Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #9931 of 10000 Old 05-26-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It's been a while since I looked at the app, but when it was filed, I made mention that there were severe ommisions. I don't remember if in their interference report they stated that there was absolutely no mention of KBTV in the report or if the report stated that there was a massive distance between their proposed station and KBTV, like a couple of hundred kilometers... It was one of the two. If I get a chance, in a bit I will go look at it again...

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 10000 Old 05-28-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

KBMT just ran a legal announcement of thr pending sale of the station to KMOV, Inc. What I found interesting, was that KMOV is a subsidiary of BELO, which is a subsidiary of Gannett... So... after several years abscence, we will once again have a BELO presence back in our area... What goes around, comes around, I guess. tongue.gif

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #9933 of 10000 Old 05-28-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

It's been a while since I looked at the app, but when it was filed, I made mention that there were severe ommisions. I don't remember if in their interference report they stated that there was absolutely no mention of KBTV in the report or if the report stated that there was a massive distance between their proposed station and KBTV, like a couple of hundred kilometers... It was one of the two. If I get a chance, in a bit I will go look at it again...

The original app is not available on the FCC TV Query anymore which included the interference study. The original app included an error of the height of the proposed tower on which the antenna is supposed to be placed, so an ammendment was filed correcting the mistake, and now, only the ammended app is available to view, alas...

post #9934 of 10000 Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/prefill_and_display.pl?Application_id=1398090&Service=LD&Form_id=346&Facility_id=188068

There's the original, I think. It doesn't have any further attachments either.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9935 of 10000 Old 05-28-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Trip! I hope things are good for you! Yep, that's the original app. I can tell by the antenna height above ground error. And indeed the interference study is not included... Although it does mention in section III, Question 13 that it dowes comply with interference regulations and refers to "exhibit 13" which is not available via the app... I swear I saw it at one time, or I dreamt it...

Well, anyway, thanks gor going to the trouble to find the original app. Just sorry it was for nothing... I sure thought I looked at the interference study at one point, and it dure seems like I remember it saying that KBTV was domething like 243 KM distant or something go that effect...

post #9936 of 10000 Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, things are well!

I know the new TVStudy software that I work on has a mutual exclusivity check, where if you choose a station and then pull in others, it drops any co-channel stations within a certain distance (default is 30 km). Not sure if the old analysis software had something like that. If it did, I can see how a station might wind up on the same channel as a full-power.

Another possibility is that the interference check only goes from the new application to existing stations. If it's at nearly the same location and the power is 15 kW as opposed to 1000 kW for KBTV, then that's a difference of 18 dB, more than the 15 dB needed for reliable reception of a digital signal, and thus it may be that the KBMN-LD signal is actually predicted to cause no interference to KBTV, although it means KBMN-LD would reach 0 people.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9937 of 10000 Old 05-29-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Yes, things are well!

I know the new TVStudy software that I work on has a mutual exclusivity check, where if you choose a station and then pull in others, it drops any co-channel stations within a certain distance (default is 30 km). Not sure if the old analysis software had something like that. If it did, I can see how a station might wind up on the same channel as a full-power.

Another possibility is that the interference check only goes from the new application to existing stations. If it's at nearly the same location and the power is 15 kW as opposed to 1000 kW for KBTV, then that's a difference of 18 dB, more than the 15 dB needed for reliable reception of a digital signal, and thus it may be that the KBMN-LD signal is actually predicted to cause no interference to KBTV, although it means KBMN-LD would reach 0 people.

- Trip

So... what does that do to viewers who live close to KBMN in regards to reception of KBTV???

post #9938 of 10000 Old 05-29-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The prediction is that it would have no impact at all. Whether or not that would work out in the real world is another story entirely.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9939 of 10000 Old 05-29-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I cannot imagine living within 5 miles of the KBMN transmitter and being able to receive KBTV... And living where I do, I will be looking almost directly into both transmitters. mad.gif Good thing I can get KVHP for FOX programming!

post #9940 of 10000 Old 05-29-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you have direct line of sight, then the ratio will probably be basically 1000:15, which is about 18 dB, as noted. The signal quality would fall significantly but still be usable on KBTV (since 18 dB is greater than the 15 dB needed for a digital signal to decode), while KBMN would be completely impossible to decode.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9941 of 10000 Old 05-29-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

