Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which areas do have VOD??? On the Bay Area Comcast web site, it says "Now Available in Some Areas of the Bay Area...Coming Soon in others!!". Does anyone have it yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I found this an interesting (and scary article):
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/03/17/comcast/

Is VOD available on the 5100 units? Is it is the usual spectrum or elsewhere? Here the HD channels are around 185 or so and the "marketing" document the installer brought (back in October) listed proposed channels around 165 or so.

- Brian
post #183 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
BTW, did anyone else watching Kingdom Hospital get messed up audio last night? It sounded like someone couldn't get the switching between stereo and 5.1 right. My front speakers had the rear channels in them sometimes then sometimes it would pop back in 5.1. I wound up getting the audio channel off my VCR tuned to channel 7 but it was ahead. It was interesting to note that was more tolerable than having it behind. Hmm, these feeds must be real-time compressed.
post #184 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by davisdog
Zappcatt,

You will get CBSHD in Santa Clara. Hayward/Castro Valley/Alameda are the only Bay Area cities with no CBS (we dont know if its politics or bandwidth issues)

actually, I'm in CV and get CBS HD. Must depend on where you are. Part of CV is actually on Hayward cable, that's probably the area where CBSHD is not available.

If you can see through your beer, DON"T DRINK IT!!
post #185 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kmitche
I am one of the folks with the old ATT package. A couple of weeks ago I did receive INHD 1 & 2, then the authorization went away. I did speak with a service rep who attributed the restriction to something other than my particular package. I've read mention of bandwidth issues on various systems, maybe that's the case for South San Francisco.
If bandwidth were an issue, I think I'd chose Starz and Cinemax over INHD.

I live east of El Camino in SSF. I have the Digital Classic and been receiving ESPNHD, INHD, INHD1, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, CinemaxHD and StarzHD.
post #186 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Phloyd
I am in Mountain View near 237/El Camino.

Does anyone know which headend I would get? And is it 550MHz or is it better?

I am on the verge of jumping in But I really want to be sure to get Cinemax before I commit.

Cheers!
DAve.

Dave,
Your headend is likely in Santa Clara (on Garrett Drive). Parts of Mtn View are 750Mhz, but you're close to the area of Sunnyvale that is still 550Mhz so I'm not sure. Calling may be an effort in frustration...Any neighbors with Digital Cable that you know of?...They don't have to have an HD Digital box...just a regular digital is fine...if so, see what happens when they punch in channels 195/196/199/200 into the remote (Inhd1/2/Starz/CinHD). If they punch in the 195 or 196 and the box tunes to that channel and stays there (even if they dont get a picture) then you're probably 750Mhz (InHD is only on the 750 systems). If you punch it in and the box just goes back to the last channel immediately then InHd channels aren't activeand your likely 550Mhz.

-Steve
post #187 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by thickstout
actually, I'm in CV and get CBS HD. Must depend on where you are. Part of CV is actually on Hayward cable, that's probably the area where CBSHD is not available.

Correct...the "hayward side" of castro valley is without CBSHD (I guess the wrong side of the tracks the Pleasontan side has it..I'd mentioned that in an early emailbut neglected to add it into this post
post #188 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mikef5
Anyone in the Los Gatos, Saratoga, Milpitas area getting these stations ?? I've tried calling the 1-800 number but they are clueless about these new channels, they actually said that we don't even get HD is this area. It would be nice to be able to talk to someone that at least knew something about this area. Any help would be appreciated.

Nope...I suspect its still a bandwidth issue and they need to finish the 750Mhz transition that they've been working on...(and when that's done will get those +inHD (and we'll be set for the future)...I'm dying waiting though also.

Anyway, don't bother with the 800-Call Center...they won't have a clue. If you really want to try and find out, the best bet would be to go over to the Local Office in Santa Clara (which happens to be colocated with the headend)
3450 Garrett Dr, Santa Clara, CA 95054
The folks at the front desk may not have an answer but if you harass them enough they may go in the back and get an answer from a tech that would now (At least I would hope)...They don't seem to publish their phone numbers unfortunately. There's also a local Customer Office in Milipitas and LosGatos but the person there may or may not know. Anyway, if you do go that route let us know what you find out (and I may try that route if I get near there)

-Steve
post #189 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 03:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Conrad
BTW, did anyone else watching Kingdom Hospital get messed up audio last night? It sounded like someone couldn't get the switching between stereo and 5.1 right. My front speakers had the rear channels in them sometimes then sometimes it would pop back in 5.1. I wound up getting the audio channel off my VCR tuned to channel 7 but it was ahead. It was interesting to note that was more tolerable than having it behind. Hmm, these feeds must be real-time compressed.

