1Likes

post #1801 of 9966 Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toms111la View Post

I was not trying to jam you, I just wanted to make a coment. I know 3 has been slow but I know they actually built the antenna so I would guess it would be within a few months.

oh no, I think discussion like this is good. a newbie may come look to see what they can catch and not know that it is possible to catch katc if you try hard enough. I know that the regulars here like most of us know what is and isnt possible but even I didnt know much about it when I first got into hd ota.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 9966 Old 07-24-2007, 12:05 PM

So, when will KATC flip the switch? I have CM-4228 and CM-7777 and am unable to receive it. I am able to receive all of the other Lafayette channels as well as KPLC and KALB, but no KATC. Also, I have a CM-3020 antenna and although it is an eyesore, I find that I get stronger signals with it than with the CM-4228.
post #1803 of 9966 Old 07-24-2007, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlineman View Post

So, when will KATC flip the switch? I have CM-4228 and CM-7777 and am unable to receive it. I am able to receive all of the other Lafayette channels as well as KPLC and KALB, but no KATC. Also, I have a CM-3020 antenna and although it is an eyesore, I find that I get stronger signals with it than with the CM-4228.

From what I understand (by reading these forums, not any inside information) it should be within the next couple of months.
post #1804 of 9966 Old 07-24-2007, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just hope they get it ready for football season.
post #1805 of 9966 Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

They will flip it when they are ready. You'd need an extreme dx'ing rig to get in Oakdale before they flip the switch.

On the UHF channels the CM4228 outperforms the CM3020 by a long shot.

If you need your ABC-HD now, you'll have to use one of the satellite methods.
post #1806 of 9966 Old 07-25-2007, 11:42 AM

I will just have to disagree with your statement that the CM-4228 outperforms the CM-3020 at all, much less by a long shot. The CM-4228 had a signal decrease on klfy of 10pts and a decrease on kplc of 12pts, but it did increase on 24.1-24.5 by 7pts. I also went from 100 to 95 on fox 15. I do realize that kplc is presently vhf, but klfy and the others are uhf. I continue to peg the meter at 100 on kalb. I will say it is a good antenna for the money spent, but after hearing about the great reputation this antenna has I must say I'm a bit disappointed in its performance. The reason I'm disappointed is because I expected it to outperform my CM-3020. It did not.

By the way, there is no need to be captain obvious "They will flip it when they are ready." I was simply inquiring from someone who might be in the know. I would much rather have cordial exchanges on here if possible, and saying flip remarks such as this adds nothing positive for this site or its members. If I took your opening statement wrong I apologize. If not there is an old saying, "If you aren't part of the solution,........" In any event, I will try to be as pleasant to all site members as I possibly can.
post #1807 of 9966 Old 07-25-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will just have to disagree with your statement that the CM-4228 outperforms the CM-3020 at all, much less by a long shot. The CM-4228 had a signal decrease on klfy of 10pts and a decrease on kplc of 12pts, but it did increase on 24.1-24.5 by 7pts. I also went from 100 to 95 on fox 15. I do realize that kplc is presently vhf, but klfy and the others are uhf. I continue to peg the meter at 100 on kalb. I will say it is a good antenna for the money spent, but after hearing about the great reputation this antenna has I must say I'm a bit disappointed in its performance. The reason I'm disappointed is because I expected it to outperform my CM-3020. It did not.

By the way, there is no need to be captain obvious "They will flip it when they are ready." I was simply inquiring from someone who might be in the know. I would much rather have cordial exchanges on here if possible, and saying flip remarks such as this adds nothing positive for this site or its members. If I took your opening statement wrong I apologize. If not there is an old saying, "If you aren't part of the solution,........" In any event, I will try to be as pleasant to all site members as I possibly can.

The CM-3020 has an average gain of 9.5db on the UHF band. The CM4228 has an average of gain of 12.0db on the UHF band. Nice difference there. Possibly you have some antenna issues or location issues as RF is a funny animal at times.

Take a look at the raw gain of a CM-3018 on this chart and the gain of the CM4228. The CM-3018 is only about shy by about 1 db gain versus the CM-3020. Adding a 1 db gain to the chart in the link below would put the CM-3020 at almost the same performance as the CM4228 in the upper UHF band. But the CM4228 definitely shines in the mid 20's to mid 40's on the UHF compared to the CM-3020. As for KADN at RF 16 the two should be almost identical. But again... RF is a funny animal. Use what works in you area. I prefer the CM4221 and CM4228, as they usually easy to mount to an outside wall or other non-intrusive places, excellent UHF performers, etc. Maybe it's just me, but I see a thing of beauty with a CM4228 mounted 25 feet in the air.

