2Likes

post #361 of 9994 Old 12-14-2005, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan_9 View Post

fatboy, what signal strength do you get in the attic? what direction do you have it pointed? do you have the screen on or off?

i was hoping to be able to put it in my attic for ease of use/installation at least at first. if i could catch all those channels with it in my attic that is all i would need. any advice/input you could give me would really help. do you have a tv w/ hd tuner or ext one?

I have a really advanced and high tech setup. CM 4221 hanging from twine in my attic pointing north. Get really technical and point it east to get wvla, wbrz. Otherwise, i get katc, kadn, klfy, and 3 lpb stations. klfy over 90%, katc 70, kadn 60s. No problems with pixelization. I have sony 50a10 with built in tuner. you should have no problems. antenna 4221 is <$30 at ralphs. 4228 about $50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 9994 Old 12-15-2005, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's a chart with the various CM antennas, their sizes, bands, gains, etc.

http://www.solidsignal.com/channelma...enna_chart.asp
post #363 of 9994 Old 12-16-2005, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboydave View Post

I have a really advanced and high tech setup. CM 4221 hanging from twine in my attic pointing north. Get really technical and point it east to get wvla, wbrz. Otherwise, i get katc, kadn, klfy, and 3 lpb stations. klfy over 90%, katc 70, kadn 60s. No problems with pixelization. I have sony 50a10 with built in tuner. you should have no problems. antenna 4221 is <$30 at ralphs. 4228 about $50.

so there is any way to get wvla, wbrz out of baton rouge and katc, kadn, klfy, lpb out of lafayette on one attenna? or would you need 2 pointed in different directions?

via antenna web: (for my house)
ch dir dist
KLFY 302 22.4
KLPB 302 22.4
KATC 317 7.6
KADN 314 21.1

WBZR 74 47.7
WVLA 70 43.4

i've heard of people taking the screen off of the 4228, what does this do?

thanks.
post #364 of 9994 Old 12-16-2005, 03:12 PM

Quote:

so there is any way to get wvla, wbrz out of baton rouge and katc, kadn, klfy, lpb out of lafayette on one attenna? or would you need 2 pointed in different directions?

via antenna web: (for my house)
ch dir dist
KLFY 302 22.4
KLPB 302 22.4
KATC 317 7.6
KADN 314 21.1

WBZR 74 47.7
WVLA 70 43.4

i've heard of people taking the screen off of the 4228, what does this do?

thanks.

You can catch both BR and LAF but may need two to catch at the same time. You can catch BR with 4221 bowties pointing east. I have not spent enough time trying to get the antennas in the perfect location to catch both. What kind of tv?
post #365 of 9994 Old 12-16-2005, 03:41 PM

no HDTV yet....i will be buying a complete Home Theatre early '06 (HDTV, receiver, speakers, etc) just trying to figure all this stuff out before hand.

what about the screen on the Channel Master 4228....what does it do if you take it off. I've read something about how you can catch channels of the back or something?
post #366 of 9994 Old 12-17-2005, 08:02 AM

Quote:

no HDTV yet....i will be buying a complete Home Theatre early '06 (HDTV, receiver, speakers, etc) just trying to figure all this stuff out before hand.

what about the screen on the Channel Master 4228....what does it do if you take it off. I've read something about how you can catch channels of the back or something?

removing screen affects signal reflection i believe. all that antenna theory stuff is way over my head. i just read a lot about what kind of reception people are getting with different antennas and tried the cm4221. had good results and was pleased but will tinker with it in the future to include br and laf stations. everyone who discusses antennas always state the higher the better and bigger the better.
post #367 of 9994 Old 12-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboydave View Post

removing screen affects signal reflection i believe. all that antenna theory stuff is way over my head. i just read a lot about what kind of reception people are getting with different antennas and tried the cm4221. had good results and was pleased but will tinker with it in the future to include br and laf stations. everyone who discusses antennas always state the higher the better and bigger the better.

