post #451 of 10000 Old 04-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyww View Post

except for Southeast Texas. KFDM is the only local that has stepped up to the plate and comitted beaucoup dollars and effort to digital broadcasting. I believe they started broadcasting in September 2003 and were able to pass through all CBS HD programming....

For you Trivia buffs out there: KFDM-DT started broadcasting on Sept 12, 2002.

I don't know exact dates, but KBMT was on the air first and KBTV was last. Channels 34 and 29 also fit in there somewhere.

Technically, there is no such thing as a HD channel; broadcast engineers call them digital channels. The term "HD channel" would be appropriate for satellite and cable systems, I suppose. But it just adds to the confusion.

Someone should have noticed that HD (High Definition) and DTV (Digital TV) is just asking for consumer confusion since the "D" means different things when talking about the same subject. "D" should have been digital, and HD something else. Hummmm, what means "definition" but doesn't start with a "D"? How about Clarity? HCTV? Yuck. maybe not.

OK, D equals definition; but what means digital without starting with a "D"? How about "Not Analog"? NATV?

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 10000 Old 04-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=captnjameskirk]
But here's what is still confusing me a bit. KBMT and KBTV are both broadcasting signals to be picked up and decoded by HD receivers, correct? So I would think that this would be called an "HD broadcast", and both stations advertise that they are broadcasting on HD channels. But even though the signal is designed to be used by HD equipment, the resolution is not good enough to actually be classified as HD, if I understand correctly. So it's digital, and it's broadcast on HD channels for HD equipment, but it's not 720 or 1080 so it can't be called "real HD".

Have I "got it" now? Wow, I guess I'll hold off on getting that 57" LG I've got my eye on. Kinda reminds of the those sets which boast "1080i READY!" but with built-in tuners only capable of 720i.

Okay, given this situation, is it possible to set up a 3rd-story attic-mount antenna which could pick up the HD channels out of Houston from old-town Beaumont? QUOTE]

We get back to the equipment manufacturers and equipment names. Technically, no one owns an "HD receiver", it's actually a "digital TV set" capable of displaying High Definition pictures. Some digital sets have a built-in "digital tuner" and some do not. This tuner should never be called an "HD tuner" since there is no such thing. But the manufacturer thinks this sounds better to the consumer and in some ways, it is better than "digital". The consumer should not have to know or care how the picture got to his home. It should just "be there".

If you place your 3 story house on top of the Entergy building in Downtown Beaumont (250 feet above ground), you just might get reliable digital reception from Houston with your attic antenna. But I doubt it.

Richard
post #453 of 10000 Old 04-10-2006, 04:35 AM

Liked: 10
I decided to email Time Warner cable and add my voice to those asking them to carry the digital signals of the local stations.

Guess what? You can't email customer service! Here is the Golden Triangle Time Warner customer service page. Email links are conspicuously absent. They do have a web-form for things related to the webpage itself, so I pointed out that they forgot the email links (though "forgot" probably isn't what happened at all).

The webpage for TWC Houston lists 5 local HD channels which are carried as part of their Basic package. If only we were so lucky!
post #454 of 10000 Old 04-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Captnjameskirk
Check your private messages.
I sent you the email link to the head of Time Warner Beaumont.
post #455 of 10000 Old 04-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Richard,

Both my brother and I have been getting poor signal from channel 6 all week.
I do not know if it is just the trees blooming or something with your transmitter, but we have not been able to watch CBS all week because of the picture freezing and all of the digital artifacts on the screen.
At both of our houses digital 4 and 12 do not break up at all. Just KFDM.
Anybody else been calling you about this?
Thanks,
Leon.
post #456 of 10000 Old 04-10-2006, 09:55 PM

I also noticed that KFDM is not broadcasting a STEREO signal on its analog station anymore? Sounds mono to me?
post #457 of 10000 Old 04-11-2006, 06:40 PM

Is it just me or is Southeast Texas the single worst place in the county with all 4 networks for HDTV. Only one is actually broadcasting in HDTV, none of the digital signals are carried by cable, and one is so weak that it requires a "large multi-directional antenna" (according to antennaweb.org) even though the tower is only 8 miles from my house.

It's just a little discouraging!
post #458 of 10000 Old 04-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Yes. It is very sad indeed.
But we are not the only ones. Just check the Corpus Christi Thread on these forums.
They are in the exact same boat as us, only they get NBC HD instead of CBS HD.

