post #9961 of 9989 Old 07-06-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTTV View Post
Anyone else hate the new software on the AVS page??? I had just gotten used to the old "updated" version...then they updated again...and now its worse than ever to find your last posts, etc...have seen several other posts in other forums saying they have had it with AVS and the constant changes.....cant say I blame them...no announcement on the upgrade and no info on how to use it right......

Hey AVS, try thinking as a USER and not a Admin....maybe you'll get the idea!

Yeah, I do... It has totally screwed up my Droid X and made it useless for posting on the forum. The "Active Topics" column, after a couple of minutes parks itself right over the comments section and I cannot move it... It sucks.

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9962 of 9989 Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, London Broadcasting is no more... I saw today in the Daily Digest that control had passed to KMOV (?). Just now, after the 5 PM news on KBMT, a new GANNETT graphic went up instead of the previous "London Broadcasting Company. Texas born. Texas proud. We are Texas".

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")

Last edited by OTAhead; 07-09-2014 at 04:31 PM.
post #9963 of 9989 Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post
Well, London Broadcasting is no more... I saw today in the Daily Digest that control had passed to KMOV (?). Just now, after the 5 PM news on KBMT, a new GANNETT graphic went up instead of the previous "London Broadcasting Company. Texas born. Texas proud. We are Texas".
KMOV was a Belo station in St Louis...Gannett had to spin it when it bought Belo..it set up the holding company KMOV, Inc...which it is using as the holder of the London assets. According to TV Technology magazine, Gannett now has access to 83% of the viewership in Texas...Phil Hurley, London Broadcasting Co., chief operating officer, will continue to lead the six stations. Hurley will report to Dave Lougee, president of Gannett Broadcasting. Non of the LDs that KBMT has been managing were included in the sale.
post #9964 of 9989 Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

The apps have been n filed to transfer control of all ther LDs that London was programming over to Gannett...

post #9965 of 9989 Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The apps have been n filed to transfer control of all ther LDs that London was programming over to Gannett...
I think London will only be left with the Dallas station and they POed a lot of viewers there when they removed MeTV from it...KTXA 21 (CBS O&O) picked up Me on a subchannel not long after.

IS anyone noticing a signal issue with KVHP tonight? TV cannot see it...so took a look at it with the HT...the signal is there BUT very low....had to open squelch to hear the pilot (normally it is as strong as 27 if not stronger on the talkie).
post #9966 of 9989 Old 07-11-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think London will only be left with the Dallas station and they POed a lot of viewers there when they removed MeTV from it...KTXA 21 (CBS O&O) picked up Me on a subchannel not long after.

IS anyone noticing a signal issue with KVHP tonight? TV cannot see it...so took a look at it with the HT...the signal is there BUT very low....had to open squelch to hear the pilot (normally it is as strong as 27 if not stronger on the talkie).
Well, someone must have pushed a button or something...KVHP is back to normal signal on the HT and TV.....time to catch SUV now..
post #9967 of 9989 Old 07-18-2014, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the programming swapped between KEBQ and KUMY. Soul of the south is on 9 and vise versa. No clue if it is suppose to be like that or wires crossed?
post #9968 of 9989 Old 07-19-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesBros View Post
Looks like the programming swapped between KEBQ and KUMY. Soul of the south is on 9 and vise versa. No clue if it is suppose to be like that or wires crossed?
If you have ever seen the "studio" for both (in a warehouse west of MLK and due west of the Century building where the transmitters are) , you would ask how they keep the wires from crossing??

22 has its antenna tweaked toward Vidor (regardless of what the FCC database says) to get the signal to the DirecTV uplink which is at KBTVs tower. 9s low power and 3db gain antenna is lucky to be seen outside of downtown. I need to double check to see what is happening to both licenses..saw a note on the deletion of KEBQ a while back (and not sure why that happened!)....KUMY is illegally operating analog (they filed and got a digital license in 2012..MMMM so much for that!)...and they even ID illegal...oh well.

