Birmingham, AL - HDTV - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4591 of 4668 Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yesterday during the NFL games a crawler at the bottom of the screen announced Dish Network customers are in danger of losing CBS42..

Contract dispute I suppose...check CBS42.com for details..

http://www.cbs42.com/mostpopular/sto...IKJy3v__g.cspx

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4668 Old 12-29-2011, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone spoken to anyone at APT about windowboxing? I guess they're doing it because cable companies and DirecTV/DISH are center cutting, but they don't do it consistently. Some programs (NOVA, Newshour, Frontline) are shown in 16x9 full screen, but others (especially APT produced content) that is produced in 16x9 will be pillarboxed which means on a 16x9 TV you get a window box. It doesn't prevent content getting cut on cable, because they don't pillarbox everything. It's kind of maddening to try to watch anything on APT because of this
post #4593 of 4668 Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 PM

Has anyone noticed a decrease in the signal level of channel 40-1 in the last week or so? We can no longer get it and I am wondering if I need to try to tweak my antenna or whether there is a problem at the broadcast tower.

Jeff Burleson
post #4594 of 4668 Old 12-30-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burl View Post

Has anyone noticed a decrease in the signal level of channel 40-1 in the last week or so? We can no longer get it and I am wondering if I need to try to tweak my antenna or whether there is a problem at the broadcast tower.

There is no problem with the tower, or change in transmitter power.
post #4595 of 4668 Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmur View Post

There is no problem with the tower, or change in transmitter power.

Thanks. Up to the attic i go:-)

Jeff Burleson
post #4596 of 4668 Old 01-02-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burl View Post

During the heavy rains early last week, I had noticed poor reception with both 40 and 58. Seems normal now for me.
post #4597 of 4668 Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 AM

Hi All,

I have two locations in Alabama that I would like to drop cable and try over the air. One location is in Tuscaloosa, AL, and the other is Sawyerville, AL.

Can anyone recommend what type of antenna would work to pickup major stations in Birmingham?

I also would like to know the total number of HD stations in Birmingham or surrounding counties.

Enclosed is my TV Signal Analysis for both locations.

Thanks.
LL
LL
post #4598 of 4668 Old 01-05-2012, 06:58 AM

Early this week Dish Network up-linked the HD channel for APT-10 to channel 6499, which is hidden at the moment, but should go "Live" within a week or so.

Dish normally tests new up-links for about a week before making them available to customers.

So, if you are a Dish customer and get Birmingham locals via Dish, look for APT-10 in HD very soon...it will be mapped down to channel 10 in your on-screen-guide.

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
post #4599 of 4668 Old 01-20-2012, 02:51 PM

The HD feed for APT is now live and mapped down to channel 10 for Dish Network customers.

That leaves CW-21 as the only B'ham local not in HD on Dish Network......and, WUOA, channel 23 in Tuscaloosa....not even sure if 23 has HD capability yet...

post #4600 of 4668 Old 01-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't think WUOA runs anything in HD. Their picture quality is so subpar they'd probably have to replace everything in the studio before they could even consider HD broadcasts of any kind.
post #4601 of 4668 Old 01-25-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

I don't think WUOA runs anything in HD. Their picture quality is so subpar they'd probably have to replace everything in the studio before they could even consider HD broadcasts of any kind.

True. However, I didn't realize that 23.1 was broadcast in 720p; it looks no better than a typical 480 sub-channel for 13.2, 42.2, etc.

I did finally realize (by hooking up a new display's OTA tuner) that 23.3 and 23.4 were public radio broadcasts. My Tivo had always indicated that those subchannels existed but I wasn't receiving anything on the Tivo.
post #4602 of 4668 Old 01-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmo View Post

True. However, I didn't realize that 23.1 was broadcast in 720p; it looks no better than a typical 480 sub-channel for 13.2, 42.2, etc.

I did finally realize (by hooking up a new display's OTA tuner) that 23.3 and 23.4 were public radio broadcasts. My Tivo had always indicated that those subchannels existed but I wasn't receiving anything on the Tivo.

Wow, I didn't realize they were doing 720p. Kind of a waste of bandwidth, considering the content. I have 23.4 listed as relaying WXPN (Exponential Radio, alternative/college type music). I don't know if that's accurate anymore or not; WUAL's HD broadcasts were off for a while last year so I don't know if they're still carrying that on their HD-2 or not. WUAL's HD-3 is BBC World Service.
post #4603 of 4668 Old 02-25-2012, 03:39 PM

This is probably old news, but just noticed we have an ABC station in Birmingham now, WBMA-LD is on 58.1. Out of Hoover, I get pretty good reception.
post #4604 of 4668 Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digduggler View Post

This is probably old news, but just noticed we have an ABC station in Birmingham now, WBMA-LD is on 58.1. Out of Hoover, I get pretty good reception.