At least in two months we will have two of the four networks.
What really makes me mad is the cable issue. These guys are just making the viewers angry by not reaching an agreement faster.

And Richard. I went up and tweaked my antenna direction a bit and your station is coming in much better tonight. Must just be the trees.
post #459 of 10000 Old 04-12-2006, 03:34 PM

I've been using a Radio Shack 15-1878 antenna, which I was told was a decent indoor amped antenna, and I've only been getting 6.1/2 and 12.1. After purusing many online reviews, I decided to get a Terk HDTVa (until I pony up for an outdoor setup when KBTV finally begins broadcasting in HD instead of SD, but that's a good few months away it seems).

Without the Terk's little pre-amp turned on, channel 4.1 was dead in the water, just too weak to pick up at all, no matter how I pointed the dang thing. I'm pretty sure my Motorolla walkie-talkies I bought at Sam's for $50 have a stronger signal than KBTV-DT. Anyway, when I switched on the little pre-amp, *BOOM* the signal strength jump up to almost 80%. All-in-all, I'm pretty impressed with this little guy. w00t!

Now if we could only get the locals carried on cable, I could add the 25 or so QAM channels to the list. But Time Warner has not yet responded to my email on the subject (thanks for that email address, Arcade).
post #460 of 10000 Old 04-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodin View Post

I also noticed that KFDM is not broadcasting a STEREO signal on its analog station anymore? Sounds mono to me?

Well, I went up to the lobby, and it does appear that we are broadcasting a mono signal. This is real interesting, since we can't do anything from the studio location that would cause this to happen. I just don't have a "mono" button anywhere.

I will make a trip out there and fix it. Thanks for the "heads up". I wondered why no one in master control noticed this. I looked around, and not one piece of my audio monitoring equipment has a "stereo" or "mono" light on it. Hmmmmm

Arcade: I am currently running around the countryside checking both digital and analog signal levels. Rita may have done some hidden damage to my antenna(s) that was not noticed before the tower crew left after they "fixed" them back in October.

Woody: We have a few BR (Before Rita) viewers in Bridge City that can no longer pick up my digital signal. I am willing to assume that you are still picking us up since you haven't called yet. Is this a correct assumption?

Richard
post #461 of 10000 Old 04-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Richard. Glad to hear you are on top of things. My brother is still having trouble with KFDM and he lives in the West End of Beaumont just like me.
He is able to get 4 and 12 with no artifacts or screen freezes. We both have chimney mounted outdoor antennas.

I just received a reply from Time Warner. In my email I asked about,
HGTV HD, Food Network HD, and the KBMT and KFDM digital signals on cable.
Below is the responce I received:

(We are talking with these networks through our corporate programming department. Locally, we're talking with KBMT and tomorrow I have lunch with Larry at KFDM to discuss their HD signal. I'll let you know if there is anything to report. Thanks for the email.

gku)

At least they are talking.
Leon.
post #462 of 10000 Old 04-13-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post

Below is the responce I received:
(We are talking with these networks through our corporate programming department. Locally, we're talking with KBMT and tomorrow I have lunch with Larry at KFDM to discuss their HD signal. I'll let you know if there is anything to report. Thanks for the email.

I got a response back to mine as well. I also asked about the analog channels being duplicated in a higher "digital" range with the recent lineup change. Here is the response:

Quote:

During the digital realignment into genres or themes, the channels on the basic lineup were not duplicated in the higher channel ranges, only the expanded basic and digital channels. The expanded basic channels are still carried in analog not digital. In the near future we will begin moving more of our analog channels to digital but that transition for consumers is still a ways off.

(Actually his statement isn't entirely correct here, since some of the "regular" basic channels were in fact duplicated in addition to the "expanded" basic channels, just not the local affiliates). So, all these "standard" channels are still analog and they don't plan on changing that any time soon. How long have they been selling "digital cable" now, 5-6 years? I know I've been paying for it for 5 years, and I'm more than a little miffed that the channels I watch most are all still analog. I have to ask myself why I'm still paying for this so-called "digital cable". I would also like to point out that the new channel guide clearly labels (in a big, bold, purple font) these new duplicated channels as "digital", even though it seems now that they are only analog.

