post #541 of 9970 Old 06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post

Just found out that both KHWB 39 in Houston and KPLC 7 in Lake Charles will be showing "The Tube TV" on Digital channels 39.2 and 8.2.
This is an all music tv channel that shows nothing but music videos.
Check it out at http://www.thetubetv.com/

Bob Chase of the WB in Houston has been talking about the new station in the Houston Thread and I see that KPLC will be carrying the station as well.
Leon.

I wish they would take the tube off of our CBS in Baton Rouge. CBS on 9.1, news in a loop on 9.2, radar on 9.3, and the tube on 9.4 then to top that off they run only 46kw on RF46 on a 145 meter tower. You'll soon end up with a garbage 1080i 10Mbps stream like us. I can't wait to see their 0.36kw signal on their 500 meter tower on RF9. They guy down the street is running 1kw on his CB radio. He'll have a bigger rig except for height. LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9970 Old 06-13-2006, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay Richard, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the change into and out of commercials. The image gets sharper or "darker" at the beginning (the very split second) of a commercial break, but then whitens back out when it switches from commercial to the show. Once, the switch was delayed about 20 seconds past commercial. 6.2 didn't exhibit the problem, but it was on radar when I checked so I'm not 100% sure.
post #543 of 9970 Old 06-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

I wish they would take the tube off of our CBS in Baton Rouge. CBS on 9.1, news in a loop on 9.2, radar on 9.3, and the tube on 9.4 then to top that off they run only 46kw on RF46 on a 145 meter tower. You'll soon end up with a garbage 1080i 10Mbps stream like us. I can't wait to see their 0.36kw signal on their 500 meter tower on RF9. They guy down the street is running 1kw on his CB radio. He'll have a bigger rig except for height. LOL.

Yea, that does sound pretty bad. If our stations decide to multicast that much some day, they will definatly hear from me.
post #544 of 9970 Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 PM

I just got some good news for folks in and around Lafayette, LA. At present, Fox 15.1 is off the air. I asked why and got the following reply:

"We installed our new antenna at our Church Point transmitter site on Monday. We are in the process of configuring our new full power HD transmitter, the front end of which is our existing low power digital transmitter. We should be up in about a week or so with a new full power signal. You should start seeing test patterns if you are up late in the evening. If you go to the FCC web site, it will show you the coordinates for the new site so you can re-configure you antennas, but honestly, the signal should be strong enough for you to pick it up even if you have a yagi pointed the opposite direction."

According to the FCC documentation, this should be a very significant upgrade:
The tower that was being used is 67 meters and was authorized to broadcast at 1 kW. The new tower is permitted to 359 meters and to broadcast at 800 kW.

Although I have been getting 15.1 ok, the signal has been pretty weak and it required me to point a dedicated antenna directly at their temporary site. Based on the new location and power, I expect that most people in Lafayette will be able to get 15.1 without much effort. The direction from Lafayette is not very different than the tower for 10.1 and the PBS channels.

The FCC filings also indicate that Channel 3.1 (ABC) has plans to move their transmitter to the same area. It looks like it may be the same tower as 10.1. Does anyone have any information on when that will be done?

Once this is done, I expect that most people will be able to get CBS, ABC, FOX and PBS with a fairly small attic antenna.
post #545 of 9970 Old 06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjameskirk View Post

Okay Richard, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the change into and out of commercials. The image gets sharper or "darker" at the beginning (the very split second) of a commercial break, but then whitens back out when it switches from commercial to the show. Once, the switch was delayed about 20 seconds past commercial. 6.2 didn't exhibit the problem, but it was on radar when I checked so I'm not 100% sure.

Tell me what time of day you normally see this problem, and are willing to sit there and watch it happen.

I will have master control put black on 6.2 (before the local commercial break) so you can see if it has the same problem. I will also have them watch our picture on 6.1 and find out if they see the same thing as you.

Richard
post #546 of 9970 Old 06-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms111la View Post

I just got some good news for folks in and around Lafayette, LA. At present, Fox 15.1 is off the air. I asked why and got the following reply:

"We installed our new antenna at our Church Point transmitter site on Monday. We are in the process of configuring our new full power HD transmitter, the front end of which is our existing low power digital transmitter. We should be up in about a week or so with a new full power signal. You should start seeing test patterns if you are up late in the evening. If you go to the FCC web site, it will show you the coordinates for the new site so you can re-configure you antennas, but honestly, the signal should be strong enough for you to pick it up even if you have a yagi pointed the opposite direction."

According to the FCC documentation, this should be a very significant upgrade:
The tower that was being used is 67 meters and was authorized to broadcast at 1 kW. The new tower is permitted to 359 meters and to broadcast at 800 kW.

