2Likes

post #4381 of 4728 Old 11-01-2009, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digduggler View Post

Sweet. My signal strength jumped from 45-60% to 75-80%. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: and now that the clouds are gone, I"m rocking 90%! My previous high was about 70%.

Anyone completely lost their signal?

For years, I've not been able to get 33 or 40 digital via OTA. After the analog shutdown however, I was able to pick up the increased 5.1 and 9.1 signals with sporadic success depending on tuner. My previous STB (Dish 622) got a decent 9.1 signal but no 5.1. My current STB (TivoHD) got a reliable 55-60% signal for 5.1 (sufficient to watch / record with minimal tiling) but could not lock in a picture for 9.1 (even though some signal registered). All this with an attic-mounted CM 8-bay antenna pointed east towards Red Mtn towers.

I assumed that I would be able to get the stronger 33.1 signal upon conversion but, currently, my TivoHD shows 0% signal on 33.1. We were out of town from Thursday night to Saturday afternoon; thus I missed the transition while both signals were running. However, I performed a full scan on Saturday afternoon and nothing.

I haven't yet tried to slightly rotate my antenna towards Tuscaloosa (about 30 degrees) but its odd that my UHF antenna was able to get decent reception on the former VHF signal coming from the same location but nothing for the new UHF signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4728 Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 AM

You sound like you know what you're doing, but I just thought I'd ask - After I did the scan I didn't delete scanned channels (an option on the Tivo after scanning, I do not due to the clear QAM channels I pick up) and have both 33.1 freq 5 and 33.1 freq 33 in my channel list on my HD Tivo. I then manually had to switch out my 33.1 channels I receive. It seems possible your main channel list still reflects the old assignment. It might be worthwhile to take a look and confirm you weren't looking at the old frequency, I've messed that up myself when the primary transition happened. What kind of signal strength are you getting on other channels (via signal strength meter on Tivo)?
post #4383 of 4728 Old 11-02-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:

You sound like you know what you're doing, but I just thought I'd ask - After I did the scan I didn't delete scanned channels (an option on the Tivo after scanning, I do not due to the clear QAM channels I pick up) and have both 33.1 freq 5 and 33.1 freq 33 in my channel list on my HD Tivo. I then manually had to switch out my 33.1 channels I receive. It seems possible your main channel list still reflects the old assignment. It might be worthwhile to take a look and confirm you weren't looking at the old frequency, I've messed that up myself when the primary transition happened. What kind of signal strength are you getting on other channels (via signal strength meter on Tivo)?

I typically get 89-100% on the other channels but I'm only 2 miles east of the Red Mtn towers.

On Wednesday, my channel listing included both 5.1 and 33.1 channels. If I input 33.1 on the remote, it would first attempt to tune to 33.1 (I think the Tivo guide had updated prior to the actual switch). When I input 33.1 again, it then tuned to 5.1 which actually had the signal at that time.

I've since deleted 5.1 and when I check signal strength, that particular screen shows the proper frequency of 33.1 as well as the virtual channel of 33.1. I think I've done everything right but I'll re-scan.

By the way, does your TivoHD show some clear QAM channels as channel "0"?
post #4384 of 4728 Old 11-02-2009, 05:29 PM

Hmm, very odd. I'm shocked you aren't getting 33.1. I've got a directional antennae on the lower side of my roof, from what I've read your setup should be superior to mine.

My 33.1 doesn't show up at 5.1, it shows up at 33.1. Forgive me if you roll your eyes at this b/c I think you've already tried it, but if you Go to Settings-> channels->channels list you should see a 33.1 listed a few times (depending on your provider). Mine has a 33.1 freq 5 and a 33.1 freq 33 (and a clear QAM listing that has no guide data). Highlighting the channel should give you the frequency. I had to manually uncheck the freq 5 and check the freq 33. That gave me the solid signal strength.

And yes, I do get some channel 0's. I sometimes get Bravo HD and others on there (Brighthouse), but it hops so frequently I've given up. I only really use the clear QAM for the networks (13-1, 33-1 etc) that Brighthouse has mapped at the callsigns when the antenna fails. It's always interesting to hop through the clear QAM's on the tivo, as it picks up so much noise (probably encrypted noise) that I never know what I'm gonna get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmo View Post

I typically get 89-100% on the other channels but I'm only 2 miles east of the Red Mtn towers.

