AVS Forum banner

Birmingham, AL - HDTV

555K views 5K replies 360 participants last post by  bmorgan 
#1 ·
Since the Red Tower thread was several hundred pages and two years old, I have started this new official thread. Please post all comments related to Birmingham, AL (and surrounding areas) digital television issues here.

#3,677 ·
A&E's real HD content seems hit or miss. I swear sometimes a program will air in HD then rerun later in "stretch-o-vision". A&E and History both, unfortunately, stretch SD content which is horrible looking. The MTV you guys are getting, that's MHD right? It's content from MTV, VH-1 and CMT.

#3,678 ·
The MHD stuff, once the severe macro blocking was cleared up, looks like a series of high quality concert footage from popular groups. Rascal Flats was on this morning and they had what I assumed to be a great rocumentary on The Who last night, but I could not see it for all the groovy interference. Perhaps for The Who the psychedelic effects were on purpose designed to induce a flash back. ;-)

Looking at the description it would appear, as you surmise, to feature stuff from MTV, VH1 and CMT. The quality was 1080i and almost a good as the Discovery HD theatre.

#3,679 ·
I've been using my DVI version 8300HD for 3 years now. I saw the HDMI version that my inlaws recently installed in their house. They are using the component outputs. I was wondering, is the HDMI active on the new boxes? I've just bought a new 42" LCD to put in another room and I'm going to order another HD-DVR from charter. I'm assuming the 8300 is still the only choice? I'm going to do some in wall cable runs so I'm trying to plan cable purchases and I need to know if I should go with the HDMI or the component. If the HDMI is inactive then its an easy choice. Thanks, Brian.

#3,680 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo /forum/post/12180643

A&E's real HD content seems hit or miss. I swear sometimes a program will air in HD then rerun later in "stretch-o-vision". A&E and History both, unfortunately, stretch SD content which is horrible looking. The MTV you guys are getting, that's MHD right? It's content from MTV, VH-1 and CMT.

The reason for the upconvert sd on the history and A&E is that there was a fire about 2 months ago at the uplinked center for these channles plus the NFL network hd channel. Sometimes even with true hd they still stretch it. Before the fire if it was not in hd it was shown 4:3 ratio.

#3,681 ·
Does anyone know if this thread (Birmingham, AL - HDTV) has an active RSS feed? It seems that the root of Local HDTV Info and Reception has a feed but that includes all the local threads. I was hoping you could subscribe to the local threads individually. Does anyone know if this is possible?

#3,682 ·
Hey all -

I'm over in the Trussville area, off of Chalkville Mtn Road a couple miles from 59. I get great reception with Fox, PBS, CW, CBS, and UPN. However, I get absolutely nothing digital from ABC. I do not have an outdoor antenna as I live in an apartment, but as mentioned all of the other channels come in perfectly.

Any tips on coaxing that ABC HD signal to come through solidly through my antenna? Should I reposition something? Etc, I'd love any help regarding this.

Thanks!

#3,683 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimote /forum/post/12220349

Hey all -

I'm over in the Trussville area, off of Chalkville Mtn Road a couple miles from 59. I get great reception with Fox, PBS, CW, CBS, and UPN. However, I get absolutely nothing digital from ABC. I do not have an outdoor antenna as I live in an apartment, but as mentioned all of the other channels come in perfectly.

Any tips on coaxing that ABC HD signal to come through solidly through my antenna? Should I reposition something? Etc, I'd love any help regarding this.

Thanks!

ABC33 transmitter is near T-town and transmits on VHF channel (5 I think) and ABC40 transmitter is near Anniston and transmits on VHF channel 9.

Without an outside antenna with a rotor you may not get either one of the ABC33/40 signals. Also keep in mind that many stations will change channel assignments for DTV in early 2009.

#3,684 ·
Hi

New poster here!

I am getting NBC13 via DISH and all seemed well but I have noticed on the HD channel I get sporadic and quite often black outs. The video just .....well, skips or drop frames or something that's hard to explain. It for a blink just goes black.

On the SD channel it's fine and I do not see this on any other channel but the NBC from B'ham and in HD only.

Friday Night lights had what seemed like one every minute or so and it's annoying to say the least.

Last night I noticed it replaying ER so tonight I knew to check FNL 'live' to be sure it was not a recording issue. I was recording via duel tuners both CBS HD and NBC HD at 8 PM and the CBS HD (Moonlight) looks fine, no skips or video issues but Friday Night Lights was like ER was last night with blackouts like flashes. I also had my old 522 recording friday night lights on the SD channel and it's perfect from start to finish.