Although I have been getting 15.1 ok, the signal has been pretty weak and it required me to point a dedicated antenna directly at their temporary site. Based on the new location and power, I expect that most people in Lafayette will be able to get 15.1 without much effort. The direction from Lafayette is not very different than the tower for 10.1 and the PBS channels.

The FCC filings also indicate that Channel 3.1 (ABC) has plans to move their transmitter to the same area. It looks like it may be the same tower as 10.1. Does anyone have any information on when that will be done?

Once this is done, I expect that most people will be able to get CBS, ABC, FOX and PBS with a fairly small attic antenna.

Hi, I've always received KADN very strong, But I'm less than 8 miles from thier temp site. As far as KATC sharing the tower with KLFY I believe that deal fell apart, but with the 7/1 deadline looming anythings possible... I'm also waiting on KALB Alexandria to boost power this year.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #547 of 9970 Old 06-14-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv6 View Post

Tell me what time of day you normally see this problem, and are willing to sit there and watch it happen.

I will have master control put black on 6.2 (before the local commercial break) so you can see if it has the same problem. I will also have them watch our picture on 6.1 and find out if they see the same thing as you.

Richard

During the day, I mainly only watch (and therefor only notice the problem then) during the Bold & the Beautiful, 12:30 - 1:00. Let me know when you're going to make 6.2 black during that time and I'll make sure to watch it.
post #548 of 9970 Old 06-14-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent news on KADN. I'm sure a CM4228 with an amp should be able to pick KADN from the LKC area.
post #549 of 9970 Old 06-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

KADN DTV seems to be operating at full power now. Receiving at 95% signal strength.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #550 of 9970 Old 06-15-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

KADN DTV seems to be operating at full power now. Receiving at 95% signal strength.

I got the following email from one of the KADN folks
"The new full power transmitter and antenna are in the burn in process right now and the HD signal is up to full specifications. The signal will still be up and down a bit over the next week or so as final adjustments are made, but I though I would find out what you think about the signal and picture quality of the new gear."
I told him that it went from my weakest to my strongest HD signal. A great improvement. It might be helpful if anyone in Lake Charles would post their findings?
post #551 of 9970 Old 06-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Never mind.......

I had a viewer call me and mention the video changes were happening at that time, so I went to the lobby and checked.

Rat Feathers! I saw it myself today during Dr. Phil. It looks like a DC level shift (one more useless technical term for your collection). Neither master control nor our receptionist could see it happen on the analog feed.

And yes, it seems to have something to do with the commercial breaks. This is really interesting since Dr. Phil and the commercials are played from the same device (a computer video player).

This will take some thought.................

Richard
post #552 of 9970 Old 06-16-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv6 View Post

[...]
And yes, it seems to have something to do with the commercial breaks. This is really interesting since Dr. Phil and the commercials are played from the same device (a computer video player).

This will take some thought.................

Richard

Now I'm not so sure it has to do with commercials. Today it was flickering back and forth during the show itself, and didn't switch at all at commercial breaks. I almost thought someone was fiddling with a setting somewhere trying to fix it. But based on your reaction, I guess not.

Hope you get it figured out! I've never noticed it during the primetime HD broadcasts, just during the daytime SD stuff.
post #553 of 9970 Old 06-16-2006, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK I'm a newbie here so here's my problem. I'm located 15 miles from the KADN(Fox affiliate in Lafayette) tower and yet I get NO signal at all using a satellite dish clip-on antenna. I understand thats not the best antenna, buts its what my wife will allow. I get a strong signal from KLFY(CBS 14 miles away). I even get WVLA in Baton Rouge(about 38 miles away). Is KADN just a low powered station? And is there any way of finding out what these stations powers actually are? Any info at all would be much appreciated. Thanks.
post #554 of 9970 Old 06-16-2006, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oooops. Sorry toms111, didnt see you posts before I posted my own. Great information. Although as of now I still get no signal on 15.1. :rolleyes

What is meant by "temporary site?"
post #555 of 9970 Old 06-16-2006, 07:12 PM

The KADN temporary site was at their studio in Lafayette and was very low power. The new transmitter, as was explained to me, is going through a burn-in and test period and was probably down when you could not get it. I expect you will have no trouble once it is up and running.
post #556 of 9970 Old 06-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now I'm not so sure it has to do with commercials. Today it was flickering back and forth during the show itself, and didn't switch at all at commercial breaks. I almost thought someone was fiddling with a setting somewhere trying to fix it. But based on your reaction, I guess not.