Is the RF channel 40 or 11?
post #4605 of 4668 Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4606 of 4668 Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip

That's been on for a while, then. I am wondering if they're ever gonna build out their permit for channel 11.
post #4607 of 4668 Old 02-26-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They displaced the previously-held permit for 11 to channel 40. Since they do not hold a permit for 11, I'm not sure why they would build a channel 11.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4608 of 4668 Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 PM

Seems we have ABC options on 40, 33 and 9...
post #4609 of 4668 Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

They displaced the previously-held permit for 11 to channel 40. Since they do not hold a permit for 11, I'm not sure why they would build a channel 11.

- Trip

I wasn't aware of that. The FCC still shows the channel 11 construction permit on their site. Is this another case of the feds being way behind again?
post #4610 of 4668 Old 02-27-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Haha, the FCC TV Query can be off at times. I don't think a displacement of a displacement was a use case the FCC thought of!

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4611 of 4668 Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 AM

Hello all.

I'm just finding this forum and wanted to thank you guys for all the info.

I just got an indoor Mohu Leaf antenna a couple of days ago and it does really well at picking up the available stations except for ABC. Signal meter on the tv usually shows the strength between 50-65% for ABC and sometimes I get pretty good uninteruppted picture but it cuts out or pixelates pretty often. Is there anything I can do to strengthen that or should I just start looking for an outdoor antenna? Some other stations I noticed last night got a little pixely in bad weather. Is there any solution to that too or is that just how it is with OTA?
post #4612 of 4668 Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 AM

It's according to where you live and what you want to get. I live in the Bluff Park section of Hoover and to get all the local stations in any weather I have an outside antenna. Mine is about 6 feet long and on top of my house pointed towards the 33-40 tower in Cook Springs. Always a good signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmezz View Post

Hello all.

I just got an indoor Mohu Leaf antenna a couple of days ago and it does really well at picking up the available stations except for ABC. Signal meter on the tv usually shows the strength between 50-65% for ABC and sometimes I get pretty good uninteruppted picture but it cuts out or pixelates pretty often. Is there anything I can do to strengthen that or should I just start looking for an outdoor antenna? Some other stations I noticed last night got a little pixely in bad weather. Is there any solution to that too or is that just how it is with OTA?

post #4613 of 4668 Old 03-02-2012, 08:55 AM

Which ABC? I think there are three towers you could be getting it from.

Quote:

Hello all.

post #4614 of 4668 Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Which ABC? I think there are three towers you could be getting it from.

Thanks kodaker and dig.

I'm getting ABC 33/40 on 58-1 on my set. I'm not sure which tower that comes from.

I did some experimenting with my Leaf antenna and it seemed to get significantly better when I brought it out away from the wall and tv and raised the height of it too. I've only got the standard 6 foot cable it is attached to so I couldn't try many locations. I think I'm going to try buying 50 or so feet of cable and hang the leaf up in the attic and potentially drop cable down the wall behind the tv to see what it looks like then. The wife is not too keen on mounting it near the window across the room and then running a bunch of cable around the baseboards and doorway to the tv

If it gets good signal up there I can cut a hole in the wall and put in a coax hook up. If it doesn't I would like to find a stronger antenna I could put in the attic.
post #4615 of 4668 Old 03-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks kodaker and dig.

I'm getting ABC 33/40 on 58-1 on my set. I'm not sure which tower that comes from.

I did some experimenting with my Leaf antenna and it seemed to get significantly better when I brought it out away from the wall and tv and raised the height of it too. I've only got the standard 6 foot cable it is attached to so I couldn't try many locations. I think I'm going to try buying 50 or so feet of cable and hang the leaf up in the attic and potentially drop cable down the wall behind the tv to see what it looks like then. The wife is not too keen on mounting it near the window across the room and then running a bunch of cable around the baseboards and doorway to the tv

If it gets good signal up there I can cut a hole in the wall and put in a coax hook up. If it doesn't I would like to find a stronger antenna I could put in the attic.

I can only speak from personal experience but raising my antenna from ground level to the attic made all the difference in the world when I lived in rural Mississippi. I went from getting just one digital station occasionally to getting 3 and sometimes 4, and that was just with a set top cheapo amplified antenna. If you don't mind doing a little tinkering and knocking a little hole in the wall, it might be worth the effort to strengthen what you already get.

