2Likes

post #631 of 9989 Old 07-06-2006, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

I can't see the point for getting a waiver in Lafayette. You've got the best of both worlds there. So many HD channels in Lafayette. You've got all the BR market's ABC, NBC, and FOX there in HD along with a digital SD feed of the WB on Fox's 720p carrier. Plus you've got Lafayette's HD locals, NBC, FOX, ABC, CBS, PBS, etc.

We don't actually have an NBC affiliate in Lafayette. We are between KPLC in Lake Charles and 33 in BR. I can get 33 in BR fairly well with a dedicated antenna in my attic but it is not as solid as I would like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9989 Old 07-06-2006, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldmaga View Post

I am well aware that they are on VHF-8

I use my DirecTV H20 to scan for channels, because my TV's digital tuner just allows to see what I pick up, rather than scan and test signal strength.

I don't see what I could possibly be doing wrong, since my antenna has both rabbit ears and a UHF disc antenna thing.

I even double checked to see if I'm crazy...and right there on the box it says VHF/UHF HD antenna

What kind of antenna do you have and where is it located?
post #633 of 9989 Old 07-06-2006, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toms111la View Post

We don't actually have an NBC affiliate in Lafayette. We are between KPLC in Lake Charles and 33 in BR. I can get 33 in BR fairly well with a dedicated antenna in my attic but it is not as solid as I would like.

I'm well aware of the NBC being Northeast of LKC. You hit the nail right on the head.... "antenna in my attic". There goes almost half your signal right there.

The coverage area maps are designed around normal exterior aerial antennas. It's not the station's problem you decided to mount the antenna inside your home. If you have any issues with HOA's, landlords, etc. Google OTARD

I'm sure the guys in Beamount will trade a few affiliates with you
post #634 of 9989 Old 07-06-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

I'm well aware of the NBC being Northeast of LKC. You hit the nail right on the head.... "antenna in my attic". There goes almost half your signal right there.

The coverage area maps are designed around normal exterior aerial antennas. It's not the station's problem you decided to mount the antenna inside your home. If you have any issues with HOA's, landlords, etc. Google OTARD

I'm sure the guys in Beamount will trade a few affiliates with you

I'm not really complaining. My decision to use attic antennas is a personal one based on not wanting to take them down for hurricanes. I did have an outdoor one for a time aimed at KPLC's tower and only got about 95% reliability. I was actually in pretty good shape with several antennas aimed for specific stations using AB switches to select the proper one but when I upgraded to a TIVO unit, I obviously needed to come up with a way to get all my OTA signals on a single lead. My present setup has a 8-bay uhf antenna from antennas direct aimed at 33 and a radio shack uhf only antenna (yagi?) aimed toward the NW to get 10.1 and 15.1 and the PBS digitals. KATC comes in ok since I am not to far from their studio. I discontinued attempts to get the Lake Charles NBC because it seemed to cause unpredictable multipath problems on some of the other stations. For the last few weeks everything has been pretty good. As I said, I want to stay in the attic if I can but I am considering putting the 33.1 antenna outside if I have any future problems.
post #635 of 9989 Old 07-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

My antenna survived the hurricane just fine.
There is nothing for the wind to catch. Something would have to physically hit it to do much damage.
post #636 of 9989 Old 07-07-2006, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post

My antenna survived the hurricane just fine.
There is nothing for the wind to catch. Something would have to physically hit it to do much damage.

Thats rediculous. I can see you haven't experienced REAL hurricane force winds. I can assure you, if the winds are strong enough, damage can be done depending on the design of the antenna.
post #637 of 9989 Old 07-07-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:

I discontinued attempts to get the Lake Charles NBC because it seemed to cause unpredictable multipath problems on some of the other stations.

I have an attic antenna configuration and have also given up on KPLC. WVLA is very reliable compared to KPLC. I was having problems with the WVLA signal for several days, but now it is fine. KALB (NBC - Alexandria) will be broadcasting on Channel 35 at full power 1000 kW ERP by mid July. The tower is located in Forest Hill (25 miles south of Alexandria). You might be able to aim your bigger antenna towards the KLFY and KADN towers and pick up KALB. I am going to try it in about two weeks. I will let you know if I am successful.
post #638 of 9989 Old 07-07-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST RICH View Post

I have an attic antenna configuration and have also given up on KPLC. WVLA is very reliable compared to KPLC. I was having problems with the WVLA signal for several days, but now it is fine. KALB (NBC - Alexandria) will be broadcasting on Channel 35 at full power 1000 kW ERP by mid July. The tower is located in Forest Hill (25 miles south of Alexandria). You might be able to aim your bigger antenna towards the KLFY and KADN towers and pick up KALB. I am going to try it in about two weeks. I will let you know if I am successful.

