Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 9970 Old 03-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We just finished installing and testing the Surround Sound equipment. It works.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 9970 Old 03-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks for all the hard work Richard.
We are ready for the games.
post #183 of 9970 Old 03-17-2005, 04:24 PM

I'm watching the HD game right now. I noticed there is another HD game tonight but I'm guessing that we will get the LSU game in SD. Has anyone gotten any information on this?
post #184 of 9970 Old 03-17-2005, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pack66
Lantano.... can you tell a difference between HDMI and component when it comes to a cable source?

Sorry for the delay, Arcade told me someone posted a question to me....

I have a Sony 55WF655 LCD and on the SA8300HD HDMI is definitely better than component for analog, digital and digital HD signals. All outputs are "live" on the SA8300 HD DVRs so for comparison I hooked up Svideo, Component and HDMI. SVideo was blurry and exhibited poor colors, Component had the best color saturation and HDMI had the most detail (very sharp picture). For my tastes I prefer the clearer picture of HDMI. I also noticed that 480i upscales better than 480P due to the internal TV scaler on my Sony being better than the 8300HD scaler.

Couple of tips on the SA8300 HD:
  • Be sure to go thru the advanced user setup to configure the different video modes by pressing INFO and GUIDE buttons together when the SA8300 HD is powered off.
  • I am using 1080i, 720P and 480i standard with 480P standard, and 480i/480P widescreen set to off.
  • For component connections change the Digital Video output in the extra settings screen to PASSTHROUGH to avoid using the 8300 scaler (HDMI is set to auto passthrough already)
  • For HDMI connections be sure to set the digital audio output from HDMI to Dolby Digital to get 5.1 surround thru either the Optical or Digital COAX outputs to your HT receiver
post #185 of 9970 Old 04-04-2005, 06:18 PM

Does anyone know when KLFY will start broadcasting in 5.1?
post #186 of 9970 Old 04-23-2005, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
HDNET TO BROADCAST GAMES 2-5 OF FIRST ROUND IN PLAYOFFS

For Immediate Release- April 23, 2005

DALLAS - The Dallas Mavericks and HDNet announced today that fans will
be able to watch Games 2 through 5 of the Mavs vs. Rockets Round 1
Playoff Series in high-definition on HDNet in Texas.

"There's nothing more exciting than playoff time, especially when you
have a match-up featuring two Texas teams," said Mavs owner Mark Cuban.
"HDNet and the Mavs want to give viewers at home an experience that is
almost as good as being there."

Co-founded by Cuban and General Manager Philip Garvin, HDNet provides
viewers with exciting and topical news, sports, music and entertainment
programming. The network features up to 20 hours of original
programming each week, all produced in the highest quality 1080i HDTV
format - more original high-definition programming than any other
network.

HDNet news and entertainment includes original series "HDNet World
Report," "Face 2 Face with Roy Firestone," "Art Mann Presents," "HDNet
Concert Series," and "True Music," as well as every episode of the
acclaimed Warner Bros. series "Smallville." Live sports productions
include NASCAR auto racing, National Hockey League and Major League
Soccer games.

HDNet Movies, the company's second network, shows a wide selection of
major studios' theatrical releases - all uncut, unedited, and appearing
in their original aspect ratio. The network also features movies
produced and finished in true 1080i high-definition, including movies
premiering day and date with their theatrical releases.

Fans can contact their cable or satellite providers or visit www.hd.net
for more information. Comcast does not currently carry HDNet and HDNet
Movies, so Mavs Playoff games in HD are not available to Comcast
customers. Comcast customers are asked to call their local office and
let them know they want HDNet and the Mavs in HD.

MAVERICKS 2005 PLAYOFF HDNET SCHEDULE
(All Times Listed CT)
Game 2 Mon., April 25 - Rockets @ Mavs 8:30 p.m.
Game 3 Thurs., April 28 - Mavs @ Rockets 8:30
p.m.
Game 4 Sat., April 30 - Mavs @ Rockets 4:30 p.m.
Game 5 Mon., May 2 - Rockets @ Mavs, if necessary TBD

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #187 of 9970 Old 04-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

That is great news.
The game at 4:30 today is HD on ESPN as well.
post #188 of 9970 Old 04-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

It now looks like the Houston, San Antonio and Beaumont markets will not carry on HD NET.
The press release states if your Zip Code starts with the following prefixes only.

and if the first three digits of your zip code match the digits on this list:
750, 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765, 766, 767, 768, 769, 783, 784, 785, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795, 796, 797, 798, 799
post #189 of 9970 Old 07-18-2005, 09:08 PM

Haven't posted in a while and was wondering if anyone has any news on whether the local channels will start broadcasting in HD on cable? Starting to lose faith....really don't want to buy an HD OTA receiver if I don't have to.
post #190 of 9970 Old 07-19-2005, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pack66 View Post

Haven't posted in a while and was wondering if anyone has any news on whether the local channels will start broadcasting in HD on cable? Starting to lose faith....really don't want to buy an HD OTA receiver if I don't have to.