Quote:

Regarding the local digital and HD feeds, we must have permission from each local broadcaster to carry their signal on our system. We have permission to carry the analog signal only. This week I'm meeting with KFDM again to discuss the potential for carriage. Their position has been to request compensation for such an arrangement but we are not interested in paying for a channel carried over the public airwaves. Similarlly we are working with the other broadcasters to obtain their HD signals when available. I hope to see some movement on this very soon.

Interesting. I like the part where they say "we are not interested in paying for a channel carried over the public airwaves". But they sure don't have a problem charging for it! How many subscribers would they lose if they didn't offer the local networks at all? How many subscribers will they lose when those subscribers actually get HD sets and see what they are missing?

I also find it interesting that Time Warner in Beaumont is still having problems getting agreements for the local digital signals while the problem seems to have been solved right next door in Houston. I would think that the local affiliates would love for their coverage area to be extended for free. In my opinion, both sides are being ridiculous here. On the one hand TWC is charging us for something they get for free and now they don't want to pay a part of what they get; on the other, the affilates are looking at reaching MANY more homes with TWC coverage than they could without it.

So what's a possible outcome? TWC will lose customers who can pick up the HD signals with an antenna and so cancel their cable subscription, and the local stations will lose customers who can't pick up the signal with an antenna at all.
post #463 of 10000 Old 04-13-2006, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Richard,
I'm receiving you fine with no breakups.. I haven't seen any problems since Rita. I live just off of Texas Ave. and Roundbunch. I'm using a Rat Shack 12 element UHF/VHF antenna in my attic.
post #464 of 10000 Old 04-13-2006, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Captain James Kirk,

Well said. I've been hearing the same old song and dance from Time Warner since KFDM first went on the air with their digital signal. Mike Mckee has been saying the same thing for years. He doesn't want to pay for a signal that he has been getting for free but he sure doesn't mind charging us for it. It's just odd that TWC in Houston added their local digital lineup as soon as they went live.
That's why I'm staying with D* until something changes. In the meantime I will continue to receive sterling quality HDTV from KFDM on my attic antenna and hopefully some of these other locals will get going in the next few months.
By the way, I called FOX 29 in Lake Charles yesterday to ask them about their digital signal. Nobody knew nothing except Mark the engineer and he couldn't be located. I left a message on his voice mail and hopefully he will call me back. I did notice that 29 was completely off the air last night. who knows?
post #465 of 10000 Old 04-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodin View Post

Fixed it!

Richard
post #466 of 10000 Old 04-17-2006, 06:52 AM

Awesome! Thanks Richard! I noticed the stereo icon pop back on my TV It was like that for about a week before I mentioned it. Don't you just love electronics? lol
post #467 of 10000 Old 04-17-2006, 12:56 PM

Richard (or someone),
Am I wrong, or is "Young and the Restless" in HD but "Bold and the Beautiful" is in SD? Aren't they both network feeds?

Please do not take this as an admission that I view said programs on a regular basis.
post #468 of 10000 Old 04-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjameskirk View Post

Richard (or someone),
Am I wrong, or is "Young and the Restless" in HD but "Bold and the Beautiful" is in SD? Aren't they both network feeds?

Please do not take this as an admission that I view said programs on a regular basis.

Y&R is the only "Soap" that is produced in HD. If they are not produced in HD, I sure can't broadcast them in HD.

This may be due to the age of the actors (I guess they are young. Not sure if restless helps or not). Maybe they simply don't have as many wrinkles and imperfections in their complexion as the other soap "stars".

I have heard stories of famous actors and actresses refusing to appear on any talk show produced in HD. Something about them not looking so good in HDTV. Now if these stories are true or not is left up to conjecture.

Richard
post #469 of 10000 Old 04-19-2006, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Barbara Walters has it in her contract that they use "softening" on their HD lenses if she is going to appear in any TV show that broadcasts in High Definition.
It's the same for Good Morning America on weekdays. The studio cameras are softened so Charly Gibson and whatshername look pretty good. On the weekends however, the cameras are sharpened up and you can see every pimple and wart on the weekend hosts.
post #470 of 10000 Old 04-20-2006, 08:56 AM

Funny. And I guess that Oprah will refuse to do her show in HD as well for similar reasons. That's a shame, because if Oprah got on the HD bandwagon, it would probably get adopted a lot more quickly by her loyal legions, and more local stations would upgrade quicker just so they could broadcast her show.
post #471 of 10000 Old 04-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Barbara Walters has it in her contract that they use "softening" on their HD lenses if she is going to appear in any TV show that broadcasts in High Definition.
It's the same for Good Morning America on weekdays. The studio cameras are softened so Charly Gibson and whatshername look pretty good. On the weekends however, the cameras are sharpened up and you can see every pimple and wart on the weekend hosts.