Edit: Well sure enough....KEBQ-LP was deleted on 6/9/2014...but reinstated 6/11/14..time for some more digging to see what happened...of course with the repacking (Which the FCC came out with the plan a few weeks ago....everything above 36 looks to be going away...and they may even authorize 37's channel space for wireless!! after DECADES of noone being allowed there for TV due to radio astronomy), the LDs (and what analog LPs are left) will have NO protection..and could be forced off the air if a full power or Class A station (CD in digital) decides to want their channel or adj or move where contours overlap...we can forget the idea of RF 5 and 6 being used to expand the FM band as a number of stations may chose to go back to lowband...if they do, the FCC will likely increase ERPs there...a lot of stations that left hiband for UHF do not want to go back...but may be forced to...I have a bad feeling that eventually there will NOT be any FREE OTA TV to watch...

Last edited by BPTTV; 07-19-2014 at 06:09 PM.
post #9969 of 9989 Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 AM

Anyone know of a site that will show me what the antenna radiation pattern of a given TV station would be? Always assumed they were omni-directional, but I read somewhere, that that was not always the case. Example I suppose, would be a tx tower near a coastline or mountain range? Thanks.
post #9970 of 9989 Old 07-24-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp11 View Post
Anyone know of a site that will show me what the antenna radiation pattern of a given TV station would be? Always assumed they were omni-directional, but I read somewhere, that that was not always the case. Example I suppose, would be a tx tower near a coastline or mountain range? Thanks.
The FCC database will show the Relative Field polar plot of directional TV stations. Go search for the station you want in the TV Query, then find the Relative Field polar plot link and open that (if it does not show that link, the station is omni directional). It will show the antenna pattern of the station (N always at top of the pattern)..The service contour link is SUPPOSED to show the pattern as well but I have found several times that's not the case and it shows a omni circular pattern when it shouldn't
post #9971 of 9989 Old 07-29-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

O-KAY... KFDM just lost the CBS Evening News feed and had dead air on screen for a few seconds. I checkef the CW, and it was good. Flipped back to 6.1 and the KFDM channel 6 logo was in the lower right corner, then up popped a "KBTV, FOX 4 Will be back soon" still screen panel... Oops.

post #9972 of 9989 Old 07-29-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
O-KAY... KFDM just lost the CBS Evening News feed and had dead air on screen for a few seconds. I checkef the CW, and it was good. Flipped back to 6.1 and the KFDM channel 6 logo was in the lower right corner, then up popped a "KBTV, FOX 4 Will be back soon" still screen panel... Oops.
Duopolies......gotta love em!! (not really and they aint "the baby" either!!! ok, who catches that pun??)

Today, all the LDs KBMT is using got their licenses renewed.

And for those who have not noticed, tropo has been HI on the FM band the last week or so....tonight Lufkin's 105.1 is already booming into SETX....last night the computer sites were showing tropo from SE TX to the Panhandle!

aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us uses ham radio packet reporting on 144.39 MHz....when it shows deep red, you can bet the UHF band is open in that direction. Time for some DXing...

Enjoy
post #9973 of 9989 Old 07-29-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Sinclair gets ripped in its latest acquisition...

Sinclair finally won FCC approval for a buy in the Charleston/Birmingham's DMA but got several nasty words thrown at it from both sides....(for using Service Agreements getting around the ownership rules):

FCC commissioner Ajit Pai suggested Sinclair and the viewing public had to pay a high price for complying with the FCC's view of sharing agreements.

"Today, the FCC’s crackdown on joint sales agreements claims three more victims: two television stations in the Birmingham, Alabama market (WCFT and WJSU) and one television station in Charleston, South Carolina (WCIV)," he said. "This time, the hammer falls as part of the agency’s review of the Sinclair/Allbritton transaction. Under the parties’ original proposal and the rules that were in effect when the transaction was presented to the Commission, these three stations would have continued providing local service to their communities. But because of the Commission’s new rules, the Media Bureau’s order requires them to go dark within sixty days."