OTA HD will look much better than cable, have you seen what Cox in Lafayette does to HD? Not to mention Cox has just two of four local network affiliates.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #191 of 9970 Old 07-19-2005, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

I checked with TWC last week. I got the usual " It's in negotiations" so who knows when they will have the local DT stations on cable. I've built an antenna farm in my attic and can get KPLC DT from Lake Charles. They are currently broadcasting the NBC HD programming. I can get KLTL DT on most nights and early mornings. They have 3 PBS digital channels including the PBS HD feed. I also get KFDM DT and get their HD programming. I get KBTV-DT but their digital programming is not in HD. I can't see anything from FOX or KBMT. Anybody have any info on when these stations will go up with their real antenna's and broadcast in HD?
post #192 of 9970 Old 07-19-2005, 10:20 AM

hey jfklennon, I didn't realize that COX offered any of the local stations in HD. I was onboard with the in Jan. and they had nothing. I sent the equipment back to them

I bought a LG LST3510a last night, and now I looking around for a good antenna to tie into it.

How is the OTA reception? I live just outside of the Scott area. KLFY's tower is 12 miles northwest and KATC is 3 miles east-northeast., so if you have any suggestions for an antenna, and where to find it, I'd appreciate it.

BTW, how well does KADN come it? I've been hearing that they are not so good.
post #193 of 9970 Old 07-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCaveman View Post

hey jfklennon, I didn't realize that COX offered any of the local stations in HD. I was onboard with the in Jan. and they had nothing. I sent the equipment back to them

I bought a LG LST3510a last night, and now I looking around for a good antenna to tie into it.

How is the OTA reception? I live just outside of the Scott area. KLFY's tower is 12 miles northwest and KATC is 3 miles east-northeast., so if you have any suggestions for an antenna, and where to find it, I'd appreciate it.

BTW, how well does KADN come it? I've been hearing that they are not so good.

Hi Cajuncaveman, I use a radio shack vu120 along with a channelmaster 4228 (screen removed) tied together with a splitter (used backwards) about 30 feet high. All stations come in very well. As far as KADN they were hit by lightning and the DTV transmitter took a hit (before last week they were very strong in my area, even at thier 1 kw output) keep in mind though, my antenna is very high up and your mileage may vary. Currently Receiving;

WBRZ DTV
KPLC DTV
KATC DTV
KLFY DTV
KADN DTV
KLPB DTV

WGMB/WVLA COMING WITHIN DAYS!

ps-I bought the channelmaster @ ralphs electronics on cameron street.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #194 of 9970 Old 07-19-2005, 10:57 AM

Thanks...

Your picking up way more than I thought we could.

I'll probably go by ralph's in the morning and take a look. May be able to get this up in the air around 20 feet or so by the weekend.

Are you using any amps?
post #195 of 9970 Old 07-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks...

Your picking up way more than I thought we could.

I'll probably go by ralph's in the morning and take a look. May be able to get this up in the air around 20 feet or so by the weekend.

Are you using any amps?

No amps, tried one early on, KLFY will overdrive your receiver making it impossible to watch...another thing to keep in mind, Because of the FCC order all Lafayette stations must be at full power by July 2006 (the top 100 markets went high power July 2005) It will be much easier to receive these stations then. also many local stations will be on the UHF spectrum when the digital transistion is complete, this includes KATC, KLFY however, will revert back to channel 10, so you will need a large combo antenna (UHF/VHF) to continue receiving these stations reliably after the digital conversion.

post #196 of 9970 Old 07-19-2005, 11:34 AM

Good Point... I hadn't considered that. UHF is only short term, for the most part.

So my solution should include both VHF and UHF for long term use.

Thanks a bunch, I could have made a big mistake without that little insight
post #197 of 9970 Old 07-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyww View Post

I checked with TWC last week. I got the usual " It's in negotiations" so who knows when they will have the local DT stations on cable. I've built an antenna farm in my attic and can get KPLC DT from Lake Charles. They are currently broadcasting the NBC HD programming. I can get KLTL DT on most nights and early mornings. They have 3 PBS digital channels including the PBS HD feed. I also get KFDM DT and get their HD programming. I get KBTV-DT but their digital programming is not in HD. I can't see anything from FOX or KBMT. Anybody have any info on when these stations will go up with their real antenna's and broadcast in HD?