58-1 is coming from the low power repeater in Birmingham itself.
post #4616 of 4668 Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

I can only speak from personal experience but raising my antenna from ground level to the attic made all the difference in the world when I lived in rural Mississippi. I went from getting just one digital station occasionally to getting 3 and sometimes 4, and that was just with a set top cheapo amplified antenna. If you don't mind doing a little tinkering and knocking a little hole in the wall, it might be worth the effort to strengthen what you already get.

58-1 is coming from the low power repeater in Birmingham itself.

Thanks Tom. I think I'll give that a shot and even if that doesn't help and I need a stronger antenna I'll at least have some cable to run to it if I can make it work in the attic.

Thanks for the info about the repeater. The only ABC I saw for my location from AntennaWeb was from out to the east near Pell City. I found more info later on TVFool.
post #4617 of 4668 Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks Tom. I think I'll give that a shot and even if that doesn't help and I need a stronger antenna I'll at least have some cable to run to it if I can make it work in the attic.

Thanks for the info about the repeater. The only ABC I saw for my location from AntennaWeb was from out to the east near Pell City. I found more info later on TVFool.

I'll echo the suggestion to mount a good antenna in the attic. Though I live very close to the Birmingham towers (within 3 miles), I've always noticed a significant difference in stability of picture when comparing a simple indoor antenna to a more robust attic-mounted antenna (I use a CM 4228 8-bay).

Given my location, an indoor antenna located near my display will register good strength of signal but it will not be very stable. I don't gain much more signal strength by going to the attic-mounted antenna but it is extremely stable with no pixelating, except a small amount on ABC (58.1).

Re: ABC, I've always had some issue in receiving that network. 33 (Tuscaloosa Cty) is too far and seems to be overwhelmed by the Birmingham towers which are also west of me. Meanwhile, 40 (St Clair Cty) is essentially 180 degrees in the other direction. Thus, the new digital broadcast on 58 has been a welcome relief though still a bit marginal re: SNR.
post #4618 of 4668 Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmo View Post

I'll echo the suggestion to mount a good antenna in the attic. Though I live very close to the Birmingham towers (within 3 miles), I've always noticed a significant difference in stability of picture when comparing a simple indoor antenna to a more robust attic-mounted antenna (I use a CM 4228 8-bay).

Given my location, an indoor antenna located near my display will register good strength of signal but it will not be very stable. I don't gain much more signal strength by going to the attic-mounted antenna but it is extremely stable with no pixelating, except a small amount on ABC (58.1).

Re: ABC, I've always had some issue in receiving that network. 33 (Tuscaloosa Cty) is too far and seems to be overwhelmed by the Birmingham towers which are also west of me. Meanwhile, 40 (St Clair Cty) is essentially 180 degrees in the other direction. Thus, the new digital broadcast on 58 has been a welcome relief though still a bit marginal re: SNR.

Thanks slowmo that's good to know. I've ordered some cable so I'll try that out and see if it helps some but I understand what you're saying about the signal being stable so thank you for mentioning that as well.

It appears that I'm about 2 miles south of the towers. I had not considered that Channel Master it looks very good for an attic set up. Although it is a bit more expensive than I was hoping but still very reasonable. I was considereing a Winegard 7694p which appears more directional than the 4228 and much larger as well. I'll have to see what kind of space I have in the attic. It has been awhile since I've been up there. From my location I could pretty much just point whatever antenna I get almost straight north I believe.
post #4619 of 4668 Old 03-05-2012, 09:34 AM

I wasn't able to get ABC reliably until I got an outdoor antenna which I put on the side of my roof. I do get ABC 33.1 at 97% strength since then rather reliably (even in storms). I have a SquareShooter SS-2200, but there might be better models now.

I did write an article for my neighborhood about getting reception via antenna here, if it's of any use. Some here very well might be able to point out some things I got wrong
post #4620 of 4668 Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:

I wasn't able to get ABC reliably until I got an outdoor antenna which I put on the side of my roof. I do get ABC 33.1 at 97% strength since then rather reliably (even in storms). I have a SquareShooter SS-2200, but there might be better models now.

I did write an article for my neighborhood about getting reception via antenna here, if it's of any use. Some here very well might be able to point out some things I got wrong

Thanks dig! I'll have a look at that antenna. Thank you for the article write up as well. That was very helpful and its good to know that the SS-2200 will pick up some VHF too
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page