HHHhhhmmm, I almost hope they build out, as it would be interesting to see how it plays out in, as you say "the real world"... Thanks for all of your input Trip... I've learned a lot from you...

post #9942 of 10000 Old 05-30-2014, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know if the Mexican border stations shut down their analog signals as predicted? Was supposed to be aroung the 29th. Gonna miss those tropo catches. frown.gif
post #9943 of 10000 Old 05-30-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp11 View Post

Anyone know if the Mexican border stations shut down their analog signals as predicted? Was supposed to be aroung the 29th. Gonna miss those tropo catches. frown.gif

From what I have been able to find out is the switch-off has neen postponed until at least November, 26, except for Tiajuana, which is already all digital...

post #9944 of 10000 Old 06-01-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK thanks.
post #9945 of 10000 Old 06-05-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As of 7PM Thursday night KUMY is showing the ME-TV feed! 12-4 is still an affiliate and showing it as well. What's up with this?
post #9946 of 10000 Old 06-05-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesBros View Post

As of 7PM Thursday night KUMY is showing the ME-TV feed! 12-4 is still an affiliate and showing it as well. What's up with this?

Well now, that IS bizarre... I cannot imagine what KUMY is trying to do... Very strange.

post #9947 of 10000 Old 06-05-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I caught that as well....and have pics and video of 22 carrying MeTV.....I think someone has selected the wrong transponder off the bird...22 had gone to local spots and I thought maybe someone had finally caught it...but nope....

Of course, KUMY is supposed to be transmitting in digital (as per license) but they aren't.....they AREN'T licensed for analog so technically, they are illegal
post #9948 of 10000 Old 06-05-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

and since they are playing Happy Days right now, thought this would be a nice little diddy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SstfdbHJGYQ
post #9949 of 10000 Old 06-05-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

22 just did a LEGAL ID for the 1st time I have ever seen one!!! and then the MeTV screen popped up....its the feed for Arkansas!!
post #9950 of 10000 Old 06-05-2014, 07:06 PM

I'm suprised they dropped RTV (retro television) soo I'm assuming they will get fined for showing ME TV?
post #9951 of 10000 Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

They dropped Retro TV for "Soul of the South" a couple of months ago.......If MeTV finds out 22 is carrying their programming, they could have the FCC fine them...as well as sue....of course, the FCC would first fine and/or revoke 22's license since they claimed to the FCC to be digital now and no longer analog (in building a broadcast station, you have to apply for a construction permit or CP...this allows the station to be built and tested...once tests are done, they file for a 'license to cover' at which point the FCC issues the license that covers what the licensee said they were going to build and operate. To file for a License to Cover with NO build is perjury....big no no!)
post #9952 of 10000 Old 06-06-2014, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTTV View Post

They dropped Retro TV for "Soul of the South" a couple of months ago.......If MeTV finds out 22 is carrying their programming, they could have the FCC fine them...as well as sue....of course, the FCC would first fine and/or revoke 22's license since they claimed to the FCC to be digital now and no longer analog (in building a broadcast station, you have to apply for a construction permit or CP...this allows the station to be built and tested...once tests are done, they file for a 'license to cover' at which point the FCC issues the license that covers what the licensee said they were going to build and operate. To file for a License to Cover with NO build is perjury....big no no!)

I think several of us have known for a while that KUMY was not broadcasting a digital signal... With that being said, I have been cutting Gershon some slack because A) He indeed IS ON THE AIR, unlike some other "licensed" facilities we ould both name (BTW, K39HG failed to file a renewal) and B) up until recently was indeed carrying a worthwhile network (RTV) and C) he recently filed for 15 KW for KUMY, so I was hoping that he was finally getting his ducks in a row...

I am hoping this MeTV incident is just an oops, and nothing really bad comes from it. I am really rooting for the guy, BUT...

post #9953 of 10000 Old 06-06-2014, 06:45 AM

They are totally frozen as of 745 this morning the screen has one picture up with no activity. Maybe some changes being made?
post #9954 of 10000 Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesBros View Post

They are totally frozen as of 745 this morning the screen has one picture up with no activity. Maybe some changes being made?