Yes, I had the same problem. It was kind of interesting at first but of course a little tough to follow the story. I called KGO and the guy that answered said something about they were working on and that it wasn't with their equipment. Couldn't really get what he was saying as he seemed really annoyed and busy. I took the audio from my Directv feed, similiar to what you did. I'm surprised that I haven't seen more mention of the problem. Maybe nobody watches the show...

Jim
post #190 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 03:40 PM

Is it a difficult/long process to upgrade the systems? I would think I'd be able to get the INHD channels by now, but still no avail.
post #191 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dailowai
Is it a difficult/long process to upgrade the systems? I would think I'd be able to get the INHD channels by now, but still no avail.

It's certainly not a trivial process. They have to swap out equipment at the headend (which I imagine is the easy part and probably already done), but also they may have to upgrade equipment along the entire transmission path from the headend to all the houses...That may include swapping out all of the amplifiers along the way (or adding in new amps)..and there are loads of them (you'll see them along the telephone poles...usually painted black and a couple feet long over the Cable at various locations). Unfortunately what was put in to handle 550 doesnt necessarily support 750. The good part is the cable can be reused in most places (probably with the exception of the old dual pair stuff in San Jose)
post #192 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Davisdog,

Thanks for the response. I was afraid that they hadn't finished the upgrades but you would think that the reps would know that or at least update thier useless web site and let people know what's going on instead of keeping them in the dark. I've been to the Milpitas office and they are nice but not all that knowledgeable, if I get over to Santa Clara I'll try and stop there and see if they know anything. Anyway, if things don't pick up soon I'll be leaviing Comcast and take my money somewhere else, I don't like paying for a service and not get what I'm paying for. I've been on cable since TCI owned it and I don't see things improving much. Again thanks for the response.
post #193 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mikef5
I was afraid that they hadn't finished the upgrades but you would think that the reps would know that or at least update thier useless web site and let people know what's going on instead of keeping them in the dark.

You are new here, aren't you?
post #194 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Conrad
Is VOD available on the 5100 units? Is it is the usual spectrum or elsewhere? Here the HD channels are around 185 or so and the "marketing" document the installer brought (back in October) listed proposed channels around 165 or so.

So when I spoke to the CSR about my install in San Francisco, she said that the 6200 box was for their VOD rollout which would occur sometime in the next month. Now, AFAIK the 6200 is just the box with firewire and DVI out, but doesn't have anything to do with VOD. The 6208, on the other hand, may have something to do with their VOD system.

Anyone have VOD from Comcast?
post #195 of 14496 Old 03-18-2004, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rstewar
So when I spoke to the CSR about my install in San Francisco, she said that the 6200 box was for their VOD rollout which would occur sometime in the next month. Now, AFAIK the 6200 is just the box with firewire and DVI out, but doesn't have anything to do with VOD. The 6208, on the other hand, may have something to do with their VOD system.

Anyone have VOD from Comcast?

The 6208 is just a 6200 with an internal HD so it can act as a DVR (Digital Video Recorder)...unrelated to VOD Functionallity (Video on Demand)...although the two functions have some overlap (DVR records regular TV shows locally so you can watch them later, VOD lets you pick prerecorded shows and watch them when you want (these are stored on a server at the headend).

I'm not sure the VOD rollout is specifically tied to the 62XX rollout...as far as I know other boxes (incl the 5100 and some nonHD boxes) can support VOD with the right firmware (although I'm not 100% sure on that).

VOD is on in some other comcast areas (Such as Seattle and back east) but I've only seen one rumor of it being on in the Bay Area (concord area)

-steve
post #196 of 14496 Old 03-19-2004, 01:42 AM

My controller has the On Demand button on it, but of course it doesn't work, does this mean I have the newer box?
post #197 of 14496 Old 03-19-2004, 07:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Bimmeroni
I live east of El Camino in SSF. I have the Digital Classic and been receiving ESPNHD, INHD, INHD1, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, CinemaxHD and StarzHD.

I checked last night and I guess recently they snuck in CBS. Still no INHD, or Starz though.
post #198 of 14496 Old 03-19-2004, 01:38 PM

Congrats!! CBSHD is amazing.
post #199 of 14496 Old 03-19-2004, 02:50 PM

I'm in Sunnyvale, and I got a message on my TiVo last night that "a cable lineup change has occurred", and then listed that 195/196 InHD1 and InHD2 were added.

I tried to tune to those channels, and my 5100 wouldn't even do it. So, for now I still have just the standard NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS and ESPN stations. I don't subscribe to HBO or Showtime, so I don't get those HD channels.

Eagerly awaiting InHD1 and InHD2. Perhaps adding them to the channel lineup in Sunnyvale is an indication that they are soon to come?
post #200 of 14496 Old 03-19-2004, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

You are aware that INHD are HiDef channels, and as such you won't be able to view them on your TiVO?

