post #9871 of 9989 Old 03-23-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE D-CO5 View Post

So what will that mean for the station? Will it continue to simulcast the same shows as the digital 43 station :12.3 Cozi and 12.4 Metv?

Actually, 12.1, 12.2, 12.3, and 12.4 all originate over KBMT channel 12. Yes, KBMT is broadcasting 3 HD channels along with 1 SD channel over KBMT (RF12). MyNETWORK TV and MUNDO FOX are the only two streams being broadcast over KUIL and its translator K36ID in Orange County. The contract on the FCC web site stated that the affiliation would end with KBMT. With that being said, I do not expect the programming to change... HOWEVER, that is pure speculaton on my part... I am hoping that possibly more programming might be added to KUIL (and of course channel 36 as well). I am also hoping, that the virtual channel 12.5 and 12.6 will be dropped as well! That messes with A LOT of TV tuners... This will be interesting to watch as it unfolds. I believe that Bluebonnet can apply for one more Construction Permit extention before they have to be built out. The current extention goes through August of this year if I remember correctly. At that point, they can ask once more for 6 more months.
MIKE D-CO5 likes this.

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9872 of 9989 Old 03-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't pickup Mytx or Mundo fox without break ups on my hopper. I can pickup both 36.1 and 43.1 versions on my tv with 36.1 being the weaker signal. DISH doesn't do ota guide information for Mytx or Mundo Fox no matter which channel it is shown on .
post #9873 of 9989 Old 03-24-2014, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a CM DVR+ out at the cabin west of Beaunont off of 105, and it uses the ROVI guide system off of the internet, so that is what I use for recording of MyTex. At home, if I just want to know what's on to watch, I go to tvguide.com
MIKE D-CO5 likes this.

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #9874 of 9989 Old 03-24-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well for those who like to listen to 97.1 Country Legends, prepare to write the FCC and complain...(only if this really goes through...a complaint has already been filed)

E-String Wireless was originally granted a translator to carry KSBJ....on 97.1!!!! The Country Legends listeners will go nuts if that is ever put on the air. However, E-String lied in their application. They claimed the tower site is at 27 Sawyer Street. That location was the old studios for KLVI until Clear Channel moved all their stations to the I-10 studios. That 250+ foot tower (which had the NOAA NWS WX radio on it even after KVI had moved out) fell during Hurricane Rita when Ralph McBride used the studios for KOLE and 1380 KRCM and had a STL shot from the Beaumont studios to the 1340 transmitter site in Port Arthur. It has never been rebuilt.

Now in Jan, they applied to move relocate the translator on the KZZB AM tower at 30 watts and rebroadcast it (the former 95.1 antenna is likely still on the tower). KZZB does not need a translator, especially if the ground system was fixed and it radiated like it should! Both locations are just outside the predicted 60dbU or 1mV coverage of 97.1 but we know how well predictions and real life can be....IF the translator is put on the air, complaints to the FCC can force it off...due to a clause in Part 74 rules.

I hate translators when they aren't needed...and the FCC has really screwed up the FM band with them and LPFMs.
post #9875 of 9989 Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTTV View Post

Well for those who like to listen to 97.1 Country Legends, prepare to write the FCC and complain...(only if this really goes through...a complaint has already been filed)

E-String Wireless was originally granted a translator to carry KSBJ....on 97.1!!!! The Country Legends listeners will go nuts if that is ever put on the air. However, E-String lied in their application. They claimed the tower site is at 27 Sawyer Street. That location was the old studios for KLVI until Clear Channel moved all their stations to the I-10 studios. That 250+ foot tower (which had the NOAA NWS WX radio on it even after KVI had moved out) fell during Hurricane Rita when Ralph McBride used the studios for KOLE and 1380 KRCM and had a STL shot from the Beaumont studios to the 1340 transmitter site in Port Arthur. It has never been rebuilt.

Now in Jan, they applied to move relocate the translator on the KZZB AM tower at 30 watts and rebroadcast it (the former 95.1 antenna is likely still on the tower). KZZB does not need a translator, especially if the ground system was fixed and it radiated like it should! Both locations are just outside the predicted 60dbU or 1mV coverage of 97.1 but we know how well predictions and real life can be....IF the translator is put on the air, complaints to the FCC can force it off...due to a clause in Part 74 rules.

