post #271 of 14496 Old 04-02-2004, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by davisdog
It would probably have to be a pretty good hack job to swap out the internal drive and reimage it to act like the old drive (and risk the wrath of comcast (and a large bill) if you screw it up). The option they will supposedly offer in a future firmware upgarde is to hook up an external firewire drive and use that for additional capacity that you can add yourself. That sounds like a good comprise (when they get it working)

There has been plenty of successful hacking into TiVO units, both upgrading drives and adding secondary drives. I don't suspect that the Moto boxes would be any more difficult, although my level of expertise would be entirely dependent on following succesful procedures perfected by others.

On the TiVO forum, there are already pictures of the inside of the new HD TiVO, with plenty of discussion about the best ways of upgrading the drive.

re: Firewire drive for the Moto. Now that would be sweet! Sadly though, I don't think it would ever happen. Comcast has this view that their customer base has zero tech knowledge, so adding or enabling an extra drive capability is not something they would do. I hope I am wrong about this.

There! I've run circles of logic around you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 14496 Old 04-02-2004, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by YuriLuzr
Bob, are you getting InHD 1&2? Was just wondering because maybe your $5 HDTV service is allowing you to get some HD only channels, where other have had to upgrade to Digital Classic ($10) to get these channels.

I have: $14 basic cable + $5 HDTV box, but I don't get InHD channels.

No, no INHD. I do get HBO and SHO free, since they are not encrypted in my network area (yet). Anyone else here in Saratoga getting a different price???
post #273 of 14496 Old 04-02-2004, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I just got off the phone with my 3rd CSR, and finally got them to remove the $5 service fee. They could not even explain why I was being charged for it in the first place. Odd. I urge others to also check their bills.

On another note, I also asked about availability of INHD1 and 2, and they said I not only had to subscribe to Digital Classic ($10 extra) but also had to move over to FULL analog, an increase of $28 for that, so a total incremental charge of $38 per month for INHD!!

Is there anyone who has just Basic Analog ($14 per month) and Digital Classic ($10 per month) AND gets INHD 1 and 2??
post #274 of 14496 Old 04-02-2004, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bpearse
Well, I just got off the phone with my 3rd CSR, and finally got them to remove the $5 service fee. They could not even explain why I was being charged for it in the first place. Odd. I urge others to also check their bills.

On another note, I also asked about availability of INHD1 and 2, and they said I not only had to subscribe to Digital Classic ($10 extra) but also had to move over to FULL analog, an increase of $28 for that, so a total incremental charge of $38 per month for INHD!!

Is there anyone who has just Basic Analog ($14 per month) and Digital Classic ($10 per month) AND gets INHD 1 and 2??

Glad you got that knocked off..

and of course this CSR is wrong again. You can have Basic + Digital Classic added on top of that ($9.95/mth)

The CSR is correct that digital classic is required for InHD1/2 (and also EspnHD if they are encrypting it).

I don't think you need to bother yet though since InHD isn't on the Saratoga system yet. See if you box tunes to 195 and 196. IF InHD exists you should be able to tune to the channels (and your TV Screen would ssay Not Authorized since you dont have the right package). If it doesnt even tune to those channels (or skips right over them) then they arent on the system yet and there is nothing a CSR can do about it
post #275 of 14496 Old 04-02-2004, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Boy, how is it that forums like this can be SOOOOO helpful, yet CSRs whose job it is to know and help are totally useless! The CSR did say that INHD1&2 are on my system. But checking my box, sure enough, they do not show up at all. My box won't even allow me to try those channels. Just skips right by them.

Thanks for the heads up. You folks have saved me $15 a month ($5 for service fee and $10 for Digital Classis which I do not need since no INHD1 and 2).
post #276 of 14496 Old 04-02-2004, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dandrewk
There has been plenty of successful hacking into TiVO units, both upgrading drives and adding secondary drives. I don't suspect that the Moto boxes would be any more difficult, although my level of expertise would be entirely dependent on following succesful procedures perfected by others.