"Finally, the FCC has begun to address the schemes that Sinclair Broadcast Group and a few other group owners have used to evade the Commission’s TV ownership rules," said veteran public interest lawyer Andrew Schwartzman. "We don’t need more consolidation, and I certainly don’t relish the prospect of Sinclair’s cost-cutters taking over a network affiliate in Washington, D.C. However, the FCC took steps to stop Sinclair's blatant abuse of the ownership rules, and I hope this augers well for the future."
post #9974 of 9989 Old 08-09-2014, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I see construction (or rather destruction) at the KFDM studios has begun....the east wing of the building has been torn down...I understand eventually, there will be a two story wing on that side...(and perhaps around the front?)..

Also did anyone notice the black screens during the Cowboys preseason? Evidently there was cut away for local spots...but none ran...and the screen stayed black for 15 mins at one point before finally returning to the game after a network commercial ran. It was nice to see the game on 4.1 (a lot of people on Facebook was complaining it was blacked out on NFL Network on DirecTV and DISH!....well, it was on free OTA TV...hope they realized that)...

Saturday night's game of the Texans opener will be on KTRK and hopefully 12.5 as it usually has been in the past under preseason.

Also has ANYONE noticed a 97.1 signal in N Beaumont lately? A translator originally licensed for another station (and was supposed to be licensed on the fallen Sawyer St/former KLVI STL tower) is supposed to be on the air. A license to cover was filed with the commission...it is SUPPOSED to be carrying 990 KZZB (and on its 500 ft tower at 300ft) but KTHT out of Cleveland booms in and will likely cover up the weak signal...COX Radio, who owns KTHT is aware of the translator filing for license (which is supposed to mean its already built and undergoing on air testing) and even had a YouTube video made by one of their listeners to promote reporting any interference to COX asap.

And finally, MIK who has two LD Construction Permits in Port Arthur, (as well as MANY other areas!) has filed for an extension of their CPs (along with their other locations in the US)...They will likely get approved...for now....

Now back to watching Captain Horatio Hornblower....If the damn internet would quit resetting after 15 mins into it!! (OK, its time to DL the movie and watch it off the HD)
post #9975 of 9989 Old 08-09-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I thought Texans would end up on 12.5 but instead they preempted NBC for the game on 12.2....(Never watch much of the peacock on Sat anyway)...

EDIT: WTH??? I THOUGHT it was on 12.2....they ran a promo and said Cards Vs Texans Saturday night at 7:30 on your KJAC...YET it's on 12.1!!! HMMM Ok....so no ABC tonight.....I love how they are playing the promo after the game started!

And if anyone didnt know, one of KBMT's newer reporters is leaving for home (FL) after less than 2 years here....Guess anyone who can leave is leaving...(though Jennifer Heathcock who went to Tyler is no longer on the air at CBS19 there...she became a fitness coach full time)
OTAhead likes this.

Last edited by BPTTV; 08-09-2014 at 06:23 PM.
post #9976 of 9989 Old 08-13-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

If I were an advertiser on 27-2, I would ask for my money back....GAWD, the audio is HORRIBLE there....and the presentations look like a market 200.....

The "Vidor" channel with its horrible commercials and audio just adds to the old "hick" sigma that Vidor has suffered for decades.....no wonder the 18+ yr olds leave the area after college (or high school)....when the last of the Baby Boomers were going through HS and college (in the 70s and 80s), this area acted professionally on its TV and Radio stations......NOW???

No further comment...
post #9977 of 9989 Old 08-16-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Texans and Cowboys on TV tonight..

Texans on 12.2...looking and sounding good (and the team is winning...even owner Bob McNair said "we look like a football team!" lol)

Cowboys on 4.1...WTF??? Audio sounds worse than Skype! G.722 would be better than that! (and of course the Pokes are losing again.....Im gonna go play Tanki while watching the Texans!!)
post #9978 of 9989 Old 08-17-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, I see construction (or rather destruction) at the KFDM studios has begun....the east wing of the building has been torn down...I understand eventually, there will be a two story wing on that side...(and perhaps around the front?)..