I hate translators when they aren't needed...and the FCC has really screwed up the FM band with them and LPFMs.

Great post. LPFM is stupid.
post #9876 of 9989 Old 03-25-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Cell phones and many other devices don't have AM receivers in them anymore, but do have FM receivers. Others do have AM tuners, but people don't even bother tuning to the AM band anymore. That's what the translator is for. Doesn't matter how awesome the ground system is if your audience can't tune it in.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9877 of 9989 Old 03-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Also found this tidbit on the net after a fellow engineer in LFK emailed me (Richard, guess your replacement didn't stay long) :

Director of Engineering
JOB CODE: BEA01035

The qualified candidate will coordinate or maintenance computer and broadcast equipment of television broadcasting stations by performing the following duties: (yada yada, yada).......

I did not write this job description; I would have used the word "maintain", not "maintenance" in the above sentence.

I have no idea what happened; I just know that they replaced my replacement. smile.gif
post #9878 of 9989 Old 03-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

BTW, I have been missing for quite some time, so I just now read the last 4 pages of posts.

I have met my replacements' replacement (Don Dodge is his name, I believe). My memory was never all that good, but I have managed to make it even worse after I retired (on purpose?).

I will have to assume that the lip sync issue has been fixed as I have watched a few programs on all the Sinclair channels and saw no obvious lip sync problems. Audio levels and audio quality issues on 4.2 yes; lip sync, no.

KFDM has installed a new "all HD" master control system since I left, and I suppose that lip sync may have been a "growing pain" of the new system until it settled down.

I didn't know that 6.2 is 720P. I am not their target audience so that may explain the fact that I almost never watch the CW. I know that Sinclair has a single supplier of digital encoders, that can "do" statistical multiplexing (mine could not).

I will be visiting here more often now.

Take care

R
post #9879 of 9989 Old 03-31-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Richard!.....Sinclair bought SFX and that included Dielectric as well (a LOT OF FM station were scared there would be no support or no more CBR antennas!!)..

However, as of today, Sinclair and others running "duopolies" may have a raised eye brow on this from the FCC: http://www.radioworld.com/article/fcc-acts-on-television-jsas/269680

So much for one sales group selling for both stations......

Only time I watch 6.2 is for KingofTheHill at 5pm wink.gif (and my initials of my first and middle name is CW...if they called it the Columbia Warner Bros channel, I could claim it as my channel.....but wouldn't)

Any other info on Don?? I take it he came from outside the market?? Your replacement (Jim) seemed active in SBE but then poof, he disappeared....someone told me there were political issues and control issues....but I have no confirmation on that).....I had heard JIm had spent a lot of time in his most recent years in radio......guess he may have moved back to that....noone knows.....

Glad you are enjoying your retirement! Good to hear from ya...

CW
post #9880 of 9989 Old 03-31-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Trip, IIRC, doesnt a FM translator for an AM need a waiver requested by the AM?? In this case, the FM signal is not owned by the AM....and wont cover but maybe 10 blocks...until KTHT overruns it from its 2000 ft tower to the west....Its a stupid move and I know a LOT of listeners who will be complaining if this thing does sign on the air....may take a while but this 97.1 signal will eventually go off the air...
post #9881 of 9989 Old 04-01-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Trip, IIRC, doesnt a FM translator for an AM need a waiver requested by the AM?? In this case, the FM signal is not owned by the AM....and wont cover but maybe 10 blocks...until KTHT overruns it from its 2000 ft tower to the west....Its a stupid move and I know a LOT of listeners who will be complaining if this thing does sign on the air....may take a while but this 97.1 signal will eventually go off the air...

To your first point, permission is required, but I don't think that has to be publicly filed anywhere, at least not to my knowledge. I somehow doubt they would be filing to move the station to the KZZB tower without an agreement with KZZB.

As to the rest of your post, they may very well be banking on that. If there is a more open frequency that they want, they can light it up, get a multitude of complaints, and then go to the FCC and say "according to the rules it works, but since we're required to protect all listeners of the full-service KTHT, we can't operate here. Please let us go to new frequency X." It gets them a grant by operating on a frequency that nobody else would want because it otherwise won't work, but fits within the rules.