This will require a knowledge of whatever file system the Moto box is using (some variant of UFS most likely) and understand it enough to write an imaging tool that will format the new drive with the appropriate FS and duplicate the necessary system files. Also, hopefully there won't be a hard limit in the on-board IDE controller on how big of a drive it will recognize. Earlier versions of the Tivo, I believe, couldn't be upgraded to over 120GB -- even if you put a larger drive in, the unit would only see it as 120GB. Because the Moto boxes will be rented (as apposed to full ownership) I wouldn't put it by Comcast/Motorola to set a hard limit to prevent a whole bunch of people tinkering inside of the box.
post #277 of 14496 Old 04-02-2004, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, the Giants are back. FSNBA is one of the FSN channels that announced HiDef.

Any scoop on when Comcast will pick up the HD broadcasts?

post #278 of 14496 Old 04-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Update from Comcast:

The very nice lady in Executive Complaints hasn't been able to find out much. I sent her the PDF file from the FCC today and she immediately forwarded it off to the legal deparment and some VPs to make sure they understood what the deal is.

I told her there were reports of them in Sacramento and she said that she'd check. I also told her about bpearse in Saratoga and that really surprised her. I've sent bpearse a PM with the Comcast rep's contact info in the hopes the he would contact her and give her his story to further explain that the 6200 does exist and some folks are getting them.

I am not going to publish this lady's contact info at this time, since I don't need a bunch of pissed of folks bugging her. :-) But I will definetly keep you guys updated.
post #279 of 14496 Old 04-03-2004, 04:53 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with these 6200's. I, too, called Comcast (again), but didn't manage to get anywhere. Maybe I'm not pushy enough

Also, I'm looking for some feedback on exactly what I should tell the cable guy when he comes to my house today. See my thread below (some of you may not have seen it due to my ignorance in posting it it the wrong forum initially).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=385679

Many thanks to all who keep passing along the info!

JT
post #280 of 14496 Old 04-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

How did it go?

HD DVD:38
BR: 51+ 23 from the WB Red2Blu promo
post #281 of 14496 Old 04-04-2004, 07:57 AM

All I can say about the Comcast guy is DUMBA**

He came out, checked my signal strength and said everything was fine. He said the digital channels were at -11 which apparently is good. When I brought up the diagnostics menu and took him into the In-Band menu to show the errors and low signal, he scolded me for looking at that information. Then he went on to tell me that the SNR, AGC, & Corr/uncorr errors had NOTHING to do with my signal. He said they had to do with the info being sent FROM the box to the Cable Co.

I began explaining what I knew about the SNR, AGC, etc (thanks to cjhengineering.com) and the cable guy still insisted I was wrong.

He offered to switch out my box, but I refused since last time I did that , I got a box that was defective (besides, its not the box anyway).

So, the gut really came out for NOTHING.

After he left, I did a bit of Re-Wiring and managed to improve my signal a bit. Now, instaead of 32.1-32.9 SNR (FAIR/POOR), I generally have 33.2-34.1 (GOOD). For AGC, I now have 51% across the board rather than the 89% I had yeaterday. My correctable errors are pretty low (less than 60) except on INHD1&2. For some reason they are in the 600-700 errors range. That part, I don't understand, but I seem to be at a dead end for the moment.

PS -- I'm still trying to get a 6200 (CSR's are clueless). I'll let you all know what transpires.

JT
post #282 of 14496 Old 04-04-2004, 08:03 AM

Comcast in South San Francisco has updated the its firmware to 7.10.

Alas, my 5100 has no firewire port. I am eager to test VirtualDVHS as soon as I can get my hands on a newer box with firewire.
post #283 of 14496 Old 04-04-2004, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kmitche
Comcast in South San Francisco has updated the its firmware to 7.10.

Alas, my 5100 has no firewire port. I am eager to test VirtualDVHS as soon as I can get my hands on a newer box with firewire.

Ok, VirtualDVHS sounds interesting. What is it? Where can I get it?

All of a sudden, I have a desire for the 6200.

post #284 of 14496 Old 04-04-2004, 12:20 PM

Look for VirtualDVHS on the Apple Developer Website:

http://developer.apple.com/hardware/

The link: FireWire SDK 17 for Mac OS X (Download) is mid page.