On Wednesday, my channel listing included both 5.1 and 33.1 channels. If I input 33.1 on the remote, it would first attempt to tune to 33.1 (I think the Tivo guide had updated prior to the actual switch). When I input 33.1 again, it then tuned to 5.1 which actually had the signal at that time.

I've since deleted 5.1 and when I check signal strength, that particular screen shows the proper frequency of 33.1 as well as the virtual channel of 33.1. I think I've done everything right but I'll re-scan.

By the way, does your TivoHD show some clear QAM channels as channel "0"?

post #4385 of 4728 Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 PM

Hello,

I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced a possible installation scam with DirecTV in the Birmingham area. About a month ago, we had DirecTV installed in our townhome on a returning customer special. Part of the deal was free installation. We had two DVRs installed in the house; one was in the living room and utilized the cables from our previous installation. The second DVR was installed in an upstairs bedroom and required the second coax cable to be dropped from the attic to the wall where the existing coax cable was installed by the builder. We were informed by the installer (a subcontractor employed by HDExperts out of Torrance, CA) that it would be a $50 charge to drop the cable. He asked that we make the check out to him, that it would be noted on the paperwork he submitted to DirecTV, and that DirecTV would reimburse us on our first bill.

Flash forward to today and I go to pay my first bill. There is no credit for the installation, so I call DirecTV for information. They said they showed no notes on the work order that would necessitate a $50 additional installation charge, and that they would have to escalate the case and investigate what had happened. I provided them with the name of the tech and his ID number.

So, my question is twofold. One, has this happened to anyone else or has anyone heard of this, and two, can I expect DirecTV to reimburse us the $50? Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Bo
post #4386 of 4728 Old 11-03-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Hmm, very odd. I'm shocked you aren't getting 33.1. I've got a directional antennae on the lower side of my roof, from what I've read your setup should be superior to mine.

My 33.1 doesn't show up at 5.1, it shows up at 33.1. Forgive me if you roll your eyes at this b/c I think you've already tried it, but if you Go to Settings-> channels->channels list you should see a 33.1 listed a few times (depending on your provider). Mine has a 33.1 freq 5 and a 33.1 freq 33 (and a clear QAM listing that has no guide data). Highlighting the channel should give you the frequency. I had to manually uncheck the freq 5 and check the freq 33. That gave me the solid signal strength.

And yes, I do get some channel 0's. I sometimes get Bravo HD and others on there (Brighthouse), but it hops so frequently I've given up. I only really use the clear QAM for the networks (13-1, 33-1 etc) that Brighthouse has mapped at the callsigns when the antenna fails. It's always interesting to hop through the clear QAM's on the tivo, as it picks up so much noise (probably encrypted noise) that I never know what I'm gonna get.

Thanks for your help but still no luck. As noted before, I did have both frequencies (5.x and 33.x) for 33.1 and 33.2 showing in my channel listing briefly. And I was careful to delete the 5.x frequency leaving only 33.x.

Furthermore, I re-performed by guided setup last night for "Antenna Only" (primarily to facilitate quicker scans) which downloaded new info and performed a full antenna scan. Still 0% signal for frequency 33.x.

I'm wondering if my issue relates only to distance or perhaps to direction and conflicts with WABM and WIAT nearby frequencies (on 36.x and 30.x respectively)?

The Red Mtn towers are at 245 degrees, 2 miles from my home and obviously are shown as "green" (small indoor antenna OK) at TVFool.com. The Tuscaloosa towers are 270 degrees and 37 miles and are shown as "red" (might need roof-top antenna).

Again, I had reliable signal once WCFT boosted their 5.1 signal after the analog shutdown but the new UHF signal is not getting through - either because of distance (but why no issue for VHF?) or conflicts with the stronger WABM and WIAT signals.

I'll update my findings once I go up to the attic to turn my antenna towards 270 degrees (directly at Tuscaloosa). I might also hook up an old Samsung OTA tuner to see if my issue is within the Tivo box / settings.
post #4387 of 4728 Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Do you get WDBB17-1? It's coming from the same location.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4388 of 4728 Old 11-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Do you get WDBB17-1? It's coming from the same location.

- Trip

Some signal for 17.1 is recognized but not enough to get a picture.
post #4389 of 4728 Old 11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Some signal for 17.1 is recognized but not enough to get a picture.