That's just a guess, though.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9882 of 9989 Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

There has been a change in programming on KAOB, (RF 27)... 27.5 is now the PBJ network which is aimed at kids, and 27.6 is now the TUFF network which is aimed at males. Both are LUKEN networks...

post #9883 of 9989 Old 04-08-2014, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
27.1 is Heartland which airs old Nashville Network programming and current country music videos
post #9884 of 9989 Old 04-13-2014, 04:26 PM

Hello Anyone, Everyone!,

I live in the heart of Sulphur LA and had been enjoying antenna TV for the last couple of weeks, until I added my wife's TV using an old splitter I had,,Three channels!!?? . I thought it was the splitter, so I got a new one, I'm down to three channels,,still??

Let me tell you what I got, I have smart Tv's ,2 off them, A Terk digital flat outdoor antenna , mounted on the pole my satellite dish used to be mounted on the back of my house,,,,,,,there is approximately 30 feet of cable after two way splitter going to each tv, the Terk antenna came with an inline amp, a small one ,thats it, One night when it was just one tv I scanned in over 50 channels, never happened again,always had about 18,,,,,,,,now only three,,,any idea what my problem is,,some one said I need a Channelmaster 4228,,,I thought I would ask around before spending any more money. thanks..

The Bearing Man  

post #9885 of 9989 Old 04-14-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearingman View Post

Hello Anyone, Everyone!,
I live in the heart of Sulphur LA and had been enjoying antenna TV for the last couple of weeks, until I added my wife's TV using an old splitter I had,,Three channels!!?? . I thought it was the splitter, so I got a new one, I'm down to three channels,,still??
Let me tell you what I got, I have smart Tv's ,2 off them, A Terk digital flat outdoor antenna , mounted on the pole my satellite dish used to be mounted on the back of my house,,,,,,,there is approximately 30 feet of cable after two way splitter going to each tv, the Terk antenna came with an inline amp, a small one ,thats it, One night when it was just one tv I scanned in over 50 channels, never happened again,always had about 18,,,,,,,,now only three,,,any idea what my problem is,,some one said I need a Channelmaster 4228,,,I thought I would ask around before spending any more money. thanks..

The Bearing Man  
Quote:

Hello Anyone, Everyone!,
Let me tell you what I got, I have smart Tv's ,2 off them, A Terk digital flat outdoor antenna , mounted on the pole my satellite dish used to be on the back of my house,,,,,,,there is approximately 30 feet of cable after two way splitter going to each tv, the Terk antenna came with an inline amp, a small one ,thats it, One night when it was just one tv I scanned in over 50 channels, never happened again,always had about 18,,,,,,,,now only three,,,any idea what my problem is,,some one said I need a Channelmaster 4228,,,I thought I would ask around before spending any more money. thanks..

The Bearing Man  

Hi Bearing Man and welcome!
First, I would like to know where the power supply is in telation to where you put the splitter. You cannot put the splitter "in front" of the power supply. In other words, there should be nothing between the power supply for the amp and the antenna. The splitter needs to go behind the power supply. More than likely, the splitter cannot pass power backwards through it to the antenna, or you may possibly be putting line voltage to your tv tuners. You should have: Antenna, coax, power supply, coax, splitter, coax to both TVs...

The time you got the 50 channels was probably during a ducting event which are common here along the Gulf Coast. When the atmospherr is just right, it will allow broadcast signals to travel sometimes hundreds of miles. There are people that follow ducting events just to try to catch distant signals as a hobby.

If you str indeed not getting line voltage up to the amp, you eill hwt NO SIGNAL, just as when the power goes out.

I hope this helps, and if you have more questions, please feel free to post. BTW, of your 18 normal channels, what do you get?

post #9886 of 9989 Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 PM

thanks for responding,,from the antenna I HAD a short cable to the splitter then two cables to the tv's,,,,,,,,,one tv had an in line amplifier that came with the Terk antenna,,boths tv's would only get three channels ..I took that all off went back to one tv with one cable straight from antenna to TV ,the channels I just scanned in @ 9:30pm are 4-1,4-1,6-1,6-2,7-1,7-2,7-3,12-1,12-2,12-3,12-4,14-1,18-1,18-2,18-3,29-1,29-2,34-1,34-2,34-3,34-4,34-5,,,,,,,,,,,,,this is really the first time I have caught KPLC-TV 7-1 in Lake Charles and I live in Sulphur,LA!!...

