Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #9901 of 10000 Old 05-09-2014, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So Richard, the IOT was not a new xmtr but a used one from another market? Otherwise, that IOT should have had more than this for its lifetime.....I take it the SS Harris is finally set as a backup on 25 as you were mentioning at the tower last time we were there?? I cant read signal strength on my Haier...but using my Kenwood THF6 HT, it can tune to the pilots and note the signal level there...will check it when I get a chance.....so far, KFDM has not dropped off the air since that blip (which lasted 10 mins or so from what I can tell)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 10000 Old 05-10-2014, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTTV View Post

So Richard, the IOT was not a new xmtr but a used one from another market? Otherwise, that IOT should have had more than this for its lifetime.....I take it the SS Harris is finally set as a backup on 25 as you were mentioning at the tower last time we were there?? I cant read signal strength on my Haier...but using my Kenwood THF6 HT, it can tune to the pilots and note the signal level there...will check it when I get a chance.....so far, KFDM has not dropped off the air since that blip (which lasted 10 mins or so from what I can tell)

The IOT transmitter and its tube came from our (at the time) Freedom station WTVC in Tennessee. It was their UHF transmitter until they went back to channel 9 at the end of the Digital conversion. It was around five years old when we put it on line.

Sinclair started converting the SS transmitter before I retired. It puts out about half of what the IOT does. So the signal strength should decrease by 3 DB whenever it's on the air.

It could have been arcing in the IOT as it got "gassy". It can take a full 24 hours to complete the "de-gassing" procedure on an IOT according to the Harris maintenance manual (yes, I did read maintenance manuals way back then). Since the transmitter has to be off the air to perform this procedure, and we had no spare transmitter before I retired, I've never performed this procedure. I was lucky! smile.gif

That was the first IOT transmitter I've ever used. It would have cost three times as much to add enough power modules to the SS transmitter to achieve the power level we needed; and then, the monthly power bill would have been enormous!

You need to get one of those cheap digital converter boxes; at least they have an on-screen signal meter. smile.gif

R
BPTTV likes this.
post #9903 of 10000 Old 05-10-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Well here is a radio note for the area: KSET "Freedom 1300" dropped its "Freedom" format as of Friday....at 5PM, the show on the air signed off but kept streaming....big question is what happened at KSET? They were being LMA'ed and I suspect they either could not pay the monthly rent OR someone else has offered a better deal...either way, all the right wing (even more so than what on KLVI!) talk is off the air (bye bye Alex Jones...thank GOD)....however, someone forgot to turn off the transmitter...the carrier has been on dead since 5PM yesterday with no audio, ID, etc...(HMMM too bad we don't have a FCC office here anymore.....Barry Nadler would have been making out a NAL after the 1st hour! smile.gif ) Wonder what is next for poor 1300??
post #9904 of 10000 Old 05-12-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Well here is a radio note for the area: KSET "Freedom 1300" dropped its "Freedom" format as of Friday....at 5PM, the show on the air signed off but kept streaming....big question is what happened at KSET? They were being LMA'ed and I suspect they either could not pay the monthly rent OR someone else has offered a better deal...either way, all the right wing (even more so than what on KLVI!) talk is off the air (bye bye Alex Jones...thank GOD)....however, someone forgot to turn off the transmitter...the carrier has been on dead since 5PM yesterday with no audio, ID, etc...(HMMM too bad we don't have a FCC office here anymore.....Barry Nadler would have been making out a NAL after the 1st hour! smile.gif ) Wonder what is next for poor 1300??
Quote:

Now may be your chance, Chris!

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #9905 of 10000 Old 05-12-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry about the double quote above... Not sure how that happened.

I discovered something interesting by accident this weekend... I have KIPS 6.1 (RF6) logged into the channel list on my Haier HDTV, but I have it blocked since they dropped This TV and it is of no interest to me. But I found out that if I punch 6.11 into the temote, it will tune to KIPS... Punch in 6.1 gets you KFDM, and 6.11 gets you KIPS. Not a big deal, but I did find it interesting... smile.gif

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #9906 of 10000 Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is the reception for KIPS?
post #9907 of 10000 Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesBros View Post

How is the reception for KIPS?

