Birmingham, AL - HDTV - Page 151 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4501 of 4733 Old 09-30-2010, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else noticed the audio screwing up again on ABC 33/40 out of Birmingham? It is happening during HD Programing and involves the 5.1
Audio. The center channel is non existent and is coming out of the .1 sub channel or at least trying to. This same thing was happening a few months ago and several confirmed it on here. I switched to my OTA ANTENNA in the attic from my Direc TV and was getting the same result. On every other channel the 5.1 audio is fine I called and spoke with their engineer and he said he would look into it last week but everything was the same last night a week later. He did say that they are about to put a tower in Birmingham that would be broadcasting UHF to improve reception. He also said there were no plans to go HD on their broadcast. The company that owns them must be completely broke like a joke. I know not everyone watches in 5.1 audio but I would imagine many do especially those that would take time to be on this board. Last night the audio from the tv speakers were ok it was just the 5.1 audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4733 Old 09-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'll DVR the news tonight and see what's up.

From what I've heard, the company that owns ABC 33/40 is a real cheapskate operation. I was kind of under the wishful impression that they were readying an HD newscast because of the new graphic pillar bars they throw up during the newscasts. Guess I got my hopes up for nothing.

As for the "tower" in Birmingham, they must be referring to their low power outlet on analog channel 58, WBMA-LP. They have a permit to go to digital on channel 11 with just 300 watts. There's an application that hasn't been approved yet, to move to RF channel 40, with a lot more power. That must be what he was talking about.

Looking at their coverage maps, I'd think all of the metro could get a decent signal from 33 from Tuscaloosa or 9 from Anniston.
post #4503 of 4733 Old 09-30-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

I'll DVR the news tonight and see what's up.

From what I've heard, the company that owns ABC 33/40 is a real cheapskate operation. I was kind of under the wishful impression that they were readying an HD newscast because of the new graphic pillar bars they throw up during the newscasts. Guess I got my hopes up for nothing.

As for the "tower" in Birmingham, they must be referring to their low power outlet on analog channel 58, WBMA-LP. They have a permit to go to digital on channel 11 with just 300 watts. There's an application that hasn't been approved yet, to move to RF channel 40, with a lot more power. That must be what he was talking about.

Looking at their coverage maps, I'd think all of the metro could get a decent signal from 33 from Tuscaloosa or 9 from Anniston.

Don't DVR the news it is on primetime programming or things that are going nationwide. There seems to be an error between downloading the signal from abc and then rebroadcasting it over their towers. The engineer acted like it was An error from the national feed. I doubt everyone in America is having this problem because it is unbearable to listen to as my sub sounds
Like it is going to expload with the center channel trying to come out of the sub.
post #4504 of 4733 Old 09-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev4Bama View Post

Don't DVR the news it is on primetime programming or things that are going nationwide. There seems to be an error between downloading the signal from abc and then rebroadcasting it over their towers. The engineer acted like it was An error from the national feed. I doubt everyone in America is having this problem because it is unbearable to listen to as my sub sounds
Like it is going to expload with the center channel trying to come out of the sub.

Oops, my mistake.

Tell ya what, if I get home before prime time is over, I'll do an A-B comparison with 33/40 and my local ABC affiliate.
post #4505 of 4733 Old 09-30-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Oops, my mistake.

Tell ya what, if I get home before prime time is over, I'll do an A-B comparison with 33/40 and my local ABC affiliate.

Thanks I appreciate it alot. It sucks because the only way I can bear to watch is to switch my receiver to PCM from DD 5.1
post #4506 of 4733 Old 10-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks I appreciate it alot. It sucks because the only way I can bear to watch is to switch my receiver to PCM from DD 5.1

Hate to say it but I fell asleep before prime time. The only thing I had to reference was the World News program, and the audio was proper on both ABC 33/40 via D* and my local affiliate OTA.
post #4507 of 4733 Old 10-01-2010, 10:49 AM

That's ok if you get a chance check some programming tonight or some football games this weekend. I talked to Ron the engineer and he asked me to check Oprah and Wheel of Fortune locally since They are local programs. I told Ron you would be able to check both affiliates and he said that would help alot.
post #4508 of 4733 Old 10-01-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Kevin. How about asking Ron if 33/40 as any plans for local news going hd.
Thanks!
post #4509 of 4733 Old 10-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's ok if you get a chance check some programming tonight or some football games this weekend. I talked to Ron the engineer and he asked me to check Oprah and Wheel of Fortune locally since They are local programs. I told Ron you would be able to check both affiliates and he said that would help alot.

I'll be out of town this weekend, but I caught the first several minutes of Modern Family. The center channel was definitely there. If anything, the front left/right speakers seemed to be unusually quiet. .1 and rear channels were present during the show's theme music, so they work.