Removing the screen from the 4228 will do three things:
1. reduce the gain of the antenna
2. make it bi-directional instead of directional.
3. Void the warranty.

According to what I learned in antenna theory (some decades ago) the screen protects the antenna from receiving signals from the back of the antenna, and increases gain in the forward direction. With the screen removed, the 4228 should act like two slightly lower gain bow tie antennas mounted back to back.

Richard
post #368 of 9994 Old 12-18-2005, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv6 View Post

3. Void the warranty.

According to what I learned in antenna theory (some decades ago) the screen protects the antenna from receiving signals from the back of the antenna, and increases gain in the forward direction. With the screen removed, the 4228 should act like two slightly lower gain bow tie antennas mounted back to back.

Richard

thanks....thats what i was thinking. won't really help me catch both Laf and BR channels b/c they are not 180* from each other or even close. Laf channels around 300-315 from my house and BR's are 70-74 so i would need 2 ant. But just in Laf i should be able to get FOX, ABC, CBS, PBS and on COXHD i can get ESPN and NBC so i'm pretty set with all the networks and sports.

you guys have any experience with the HD Tuner from Radio Shack for ~$90? Seems like it is pretty good esp for the price. I am thinking about getting that and a Panasonic 42' 8UK for my new house.

thanks again.
post #369 of 9994 Old 12-20-2005, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv6 View Post

3. Void the warranty.

Richard

It also cuts down on the 180 degree multipathing.
post #370 of 9994 Old 12-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

I still have a brand new 4228 in my garage if anyone needs one.

I got it to see if it would help with distant stations and did not remember that it was UHF only. Now that I can get KPLC from lake charles (Thanks to the Hurricane removing all the trees from Beaumont) I have no need for it.

Richard, any idea what is the problem with our local NBC?
They have a horrible picture and even worse sound (Very scratchy) right now.
I emailed Charlie at their station but got no response from him about the problem.
Just currious why they make their viewers put up with it day after day.
They have the same problem on cable, analog and digital.
post #371 of 9994 Old 12-20-2005, 07:08 PM

Arcade what kind of setup are you using? I am in Stumpwood(formerly known as Pinewood). I have a Ratshack antenna(V-shaped with amplifier) but can't remember model. Its fine for 4, 6 and 12's digital channels but would love to pick up FOX HD out of LC. Not sure if it is doable or not from where I am at and thought I would at least ask.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mickey A
post #372 of 9994 Old 12-21-2005, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post

Arcade what kind of setup are you using? I am in Stumpwood(formerly known as Pinewood). I have a Ratshack antenna(V-shaped with amplifier) but can't remember model. Its fine for 4, 6 and 12's digital channels but would love to pick up FOX HD out of LC. Not sure if it is doable or not from where I am at and thought I would at least ask.

Thanks for any suggestions.

No Hope for FOX HD out of Lake Charles. They are not passing through any FOX HD signals. Their Standard digital is being broadcast from their studio and cannot even be seen by the majority of the people in Lake Charles. They will eventually have a new tower and broadcast transmitter just north of Sulphur but no one seems to no when that will happen. Hopefully by 2009 which is the latest analog cutoff date.
post #373 of 9994 Old 12-21-2005, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyww View Post

No Hope for FOX HD out of Lake Charles. They are not passing through any FOX HD signals. Their Standard digital is being broadcast from their studio and cannot even be seen by the majority of the people in Lake Charles. They will eventually have a new tower and broadcast transmitter just north of Sulphur but no one seems to no when that will happen. Hopefully by 2009 which is the latest analog cutoff date.

Woody, Because of FCC regulations, KVHP, along with all other commercial tv stations (excluding LPTV) must be at full power as of July 1st 2006, That's about 7 months from now. I'm waiting on KALB Alexandria, LA to appear as well as our new WB affiliate KLWB (licensed to New Iberia, La)

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #374 of 9994 Old 12-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

I have the Radio Shack VU-90 antenna combo with no amp.