I paid $99 for this TERK and feel like I should get reception like I am getting tonight or better?? What do you think?  I would love to get this or more on both tv's..my antenna is mounted on the south side of my house.

I am considering returning the TERK for another antenna but I needed someones opinion. 

I am looking at the HD Stacker on Denny's Antenna web site,,,it looks like it has great reviews, one person shows it set up in the backyard not even mounted on his home and he was getting great reception..

if I bought this thing do you have any knowledge of where would be the best place to mount it? How high? or does that even matter because I have heard about people mounting them in their attics,

I would love to get as many channels as I can,,this could be a fun project,,,,,,,,,,,,

Please let me know your thoughts

thank you!

post #9887 of 9989 Old 04-15-2014, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for responding,,from the antenna I HAD a short cable to the splitter then two cables to the tv's,,,,,,,,,one tv had an in line amplifier that came with the Terk antenna,,boths tv's would only get three channels ..I took that all off went back to one tv with one cable straight from antenna to TV ,the channels I just scanned in @ 9:30pm are 4-1,4-1,6-1,6-2,7-1,7-2,7-3,12-1,12-2,12-3,12-4,14-1,18-1,18-2,18-3,29-1,29-2,34-1,34-2,34-3,34-4,34-5,,,,,,,,,,,,,this is really the first time I have caught KPLC-TV 7-1 in Lake Charles and I live in Sulphur,LA!!...
I paid $99 for this TERK and feel like I should get reception like I am getting tonight or better?? What do you think?  I would love to get this or more on both tv's..my antenna is mounted on the south side of my house.
I am considering returning the TERK for another antenna but I needed someones opinion. 
I am looking at the HD Stacker on Denny's Antenna web site,,,it looks like it has great reviews, one person shows it set up in the backyard not even mounted on his home and he was getting great reception..
if I bought this thing do you have any knowledge of where would be the best place to mount it? How high? or does that even matter because I have heard about people mounting them in their attics,
I would love to get as many channels as I can,,this could be a fun project,,,,,,,,,,,,

thank you!

You probably should send it back. If you truly are trying to get all the channels you can, then I would suggest the Winegard 8200HU coupled to a low noise Channel Master 7777 preamp and use a rotor to turn your antenna. I would suggest a Channel Master rotor as well. I have had good luck with them. I use solidsignal.com ss my source for antennas and other hardware. I must tell you that the 8200HU is a big ol' long antenna,but it has teally good gain numbers...

I am not a big fan of Terk antennas, and their amps are noisy, injecting more noise than signal into the tuner. Generally speaking mounting the antenna higher is better than lower. Outside is better than in the attic. There is a considerable amount of signal loss going through the walls of a house if placed in the attic. You also don't want a tree wall close to where you mount the amtenna. Not only can this block signals, it can teflect them causing multipath issues.

The reports you see of antennas receiving signals on the ground, you have no idea how far they are from the tramsmitters. My best friend had a garage sale awhile back, and I set up an antenna on her low boy trailer using a tripod snd a 5 foot mast, and was able to catch low power KUMY analog channel 22. We sold two old analog console TVs that way, but she was only about 3 miles from the transmitter...

Go to tvfool.com and create a report for your address and ot will show what channels you should get. There is a way to put that report in a post and ot would be interesting to see. If you post it, it will not show your sddress...

post #9888 of 9989 Old 04-15-2014, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
You cannot use a 7777 when stations are right in your back yard. Getting a behemoth like the 8200 is insane when you don't need it.. There is no evidence that either is required. The flat, amplifed Terk antennas are really lousy performers. Send it back.

Online antenna reviews, in the majority of instances, are worth exactly what you paid for them.... nothing.

Let's see the TVFool plot along with a realistic expectation of what you actually need to receive.
post #9889 of 9989 Old 04-15-2014, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

You cannot use a 7777 when stations are right in your back yard. Getting a behemoth like the 8200 is insane when you don't need it.. There is no evidence that either is required. The flat, amplifed Terk antennas are really lousy performers. Send it back.

Online antenna reviews, in the majority of instances, are worth exactly what you paid for them.... nothing.

Let's see the TVFool plot along with a realistic expectation of what you actually need to receive.