It installs in the //Developer/FirewireSDK17/PreRelease Components/Examples

Since I'm currently without a firewire video source, I have no way to play with it.
post #285 of 14496 Old 04-04-2004, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kmitche
Look for VirtualDVHS on the Apple Developer Website:

http://developer.apple.com/hardware/

The link: FireWire SDK 17 for Mac OS X (Download) is mid page.

It installs in the //Developer/FirewireSDK17/PreRelease Components/Examples

Since I'm currently without a firewire video source, I have no way to play with it.

Ahh, Mac. Maybe a silly question, but does it work on Windows?

Any other DVHS simulator for Windows? It never occured to me that the firewire output from the Moto's could be used for recording out to a PC.

BTW, I do have MyHD, but can only get ABC and FOX OTA.

post #286 of 14496 Old 04-04-2004, 02:21 PM

Check out the threads on the HDTV Recorders section. There are some pretty thorough discussions going on.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=353608

One of the posters has just gotten his Linux program to work with his 6200.

There must be Windows versions floating around.
post #287 of 14496 Old 04-04-2004, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just got off the phone with my tech calling in advance of the 4p to 6p window for today's appointment.

Naturally, as we all could have predicted, he had no clue about why I made the appointment (to swap my 5100 for a 6200). (The best he could tell from the work order, I was having a problem with my current HD STB.) He had no idea about the 6200 boxes in general and said they did not have them, although he said they did just get in an HD STB in addition to the 5100 but it does not have firewire. (Which probably is a 6200 but he doesn't know it. Doh!)

I told him that Comcast customers in the South Bay and Sacramento had just received 6200's and he said that was interesting and that he would write it down for future reference and look for them. He said we were always the last ones to get improvements (not sure if he was referring to the Bay Area or more specifically the North Bay).

Bottom line, I won't have a 6200 this evening.

I am not surprised, fully expected this and now I have more leverage in dealing with the higher-ups. (A technical violation of the FCC rule.) I am not in a huge hurry as I don't have a D-VHS or PC HDV card yet and want to find the best deal for one.

My next step is to go by the local Comcast office (on Tuesday when I'll be working from home) and do my best to effect a swap there (which is being allowed in the Sacramento area --- see nightowl's and jacmyoung's posts).

Oh, I also asked him about DVR and he said the latest he had heard was "3rd Quarter" which meant "September" to him. Take that with a huge grain of salt, of course, considering the source.
post #288 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I sent an email to the CEO of Comcast, Brian Roberts, regarding the 1394 issue in the Bay Area. I received a notice back from them that a person here in the bay area will be contacting me shortly on the matter. Of course, this is now the 5th time I have been promised a call back by Comcast, and have not gotten any communication from them yet! So we will see.

Here is Brian's email for those interested: brian_roberts@comcast.com

I recommend everyone send him a person email asking for help on this issue.

Bob
post #289 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 10:31 AM

Hello everyone. I have been reading posts in this site for the past month and finally registered. I apologize if this question has already been asked, but I am a newbie. I just had my hd stb installed this Sat. I live in Suisun, Ca. between Sacramento and San Francisco. I am able to receive ESPNHD, INHD1&2, HBOHD, SHOWHD. But for some reason I do not have ABCHD, NBCHD, FOXHD, PBSHD, or Discovery Channel in HD. The CSR said that I should have those too and that it might take a day or so for it to kick in. Does anyone know why this is. My services are expanded SD, Digital Silver+ 1 Premium(HBO) and the HD stb. Any help would be great. Everyone in here seems to know what they are talking about, so thanks for any input in advance.
post #290 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 10:34 AM

bpearse,

In another post you stated that the moto is connected to your display via component.

According to this forum, if the component cables are connected, there will be no firewire output.

Try disconnecting the component cables from the 6200 and then check the JVC for sound and picture via firewire.
post #291 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I had not seen that anywhere, but I tried anyway. No joy.