I am at work in Lake Charles, so I cannot check it out... But I will when I get to the cabin this afternoon... Please keep us posted if anything changes during the day today. This is interesting...

post #9955 of 10000 Old 06-06-2014, 08:38 AM

They stream live on Justin.tv website or you can go to their website and there is a link to the live video
post #9956 of 10000 Old 06-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Had to wait for their "local commercials" to stop airing at random times but they are back with Soul of the South
post #9957 of 10000 Old 06-12-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

YEA! HOORAY! The license for K39HG, the never on the air, never built LP station has been deleted from the FCC database. Goodbye and good riddance.
BPTTV likes this.

post #9958 of 10000 Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw that in the Daily Digest.....mmm wonder why all of sudden it got deleted???
In fact a LOT of stations under the name "Turner Enterprises" got deleted....guess the FCC finally caught on to them.

HOWEVER, Channel 9 KEBQ-LP was also deleted.....OOOPS!!! though it is on the air...wonder what caused that to happen?

KUMY, though still on the air in analog, should not have filed a digital license to cover back in 2012...As much as it would be nice to see him actually do something with 22, claiming he is digital when his analog has serious issues is just wrong...I try to monitor the audio on a rcvr that can tune to the aural carrier...but it seems to have AM cross moding in the audio....and the video carrier is not clean either...Also the legal ID is not legal..

The license for KUMY-LP WAS Beaumont-Orange....yet they don't show the -LP and also throw Port Arthur between Beaumont and Orange...I heard they were looking for an engineer but noone local will deal with Gershon (he has stiffed a LOT of folks in the past)

Over in Houston, 5 and 25 (both were LPs licensed to Clear Lake) were licensed to a corporation owned by Roy Henderson (a name in the radio side that is not a good one ) A person of some church group claimed he worked a deal out with Henderson's lawyer to put the two stations back on....and proceeded to do so at the church using a 60 ft Rohn tower...claiming emergency operation since Henderson had filed with the FCC claiming that both 5 and 25's tower had been damaged by Ike (likely was never on the air and used the hurricane as an excuse)..Henderson DID have a CP for both stations to go flash cut to digital in the Mo City antenna farm...but anyone who took bets on that did not work in the Houston broadcast community Well NOW this church dude is posting all over RadioDiscussions, RadioInsight and other places (I bet he posted in the Houston board here as well!) that he wants to file suit against Henderson for breach of contract.....YET he had no signed LMA in force...he put the TV signals back on with NO authority, then tried to claim HE was the legal agent for the stations by filing FCC forms of address change and then a RENEWAL...well, that was a wasted effort..Henderson, in the meantime, turned in the licenses to be deleted..and they were as of yesterday....I told the church guy to contact Dowen who owns LP-21 in Houston (and 27 here)....and look at leasing a subchannel from him....

He had ALL the paperwork posted on his web page but as of yesterday or today, it's all been removed...big whoops!!!

Life in broadcasting......Oh and the Republicans think deregulation in 96 didnt go far enough....they want to take it further!!! Yeah, thats what we need.....less competition! There are subcommittee hearings scheduled soon....
post #9959 of 10000 Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else hate the new software on the AVS page??? I had just gotten used to the old "updated" version...then they updated again...and now its worse than ever to find your last posts, etc...have seen several other posts in other forums saying they have had it with AVS and the constant changes.....cant say I blame them...no announcement on the upgrade and no info on how to use it right......

Hey AVS, try thinking as a USER and not a Admin....maybe you'll get the idea!

post #9960 of 10000 Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone catch the ad on 27.2 for the mobile homes and land for sale in Mauriceville??

The seller (and person voicing the spot) is Rick Tallent, ex chief of KBTV (a short lived position for him; he was there after Charlie passed and was the one promising HD would be on in 2 months...and he was gone before that happened). Evidently he wants to sell it and move back to Tennesee (has been wanting to do that for 2 years)...

Also speaking of 27.2, ain't nothing funnier than watching a John Wayne movie on it and in the middle, the playback switches to French!!! (happened during "The Train Robbers" tonight)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page