I cannot receive KIPS at my house. At the cabin on some land my best friend owns west of Beaumont but east of Bevil Oaks, it has a pretty good signal st around 80% signsl strength snd 100% signal quality which I can check on the LG above the bed...

post #9908 of 10000 Old 05-12-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So 6.11? I might try it when I get home
post #9909 of 10000 Old 05-12-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesBros View Post

So 6.11? I might try it when I get home

No, don't think that will work. I have it locked into my channel list, but have it checked off so my TV doesn't tune to it when I am using the channel up/down function, nor will it show ip when I enter 6.1 on the remote... BUT, since it is in my channel list, if I enter 6.11, it will yune yo KIPS. The PSIP for KIPS is 6.1, the same as KFDM... Clearer?

post #9910 of 10000 Old 05-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like London Broadcasting is selling Channel 12.1 Kbmt and 12.2 Kjac to Gannet broadcasting. Posted online today. Wonder what that will mean for 12.3 Cozi and 12.4 Metv? Will they still be owned by London Broadcasting?
post #9911 of 10000 Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I'm sort of assuming they're part of the package. London treats 12-1 through 12-6 as a single station, even though we know they're two stations with the same major channel numbers.

But we'll know for sure when it's eventually filed with the FCC. smile.gif

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9912 of 10000 Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE D-CO5 View Post

Looks like London Broadcasting is selling Channel 12.1 Kbmt and 12.2 Kjac to Gannet broadcasting. Posted online today. Wonder what that will mean for 12.3 Cozi and 12.4 Metv? Will they still be owned by London Broadcasting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I'm sort of assuming they're part of the package. London treats 12-1 through 12-6 as a single station, even though we know they're two stations with the same major channel numbers.

But we'll know for sure when it's eventually filed with the FCC. smile.gif

- Trip

KUIL/K36ID are not owned by LBG. They are owned ny Bluebonnet and wrre attached yo Lomdon via marketing agreement. With that neimg said however, there is an earlier post in which I stated that the KUIL duopoly was being personally bought by a London family member... So I would think the agreement will be split...

post #9913 of 10000 Old 05-14-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Terry London is the buyer of KUIL/K36ID...

post #9914 of 10000 Old 05-14-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

London Broadcasting, according to their web site has agreed to sell 6 television ststions to Gannet Broadcasting. According to the Beaumont Enterprise web site, those 6 stations are: KBMT, KCEN, KYTX, KIII, KXVA, and KIDY. There is no mention of KUIL/K36ID...

post #9915 of 10000 Old 05-14-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike, I misinterpreted your question earlier today... You, of course were refering to channels 12.3 and 12.4... All this time, I was thinking 12.5 and 12.6... (My mom used yo say it gets worse as you get older... tongue.gif ) So... in regards to Cozi and Me TV, I do hope that Gannet retains them. I hae not watched a lot of Cozi, but I have watched the heck out of MeTV!

I am certainly curious to see if Terry London makes any additions to KUIL/K36ID...

post #9916 of 10000 Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

Mike, I misinterpreted your question earlier today... You, of course were refering to channels 12.3 and 12.4... All this time, I was thinking 12.5 and 12.6... (My mom used yo say it gets worse as you get older... tongue.gif ) So... in regards to Cozi and Me TV, I do hope that Gannet retains them. I hae not watched a lot of Cozi, but I have watched the heck out of MeTV!

I am certainly curious to see if Terry London makes any additions to KUIL/K36ID...

Yes me too. I love METV and some of the shows on Cozi tv as well. I hope that the change over won't effect either station.
post #9917 of 10000 Old 05-18-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Gannett (yes they have two TTs at the end) bought all the Belo stations a while back and recently started laying off staff big time....I love how in their press release they said:

The addition of these stations will expand Gannett’s reach into some of the fastest-growing markets in the nation and furthers our successful transformation into a diversified multi-media company.