I'm not being captain obvious, I'm just telling you the truth. I'm just that type of person, I will tell you like it is. I'm not going to sugar coat the issues at hand. If you don't like my posts, feel free to add my member name to the ignore function here.

And I will say it again...They will kick it on when they are ready. You won't see a release date from any stations DT progress. We've been through this with all the stations...setbacks..delays..weather...equipment problems...FCC problems..you name it. It's difficult for the engineers to try juggle all the legal issues, equipment issues, personnel issues in order to make it happen for our TV pleasure. I have to hand it to them as some of them have probably been bashed for the delays but still manage to pull through with the tools they have at hand and the other hand tied behind their back due to upper management.
post #1808 of 9966 Old 07-25-2007, 01:30 PM

I thank you for being truthful and I respect your opinion as I have read alot of your posts, but I must say with all truthfulness and without sugar coating it, that it is very obvious that they will turn the switch on as soon as they are ready. This should go without saying. I would never ask you to sugar coat something for me, and I have no intentions of placing you on my ignore list. I will suggest to you, however, that you will attract more flies with honey than with excrement.(for lack of a better word)

I am not bashing the station or engineers, infact, I'm very understanding to katc and what they may be going through getting this thing up and running. Furthermore, I respect the station for doing this upgrade this far in advance of when necessary. I just wanted to know the timeframe on when I may be able to view the station OTA.

As far as the CM-4228 and CM-3020 goes, I have read the charts (by the way you left the link off your post) and I agree that the CM-4228 appears to be the better antenna, but in my real world application, I find the opposite to be the case. I don't know what the reason is, but I've moved them all over the place at my home and the CM-3020 just does better. I bought the CM-4228 in hopes of getting a better signal (I had the CM-3020 first), but as I said in my previous post I was disappointed. Now, if you compare the costs the CM-4228, at roughly half the cost, is probably a better value.

Just a few questions. Is it possible to stack or combine the CM-3020 and CM-4228 to get a better signal or would it be more trouble than it is worth? If possible, how would you go about doing it?(ie advice, info,etc.....)
post #1809 of 9966 Old 07-25-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

post #1810 of 9966 Old 07-25-2007, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to try to combine the two antennas just to see what happens. If I do I will post my results.
post #1811 of 9966 Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In refrence to KATC I took a ride out to branch on LA35 this morning with my uber-cheap binoculars in hand. From my view I saw what appears to be a Batwing Antenna, however the tower didn't appear to have any rigid waveguide going to the antenna, and no STL dishes, not even high intensity strobe lights, so surmised to say were still a ways from "turning it up" peeps.
post #1812 of 9966 Old 07-25-2007, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jleblan1 View Post

I took a ride out to branch on LA35 this morning with my uber-cheap binoculars in hand. From my view I saw what appears to be a Batwing Antenna, however the tower didn't appear to have any rigid waveguide going to the antenna, and no STL dishes, not even high intensity strobe lights, so surmised to say were still a ways from "turning it up" peeps.

Wow I figured they would be farther than that.
post #1813 of 9966 Old 07-25-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to try to combine the two antennas just to see what happens. If I do I will post my results.

For what it is worth, I have tried a lot of different combinations of multiple antenna's linked through a common lead, and although I had some limited success, these hookups ultimately proved to be more trouble than they were worth. The problem is multi-path interference. For the most part, what I was trying to do was to aim multiple antennas at different stations in different directions. I also tried aiming multiple antenna's at a single station and had a little success but the problem is that I seemed to be constantly repositioning to fix problems on one station but causing problems on others. Good luck but don't fight it too hard. I would suggest directing you efforts to going higher.
post #1814 of 9966 Old 07-26-2007, 09:06 AM

Sounds like good advice toms311la.
post #1815 of 9966 Old 07-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Richard , I noticed that Corpus Christi has their Digital sub channel 6.2 CW station up on their list of channels that DISH has in their locals pack. It isn't enabeled yet or available yet, but I was wondering will DISH carry the CW on our 6.2 sub channel of Channel 6 to give DISH subs their own CW station with their locals pack? IT would be nice to have it along with the rest of our stations considering Time Warner already has it.
post #1816 of 9966 Old 07-26-2007, 09:25 AM

Thanks Jleblan1. I guess I won't be seeing many ABC College Football games of the week this season.
post #1817 of 9966 Old 07-26-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks Jleblan1. I guess I won't be seeing many ABC College Football games of the week this season.

not unless you have satellite and "move" to a location that has locals in hd and a conus beam.
post #1818 of 9966 Old 07-26-2007, 03:22 PM

Obviously we've had rainy weather the past month, so my guy at KATC says that the new completion date has been moved to the end of August, weather permitting.