For that, you will have to wait a couple of weeks until the D* HD TiVO is available, or wait a few weeks/months until Comcast rolls out the Moto 6200's.

There! I've run circles of logic around you!
post #201 of 14496 Old 03-19-2004, 04:10 PM

HD channels are viewable via Tivo, but as SD not HD. Your cable box tunes it and Tivo records it in SD.

I do that for ABC, NBC,CBS shows instead of recording the Standard analog feed. Even though it's not recorded in HD, it is broadcasted in digital and is still much better quality than the analog feed.

It'll be interesting to see how well the 6200's work as a DVR. I don't have high hopes of retiring my Tivo anytime soon...

If you can see through your beer, DON"T DRINK IT!!
post #202 of 14496 Old 03-19-2004, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dandrewk
You are aware that INHD are HiDef channels, and as such you won't be able to view them on your TiVO?

For that, you will have to wait a couple of weeks until the D* HD TiVO is available, or wait a few weeks/months until Comcast rolls out the Moto 6200's.

I'm not sure what having a D*HD Tivo will do for you...InHD is currently exclusive to Cable and the D* HD Tivo will not accept anything other than D* signal or OTA Digital (ie no Inputs and no QAM support).

Anyway, like the previous poster said, Tivo will record it just fine as 480i (or I can use my Replay to record it 480P)...certainly not as good as 1080i, but it works if you like the program but need to timeshift it. The 6208 sounds like it records HD just fine, but the interface is more VCR like than Tivo-Like....a compromise we will have to make to record HD (and optionally SD) on cable give Tivo can't get any of the Cable MSO to buy into it and they arent willing to go it alone.
post #203 of 14496 Old 03-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That's why I wish they'd start giving us Moto 6200s...rumors are that you can just slap a firewire drive on it and it's an HDTV PVR. And even if that's not true you can still record via DVHS. And the Mac Firewire SDK comes with a VirtualDVHS program that will record just time...someone needs to hack that into a full-on PVR.
post #204 of 14496 Old 03-19-2004, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Based on other threads, D-VHS seems to work well enough with the firewire connection to the 6200, but I haven't seen anyone say they are able to get an external hard drive to work with it.

A Mac or PC can also work, I think, but only with the right software, driver, etc. (I am not as computer literate as some of you, so correct me if I'm wrong.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #205 of 14496 Old 03-22-2004, 02:54 PM

dandrewk- Yes, I'm aware that my TiVo Series 2 is an SD only recorder. It isn't even hooked up to the 5100 box; it has it's own dedicated DCT-2000 for tuning all channels.

My post was simply to let people in Sunnyvale know that, according to the source for TiVo guide data, there are indications that InHD1 and InHD2 are (possibly) due soon.

I'll be swapping my 5100 for a 6208 as soon as they are available. To bad it won' t be a TiVo, but being able to record HD will be great.

As soon as an SA HD TiVo is available, I'll have to seriously consider a purchase.
post #206 of 14496 Old 03-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Has anyone had any luck in even getting Comcast to admit that the 6200 box exists? The folks I talk to say that it's not even rolled out in other markets, which is not the case. Also whem I mentioned the April 1st FCC requirement to provide 1394-enabled boxes to those who request them they didn't know anything about that either.
post #207 of 14496 Old 03-22-2004, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What I would do is call back on April 1st, since the FCC requirement will then be in effect.

Then keep escalating your request for a 6200 until you get to a corporate-level person who will have a definite answer for you, such as "(1) Yes, we do have a few 6200's in stock for those who request them because of the FCC requirement (which the CSR's don't yet know about), or (2) We should have some 6200's by X/XX/2004, as they are on order and that is the estimated arrival date."

Before April 1st, since there is no regulation or rule in effect, you will probably get the runaround.

post #208 of 14496 Old 03-23-2004, 08:47 AM

Some HD channels I currently receive have close-captions but never on ABC HD, PBS HD and ESPN HD. Does the same thing happen to any of you guys? I'm using Motorola 5100 box.
post #209 of 14496 Old 03-23-2004, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JakiChan
Has anyone had any luck in even getting Comcast to admit that the 6200 box exists? The folks I talk to say that it's not even rolled out in other markets, which is not the case. Also whem I mentioned the April 1st FCC requirement to provide 1394-enabled boxes to those who request them they didn't know anything about that either.

There are no 6200 boxes in the Sacramento office. I've checked with their product folks a few times, and they have no idea if they will get them. I've been working with them for several months in testing the 6208, so I'm pretty sure they would have told me if they actually had the 6200 boxes.
post #210 of 14496 Old 03-26-2004, 08:01 AM

I am about to sign up for Comcast HDTV (Palo Alto) but I am concerned with all the problems I am reading here. Would anyone say, in hindsight, that they should have gone with a dish or some other alternative? Or is everything equally problematic at this point?

Thanks!
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page