Woody is correct. Fox in Lake Charles is very weak right now.
Some days I can get FOX 26 from Houston though.
I never point my antenna towards the West though because their is just to many trees for me in that direction. (Even after the Storm).
But even pointed NE like I have it now I still get Houston from time to time.
post #375 of 9994 Old 12-21-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:

.....you guys have any experience with the HD Tuner from Radio Shack for ~$90? Seems like it is pretty good esp for the price. I am thinking about getting that and a Panasonic 42' 8UK for my new house.

thanks again.

I'm using the Accurian from Radio Shack and I have had very good luck with it. The remote is pitiful, but I programmed my HT receiver remote for it. As I recall that was a closeout price so I'm not sure of it's current availability
post #376 of 9994 Old 12-21-2005, 02:05 PM

Does anyone know what the deal is with KPLC? I have not checked in over a week but some nights they would blow the doors off my signal strength meter with no programming at all, then other nights it was SD feed. I know that they have had HD at least some time since the storm.
post #377 of 9994 Old 12-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUHD2 View Post

I'm using the Accurian from Radio Shack and I have had very good luck with it. The remote is pitiful, but I programmed my HT receiver remote for it. As I recall that was a closeout price so I'm not sure of it's current availability

I am using the Accurian from Radio Shack as well. The Tuner is great.
Like the post above I have gotten rid of the horrible remote and now use the Harmony 628 that I bought at Sams Club. Works great.
post #378 of 9994 Old 12-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

My brother just got off the phone with a guy named Alan that works for KBTV-4 in Beaumont. He says that Nexstar is coming in to revamp the entire news room and broadcast equipment in Feburary or March. He thinks they may be broadcasting an HD signal after that.

Richard.
Have you heard anything about this?
He said Nexstar is going to do this for everyone of their network stations across the country.
I will try to find out more myself soon.
Leon.
post #379 of 9994 Old 12-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

After searching a bit I came up with this news release.
Not the easiest thing to understand but their may be some truth to this.

Ai (Acrodyne Industries, Inc.) Receives Multi-Million Dollar

Master Purchase Agreement and Order

from Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc.

for Digital and Analog Television Transmitters

Nexstar to upgrade or replace all group station transmitters

Cockeysville, MD, June 18, 2002Acrodyne Industries, Inc. (Ai), a leading manufacturer of television transmission systems, announced today that the Nexstar Broadcasting Group, headquartered in Clarks Summit, PA, has signed an exclusive Master Purchase Agreement for digital and analog transmitters. The agreement is a contract for Acrodyne to supply the Nexstar group's digital and analog transmitter needs using the Rohde & Schwarz solid-state transmitters and the Ai Quantum IOT equipped transmitter series.

The purchase agreement is for fourteen low power UHF DTV solid-state transmitters and two low power VHF DTV solid-state transmitters for their initial digital implementation. Deliveries for the first phase will commence in September of this year and completion is set for April of 2003. The agreement included fourteen future Quantum transmitter upgrades with output power up to 50kW average for digital transmission to accommodate the FCC authorized power. The total value of the contracts through the upgrade phase is valued at over nine million dollars.

In addition to the DTV transmitters, Nexstar has contracted for two Quantum analog high power UHF transmitters to be delivered before the end of this calendar year. Nexstar has recognized the value of replacing older, less efficient, klystron transmitters with the state-of-the-art Quantum energy efficient IOT transmitters, considerably reducing energy consumption and improving cash flow for the group.

Perry Sook, President/CEO of Nexstar, commented, After a long and detailed analysis and investigation of all industry sources for our transmission requirements, we came to the conclusion that Ai and its products most closely meet our needs for the latest transmitter technology for both our digital and analog applications. Ai's approach to product design, manufacturing, and customer service, exceeded our expectations and convinced us to go with the best.