Since when is BPT a fast growing market?? It's been slowly slipping down since the 1990s......I remember when the radio market was 100 or slightly above..Oh wait, they said "some of the fastest........"...ok, Tyler, Waco/Temple-Bryan....yeah, I would believe that (KYTX, Tyler is where Jennifer Heathcock of KDFM went to but she left the station a couple of months ago....no word as to where she is now...other than a fitness coach at a gym)

BTW found out something about Jim Hobbs who was CE of KFDM/KBTV after Richard retired......Seems he is back in radio..took a job in Nebraska to be closer to family...at least that's what I was told...
post #9918 of 10000 Old 05-18-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE D-CO5 View Post

Yes me too. I love METV and some of the shows on Cozi tv as well. I hope that the change over won't effect either station.

I doubt it will....London, when they bought KTXD in Dallas, DROPPED MeTV there....a lot of people are POed now....I doubt Gannett will drop a network that brings them money....now people is another thing...
post #9919 of 10000 Old 05-18-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

From the Radiodiscussions.com TV thread:

"Xfinity Shutting Down QAM Service

I got my Xfinity bill in Monday's mail and to my surprise found an insert about Limited Basic Service being encrypted on May 28. After looking through the FAQ's on the www.comcast.com/digitaladapterinfo website, it turns out that QAM service will be turned off that day. The "Digital Migration" has finally come to Houston!

Apparently Xfinity has HD DTAs now available, but will check at my local Xfinity store soon on availability. According to the insert, the DTA fee will be waived for one year for most customers. Hopefully I can watch basic cable channels that I can watch on my SD DTAs such as USA, CNN, Discovery in HD with the new DTA, not only the broadcast stations. I was hoping QAM service would go on for much longer so I can avoid DTA fees when my tube TVs finally break and only pay the HD fee.

Supposedly they are doing this to stop cable theft, but some others cynically say that this is a way to extract more money from rental fees."

Look for Comcast to do the same thing in the BPT area once they buy out TWC,,,,,
post #9920 of 10000 Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

According to the application filed by Gannett to purchase KBMT, at the time of the purchase, Gannett will seek to purchase the 4 LPTV stations K27AJJ-D, KVHP-LD, KUIL-LD, and K36ID-D from either the London subsidiary owned by Terry London or Bluebonnet and continue the LMA affiliation.

So, I guess that answers that question...

post #9921 of 10000 Old 05-19-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The LMA is a Leased Management Agreement where a station is owned by the 1st party but LMAed and ran/programmed by a second party...they also get the profits from operating the station (ad revenue) but the owner (1st party) has to pay for all repairs at the transmitter and make sure it is legal (they get a monthly lease payment from the LMAer for the use of the transmitter)

If Gannett buys the LDs on 22, 36, 43 and 44, then there is no LMA....they can do whatever they wish with the signals....
post #9922 of 10000 Old 05-20-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
these purchases by Gannatt could actually boost TXCN finally! it would give them more market coverage finally to show on TXCN besides: Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio news smile.gif hmm this may have a part in it? I mean maybe Gannett wants a state wide news network and adding: Abilene, Waco, Corpus Christi, Tyler, Beaumont, and san angelo might help TXCN grow? now only missing: longview, el paso, wichita falls, amarillo, and lubbock.
post #9923 of 10000 Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The LMA is a Leased Management Agreement where a station is owned by the 1st party but LMAed and ran/programmed by a second party...they also get the profits from operating the station (ad revenue) but the owner (1st party) has to pay for all repairs at the transmitter and make sure it is legal (they get a monthly lease payment from the LMAer for the use of the transmitter)

If Gannett buys the LDs on 22, 36, 43 and 44, then there is no LMA....they can do whatever they wish with the signals....