It sounds like you and I have had simular experiences. It will be good if KALB can hit us ok. Thanks for the info.
post #639 of 9989 Old 07-10-2006, 05:59 PM

Richard,
The daytime broadcast is still having picture quality problems. There was quite a bit of "flickering" between normal and "too white" today, especially between 12:49 and 12:53. Just my friendly weekly reminder.
post #640 of 9989 Old 07-10-2006, 11:03 PM

Hopefully KADN will be up and running tomorrow for the All-Star game...every couple days I get 0% reception
post #641 of 9989 Old 07-11-2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Hopefully KADN will be up and running tomorrow for the All-Star game...every couple days I get 0% reception

Yep happens here too. They just need to get some bugs out.
post #642 of 9989 Old 07-12-2006, 12:10 PM

Not only was KADN working at 100%, but the quality was the best I've seen since I've purchased my HDTV...Two Thumbs up for FOX Sports and KADN

Now if CBS would broadcast anything in HD <_<<br />
And KATC get their Church Point transmitter up and running.
post #643 of 9989 Old 07-12-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Not only was KADN working at 100%, but the quality was the best I've seen since I've purchased my HDTV...Two Thumbs up for FOX Sports and KADN

I was able to get KADN HD prior to the upgrade, although the signal was very low power. In my opinion, any of the HD content from Fox is the best quality HD. The sports is very good and a few of the non-sports shows are very good. I like House, Bones and 24 in HD. All have exceptional HD quality. I don't typically watch reality shows but I did watch a few min of American Idol and the HD is also very good.

I have been out of town for the last few weeks and noticed last night that the Letterman show was not in HD. Has that been happening for a while? They have been pretty good for the last several months. I still haven't seen anyone who has a handle on KATC's upgrade???
post #644 of 9989 Old 07-12-2006, 04:59 PM

*My source, mailer from Cox.

Effective 8/15, the new HD lineup for Cox Acadiana subscribers will be as follows:

705 KATC HD
706 KADN HD
707 KPLC HD
712 KLPB HD
728 TNT HD
735 ESPN HD
750 Universal HD
772 MHD
780 INHD
781 INHD 2
790 HBO HD
791 Showtime HD
792 Starz

These changes are part of giant structural changes to trhe Cox Acadiana lineup, which will see a vast majority of all channel assignments being changed. For the first time in years, new broadcast stations are being added to the lineup. The analog signal of WVLA and KDCG will both be added to Basic cable.

VOD and all-digital delivery are coming soon, too.
post #645 of 9989 Old 07-12-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:

Maybe its just me, but I find more CBS HD than FOX HD programming at the moment.
post #646 of 9989 Old 07-12-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:

I was able to get KADN HD prior to the upgrade, although the signal was very low power. In my opinion, any of the HD content from Fox is the best quality HD. The sports is very good and a few of the non-sports shows are very good. I like House, Bones and 24 in HD. All have exceptional HD quality. I don't typically watch reality shows but I did watch a few min of American Idol and the HD is also very good.

I have been out of town for the last few weeks and noticed last night that the Letterman show was not in HD. Has that been happening for a while? They have been pretty good for the last several months. I still haven't seen anyone who has a handle on KATC's upgrade???

Didnt notice Letterman last nite, but I know its usually in HD along with the Tonight Show also in HD...Gorgeous picture on both! BTW PBS (ch 24.5)also has awesome HD.

I have a question for you Tom being your in Lafayette area. I came across a websight stating that KLFY broadcasts either its 5PM or 6PM news in HD. Yet I dont see it in HD. Is this fact or fiction?
post #647 of 9989 Old 07-12-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp11 View Post

Maybe its just me, but I find more CBS HD than FOX HD programming at the moment.