I emailed KFDM last week about any news on getting their HD signal on cable and still no reply.
I still get KFDM, KBTV and KBMT very well in digital. I can't get anything from FOX yet, 64 or 29.
post #198 of 9970 Old 07-19-2005, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

No amps, tried one early on, KLFY will overdrive your receiver making it impossible to watch...another thing to keep in mind, Because of the FCC order all Lafayette stations must be at full power by July 2006 (the top 100 markets went high power July 2005) It will be much easier to receive these stations then. also many local stations will be on the UHF spectrum when the digital transistion is complete, this includes KATC, KLFY however, will revert back to channel 10, so you will need a large combo antenna (UHF/VHF) to continue receiving these stations reliably after the digital conversion.

Check the antenna's specs. I've run across some specs on the CM4228, there is gain on the high VHF band, some think it is the screen on the antenna. Possibly enough gain to pick up RF 10 when they go back.
post #199 of 9970 Old 07-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

Check the antenna's specs. I've run across some specs on the CM4228, there is gain on the high VHF band, some think it is the screen on the antenna. Possibly enough gain to pick up RF 10 when they go back.

Digiblur, you are correct about the cm 4228 ability to receive high VHF channels I receive WBRZ VHF 13 without the screen from 49 miles out at 80-to 90 percent signal strength (the screen helps increase frontal gain only) however, in Cajuncavemans case he needs a big combo pointed at KLFY's tower to receive all local stations after the conversion, remember our NBC affiliate (one of three) is KPLC (VHF CHANNEL 7 after the conversion) whose tower is 60 miles from my address operating @ 17kw, this is full power at 1700 feet so he will need a VHF antenna for a reliable signal, the cm 4228 alone in this case is not a good option...He may need to combine two antennas just to receive all locals, as of now only 2 lafayette stations share the same dtv tower..

post #200 of 9970 Old 07-20-2005, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post

I just got my HD over the air set up a couple of weeks ago.
Here in Beaumont we only have CBS (KFDM), that broadcast a true HD signal. NBC (KBTV) and ABC (KBMT) only broadcast a digital signal of their SD programming.
If anyone else has heard a timeline for NBC and ABC to start showing HD signals, I would love to hear it.

I live in Nederland area. I was with TWC for years and finally switched mainly due to price and equipment issues. I did have the HD receiver from TWC and was satisfied with it. However, I switched to Dish and have the 811 Hd Receiver and a 625 DVR for 2 other rooms. I'm completely satisfied with the switch to Dish.

Now to the OTA question. I have an outdoor directional antenna and can receive KFDM and KBTV digital with no problem. I can't receive KBMT digital because their tower is in Bmt. I get all 3 analog signals fine, but I'm looking for an antenna and possible rotator to make sure I can receive all available in the area.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #201 of 9970 Old 07-20-2005, 07:09 AM

Last Night I put a Channel Master 3018 in the attic, hanging on some string tied to the rafter supports. I pointed it at the towers to the northwest, (splitting the difference and pointing between them) and got a signal that was 3/4 full strength.

I picked up KATC from the opposite direction (to the northeast), KLFY and KLPB. Got nothing from KADN which is or of the towers in the direction that I was pointing.

I'm told that I may be losing as much a 30 percent in the attic, and of course this was just a test. I plan to move to a mast outside (about 25 feet), either tonight or this weekend. Hopefully I'll get something from KADN then.

I'm thinking of putting another Channel Master 3018 on the same mast and pointing it towards the Baton Rouge area to try and get those signals.

Now, would the Channel Master 3018 be OK for the Baton Rouge signals 50 miles away, of should I just go with the 4228 and be done with it.
post #202 of 9970 Old 07-20-2005, 07:16 AM

I live in Nederland area. I was with TWC for years and finally switched mainly due to price and equipment issues. I did have the HD receiver from TWC and was satisfied with it. However, I switched to Dish and have the 811 Hd Receiver and a 625 DVR for 2 other rooms. I'm completely satisfied with the switch to Dish.

Now to the OTA question. I have an outdoor directional antenna and can receive KFDM and KBTV digital with no problem. I can't receive KBMT digital because their tower is in Bmt. I get all 3 analog signals fine, but I'm looking for an antenna and possible rotator to make sure I can receive all available in the area and any in La. that can be picked up.

post #203 of 9970 Old 07-20-2005, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucrazy51 View Post

Now to the OTA question. I have an outdoor directional antenna and can receive KFDM and KBTV digital with no problem. I can't receive KBMT digital because their tower is in Bmt. I get all 3 analog signals fine, but I'm looking for an antenna and possible rotator to make sure I can receive all available in the area and any in La. that can be picked up.