Knowing what a LMA does, I didn't really think of it in the context of Gannett actually owning the stations. BUT, with all the turmoil going on with TV spectrum, and the uncertainty as to whether or not LPTV will still even exist after the spectrum auction (which I refer to as the spectrum wars), why would a company spend money for what may turn out to be worthless?

post #9924 of 10000 Old 05-20-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post

these purchases by Gannatt could actually boost TXCN finally! it would give them more market coverage finally to show on TXCN besides: Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio news smile.gif hmm this may have a part in it? I mean maybe Gannett wants a state wide news network and adding: Abilene, Waco, Corpus Christi, Tyler, Beaumont, and san angelo might help TXCN grow? now only missing: longview, el paso, wichita falls, amarillo, and lubbock.

As stated on the Dallas board, TXCN was a agreement between Belo and TWC.....It has been slowly dying (they got rid of all their news staff and have been only showing clips from WFAA and sister stations like KHOU, etc)...when the contract runs out, it will die..
post #9925 of 10000 Old 05-21-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Gershon has filed a minor modification application to increase the power of his proposed digital signal on KUMY, channel 22 from 1.99 KW to 15 KW. There is one problem with the app as it appears on the FCC web site though... It lists the location of thd broadcast tower at 3° north... I think he means 30°. I will email him later today to see if his app actually says that, or if it was a typo at the FCC end.

post #9926 of 10000 Old 05-23-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Gershon's minor mod app for KUMY channel 22 shows the KBTV tower as the proposed site for the new transmitter...

post #9927 of 10000 Old 05-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

Gershon's minor mod app for KUMY channel 22 shows the KBTV tower as the proposed site for the new transmitter...

I wonder if they bothered to ask Sinclair if they were OK with this location? And I wonder which tower they proposed to use since there are two of them out there. smile.gif

Probably not, since the FCC doesn't concern itself with minor factors like that.

R
BPTTV likes this.
post #9928 of 10000 Old 05-25-2014, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

It's the new 800ft tower....22's old application to upgrade to 138KW on analog 22 (which of course they are still analog!) was for KYKR's tower....CC never heard of them either....

Of course there is a 100KW 39 LP analog still licensed and is supposed to be on the Kinder Morgan Microwave tower in Cheek....nope...never been there....but they got a license....amazing isnt it?? (Like the LD-4 that moved from Woodville, to the former CC Devers 2000 ft tower, and now moving to downtown Houston.....never was on the air in Woodville or Devers...yet they filed for and got a license....too bad the lawyers don't confirm what they get told first....but as long as they get paid and swear its to the best of their knowledge, they are off the hook.....and almost noone ever catches it at the FCC....almost noone)

I DID send the FCC an email asking how the hell they licensed a LD on RF40 less than 2 miles from KBTVs site.....nothing has been done on that....Would be funny if they built out and turned it on just to get Sinclair to pay for them to move!!
post #9929 of 10000 Old 05-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

.................................... and almost noone ever catches it at the FCC....almost noone)

I DID send the FCC an email asking how the hell they licensed a LD on RF40 less than 2 miles from KBTVs site.....nothing has been done on that....Would be funny if they built out and turned it on just to get Sinclair to pay for them to move!!

Wouldn't the LD would have to shut down for causing interference to a "full service TV station"?

I bet Sinclair would make the LD move at its' own expense.

R
post #9930 of 10000 Old 05-26-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv6 View Post

Wouldn't the LD would have to shut down for causing interference to a "full service TV station"?

I bet Sinclair would make the LD move at its' own expense.

R

EHH I meant it as a sarcastic note....I find it so stupid the FCC would actually issue a LD CP on a channel where a Full Service TV is less than 2 miles away....what the hell are they drinking (or smoking) there? This is what happens when lawyers run the place and not real engineers or people with a technical background...(The Technology Office folks should have caught this too...but must have been a Friday when they were in a hurry to get out for a Monday holiday weekend!).....

Hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day off and remembering WHY you have the day off....remember those who served!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page