Sorry for the late reaction, but I forgot about this thread for awhile...mostly because it became dominated by Beaumont
post #1819 of 9966 Old 07-26-2007, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldmaga View Post

Obviously we've had rainy weather the past month, so my guy at KATC says that the new completion date has been moved to the end of August, weather permitting.

Sorry for the late reaction, but I forgot about this thread for awhile...mostly because it became dominated by Beaumont

Thanks for the update!
post #1820 of 9966 Old 07-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE D-CO5 View Post

Richard , I noticed that Corpus Christi has their Digital sub channel 6.2 CW station up on their list of channels that DISH has in their locals pack. It isn't enabeled yet or available yet, but I was wondering will DISH carry the CW on our 6.2 sub channel of Channel 6 to give DISH subs their own CW station with their locals pack? IT would be nice to have it along with the rest of our stations considering Time Warner already has it.

Getting the Beaumont local CW on satellite is not in my hands; This is an "Uncle Larry" project. The bad news is that I have heard nothing about it for some months. I will have to check with Larry when he gets back from his latest business trip.

Richard
post #1821 of 9966 Old 08-08-2007, 11:47 AM

This might be a little off topic but...

I've recently moved to Northwest Forrest and I've got a big HD capable antenna in the attic that the previous owner left. I'm buying a new HD set this week and I want to try the over the air stuff before paying for any digital services from CMA.

To my dismay after CMA came today to install basic cable and internet access, I've found there is no PBS on CMA. I've read here some people mentioning lake charles broadcasting a PBS station, does anyone know if it is HD and what the likelyhood of it reaching me between Beaumont and Sour Lake would be?

Thanks!
post #1822 of 9966 Old 08-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booray View Post

This might be a little off topic but...

I've recently moved to Northwest Forrest and I've got a big HD capable antenna in the attic that the previous owner left. I'm buying a new HD set this week and I want to try the over the air stuff before paying for any digital services from CMA.

To my dismay after CMA came today to install basic cable and internet access, I've found there is no PBS on CMA. I've read here some people mentioning lake charles broadcasting a PBS station, does anyone know if it is HD and what the likelyhood of it reaching me between Beaumont and Sour Lake would be?

Thanks!

The chances are zero.
KLTL's tower is NE of Lake Charles and I have never even once picked them up here in Beaumont. The only Lake Charles station you may get is KPLC NBC on 7.1.
They have a very very tall tower with a lot of power.

I believe the best HDTV option right now is Dish Network. Assuming you have no trees in the way.
If you get Dish and subscribe to the Beaumont locals you will get the Houston PBS automatically. Though it is currently not in HD on Dish. Just over the air.
Then if you do what a lot of us here in Beaumont have done you can call Dish and "Move" to a Houston address for your main House and leave you Billing address here in Beaumont. You will then get the following with a Dish 622 HD DVR.

CBS Beaumont in HD and SD
NBC Beaumont in SD
ABC Beaumont in SD and HD soon.
FOX Beaumont in SD
CW Beaumont in SD
PBS Houston in SD
CBS Houston in HD
NBC Houston in HD
ABC Houston in HD
FOX Houston in HD
CW Houston in SD
My 20 Houston in SD
And channel 54 Houston with the Astros games.
Plus many many more national HD channels.

Welcome to the Forums and feel free to ask anything.
post #1823 of 9966 Old 08-09-2007, 01:49 PM

I'm thinking about moving to Houston, Anybody have a good phone script to use.
Sure feel unsure about it. Sound so fishy>
post #1824 of 9966 Old 08-09-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post

The chances are zero.
Welcome to the Forums and feel free to ask anything.

Thanks for the great information. The previous owner left a 3 tuner Direct TV setup but so far I haven't had any satellite. I'm a TiVo guy with 2 so far and planning on a 3rd with that new HD model they just released so I'm still in the air for my plans.
post #1825 of 9966 Old 08-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLUMP View Post

I'm thinking about moving to Houston, Anybody have a good phone script to use.
Sure feel unsure about it. Sound so fishy>

I waited about 6 months because I was unsure about the whole "Moving" thing as well.
Let me tell you it could not be easier. Dish does not care one iota if you have two addresses.
I have done it, my brother has done it, my brother-in-law has done it, as have thousands of customers all over the country.
Let's face it, we currently live in a poor excuse of an area for HDTV over the air.
Now I am in HDTV heaven and I wonder how I ever put up with what is offered here.
Here is what I told them.
I called and told them that my job had moved my to Pasadena but that I was still keeping my home here in Beaumont. I told them I had already moved my dish myself to the new apartment and just needed to switch my address to Pasadena and keep my billing address in Beaumont.
It is very important to keep your billing address local so any mailings will come directly to you.
Just look up any business address in the town of your choice and put an apartment number on it.
Within 10 minutes of making my phone call I had all the Houston and all the Beaumont locals. Same with everybody else I know that has done it.
post #1826 of 9966 Old 08-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booray View Post

Thanks for the great information. The previous owner left a 3 tuner Direct TV setup but so far I haven't had any satellite. I'm a TiVo guy with 2 so far and planning on a 3rd with that new HD model they just released so I'm still in the air for my plans.