Nat Ostroff, Chairman of the Board of Ai, remarked, Nexstar's decision to purchase both our high power Quantum transmitters for their analog applications and the Rohde & Schwarz low power solid-state transmitters for their digital applications is yet another vote of confidence in both Ai and its product lines. We welcome Nexstar to the rapidly growing family of Quantum owners.

Ai is the exclusive distributor of the low power, solid-state, digital transmitters, designed and manufactured by Rohde & Schwarz, the world's leading manufacturer of solid-state transmitters.

Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc., headquartered in Clarks Summit, PA, currently owns and operates fourteen stations and provides management, sales or other services to an additional six stations. The stations are clustered in the Northeast, Midwest and Southwest regions of the United States and are diverse in their network affiliations - NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, UPN.

Acrodyne Industries, Inc., the operating subsidiary of Acrodyne Communications, Inc., and a publicly traded company, has been an established and respected manufacturer of television broadcast equipment for over three decades. Acrodyne is a leading producer of technically advanced, high quality television transmitters.
post #380 of 9994 Old 12-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like HD is a no go for KBTV-4 in Beumont.
Here is the email reply I got back from their assistant chief engineer reguarding the issue:

Dear Leon, my name is J.C. Johnson and I am the assistant chief engineer with KBTV. In answer to your question, we do not intend, although it mey be stepped up, to broadcast in full HD until required by the FCC. It is mainly a cost effective plan we have. We are now broadcasting in SD television on the 480i scheme. I am not sure of your other question concerning the water in the line, that is not anything I know about, but we have not, to my knowledge had any audio problems.
Thanks,
J.C. Johnson
KBTV
post #381 of 9994 Old 12-24-2005, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post

Looks like HD is a no go for KBTV-4 in Beumont.
Here is the email reply I got back from their assistant chief engineer reguarding the issue:

Dear Leon, my name is J.C. Johnson and I am the assistant chief engineer with KBTV. In answer to your question, we do not intend, although it mey be stepped up, to broadcast in full HD until required by the FCC. It is mainly a cost effective plan we have. We are now broadcasting in SD television on the 480i scheme. I am not sure of your other question concerning the water in the line, that is not anything I know about, but we have not, to my knowledge had any audio problems.
Thanks,
J.C. Johnson
KBTV

Thank God for KPLC 7-1 and 7-2
post #382 of 9994 Old 12-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Woody, Because of FCC regulations, KVHP, along with all other commercial tv stations (excluding LPTV) must be at full power as of July 1st 2006, That's about 7 months from now. I'm waiting on KALB Alexandria, LA to appear as well as our new WB affiliate KLWB (licensed to New Iberia, La)

The FCC regulations do not actually state that I, for example, have to put out 1,000,000 watts of power (my original "full power" assignment) by July, 2006.

These FCC regulations require some top markets to build full power facilities. I don't remember the number, but it WELL above our 137th ranking. The remaining stations have to build full power facilities if they want to fully protect their interference contours.

Translated into English, this means that if I don't build a full power facility (1,000,000 Watts), someone could build a station that causes interference to my signal in certain locations, and I couldn't do anything about it.
This loss of interference protection is obviously a penality for not building full power.

In effect, my current 50,000 Watts will become my "full power" assignment. I can increase my power up to 1,000,000 Watts sometime in the future, but my interference protection will not increase.

Clear as mud?

Richard
post #383 of 9994 Old 12-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post

I still have a brand new 4228 in my garage if anyone needs one.

I got it to see if it would help with distant stations and did not remember that it was UHF only. Now that I can get KPLC from lake charles (Thanks to the Hurricane removing all the trees from Beaumont) I have no need for it.

Richard, any idea what is the problem with our local NBC?
They have a horrible picture and even worse sound (Very scratchy) right now.
I emailed Charlie at their station but got no response from him about the problem.
Just currious why they make their viewers put up with it day after day.
They have the same problem on cable, analog and digital.