Hope you get it figured out! I've never noticed it during the primetime HD broadcasts, just during the daytime SD stuff.

Although I didn't see it during the show, I will assume that it does happen then, since you say it does. Knowing that helps a lot.

If it never does it during HD feeds, then it can't be a CBS network problem. That also pretty much clears the digital encoder and digital transmitter from the list of suspects.

That means that the problem is probably somewhere in the analog chain. Except that it never happens to the analog picture.

Interesting......... very interesting..........

Richard
post #557 of 9970 Old 06-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

I get a email every day from Broadcasting and Cable Magazine.
I found out in todays issue that Beaumont has a new channel coming which is currently only available OTA analog and on cable. It is channel 22 and is currently a black urban station as per their web page.
For those of you that don't know, FOX network is starting a new network to compete with the new "CW" network owned by CBS and WB currently.
The new fox channel is going to be called the "MNT" network and will be held localy by KEBQ channel 22. Here is the press release below:

MNT Picks Up 10 More Stations

By Allison Romano -- Broadcasting & Cable, 6/15/2006 3:34:00 PM

Fox's My Network TV picked up 10 new affiliates Thursday to bring its total distribution to 85% of the country.

The newest affiliates include: KTFO Tulsa, Okla., owned by Clear Channel; WNFM Ft. Myers-Naples, Fla., a Comcast-owned outlet; KSCC Wichita, Kan., a Mercury Broadcasting Co. station; XHRIO/Harlingen-McAllen-Brownsville, Texas, owned by Entravision Communications; KKTV-DT Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colo., a Gray Television station; WYTV-DT Youngstown, Ohio, owned by Chelsey Broadcasting Co.; KEYT-DT Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-San Luis Obispo, Calif., owned by Smith Media License Holdings; KOTR Monterey-Salinas, Calif, owned by Mirage Media; KUVI Bakersfield, Ohio,owned by KUVI License Partnership; KEBQ Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas, owned by MBC 1.

The new stations bring MNT's clearance to 149 markets, including 26 of the top 30. The network launches Sept. 5, and executives have said they expect to reach 90% of the country by that date.
post #558 of 9970 Old 06-16-2006, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Let me know when the signal is up. I'm curious if I can pull it in from BR with my rig. If I can get from BR, I'm sure I can come up with a rig to get in LKC.
post #559 of 9970 Old 06-17-2006, 05:40 PM

any idea when CBS HD will be available in Lafayette area through COX cable?
post #560 of 9970 Old 06-17-2006, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan_9 View Post

any idea when CBS HD will be available in Lafayette area through COX cable?

What's wrong with getting it for free OTA without the middleman?
post #561 of 9970 Old 06-17-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:

What's wrong with getting it for free OTA without the middleman?

Well, nothing, except that there is no DVR capability. KLFY really needs to give in and get to the cable party. Watching programs live is not all that terribly conveinent when you're in college and living with a busy family.

Sad thing is, KLFY has the most beautiful HD signal of all the locals.
post #562 of 9970 Old 06-17-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post

I get a email every day from Broadcasting and Cable Magazine.
I found out in todays issue that Beaumont has a new channel coming which is currently only available OTA analog and on cable. It is channel 22 and is currently a black urban station as per their web page.
For those of you that don't know, FOX network is starting a new network to compete with the new "CW" network owned by CBS and WB currently.
The new fox channel is going to be called the "MNT" network and will be held localy by KEBQ channel 22. Here is the press release below:

MNT Picks Up 10 More Stations

By Allison Romano -- Broadcasting & Cable, 6/15/2006 3:34:00 PM

Fox's My Network TV picked up 10 new affiliates Thursday to bring its total distribution to 85% of the country.

The newest affiliates include: KTFO Tulsa, Okla., owned by Clear Channel; WNFM Ft. Myers-Naples, Fla., a Comcast-owned outlet; KSCC Wichita, Kan., a Mercury Broadcasting Co. station; XHRIO/Harlingen-McAllen-Brownsville, Texas, owned by Entravision Communications; KKTV-DT Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colo., a Gray Television station; WYTV-DT Youngstown, Ohio, owned by Chelsey Broadcasting Co.; KEYT-DT Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-San Luis Obispo, Calif., owned by Smith Media License Holdings; KOTR Monterey-Salinas, Calif, owned by Mirage Media; KUVI Bakersfield, Ohio,owned by KUVI License Partnership; KEBQ Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas, owned by MBC 1.

The new stations bring MNT's clearance to 149 markets, including 26 of the top 30. The network launches Sept. 5, and executives have said they expect to reach 90% of the country by that date.