Also did anyone notice the black screens during the Cowboys preseason? Evidently there was cut away for local spots...but none ran...and the screen stayed black for 15 mins at one point before finally returning to the game after a network commercial ran. It was nice to see the game on 4.1 (a lot of people on Facebook was complaining it was blacked out on NFL Network on DirecTV and DISH!....well, it was on free OTA TV...hope they realized that)...

Saturday night's game of the Texans opener will be on KTRK and hopefully 12.5 as it usually has been in the past under preseason.

Also has ANYONE noticed a 97.1 signal in N Beaumont lately? A translator originally licensed for another station (and was supposed to be licensed on the fallen Sawyer St/former KLVI STL tower) is supposed to be on the air. A license to cover was filed with the commission...it is SUPPOSED to be carrying 990 KZZB (and on its 500 ft tower at 300ft) but KTHT out of Cleveland booms in and will likely cover up the weak signal...COX Radio, who owns KTHT is aware of the translator filing for license (which is supposed to mean its already built and undergoing on air testing) and even had a YouTube video made by one of their listeners to promote reporting any interference to COX asap.

And finally, MIK who has two LD Construction Permits in Port Arthur, (as well as MANY other areas!) has filed for an extension of their CPs (along with their other locations in the US)...They will likely get approved...for now....

Now back to watching Captain Horatio Hornblower....If the damn internet would quit resetting after 15 mins into it!! (OK, its time to DL the movie and watch it off the HD)
No BPTTV, just KTHT booming in from Cleveland out here at the Cozy Cabin...

post #9979 of 9989 Old 08-17-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I cannot see the pilot on 82.31 is on...Guess 6.xxx is off the air too...not surprised.....Proctor has a great track record...1300, RF 6 and others....

AND BPT is such a great market...(sadly it used to be!)...

thanks for Reagan's FCC starting the downhill slide....
post #9980 of 9989 Old 08-17-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I cannot see the pilot on 82.31 is on...Guess 6.xxx is off the air too...not surprised.....Proctor has a great track record...1300, RF 6 and others....

AND BPT is such a great market...(sadly it used to be!)...

thanks for Reagan's FCC starting the downhill slide....
Gerald Proctor does not own KIPS 6.1 anymore. It was sold to Abraham Telecasting awhile back... You don't suppose they are building out their upgraded construction permit do you??? Nah.

post #9981 of 9989 Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Gerald Proctor does not own KIPS 6.1 anymore. It was sold to Abraham Telecasting awhile back... You don't suppose they are building out their upgraded construction permit do you??? Nah.
IF...IF they were smart, they would file to go to RF4 instead....there is one big honking batwing still sitting in Vidor unused....and would be good for a DTV4 station....the one moving into Houston is a LP and was never on the air in Woodville or Devers...but its probably too late to say anything (though 93QClassic in Houston who hates Henderson seems to think otherwise)....KIPS should file for Class A service and get protection and go for it....They would have pretty good coverage over the area...(probably outdo the 15KW UHF LPs!)......

IF they were smart......or move to RF3!!!! The batwing will cover that!
post #9982 of 9989 Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

FCC today approved transfer of control of all the LDs that KUIL/KBMT had to Gannett (thru their KMOV subsidiary).

Also KAOB 27 had its license renewed.

A visual check at the 990 AM tower site does not show any antenna at 300 ft for the 97.1 translator...thought a License to Cover had been filed but nope...the CP is all so far....

AND tonight, tropo is BIG time....
http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/
post #9983 of 9989 Old 08-27-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Dear 27.2 (whoever this JoeKAOB is),

Your ads SUCK...audio is all over the place, muffled, distorted, horrible and whoever is producing them should be shot...(dont expect a job at a real TV station!)...