I just watched KBTV for a few minutes here at my home in Anahuac. It was during their local newscast, and I didn't hear any audio problems (however, my hearing is getting worse as I get older). I have Jeff listen for any audio problems at channel 6, since I can no longer hear any of the "highs" (I can hear HUM ok, but I can't hear hissing). The signal quality was too low (noisy) to evaluate the picture quality. The poor picture I saw may have been due to low signal level or an interfering signal.

I will watch some KBTV this week at work, and let you know what I see. But since I don't work at KBTV, there isn't much I can do to fix any problems over there.

Maybe the new Nexstar transmitters will fix the problem. (I also believe that pigs fly over a flat Earth).

Richard
post #384 of 9994 Old 01-08-2006, 08:42 PM

I will be moving to Lumberton in about a month when they are finished building my home. Right now I live in Beaumont and can only receive 4, 6, and 12. I have the receiver and Winegard antenna that I got from Voom. I am planning on putting up an outdoor antenna when I move to lumberton and at about 30 feet. What antenna and other equiptment should I purchase to maximize my HD experience. I would love to be able to pull in the Houston area stations since they have so many that broadcast in HD.

Thanks
post #385 of 9994 Old 01-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas55555 View Post

I will be moving to Lumberton in about a month when they are finished building my home. Right now I live in Beaumont and can only receive 4, 6, and 12. I have the receiver and Winegard antenna that I got from Voom. I am planning on putting up an outdoor antenna when I move to lumberton and at about 30 feet. What antenna and other equiptment should I purchase to maximize my HD experience. I would love to be able to pull in the Houston area stations since they have so many that broadcast in HD.

Thanks

Goto www.antennaweb.org to select the proper antenna. I entered zip code 77657, and it says that you need a really good antenna and possibly a preamp if you want to pick up the Houston stations. If you enter your new street address, in Lumberton, it could get more accurate.

The antenna selector program does not take into account how high the antenna is, but it does compensate for trees. The program appears to assume a rooftop mount for the antenna.

Spending all that money for an antenna, preamp and 30' pole just BEGS that you also install an antenna rotor. But I'm sure you had already planned on that.

Richard
post #386 of 9994 Old 01-12-2006, 12:01 PM

I noticed last night that KPLC has their HD feed going again! I haven't been able to watch much TV lately, so that may not be new to some of you.
post #387 of 9994 Old 01-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUHD2 View Post

I noticed last night that KPLC has their HD feed going again! I haven't been able to watch much TV lately, so that may not be new to some of you.

Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping it was not just my location again.
post #388 of 9994 Old 01-26-2006, 10:11 AM

I just found this forum. I entered the world of trying to get off air HDTV in Lafayette, Louisiana about a year ago. I have tried a lot of things and learned a lot the hard way. As of the last few weeks, I have an antenna set up (all in my attic) that allows very good digital reception from KATC 3.1 (ABC), KADN 15.1 (FOX), KLFY 10.1 (CBS), LPB 24(PUBLIC), and WVLA 33.1 (NBC).

I also can receive KPLC 7.1 (ABC) from Lake Charles approx 98% of the time. The Lake Charles NBC station gave me the most trouble for a long time. Ironically, just about the time I got my antenna working, KPLC had a lot of problems which I understand from emails to their chief engineer, turned out to be software problems. The really weird part is that just when I got things working pretty well, I noticed that 33 from Baton Rouge made what I can only assume was a giant leap in signal quality so that I can now get NBC on 33.1 with a very high signal strength and excellent reliability!

This is the main thing I want to pass on. If you have been fighting Channel 7, try 33. They have not to my knowledge publicized their upgrade but it is significant and it has excellent HD reliability. Channel 7 still seems to have problems switching back to HD after commercials but 33 switches back reliably.