Sounds like you need more antenna in that direction. If you can't get WDBB 17-1, whose signal is probably slightly stronger, you are unlikely to get WCFT 33-1.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4390 of 4728 Old 11-05-2009, 06:12 AM

Well, I did rotate the antenna towards the Tuscaloosa towers and I'm now able to tune in 17.1 with about 70% strength and a reliable picture. My Tivo can now at least register a signal for 33.1 but it is not sufficient to lock in (0-30%).

When I have time, I'll rotate it more broadly (will have to detach and reinstall to get more clearance in attic) to see if I can increase 33.1. However, I may pursue 9.1 instead as I currently have 50-60% strength for it but no picture (the Tivo diagnostics indicates signal lock but not program lock). Fortunately, my Red Mtn signals appear unaffected by the minor rotation done so far.

Frustrating.

This antenna was installed 6 years ago and I've been using it to watch Red Mtn OTA HD since. After a few brief months of being able to finally view ABC via a boosted VHF signal, I'm now back to the same game of trying to get ABC at all. Heck, I thought it was going to dramatically improve.
post #4391 of 4728 Old 11-10-2009, 09:48 PM

Anyone out there getting WJSU-DT (9.1 mapped to 40.1) with a Tivo HD?

Subsequent to my last post, I relocated my CM 4228 antenna within the attic to try to get 40.1. I am now able to get signal strength of 81-83% and SNR of 26-27db for that channel but no picture.

When I check the Tivo's diagnostics screen, it indicates "Yes" for signal lock but "No" for program lock. Also, the PCR, Audio and Video PID's are blank. Otherwise, the diagnostics for that channel are similar to those channels that work properly.

For some reason, it seems that the TivoHD is not compatible with the WJSU's HD broadcast. Before I call Tivo support, I just wanted to see if anyone else has this problem.
post #4392 of 4728 Old 11-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Does anyone know the full run through of channels like a full complete list like this 69.1 68 wabm
69.2 21 wtto
75.3 espn
77.5 espn2
90.1 nbc
90.2 fox
92.1 cbs
92.2 abc
92.4 apt

I am getting tons more HD channels in but would like a complete list if anyone has it, it would greatly appreciated!!! just bought new tv and found it! I live in the north shelby county area indian springs!!! thanks!!!!
post #4393 of 4728 Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 AM

Here is a quick list that I did the other day, this is from the Mountain Brook area.

69.1 MY 68
69.2 CW21 HD
69.3 ION
75.2 CBS 42.2 Untamed Sports
75.3 ESPN HD
75.5 APT
77.4 Game Show Network
77.5 ESPN2 HD
81.1 MLB Network
82.1 QVC
85.4 JTV
85.5 C-SPAN2
87.9 Pay Per View Previews
89.5 - 89.50 Music Choice Channels
90.1 NBC13 HD
90.2 FOX6 HD
90.3 ABC33/40 Weather
90.11 RTV
93.1 CBS42 HD
93.2 ABC33/40 HD
93.4 APT HD
99 TV Guide Network
100.8 Soap Network
100.11 G4
101.1 EWTN
101.2 INSP
101.13 Disney XD
101.14 MLB Network
103.2 We HD
post #4394 of 4728 Old 12-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Anyone out there getting WJSU-DT (9.1 mapped to 40.1) with a Tivo HD?...I am now able to get signal strength of 81-83% and SNR of 26-27db for that channel but no picture...For some reason, it seems that the TivoHD is not compatible with the WJSU's HD broadcast. Before I call Tivo support, I just wanted to see if anyone else has this problem.

An update in case others use TivoHD:

In the past, Tivo would contact the broadcaster and request modifications to the broadcast. When I called, Tivo eventually responded that they would set me up as a beta tester in order to get a beta software version that would be able to receive / process the signal (i.e. be more lenient with respect to noncompliance with the exact standard). I've been waiting for the beta software and I still don't think I've received it (no change in the indicated version when I check the system info), but I just started to received WJSU DT last night. I have program lock and the appropriate PID's.

Thus, either I'm running the beta version or WJSU modified its signal. If you have a TivoHD and you've been unable to get WJSU DT, you might want to rescan.
post #4395 of 4728 Old 01-13-2010, 07:12 AM

digduggler,

You've previously mentioned that BH had mapped all HD locals to their call sign (33.1, 13.1, etc.) with the exception of Fox. If that is still the case, is WBRC-DT carried in the clear by BH and, if so, what is the assigned channel?