I remember when (standby.....I am about to reveal my age) when "Softening" involved smearing a little Vaseline on the camera lens. Now-a-days, we just enable a circuit that kills the high frequencies. We can even do it based on a single color so that Barbara WAWA's face is soft, but everything else in the picture is unaffected.

Captain; you are probably right. If mentioning some lousy book's title on Oprah can turn it into a best seller, then she could probably jump start the HDTV bandwagon without working up a sweat.

Richard
post #472 of 10000 Old 04-22-2006, 06:46 PM

I'd like to have that email to TWC as well. I am really getting tired of this. I still cannot believe how backwards this place can be sometimes. Apologies to those that have lived here awhile, I just don't see why we don't carry at least the locals on cable in HD.

-J
post #473 of 10000 Old 04-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Because Southeast Texas has always been about 25 years behind the rest of the country -including Houston just 90 miles away.

When I moved here in 6th grade in 1973 I felt like I was living in the actual "Happy Days" sets for my junior high in Nederland. It looks a lot like the "Grease" Movie high school from the outside . The morals, standards, dress codes etc were all so 1950's.

Now as a parent I kind of appreciate the slightly "backward"ideas for my little boy and his school experiences. In fact the older I get the more I do appreciate the whole town, especially after Hurricane Rita. In fact the whole southeast Texas area is a nice place to live. I am so glad it is still here and the hurricane didn't come in any further west or we wouldn't be talking online right now. That being said, I do wish that the local tv stations could fast forward to the 21 st century and do everything in true hd , not just digital.

I don't have cable anymore. I cut the cord about 10 years ago. I have had satellite since 95 and Dish satellite since 97. The dish hd dvr uses an ota antenna which I can use to receive my hd channels and even record them in hd. I only wish that channels 4 and 12 would hurry up and upgrade to true hd. I also wish that 12 would move their damn ota transmitter to the same area as 4 and 6. It is hard to receive all three with a regular ota antenna. Channel 6 is the only powerful hd station I can count on to be easy to lock in on.
post #474 of 10000 Old 04-24-2006, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Since last night I have been unable to get any of the local digital channels with my attic mounted Rat Shack antenna. I am however, receiving KLFY channel 10 analog from Lafayette and Channel 19 analog from Tyler/Longview.
Is anyone else seeing anything like this? Heck of a skybounce for some reason.
post #475 of 10000 Old 04-24-2006, 07:08 PM

If the weather is JUST RIGHT, I can pick up a TV Station (Channel 8) in Laredo here in Bridge City with RABBIT EARS! Weird eh?
post #476 of 10000 Old 04-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pack66 View Post

I'd like to have that email to TWC as well. I am really getting tired of this. I still cannot believe how backwards this place can be sometimes. Apologies to those that have lived here awhile, I just don't see why we don't carry at least the locals on cable in HD.

-J

Check your PM.
I sent the email address to you.
post #477 of 10000 Old 04-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Since last night I have been unable to get any of the local digital channels with my attic mounted Rat Shack antenna. I am however, receiving KLFY channel 10 analog from Lafayette and Channel 19 analog from Tyler/Longview.
Is anyone else seeing anything like this? Heck of a skybounce for some reason.

My tuner only picks up digital stations.
post #478 of 10000 Old 04-25-2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post

My tuner only picks up digital stations.

Mine too, but a couple of days ago I was getting about 6 Houston digital stations with my little indoor Terk. But I still couldn't get KVHP-DT out of Lake Charles.
post #479 of 10000 Old 05-01-2006, 09:14 PM

Thanks Arcade/Mike-D. I was really proud of the SETx community after Rita, but like you, I can't stand that we're so far behind in technology.
post #480 of 10000 Old 05-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

You're welcome. Let's hope that we can go another 20 years before another hurricane hit in southeast Texas.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page