If it were true that you can only have component or firewire active at one time, this would be a big problem!

Thanks for the idea, however.

Bob
post #292 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I actually received a call from Comcast!! First time they have EVER returned a call, even when promising to do so!

The person said they are still researching the issue. They did not know what firewire was, but said there is a person (Erika) looking into it. She is on vacation right now, but hopefully will do something. 2 months, 5 emails, 22 phone calls, and still have yet to talk to a single person in Comcast who has ever heard of 1394 or firewire.
post #293 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Neo57
Hello everyone. I have been reading posts in this site for the past month and finally registered. I apologize if this question has already been asked, but I am a newbie. I just had my hd stb installed this Sat. I live in Suisun, Ca. between Sacramento and San Francisco. I am able to receive ESPNHD, INHD1&2, HBOHD, SHOWHD. But for some reason I do not have ABCHD, NBCHD, FOXHD, PBSHD, or Discovery Channel in HD. The CSR said that I should have those too and that it might take a day or so for it to kick in. Does anyone know why this is. My services are expanded SD, Digital Silver+ 1 Premium(HBO) and the HD stb. Any help would be great. Everyone in here seems to know what they are talking about, so thanks for any input in advance.

First, your getting Showtime HD is a bonus, since you don't subscribe to the Showtime standard definition channels. So Showtime HD will disappear at some point for you, it's just a matter of when. (Comcast apparently is not scrambling Showtime HD in your area at the moment.)

Second, you will not get Discovery Channel HD. Anyone who told you would get it with Comcast was dead wrong. Comcast does not have a contract to carry Discovery Channel HD anywhere.

Third, there is no Fox HD until, at the very earliest, July. Fox does not do HD but it is ramping up to start in the summer/fall, with the first HD transmission likely to be the MLB All-Star Game. Currently, some Fox programs and sports are transmitted in "Fox widescreen" which is 16:9 but not HD.

Fourth, it would be nice to get the Fox widescreen programs until the HD comes on line, but you will not see Fox widescreen on Comcast. The local Fox station is refusing to provide its digital signal to Comcast. Hopefully this will change before the All-Star game, but the refusal has been going on for a long time. See the discussion in this thread and other threads.

As a caveat, I am assuming you are in the Bay Area market, versus the Sacramento market. Are your analog locals from the Bay Area, Sacramento or both?

Assuming you get Bay Area local channels only, you should get ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS in HD. Channels 184, 185, 186 and 188, respectively.

What happens when you tune to these channel numbers? Does it say "Not Authorized" or "One Moment Please" or something else?

If your Comcast system is still being rebuilt up to 750 Mhz or 860 Mhz, you may not get all the HD channels. But I would be surprised if they didn't give you any locals in HD. How long has HD been available from Comcast in your area?

Fifth, in most parts of the Bay Area, Comcast added Cinemax HD (199) and Starz HD (200) around March 15th. Again, if they aren't scrambled in your area, you might get these channels as a temporary added bonus.

Finally, welcome!
post #294 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bpearse,

One other suggestion based on reading one of the 6200/firewire related threads. It appears you have to select the correct input (whichever firewire is hooked up to the 30k from your 6200) to get a picture ... could this be the problem? Probably not but this sounds like the kind of thing I might overlook!

Also, what happens when you hit the record button? Does the 30k refuse to do anything? Does it act as if it is recording (tape is moving)? If it acts as if it is recording, what happens when you attempt to play back?

In other words, you might not be able to see the HD video pass through in real time from the 6200 to 30k to HDTV, but you might be able to record an HD channel and then play it back... it's worth a try.

And is the problem the same for non-HD channels and for non-firewire inputs?
post #295 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I actually received a call from Comcast!! First time they have EVER returned a call, even when promising to do so!

The person said they are still researching the issue. They did not know what firewire was, but said there is a person (Erika) looking into it. She is on vacation right now, but hopefully will do something. 2 months, 5 emails, 22 phone calls, and still have yet to talk to a single person in Comcast who has ever heard of 1394 or firewire.