I'm trying to verbally help a buddy tune in clear QAM channels on his first HD display.

Thanks.
post #4396 of 4728 Old 01-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:

digduggler,

You've previously mentioned that BH had mapped all HD locals to their call sign (33.1, 13.1, etc.) with the exception of Fox. If that is still the case, is WBRC-DT carried in the clear by BH and, if so, what is the assigned channel?

I'm trying to verbally help a buddy tune in clear QAM channels on his first HD display.

Thanks.

I am not sure exactly what you mean, but I get Fox on 6.1

Tim
post #4397 of 4728 Old 01-14-2010, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
WVTM-TV NBC13HD will interrupt over-the-air transmission for several hours starting late Thursday night. Programming will not be interrupted to all viewers of WVTM-TV NBC13HD.

Work on our digital television antennae is expected to interrupt over-the-air transmission between the hours of 11:35 p.m. on the night of Thursday, Jan. 14 and 4:30 a.m. on the morning of Friday, Jan. 15. The over-the-air transmission must be interrupted to complete this important work and ensure the safety of the tower crew.

Subscribers of Charter Cable, Bright House Cable, and AT&T U-verse will not experience an interruption in programming from WVTM-TV NBC13HD or from Retro Television Network. Subscribers of Direct TV and Dish Network will see no interruption of programming from WVTM-TV NBC13HD.
Viewers who receive over-the-air transmission of WVTM-TV NBC13HD (13.1) and Retro Television Network (13.2) and subscribers of approximately 40 percent of cable systems in the Birmingham area will see an interruption of programming during that overnight period while the work is being completed.

Full transmission of programming will be restored to all viewers as soon as the technical work is completed.

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
post #4398 of 4728 Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post

I am not sure exactly what you mean, but I get Fox on 6.1

Tim

You're getting that on Brighthouse cable?
post #4399 of 4728 Old 01-14-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:

You're getting that on Brighthouse cable?

Ah, I knew I was missing something. No, I get it as a broadcast signal.

Sorry.

Tim
post #4400 of 4728 Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bama View Post

WVTM-TV NBC13HD will interrupt over-the-air transmission for several hours starting late Thursday night. Programming will not be interrupted to all viewers of WVTM-TV NBC13HD.

Work on our digital television antennae is expected to interrupt over-the-air transmission between the hours of 11:35 p.m. on the night of Thursday, Jan. 14 and 4:30 a.m. on the morning of Friday, Jan. 15. The over-the-air transmission must be interrupted to complete this important work and ensure the safety of the tower crew.

I hope they make some improvements. Channel 13 causes us all kinds of reception problems and, unfortunately, it is my wife's favorite channel. She forced us to mal-adjust the antenna for most of our stations just so she could get acceptable reception of channel 13.

Tim
post #4401 of 4728 Old 01-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:

digduggler,

Thanks.

Hmm, I just did another scan and they still aren't bringing in 6.1 at the callsign. Everything else is though. I have an antenna, so I haven't been that proactive about locating it. By law they have to put it in the clear (although by law they have to support cc and they dont give the best support for that), but as you might know when you scan with a Tivo you get a lot of junk and I haven't sifted through it. It's definitely not at 6.1 though (and since it's not at 6.1, I have no confidence it would stay wherever I found it anyway). Sorry.
post #4402 of 4728 Old 01-14-2010, 01:17 PM

Thanks for response digduggler. I guess my buddy would just need to flip through every scanned digital channel if he really wanted to find it. I've encouraged him to stick an antenna in the attic but he gives me that typical look we've all seen from those unfamiliar with OTA HD.

Tim, I share your hopes for 13.1. However, I have to admit they have improved over the last 6 years.
post #4403 of 4728 Old 01-15-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Tim, I share your hopes for 13.1. However, I have to admit they have improved over the last 6 years.

We got much better reception of 13.1 before the June, 2009 mandated cutover.