I already have a friend, living in the same area with an 8200 HU who gets stations consistantly from Beaumont to Lafayette. I, myself have the equivalant CM 3671antenna that they don't make anymore. I get KPLC, RF 7 from 63.3 miles away. So, yes, I recommend both the antenna and the preamp for someone trying to get all the channels the can from 3 different markets... My friend's antenna is 30 feet up. He lives in Carlyss.

post #9890 of 9989 Old 04-17-2014, 06:01 PM

what would you use to get Beaumont and Lafayette?

post #9891 of 9989 Old 04-17-2014, 06:02 PM

thank you!

post #9892 of 9989 Old 04-17-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

Great post. LPFM is stupid.

LPFM and translators are two different types of stations....Under FCC rules, a translator is a Class D...a LP is either L1 (100w ERP) or L2 (10w ERP and none issued....so far).

Translators were good ideas in areas out west where needed...but in crowded metro areas, they add to the noise floor and really do nothing but clutter the band...especially since they have little or NO local programming (really are allowed 30 secs per hour for a spot, etc insertion)...
post #9893 of 9989 Old 04-18-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

I used a CM7777 on a RS VX90 V/U antenna and it worked quite well...pointed at Houston from Port Acres, it got most of the Houston DTVs most of the time...and the locals were also viewable with the antenna turned away from them so it did not overload...64 digital channels were a good thing...

Terk, IMProO, are pieces of junk....I have yet to see a Terk work as advertised.....and would NEVER recommend one...never have in my 40 yrs of being in broadcast engineering...there are better ways....

Me, I like to go for the max so I can watch DX, LPs,etc when the band is open.....YET give me good local performance..sometimes the older antennas like the 2-69 models work ok.....they are well known in performance and none of these newer designs can improve on RF 101 theory.
post #9894 of 9989 Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thank you!

Remember not all TV transmitter sites are at the same location.....VHF HI band has its own issues but KPLC (and 18.x) is near Fenton NE of LCH...where as 29 is north of Vinton....for a viewer in Lake Charles, that is 90 deg difference!!!

With such a situation (and KATC/KLFY down the road in Rayne), two antennas, one pointed ENE and one pointed WNW or so would be best but then there is the issue of cochannel reception problems......A rotor and a good antenna is best but few people want to be bothered by rotors, etc
post #9895 of 9989 Old 04-18-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

HAS ANYONE else noticed the EPG on the local stations is STILL on CT and NOT CST?? Either the boxes are Linux or Windows with the time update turned off.....either way, you would think SOMEONE would fix it!!!! All this digital stuff works if programmed right...but ONE bit or byte out of whack and OOOPS!!! Shame that the quality of details over a decade or more ago are no longer adhered to....
post #9896 of 9989 Old 04-20-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The tropo is hot tonight across Texas...with a simple inside antenna, I am seeing DTV RF50 signal 130 miles airline away near Aggieland (KBTX 3.1)...most of the Houston UHFs are booming in...but no Vs....if I had my old antenna set up, I shudder to think how wild it is!! (when you see digital noise on 22 that is slightly noisy already, you KNOW the band conditions are good!) Nothing from the east out of Cajunland....and over time, 39.1 faded but 2.1 on RF 35 is still coming in..
post #9897 of 9989 Old 05-06-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

KFDM was off the air for a short bit this afternoon......actual carrier drop......hope the IOT didn't go south!!
post #9898 of 9989 Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KFDM was off the air for a short bit this afternoon......actual carrier drop......hope the IOT didn't go south!!

Well they are back on now. I am watching CBS Evening News OTA. I haven't noticed it so much over the last week or so, but they were having pretty severe signal breakups for a week or so before this week. I even had a friend of mine ask me about it then... Maybe they were tweaking a permament fix for whatever was going on...

post #9899 of 9989 Old 05-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

Well they are back on now. I am watching CBS Evening News OTA. I haven't noticed it so much over the last week or so, but they were having pretty severe signal breakups for a week or so before this week. I even had a friend of mine ask me about it then... Maybe they were tweaking a permament fix for whatever was going on...

Check your signal strength. If the IOT died, they will have changed to the solid state (lower power) transmitter.

The IOT was close to the predicted end of life when I retired; maybe it finally bit the dust.

R
post #9900 of 9989 Old 05-08-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I will check it tonight...

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page