That's great that you heard back from them...I'm interested to hear what they have to say. Also, I would recommend using Mr. Burke's email as a last resort only in the future. It's awesome that the CEO of such a large company takes the time to respond to an individual's email and I don't think we want to lose that. If people start inundating him with emails like "Why is Nickelodeon coming in fuzzy?" or "How come there aren't more Goofy shows on the Disney channel?" then it will only be a matter of time before he starts ignoring these emails altogether.
post #296 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Sonoma. It is the right input, since I am getting the "DCT-6200" show up on my screen. The JVC sees it, but there is just no picture or audio coming out. The diagnostics on the 6200 also show it is connected via firewire and it sending data. Just no picture or sound.

I think the local comcast somehow has this feature turned off. I would not think it was possible, given I have 7.07 firmware.
post #297 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SonomaSearcher
First, your getting Showtime HD is a bonus, since you don't subscribe to the Showtime standard definition channels. So Showtime HD will disappear at some point for you, it's just a matter of when. (Comcast apparently is not scrambling Showtime HD in your area at the moment.)

Second, you will not get Discovery Channel HD. Anyone who told you would get it with Comcast was dead wrong. Comcast does not have a contract to carry Discovery Channel HD anywhere.

Third, there is no Fox HD until, at the very earliest, July. Fox does not do HD but it is ramping up to start in the summer/fall, with the first HD transmission likely to be the MLB All-Star Game. Currently, some Fox programs and sports are transmitted in "Fox widescreen" which is 16:9 but not HD.

Fourth, it would be nice to get the Fox widescreen programs until the HD comes on line, but you will not see Fox widescreen on Comcast. The local Fox station is refusing to provide its digital signal to Comcast. Hopefully this will change before the All-Star game, but the refusal has been going on for a long time. See the discussion in this thread and other threads.

As a caveat, I am assuming you are in the Bay Area market, versus the Sacramento market. Are your analog locals from the Bay Area, Sacramento or both?

Assuming you get Bay Area local channels only, you should get ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS in HD. Channels 184, 185, 186 and 188, respectively.

What happens when you tune to these channel numbers? Does it say "Not Authorized" or "One Moment Please" or something else?

If your Comcast system is still being rebuilt up to 750 Mhz or 860 Mhz, you may not get all the HD channels. But I would be surprised if they didn't give you any locals in HD. How long has HD been available from Comcast in your area?

Fifth, in most parts of the Bay Area, Comcast added Cinemax HD (199) and Starz HD (200) around March 15th. Again, if they aren't scrambled in your area, you might get these channels as a temporary added bonus.

Finally, welcome!

Thanks for the info Sonoma. Im not sure but I think I get both the bay aread and Sac local channels. When I try to input those channels listed it just skips and goes to the nearest channel, also when I go to channel 199 and 200 it notes the service required, click ok to add the services. Thanks for the heads up on Fox and Discovery. Should I contact Comcast in regards to the channels not appearing, or would that be like shooting fish in a barrel? I beleive HD has been available for awhile now in my area.

Also...I notice a lot of people talk about the STB with the firewire. I have the Motorola box which I believe has a firewire on the left side next to the audi/video jacks. Do I have the latest STB? Again, I apologize, but I'm pretty new with these STB's. Thanks again.
post #298 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Was that the same Erika I had asked you to contact? I hope she isn't on vacation, since she didn't mention she would be. *sigh*
post #299 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Neo57

Neo,

FoxHD is not available yet in the Bay Area, and DiscoveryHD isnt available on Comcast at all (Rule #1...CSRs are often clueless...but that one is scary)

What do you see on the screen when you tune your HD Box to

Channels 184, 186, 187, 188 (NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS HD channels)????

Those should all be working for you.

-Steve
post #300 of 14496 Old 04-05-2004, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JakiChan
Was that the same Erika I had asked you to contact? I hope she isn't on vacation, since she didn't mention she would be. *sigh*

Yup, same Erika! She received messages from me directly and indirectly through the executive office. I think she is just out today, according to the person who called me. But I am just happy to have some sort of action being taken now. It has taken over 2 months to get anybody even working on it.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page