FYI. I live in Southern Lafayette Parish close to the river and close to the Vermilion Parish line.
post #389 of 9994 Old 01-26-2006, 03:50 PM

Not sure what forum to ask this from but I am looking for a list of frequencies that correspond to all of the digital channels on these threads. I am particularly interested channels other than 4, 6 and 12s since I can look them up easily. Of the top of my head they are 21, 40 and 50 or something close. What the others in LC, LAF and BR - May as well through in Houston's too.

My tuner may not find them while searching but I can dial in the frequency to see if anything oscalates by when pointing my antenae.

I hope this question can be answered.

Mickey A
post #390 of 9994 Old 01-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post

Not sure what forum to ask this from but I am looking for a list of frequencies that correspond to all of the digital channels on these threads. I am particularly interested channels other than 4, 6 and 12s since I can look them up easily. Of the top of my head they are 21, 40 and 50 or something close. What the others in LC, LAF and BR - May as well through in Houston's too.

My tuner may not find them while searching but I can dial in the frequency to see if anything oscalates by when pointing my antenae.

I hope this question can be answered.

Lake Charles has KPLC NBC 7 on Ditigal Channel 8.1

Here is a list from the Houston Thread on this forum:

# Call Sign (Network, Network HD Standard) - Analog Channel, Digital channel
Sub-channel details
# KPRC (NBC, 1080i) - Analog: 2, Digital: 35
2-1 - HDTV (1080i)
2-2 - SDTV simulcast (480i) <-- Frequently shows a weather forecast with audio overlay from main channel
2-3 - Weather radar (480i)
2-4 - *NEW* - not currently in use
# KUHT (PBS, 1080i) - Analog: 8, Digital: 9 (VHF, 8.7kW)
8-1 - HDTV (1080i)
8-2 - SDTV simulcast (480i)
# KHOU (CBS, 1080i) - Analog: 11, Digital: 31
11-1 - HDTV (1080i)
11-2 - Weather radar (480i)
# KTRK (ABC O&O, 720p) - Analog: 13, Digital: 32
Contact: Chuck Primrose (AVS UserID: CAPHouston) - Charles.A.Primrose@abc.com
13-1 - HDTV (720p)
13-2 - News/Special Interest (480i)
13-3 - Weather radar (480i) (the lightning tracker is cool!)
# KETH (TBN, ???) - Analog: 14, Digital: 24
14-1 - SDTV (480i) simulcast of Trinity Broadcasting from analog channel
14-2 - SDTV (480i) The Church Channel
14-3 - SDTV (480i) JCTV
14-4 - SDTV (480i) TBN Enlace USA
# KTXH (UPN, ???) - Analog: 20, Digital: 19
20-1 - HDTV (1080i)
# KLTJ (Daystar, ???) - Analog: 22, Digital: 23 (Galveston) DT License: Construction Permit
# KRIV (FOX O&O, 720p) - Analog: 26, Digital: 27
26-1 - HDTV (720p)
# KHWB (WB O&O, 1080i) - Analog: 39, Digital: 38
Contact: Bob Chase (AVS UserID: bobchase) - bchase@tribune.com
39-1 - HDTV (1080i)
# KXLN (Univision O&O, ???) - Analog: 45, Digital: 46
45-1 - SDTV (480i)
# KTMD (Telemundo O&O, ???) - Analog: 47, Digital: 48
47-2 - EDTV (480p)
# KPXB (PAX, ???) - Analog: 49, Digital: 5 (Low VHF, 9.5kW)
49-1 - ??? (???)
49-2 - ??? (???)
49-3 - ??? (???)
49-4 - ??? (???)
# KNWS (Independent, n/a) - Analog: 51, Digital: 52
# KTBU (Independent, n/a) - Analog: 55, Digital: 42
55-1 - ???? (????)
# KAZH (Azteca, ???) - Analog: 57, Digital: 41
57-1 - SDTV (480i)
# KZJL (Independent, n/a) - Analog: 61, Digital: 44
61-1 - SDTV (480i)
# KFTH (Telefutura, ??) - Analog: 67, Digital: 36