My local station's audio did sound different, like they were broadcasting the center channel audio through L/R/C channels in the front. It was much more spread out on dialogue. In fact it reminded me of that tacky SRS fake surround from years ago.

Hope that helps…
post #4510 of 4733 Old 10-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

BTW I did some snooping and it would appear that the only major Allbritton station doing HD newscasts is WJLA in Washington DC. The next biggest market is Harrisburg, followed by Birmingham, then Little Rock. Neither Harrisburg nor Little Rock have HD newscasts.
post #4511 of 4733 Old 10-01-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Kevin. How about asking Ron if 33/40 as any plans for local news going hd.
Thanks!

I did the other day and he said that there are no plans at this time.
post #4512 of 4733 Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

That stinks.

It's funny watching The Zone with all of those flat panels in the background showing sd. LOL
post #4513 of 4733 Old 10-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Hello, all.

I am happy to run across this forum.

Is there any group of audio/video hobbyists in the Birmingham area?
I am afraid i have many questions and tracking down the answers is not so easy. information sources are hard to come by.

more to the point of this thread....who around here can help out on TVs that give a good picture on OTA broadcasts? Current programming is great, but older syndicated shows are full of artifacts (at least on my TV). It looks like a processing problem within the TV, but could it be intrinsic to the signal?

Thanks
post #4514 of 4733 Old 10-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevielee View Post

Hello, all.

I am happy to run across this forum.

Is there any group of audio/video hobbyists in the Birmingham area?
I am afraid i have many questions and tracking down the answers is not so easy. information sources are hard to come by.

more to the point of this thread....who around here can help out on TVs that give a good picture on OTA broadcasts? Current programming is great, but older syndicated shows are full of artifacts (at least on my TV). It looks like a processing problem within the TV, but could it be intrinsic to the signal?

Thanks

I connect my OTA input to my Dish VIP622 DVR and it treats OTA signals very similar to satellite delivered signals. The on-screen-guide lists all the programs, times, etc, and they can be one-click recorded just like satellite channels.

The OTA HD looks as good, if not better, than the same program viewed via a satellite channel.

I use the HDMI output from the Dish receiver to my TV (a 52" RCA) and have no artifacts on any of the channels, whether from OTA or from satellite.

So, if you're using your TV's built-in tuner to watch OTA then that may be the source of your artifacts...

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
post #4515 of 4733 Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just found out today that 33-40 is finally going to buy some HD equipment for local HD broadcasting. Probably be early 2011 when they go HD.
post #4516 of 4733 Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 PM

On Friday October 29, 2010, 5:18 pm

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Broadcaster Fox and satellite TV provider Dish came to terms on Friday, ending a blackout of several cable channels including FX and 19 regional sports networks to 14.3 million Dish customers that began at the start of the month.

The deal between the unit of News Corp. and Dish Network Corp. comes two days before their agreement for Fox's broadcast signals expired. The agreement means Dish customers will be able to watch baseball's World Series on their own TV sets.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. But the companies said it was wide-ranging and long term.

Meanwhile, signals from Fox broadcast stations remain blacked out to some 3 million Cablevision subscribers in the New York area. That standoff has gone on since Oct. 16.

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
post #4517 of 4733 Old 10-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaker View Post

Just found out today that 33-40 is finally going to buy some HD equipment for local HD broadcasting. Probably be early 2011 when they go HD.

That figures, I am no longer in the market.

In other news… I read a report saying that WTTO has picked up The Country Network on 21.2. Can anyone confirm it's on air?

I'm in Mobile and it was just added to Sinclar station WFGX here.
post #4518 of 4733 Old 10-30-2010, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

That figures, I am no longer in the market.

In other news I read a report saying that WTTO has picked up The Country Network on 21.2. Can anyone confirm it's on air?

I'm in Mobile and it was just added to Sinclar station WFGX here.

It is on 21.2 & 17.2.
post #4519 of 4733 Old 10-31-2010, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the OTA performance advice, 4bama....maybe the next four weekends will go well for the Tide.

Anyhoo......4bama's observation parallels what I have heard elsewhere....that things change when sending the OTA signal from the antenna into a box like a satellite STB or receiver or other processor. It seems like the processing in the box provides an output signal over HDMI that looks fine. It would help to know if anyone is getting good results when using the TV's antenna input directly. This could isolate the problem. And I have had poor results with composite and component as well..they are full of artifacts.

One thing I am curious about with all of you local people is in regards to the different OTA stations here in Birmingham. Most of the current primetime shows here look great on OTA....like live sports or The Mentalist or The Event....you get the idea. But it seems that even some primetime shows look bad...this is especially common with those that are in 4:3 aspect ratio....and a number of things on the ABC affiliate. Any ideas? Could it be due to the lower resolution....at least in the case of 33/40.