Pretty cool.. Although a low-power station, KEBQ was originally supposed to be on Time Warner Cable Channel 99 in the Basic Channel area last year. However, Hurricane Rita apparently destroyed KEBQ's facilities and/or transmitter site. They must have rebuilt and coming back online soon. Since Rita, Time Warner Cable Channel 99 is nothing but 24/7 Paid Programming.. Waste of a TV Channel, as is the "I" (Formally PAX) channel. I'm sure that KEBQ and TW will have to reach an additional agreement since their original agreement was probably nullified due to Rita. KEBQ had the rights to the Astros games last year that weren't broadcast on FOX Sports, and we were able to watch those games on Channel 99. KEBQ Never did operate full-time on Time Warner - but was scheduled to do so in early October 2005 if I recall correctly.
post #563 of 9970 Old 06-18-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin.D View Post

Well, nothing, except that there is no DVR capability. KLFY really needs to give in and get to the cable party. Watching programs live is not all that terribly conveinent when you're in college and living with a busy family.

Sad thing is, KLFY has the most beautiful HD signal of all the locals.

Depends on what you are using to DVR with... All of the stuff I DVR is via OTA. I rip the commercials out before I watch the content too.

Only thing bad about them coming to the cable party is depending on the bandwidth Cox has, they might take their signal and compress it down to something that fits.
post #564 of 9970 Old 06-18-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Depends on what you are using to DVR with... All of the stuff I DVR is via OTA. I rip the commercials out before I watch the content too.

Only thing bad about them coming to the cable party is depending on the bandwidth Cox has, they might take their signal and compress it down to something that fits.

Perhaps, but I can't see any extra compression on KATC, KADN, or KLPB. (I can't say for KPLC as it is cable only for me)
post #565 of 9970 Old 06-18-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Well, aren't you just fancy!

But seriously, do you use a PC for your DVR?

Ben
post #566 of 9970 Old 06-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodin View Post

Pretty cool.. Although a low-power station, KEBQ was originally supposed to be on Time Warner Cable Channel 99 in the Basic Channel area last year. However, Hurricane Rita apparently destroyed KEBQ's facilities and/or transmitter site. They must have rebuilt and coming back online soon. Since Rita, Time Warner Cable Channel 99 is nothing but 24/7 Paid Programming.. Waste of a TV Channel, as is the "I" (Formally PAX) channel. I'm sure that KEBQ and TW will have to reach an additional agreement since their original agreement was probably nullified due to Rita. KEBQ had the rights to the Astros games last year that weren't broadcast on FOX Sports, and we were able to watch those games on Channel 99. KEBQ Never did operate full-time on Time Warner - but was scheduled to do so in early October 2005 if I recall correctly.

Thanks for all the information. I did not know all of that.
It would be cool if whoever owns them plans a digital broadcast some day.
post #567 of 9970 Old 06-19-2006, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, aren't you just fancy!

But seriously, do you use a PC for your DVR?

Ben

Yep... QAM tuner for Cox's in the clear HD cable channels, OTA tuner where most of my programming timers are set to record, and a KU/C-Band tuner card for in the clear SD and HD wild sports feeds. 10 foot cband and 36inch KU dishes in the back yard. Pretty cool to watch the live unscrambled LSU games even though the game isn't televised. I was playing around the CBand the other night and found an ABC 720p demo that was running at 40Mbps, won't find that OTA

The sickness all started with winning a door prize for the 55inch TV a year ago
post #568 of 9970 Old 06-20-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Perhaps, but I can't see any extra compression on KATC, KADN, or KLPB. (I can't say for KPLC as it is cable only for me)

There is an OTA DVR for sale. It is a Sony DHG-HDD250. I found a clearance open box item at Best Buy in Lafayette for $249. Best investment I have ever made. It also has a cable tuner, which allows me to pick up the unscrambled digital channels (i.e. local networks and music channels) with only basic cable.
post #569 of 9970 Old 06-20-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST RICH View Post

There is an OTA DVR for sale. It is a Sony DHG-HDD250. I found a clearance open box item at Best Buy in Lafayette for $249. Best investment I have ever made. It also has a cable tuner, which allows me to pick up the unscrambled digital channels (i.e. local networks and music channels) with only basic cable.

Wow! Somehing to think about.....

Ben
post #570 of 9970 Old 06-20-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST RICH View Post

A couple of questions: Does it record in HD? Are you saying that if you hook it to Cox basic cable in Lafayette, You can receive the HD local stations that Cox offers? If I understand it Cox now has NBC from Lake Charles, and ABC, Fox and PBS from Lafayette. And it has an OTA tuner? What size hard drive? I am guessing, based on the model number that it is 250 which should probably handle 30 hours.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page