Direct TV is ok but they currently do not offer our local channels on their system.
You would have to get them over the air only.
I have used Tivo plenty of times and I find the Dish HD DVR to be about just as good.
Plus it is free with new sign ups right now.
Good luck with whatever route you decide to go.
post #1827 of 9966 Old 08-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post

I waited about 6 months because I was unsure about the whole "Moving" thing as well.
Let me tell you it could not be easier. Dish does not care one iota if you have two addresses.
I have done it, my brother has done it, my brother-in-law has done it, as have thousands of customers all over the country.
Let's face it, we currently live in a poor excuse of an area for HDTV over the air.
Now I am in HDTV heaven and I wonder how I ever put up with what is offered here.
Here is what I told them.
I called and told them that my job had moved my to Pasadena but that I was still keeping my home here in Beaumont. I told them I had already moved my dish myself to the new apartment and just needed to switch my address to Pasadena and keep my billing address in Beaumont.
It is very important to keep your billing address local so any mailings will come directly to you.
Just look up any business address in the town of your choice and put an apartment number on it.
Within 10 minutes of making my phone call I had all the Houston and all the Beaumont locals. Same with everybody else I know that has done it.

Say Arcade ,when you say you got SD Beaumont Locals do you mean OTA? Because it sounds like you are getting both the Beaumont locals and hd Houston locals at the same time via satellite . How are you doing that and are you getting both locals at their low channel numbers and are you getting charged for both set of locals?
post #1828 of 9966 Old 08-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Say Arcade ,when you say you got SD Beaumont Locals do you mean OTA? Because it sounds like you are getting both the Beaumont locals and hd Houston locals at the same time via satellite . How are you doing that and are you getting both locals at their low channel numbers and are you getting charged for both set of locals?

Sorry I was out of town in Dallas for the weekend at the Rush Concert.
Yes I get both the Houston and Beaumont locals on the Dish Satellite.
Only the Houston locals show up on the low channel numbers.
The Beaumont locals are only on channels 8443-8446.
I only pay for one set of local channels.
When I called the Dish CSR to "Move" I told her to leave my billing address at my Beaumont residence. I get a paper bill in the mail. I do not have auto pay.
I am thinking this is what must get me both Houston and Beaumont locals.
My brother and brother-in-law also both get Houstona and Beaumont locals and have the same billing set up as me.

Now maybe for some shocking news. While I was in Dallas Saturday my dad phoned me to tell me that channel 12 was broadcasting in HD!!!

(Edit) I now know this not to be the case as I have watched Desperate Housewives tonight and it is not in HD.
post #1829 of 9966 Old 08-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

How long has it been since you "moved " to Houston? I had a similar situation when I "moved" back to Beaumont for a month after the Hurricane in 2005. I had Houston channels in the 8000 range and they stayed there for a week or so and then they dropped off. This was before they added Beaumont locals in October of 2006. As to the billing I have auto pay and paperless billing.

I will look at 12 tonight at 8:00 to see if they are indeed in HD . I 've seen no advertisements of this by channel 12 . I also watch channel 13 from Houston for most of my hd shows so I haven't compared it yet.
post #1830 of 9966 Old 08-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How long has it been since you "moved " to Houston? I had a similar situation when I "moved" back to Beaumont for a month after the Hurricane in 2005. I had Houston channels in the 8000 range and they stayed there for a week or so and then they dropped off. This was before they added Beaumont locals in October of 2006. As to the billing I have auto pay and paperless billing.

I will look at 12 tonight at 8:00 to see if they are indeed in HD . I 've seen no advertisements of this by channel 12 . I also watch channel 13 from Houston for most of my hd shows so I haven't compared it yet.

Just as I thought. He must have had the channel on 12-2 and watched the picture stretched out. Even though I specifically asked him if he was on 12-1 I knew he was somehow confused.
So it appears we will just have to wait as always.

I don't remember exactly how long it has been since I Moved but I'm sure it has been over 5 or 6 months now. I have always had both sets of channels.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page