

The RS web site above shows the antenna in stock at the Canal St. & Westbank stores.

nola_powerman 02-06-2004 11:01 AM

This goes to anyone in the new orleans area willing to help out a newbie.
I currently live uptown with standard defenition Directv programming and want to move into the hd realm. I plan to buy a projector (for movies too), but am dreading the amount of research I'll need to do to choose a providor (stay with directv or see about Voom, etc.). I'd be happy to start with a local antennae, but what if these providers will (or already do)offer local stations - then i guess i can sell the antennae. Bottom line ...what is a good plan of action? I'll want to buy a used reciever and don't know what model to buy or if the providers will have a problem with that once I buy a package. maybe I can start with buying a projector and antenae and used decoder box i until I find a package I like (with a reasonably priced box). I use tivo now, but hd tivo may be a few years away form fitting in my budget. Hopefully you all know where I'm coming from and can provide some advice.
thanks in advance,
Mike G.

arxaw 02-07-2004 08:34 AM

nola_powerman,
None of the satellite services carry NOLA HD locals via satellite. But DirecTV, Dish Network, & Voom HD receivers all have built-in OTA tuners. All you have to do is connect it to an OTA antenna to get your free OTA HD locals.

JeffRichardson 02-15-2004 09:16 PM

Mike G. (nola_powerman):

I haven't heard about many people using Voom in New Orleans yet. Most folks use DirecTV or Cox. I just posted on this issue on this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ferrerid=49509

and rather than repeat myself, I'll just refer you there. In short, I've been happy with DirecTV for HD in New Orleans, but Cox is also becomming an attractive option.

-Jeff

nola_powerman 03-02-2004 11:29 AM

Thanks Jeff and arxaw.
I am on ST. Charles further uptown and i didn't know if indoor would work or if I'd have to get the antenae on the roof above the huge trees, since that would be a royal pain. I have large windows facing the river and further uptown, but the trees are still taller even though i'm on the second floor. The note about the Silver Sensor on the other post is just what I needed to hear so I don't feel I'm taking a risk by getting all the new equipment. That is, I don't have an HD display yet but I'm determined to make the jump soon whenever I get an opportunity to make all these purchases. OTA antenna with decoding box looks like the way to go. As for paid programming, that'll be a decision I could make later. I'd be hard pressed to give up my directivo for what's available right now in hd. I wish they make standard def tivos with hd decoders for the hd channels. I'd have to give up tivo alltogether just to watch a handful of hd stations at some greater cost. Unless I start drooloing over hd, I may wait for hd pvrs to drop a bit in price. By the time I get all this set up things will surely change a lot anyway. Maybe voom will offer a mid priced hd pvr with 50 hd channels next year! yeah right, but at least now I can start moving in the right direction.

arxaw 03-02-2004 03:55 PM

nola_powerman,
I would get the HD display first. Since you already have DirecTV, you can get a good "existing customer" deal from them by calling their Customer Retention number.
800 600-8977
The CSRs at that number have deals available that the regular CSRs can't offer you. Tell them you want to get HDTV, but are considering switching to cable, because they have no up front equipment costs. Ask them about discounts on an HD receiver and/or programming discounts. Currently, if they think you're going to dump D*, they will sell you a DirecTV-HD receiver for $99, installed. That includes a new multi-sat dish too, if you need it. All DirecTV HD receivers also have a built in OTA tuners for digital and analog local channels. You just need to add an antenna.

Go to http://antennaweb.org/
If the digital channels for your address are in the "yellow" zone, you can likely use an indoor antenna aimed roughly toward the middle of the direction of the transmitters. Otherwise, you'll may need an outdoor or attic antenna, like a small ChannelMaster CM 4221

BrettStah 03-02-2004 06:44 PM

Also, keep in mind that the HD-DirecTivo is due out within the next month or two, which will be able to record from OTA ATSC signals as well as SD and HD satellite channels.

arxaw 03-03-2004 06:25 AM

for ~1000 bucks!

BrettStah 03-03-2004 07:12 AM

I thought that was the offical MSRP, but that people were already pre-ordering for less than that amount. Still, for some people the flexibility of the Tivo features would make it worthwhile to spend that much if they can afford it.

jfklennon 04-15-2004 06:56 AM

Hi, Does anyone know WWL/WDSU haat/power output, tower location/ trying to recieve signal in lafayette, La, I'm about 101 nautical miles away.

jfklennon 04-15-2004 01:36 PM

bump.