You may just be out of luck. From what I've heard, you can only get KBMT-DT if you live very near their studio. Once you get out of Beaumont, the signal drops off dramatically. They are using a 100 foot temporary tower at the studio. I've heard that they are going up with their new tower in Vidor but I don't know when. I'm guessing that it will be at the last possible moment. It really doeesn't matter right now anyway. The last I heard, they did not possess the decoding equipment necessary to pass through the ABC HD programming.
post #204 of 9970 Old 07-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Last Night I put a Channel Master 3018 in the attic, hanging on some string tied to the rafter supports. I pointed it at the towers to the northwest, (splitting the difference and pointing between them) and got a signal that was 3/4 full strength.

I picked up KATC from the opposite direction (to the northeast), KLFY and KLPB. Got nothing from KADN which is or of the towers in the direction that I was pointing.

I'm told that I may be losing as much a 30 percent in the attic, and of course this was just a test. I plan to move to a mast outside (about 25 feet), either tonight or this weekend. Hopefully I'll get something from KADN then.

I'm thinking of putting another Channel Master 3018 on the same mast and pointing it towards the Baton Rouge area to try and get those signals.

Now, would the Channel Master 3018 be OK for the Baton Rouge signals 50 miles away, of should I just go with the 4228 and be done with it.

Cajuncaveman, Good choice of antenna, get it up as high as you can, point that combo directly at the channel 10 tower until analog channel 10 is clear and you will be set for KLFY/KLPB/KPLC DTV. Next, go ahead & purchase the 4228 attach it directly below the 3018 remove the screen and point the front of it in exactly the same direction, you may have to change directions slightly on the 4228 to achieve optimum signal strength, at this point if both antennas are high enough and way from any obstructions, nearby trees/tall buildings, etc you should receive KATC/KADN/WBRZ DTV. WGMB/WVLA should sign on in a few days....KADN is off the air right now, repairing DTV transmitter...Good luck & please report your signal strength readings will you are finished.

post #205 of 9970 Old 07-20-2005, 09:28 AM

I was thinking that the 4228 (which is in the back of my truck right now) would need to point the opposite direction to get the Baton Rouge Stations to the east.

But your telling me I should point it in the genral direction on KLFY, which is northwest, am I understanding that right.
post #206 of 9970 Old 07-20-2005, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Digiblur, you are correct about the cm 4228 ability to receive high VHF channels I receive WBRZ VHF 13 without the screen from 49 miles out at 80-to 90 percent signal strength (the screen helps increase frontal gain only) however, in Cajuncavemans case he needs a big combo pointed at KLFY's tower to receive all local stations after the conversion, remember our NBC affiliate (one of three) is KPLC (VHF CHANNEL 7 after the conversion) whose tower is 60 miles from my address operating @ 17kw, this is full power at 1700 feet so he will need a VHF antenna for a reliable signal, the cm 4228 alone in this case is not a good option...He may need to combine two antennas just to receive all locals, as of now only 2 lafayette stations share the same dtv tower..

Yup, I totally agree with the large VHF for picking up KPLC. If you don't want a choice of NBC stations, you can just go with WVLA(RF-34) in Baton Rouge which should have their 1000kw signal going in a few weeks.

I'm curious to see WVLA's HD quality on OTA, I currently watch WVLA on Cox's in the clear QAM channels.
post #207 of 9970 Old 07-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was thinking that the 4228 (which is in the back of my truck right now) would need to point the opposite direction to get the Baton Rouge Stations to the east.

But your telling me I should point it in the genral direction on KLFY, which is northwest, am I understanding that right.

Won't hurt to try it, I have both antenna's pointed in the same direction (with the screen removed on the 4228) receiving dtv stations from 3 markets.

post #208 of 9970 Old 07-20-2005, 10:07 AM

Well, we know where to point the 3018, an that will be the highst one. I can experement with the 4228.

I have just bolted the mast to the house, and now I am about the dif the hole to put it in. It's a 30 ft retractable mast, so I can bring the height down if I need to adjust while standing on the roof.

loos like i will have 10 ft of clearance above the roof.
post #209 of 9970 Old 07-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Cajuncaveman, I went through several uhf antennas before trying the 4228, which has turned out to be the best of the lot. In my case I found in order to receive KPLC reliably I had to point my vhf/ufh combo antenna and the 4228 in the same direction, using one or the other just didn't quite do it, you are a few miles further west than me so you should be in good shape. Please post your signal strength readings and stations received when you are completed.

post #210 of 9970 Old 07-20-2005, 01:38 PM

right now, I'm get 60% to 70% from KATC, KLPB, and KLFY for the CM3018. But I point the CM 4228 at Baton Rouge and I get 80% from KPLC and nothing form Baton Rouge.

I puzzled but still working on it.

Laptop is on the patio, and the Blackberry alerts me when there is a message. That's the reson for the quick responses.

Thinking about pulling the wire shield, I think that's what you did right?

Looking for the instructiosn, maybe I have it pointed work and don't realize it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page