Tim
post #4404 of 4728 Old 01-15-2010, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Back in the old days in 2005, when I first got my HDtv, I bought a 4 bay bowtie outside UHF antenna and got all of the local TV stations from my house in Bluff Park. I don't use the antenna now since I have hundreds of channels with Uverse. We have a tv in the guest bedroom that isn't connected to Uverse so I ran a wire from the antenna to it. I only get channels 6, 21, and 68. Before I ran the antenna wire, I tried some old rabbit ears and got 6,7,10,13,21,40,42,and 68. You would think the outside antenna would do better, but no. I would leave the rabbit ears myself, but the wife doesn't like how they look, so I guess a newer antenna with VHF is in my future.
post #4405 of 4728 Old 01-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaker View Post

Back in the old days in 2005, when I first got my HDtv, I bought a 4 bay bowtie outside UHF antenna and got all of the local TV stations from my house in Bluff Park. I don't use the antenna now since I have hundreds of channels with Uverse. We have a tv in the guest bedroom that isn't connected to Uverse so I ran a wire from the antenna to it. I only get channels 6, 21, and 68. Before I ran the antenna wire, I tried some old rabbit ears and got 6,7,10,13,21,40,42,and 68. You would think the outside antenna would do better, but no. I would leave the rabbit ears myself, but the wife doesn't like how they look, so I guess a newer antenna with VHF is in my future.

I wonder if the attic antenna could be causing an overload situation since you're in Bluff Park. You're already pretty much line of sight to the TV towers on Red Mountain.
post #4406 of 4728 Old 01-17-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:

I hope they make some improvements. Channel 13 causes us all kinds of reception problems and, unfortunately, it is my wife's favorite channel. She forced us to mal-adjust the antenna for most of our stations just so she could get acceptable reception of channel 13.

Tim

Ah, the reception does seem to be better after Thursday night's maintenance. I haven't noticed any digital dropouts on 13.1 since then.

So now, I want to readjust my antenna, to see if I can get better reception of the other stations without degrading 13.1. We currently have the antenna aimed at the side of a mountain, apparently catching a bounce of the signal. It is pointing about 45 degrees off of where it should be pointing.

Tim
post #4407 of 4728 Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 PM

Does anyone have trouble getting NBC 13 OTA? I can pick up Fox 6, CBS 42, CW, and ABC 3340 flawless .. but can't even get a hint of NBC 13. When I used OTA a couple years ago, I couldn't ever get 3340 but COULD get NBC 13. Its kind of switched on me.

I could never really receive PBS or Channel 68 or those channels. I live in Sumiton which is right on the Walker/Jefferson County line. Is there something I am missing about getting NBC 13?
post #4408 of 4728 Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders4617 View Post

Does anyone have trouble getting NBC 13 OTA? I can pick up Fox 6, CBS 42, CW, and ABC 3340 flawless .. but can't even get a hint of NBC 13. When I used OTA a couple years ago, I couldn't ever get 3340 but COULD get NBC 13. Its kind of switched on me.

I could never really receive PBS or Channel 68 or those channels. I live in Sumiton which is right on the Walker/Jefferson County line. Is there something I am missing about getting NBC 13?

As I said in a couple of earlier posts, NBC 13 has caused me the most problems, too. I cannot get it well by pointing my antenna toward it, I have it aimed about 45 degrees to the east - I think I am picking up a bounce off of a mountain ridge.

My specifics will do you no good, though, because I am 25 miles to the south and you are probably 20 miles to the northwest of them. All I can suggest is trying to rotate your antenna in different directions by trial and error. The problem with that is you might find a direction where you get 13 perfectly, but mess up all the other channels.

Tim
post #4409 of 4728 Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:

As I said in a couple of earlier posts, NBC 13 has caused me the most problems, too. I cannot get it well by pointing my antenna toward it, I have it aimed about 45 degrees to the east - I think I am picking up a bounce off of a mountain ridge.

My specifics will do you no good, though, because I am 25 miles to the south and you are probably 20 miles to the northwest of them. All I can suggest is trying to rotate your antenna in different directions by trial and error. The problem with that is you might find a direction where you get 13 perfectly, but mess up all the other channels.

Tim

VHF is generally bad news for DT. Like Birmingham, we had one station down here in Montgomery that stayed on VHF. It is very difficult to impossible to receive with a indoor antenna.
post #4410 of 4728 Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Liked: 11
Over the past few weeks it appears the HD channels on my Charter service in Hoover (Russet Woods area) are all getting bad about macroblocking and very slight freezing. I re-boot my SA 8300HD box, but that does not do any good.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page