RxpSGR 04-15-2004 04:46 PM

Not sure of the location,but doubt you will ever receive from that distant location. I have a large antenna with preamp mounted outside and cannot receive Lafayette here in Kenner. Maybe you will have luck if the atmospheric conditions are right. I receive on a regular basis the stations from B.R. and Biloxi (81 miles away). Sometimes Mobile -much over water-Gulf of Mexico- (over 120 miles away). Check out antennaweb.org for distance.

jfklennon 04-16-2004 06:28 AM

Thanks RxpSGR, I have watched WWL-DT before it 'skips' in quite often.
I've read other reports that 100 miles is just about the limit for reliable reception. I have a large antenna also, its about 35-to-40 feet up. I recieve the following stations:

KLFY DT
KATC DT
KADN DT
KLPB DT
WBRZ DT
KPLC DT (BEFORE TOWER COLLAPSE)

Which Baton Rouge stations are you receiving? Also, how often
are you able to recieve the Mobile stations?

RxpSGR 04-17-2004 07:56 AM

Baton Rouge stations received are WBRZ-DT and WAFB-DT. Only once their pbs station WLPB-DT(very low power). Biloxi stations WLOX-DT and WMAH-DT. On occasion, about twice a month, WJTC-DT a UPN station actually from Pensacola,Fla. New Orleans stations are WWL,WPXL (with a total of 4 sub- stations),WVES,WNOL,WGNO,WDSU and WHNO. Almost like cable with that many stations...

vinnyp 04-26-2004 07:42 PM

Hi guys, Chalmation here and getting ready to jump into the HD OTA game also. You guys are aware that WDSU, WNOL, WGNO, WVUE, WYES and WLAE all broadcast from Chalmette and WWL is 6.1 miles from me. Will I expect to get good reception with any reasonable outside antenna and would I need a rotor. I am current DirecTV subscriber and considering a change to Voom. (much more HD programming). Will prolly buy 65" Mitsubishi w/o tuner. Any and all comments welcomed here. Just learning the game myself and nice to see New Orleans peeps to ask the reception questions we need to know answers to.

arxaw 04-27-2004 07:18 AM

vinnyp,
Enter your address at:
http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Click the Street Level Map to see where to aim your antenna. If all the stations but a nearby one are in the same direction, you can often aim towards the majority of them and pick up the off-axis station.

jfklennon,
For HAAT & ERP levels, enter the station's call sign letters only, at:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

DigiFool 05-20-2004 06:33 AM

I live in Ponchatoula which is about 50-60 miles North of New Orleans. I was wondering if anyone in my area was getting a good signal and what equipment they were using.

I will be cutting my teeth this weekend when my RCA ATSC21 arrives. I was hoping to not be the test monkey for this area I don't want to reinvent the wheel if it isn't neccessary.

Thanks!

Bulldogger 06-02-2004 09:03 AM

Any word on UPN broadcasting in HD? I'm anxious to see that fine ass Vulcan on Star Trek Enterpise in HD.

bollar 09-10-2004 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bulldogger
Any word on UPN broadcasting in HD? I'm anxious to see that fine ass Vulcan on Star Trek Enterpise in HD.

Well, they have their new tower up and they're doing a digital broadcast that can be recieved in NO now, but unfortunately, they're still transmitting Enterprise in SD.

bdm72 09-13-2004 07:10 AM

First post so hope it's in the right place. As close as I could get to the BR anyway. I was wondering if anyone was able to recieve FOX 44 (WGMB-DT) or NBC 33 (WVLA-DT) OTA. I believe that WVLA is broadcasting but cant pick it up with an amplified Silver sensor. Just not sure at all about WGMB-DT.

Any info much appreciated...

BrettStah 09-13-2004 09:08 AM

Please keep all of the Baton Rouge station info in its own thread:
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...hreadid=445701

Masrhallw 09-13-2004 09:47 PM

To quote part of an e-mail I got today from the station manager at WYES:

"WYES can now be seen on digital television sets on Channel 11. Catch HD
and widescreen programming from 7p-6:30a and four channels of standard
digital programming from 6:30a to 7p. WYES-TV/Digital Channel 11."

Seems they went digital on August 31 or so. They only do HD after 7:00PM - I guess they are sending multiple signals earlier in the day.

I asked about cable (Charter on the northshore) for WYES, and the GM said they are in negotiations. I assume the same is true for Cox on the southshore.

bollar 09-14-2004 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Masrhallw
To quote part of an e-mail I got today from the station manager at WYES:

"WYES can now be seen on digital television sets on Channel 11. Catch HD
and widescreen programming from 7p-6:30a and four channels of standard
digital programming from 6:30a to 7p. WYES-TV/Digital Channel 11."

Yeah, they're broadcasting the PBS national feed now, so there's no local programming or promos. On the DirecTV Program Guide, they show up at 80-3 through 80-6 -- unfortunately without any programming detail. Apparently this will be the case until they start broadcasting something other than the national feed.

Just for clarification, DTV doesn't actually carry WYES, but incorporates it OTA in the guide.