I agree that CBS has more HD than any of the other networks. Probably because they have less reality shows which tend not to be in HD with some exceptions. My coments about Fox relate to the quality of some of the Fox content. I assume that all of the networks will have more and more HD content in the future.
post #648 of 9989 Old 07-12-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp11 View Post

Didnt notice Letterman last nite, but I know its usually in HD along with the Tonight Show also in HD...Gorgeous picture on both! BTW PBS (ch 24.5)also has awesome HD.

I have a question for you Tom being your in Lafayette area. I came across a websight stating that KLFY broadcasts either its 5PM or 6PM news in HD. Yet I dont see it in HD. Is this fact or fiction?

I am not aware of KLFY news being in HD, at least insofar as that includes the wide aspect ratio typical of network HD broadcasts. I do remember sometime earlier this year noticing that the KLFY news from its digital feed did appear to have a greatly improved picture quality which may be in some sense, an HD broadcast but in the classic 4:3 aspect ratio. This may be what the web site was talking about. Also, the directory information from my satellite provider does not list the broadcast as HD.
post #649 of 9989 Old 07-13-2006, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

The last word I heard was that KBMT 12-1 would be broadcasting from their tower near Mauriceville by the end of July. They expected HD programming from ABC to be offered shortly after that. Is there an update? Today is July 13.
post #650 of 9989 Old 07-13-2006, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Well it isn't the end of July yet. Maybe another couple of weeks and we will find out. My guess is it will be late coming on line as always in this area.
post #651 of 9989 Old 07-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Well It looks like Channel 6 digital is off the air again. Richard where are you now? I just tried to tune in to the station and I normally get 100% strength on this channel and now it is gone. Did something happen?
post #652 of 9989 Old 07-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE D-CO5 View Post

Well It looks like Channel 6 digital is off the air again. Richard where are you now? I just tried to tune in to the station and I normally get 100% strength on this channel and now it is gone. Did something happen?

The tower crew is here working on my tower and antennas. We have to turn the transmitter off when they are working close to the antenna due to the fact that:
(1) It would not be nice to put all that RF power into their bodies. Anyone willing to climb a thousand foot tower deserves all the consideration he requests.
(2) It's the law. OSHA and the FCC require it.

This is the same tower crew that will hopefully fix my lack of reception in Bridge City. Please bear with us. At least the transmitter is not broken, it's just turned off.

Richard
post #653 of 9989 Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Richard , I see it is back on again.
post #654 of 9989 Old 07-14-2006, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well it isn't the end of July yet. Maybe another couple of weeks and we will find out. My guess is it will be late coming on line as always in this area.

I noted the date in my original post so I know it isn't the end of July. My guess also is that it will be late. ARCADE seemed to have developed a conversation with the Engineer at KBMT. Maybe he has something definitive.
post #655 of 9989 Old 07-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks Richard , I see it is back on again.

We will be lowering power from now on when we need to keep those guys safe. I told them that we would like to be back at full power by 5 PM, but that we HAVE to be back up by 6 PM.

Richard
post #656 of 9989 Old 07-14-2006, 02:57 PM

Anyone having any luck contacting KATC?

I can't seem to find anyone that knows the situations over there on their Church Point tower, and whether it'll be able to reach Eunice with excellent reception?
post #657 of 9989 Old 07-15-2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Anyone having any luck contacting KATC?

I can't seem to find anyone that knows the situations over there on their Church Point tower, and whether it'll be able to reach Eunice with excellent reception?

I promise you, when it happens you WILL have an excellent signal if it's anything like KADN.
post #658 of 9989 Old 07-15-2006, 08:22 AM

No doubt in my mind that I will have a great signal, it's just that on their FCC query page that the work order for this location has been granted for years now.

And College Football is just around the corner :P
post #659 of 9989 Old 07-15-2006, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
if yall are in eunice you should have no trouble getting katc like it is now. I am right down the road inbetween opelousas and lawtell and get around 70-80 signal with a cm4228 mounted outside.
post #660 of 9989 Old 07-15-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diat150 View Post

if yall are in eunice you should have no trouble getting katc like it is now. I am right down the road inbetween opelousas and lawtell and get around 70-80 signal with a cm4228 mounted outside.

With an antenna like that, I'm sure you do. But I'm using a clip-on dish antenna for my locals and KATC is just too far away.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page