Also going to ads right in the middle of a good movie (they are playing their John Wayne collection this week and not waiting for a pause in the movie to go to spots) with such horrible and LOUD audio is a stupid thing....Too bad we dont have a 15 KW LD omni in Vidor with real programming and production...and maybe THIS on one of the channels...(would also love to see ANTENNA TV but Im not holding my breath)...

Also KIPS-LD is still off the air....cant see the pilot anywhere..the 104.9 translator for KHCB on the same tower is dead air..(on air but no audio)....Emailed Paul at KHCB to let him know.

Also in a FB discussion with other Cowboy Network stations, I mentioned the audio phasing problem here...engineer from ElPaso said he had similar problems but was not sure where they were coming from....so now it pointed to the Sat feed itself...he was going to bring that up in the conference call Monday..no word on any progress but I sure hope they have it fixed for the next game...

On the radio side, KOLE is doing its dead air thing again...(gotta find their local studio)...1300 is still dead and likely wont return...former manager and voice of the station, Tom Clay evidently moved to family in the Grand Prairie area though his FB page still shows he lives in Beaumont and is market manager of 1300 (uh huh)...meanwhile the main number to their studios behind Casa Ole off I10 is no longer in use and the suite is up for lease...the "Freedom Radio" format is supposed to be on 1350 Jasper...but I doubt it will last any length of time...Need to check with Mike Lout to see what is happening with it....(Hey who knows, he could get a LMA for 1190 going...Thats a station that NOONE can make work these days..perfect..just like 1300)

Also until next Tuesday or so, SiriusXM has activated all radios again...so if you want to listen to them, now's the time.....I wonder if they have fixed the audio artifacts on a number of songs and channels....
post #9984 of 9989 Old 08-31-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Former KFDM Weather guy Bob French files suit against KBTX 3.1 in Aggieland:

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2014/...mcguff+blog%29
post #9985 of 9989 Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW meant to post this a while back....for those wishing to work their way through the new software, there is a easy way to do it....

Look at upper right of page and click on User CP (control panel).....go down to where it says Thread Display Mode...by choosing NEW threads, it then aligns msgs in threads you are subscribed to in order from newest to oldest so you dont have to click your way through all the old messages...

27.2 has an interesting screen saver up....nice going folks, but I miss the John Wayne movies even with the horrible audio commercials
post #9986 of 9989 Old 09-16-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

some radio news

In case you havent heard, Clear Channel went away today (sorta)...they changed their name to iHeartMedia....

except the outdoor unit kept the CC name...it is likely to be spun off to pay for the massive interest payments on their even more massive debt due in 2016....

Damn, no more CHEAP Channel jokes....but as some folks on FB have said, no matter what you change the name to, crap is still crap..

post #9987 of 9989 Old 09-16-2014, 05:50 PM

Antennacraft power supply

OK guys and gals, I have an older Antennacraft like this, mounted in the attick that has perfromed very well for the last few years. Now all of a sudden I'm getting very weak signals on all the OTA channels. I usually get signals in the 70-75 range, but now they seem to be around 40-55. While on the antenna signal screen, the signal will have wild fluctuations without even moving the antenna, sometimes going from 40 all the way to 80! I checked connections, and all seems good. Could this be a problem with the antenna's power supply? The coax goes from antenna-to power supply-to TV.
post #9988 of 9989 Old 09-18-2014, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

If the connections seem ok then likely it is the power supply going south.....it looks like the specs are 12V DC...I take it there is no way to check the PS with the antenna connected (via a T or a specially cut piece of coax which would give you access to the center conductor for VOM testing)?? personally, I would go with an outside antenna and a CM7777 amp...you would be amazed at the extra signal you will get...with a 20ft high mounted VU90 (like the CM3016), it was picking up Houston stations 90+ air miles away!Of course no reason to have a lowband antenna right now...but that change after the repacking depending on the market
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page