Also, is anyone using a Channel Master D/A converter (CM7000 I think) for their old tube TV? Can you trust the on-screen readout that tells you the station's reolution?

Thanks...

Steven
post #4520 of 4733 Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 AM

Right now, satellite providers are trying to make room on their limited transponders/bandwidth to carry PBS HD channels in major markets. Many markets now have PBS HD available...a certain percentage was mandated by the FCC, with a phase-in time period of several years.

Like many states, Alabama has APT (Alabama Public Television) which carries PBS, plus many locally produced programs.

However, all APT stations carry the exact same programming from a single source and do not have any "station unique" programs.

It seems to me that Dish should be allowed to broadcast just one HD channel for APT for the entire state, instead of carrying several stations scattered around the state, all showing the exact programming...

Right now, each station is carried in SD for their market....makes no sense to chew up bandwidth just to see a different station ID in different markets...

Just my opinion....any others?

post #4521 of 4733 Old 12-07-2010, 06:51 AM

If things haven't changed since I last saw, don't all of the APT stations show the same station IDs at the top of the hour? There is a listing of all of the stations, regardless of which transmitter the broadcast originates from. The broadcasts are all a simulcast.

If they have the capacity to do it and either a spot beam that covers the entire state or use national capacity to accomplish it, Dish Network could broadcast one feed of APT HD to the entire state which is then used in each market. The program guide data can map that single feed to a different channel number and call sign in each market. DirecTV does this in a few markets in the Carolinas with their PBS affiliates UNC TV and ETV.
post #4522 of 4733 Old 12-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

That's right — APT uses a combined ID at the top of the hour. There's no reason they couldn't be carried on the satellite providers just once and mirrored. Of course with different transponders serving different parts of the state, that isn't possible.

I know DirecTV in Mississippi must have carried MPB on a conus channel because it was available statewide, regardless of whether or not DirecTV had locals in that market. I was able to get MPB SD but nothing else when there.
post #4523 of 4733 Old 12-25-2010, 03:33 PM

Saw on my reciever on 6-1 important info regarding this channel just saw on their website( Fox6) that they don't have an agreement with DirecTV and they may stop streaming them as of Dec 31@ midnight They say they dont but Fox 6 is demanding more $ and Directv is telling them to shove it.
post #4524 of 4733 Old 12-25-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep. Saw it on a scroll today about Fox 6. It is getting almost ridiculous to have any provider. Once you get comfortable a new contract negotiation comes up. We the consumer ends up suffering in the end. I can't get OTA and I am in the middle of my Directv contract.
post #4525 of 4733 Old 12-25-2010, 09:04 PM

I would say at the current moment they are seeing who can whiz higher on the wall. It will get worked out in the end im sure it usually does.
post #4526 of 4733 Old 12-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

I don't understand why anyone should have to foot the bill to carry over-the-air broadcast stations because traditionally they were required to be carried under must carry rules, and also… most people can (even if they don't want to) get them OTA for free.

Why should anyone pay extra to see Fox 6 or any other local station when most people can get them for free with a cheap antenna?
post #4527 of 4733 Old 12-26-2010, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Any Bright House people in this thread?

I'm just wondering.

Thanks!
post #4528 of 4733 Old 12-26-2010, 04:41 PM

I am sure this is explained somewhere, but seemed easier just to ask. I purchased a new TV for my dad for Christmas and it has a QAM tuner. This is his bedroom tv and he does not really want a set top box. He has charter. In scanning for channels we got the hd channels for the four local networks without a set top box. Is that all he can get or can he get espn etc in hd. He will be fine with just the main four but of course would like to get them all if he can without a set top box. A short explanation would be appreciated.
post #4529 of 4733 Old 12-27-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz99 View Post

I am sure this is explained somewhere, but seemed easier just to ask. I purchased a new TV for my dad for Christmas and it has a QAM tuner. This is his bedroom tv and he does not really want a set top box. He has charter. In scanning for channels we got the hd channels for the four local networks without a set top box. Is that all he can get or can he get espn etc in hd. He will be fine with just the main four but of course would like to get them all if he can without a set top box. A short explanation would be appreciated.

ESPN and ESPN2 was available on QAM until about a year ago. Now you get the 4 locals and WTTO in HD over QAM.

Xbox Live ID Slick Tide 1

PS3 ID SlickTide1
post #4530 of 4733 Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz99 View Post

Expanded basic channels are scrambled so those with just basic cable don't get them without paying for them. You should also get PBS HD, ThisTv, Retro TV and any other basic tier channel offered in digital. Scan ever so often because more eventually every basic channel will be available in digital too.
http://www.myaccount.charter.com/cus...px?menuitem=63
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page