I hope it's a temporary fluke but I have had HD since feb 96 with the DISH 622 and I have seen a lot but this ones new to me and I can't make the other HD channels on that spotbeam do this 'blackout' effect.....confused!

Thanks and if anyone else has seen this yell

Tiger

#3,685 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigershere /forum/post/12241735

Hi

New poster here!

I am getting NBC13 via DISH and all seemed well but I have noticed on the HD channel I get sporadic and quite often black outs. The video just .....well, skips or drop frames or something that's hard to explain. It for a blink just goes black.

On the SD channel it's fine and I do not see this on any other channel but the NBC from B'ham and in HD only.

Friday Night lights had what seemed like one every minute or so and it's annoying to say the least.

Last night I noticed it replaying ER so tonight I knew to check FNL 'live' to be sure it was not a recording issue. I was recording via duel tuners both CBS HD and NBC HD at 8 PM and the CBS HD (Moonlight) looks fine, no skips or video issues but Friday Night Lights was like ER was last night with blackouts like flashes. I also had my old 522 recording friday night lights on the SD channel and it's perfect from start to finish.

I hope it's a temporary fluke but I have had HD since feb 96 with the DISH 622 and I have seen a lot but this ones new to me and I can't make the other HD channels on that spotbeam do this 'blackout' effect.....confused!

Thanks and if anyone else has seen this yell

Tiger

The problem in NBC13 signal OTA and D* has the same drops.

#3,686 ·
Thanks beamur!

I googled and scanned here and didn't see my exact issue but it was real late when I looked.

I will use SD until it's fixed I guess and i could be wrong but shows that were not true HD or in 16/9 were not doing it or it was not bad. That Deal or No Deal show that was on before FNL didn't seem to have the drops but the two 16/9 after it did

Then again I am new to the area and am just learning my channels and what to expect

Thanks again

Tiger

#3,688 ·
I hope that doesn't result in the new owner simulcasting a stupid weather subchannel or otherwise degrading what has to date been great PQ on Fox.

Anyone else have audio sync problems throughout yesterday on ABC HD (via Dish at least). It was off not only for the national broadcasts but also local ads.

#3,689 ·
I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone here have Brighthouse? My parents are moving and I am trying to figure out if they should upgrade their DirecTV or switch to Brighthouse. They have an old HR10-250 so they would need new equipment to get the new DirecTV HD channels. From looking at Brighthouse's website, they offer very little in HD. Anyone know if this will change?

#3,695 ·
Did anyone else have problems with ESPN and TNT HD this weekend? TNT looked horrible with red radiation on fast moving parts and one of the ESPN HD channels just sat on a grey box for hours. There were numerous audio and video problem during the Alabama game..I guess that could have originated in Auburn.

#3,698 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bham Slugger /forum/post/12298429

Any news at all on the possibility of Charter coming to an agreement with the Big Ten Network? If they do come to an agreement, would it be picked up here?

Here is a link with some info on Charter's position. http://www.charter.com/visitors/general.aspx?ownerid=10

I think Charter will stand firm and will not add the Big Ten Network to the expanded basic lineup.

Regards.

#3,701 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter_hsd /forum/post/12316789

Here is a link with some info on Charter's position. http://www.charter.com/visitors/general.aspx?ownerid=10

I think Charter will stand firm and will not add the Big Ten Network to the expanded basic lineup.

Regards.

While in theory I do not disagree with Charter's stance, it unfortunately hurts them (and other cable companies) because competitors are not taking the same stance.

I know many people who have switched to the satellites for this very reason. I soon may be one of them. Charter may argue that giving in will raise prices in the long run and cause more suscribers to jump, but it seems to me between the advancement of HD lineups, they are behind the eight ball either way they go. Charter wants to give people choice, yet we don't have complete choice. I am not interested in many channels in the expanded basic lineup.

The bottom line is I am looking for an opportunity to switch. Right now the driving force behind that is the lack of the Big Ten Network. I know I am in the wrong part of the country for my stance to hold much water, but Charter's position is not based on geography. It's just too bad that the consumer gets caught in the middle of this pissing match. And since there is an alternative to avoid it all, it is just a matter of time before I pull the trigger. I'm sure I won't be alone.