Birmingham, AL - HDTV - Page 158 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4711 of 4728 Old 09-30-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambrad View Post
So Far I have at times been able to pull in 8.1 CBS Montgomery, 19.1 CBS Huntsville, 32.1 ABC Montgomery and a religious channel at 29.1

I picked up a CM 7777 and it showed better signal strength over the 7778, but the image didn't appear on my tv. I found a titan 1 7778 in my garage that I purchased about 10 years ago to pull in abc and never used it because I lost my power supply. It is on par with the CM 7777 (within a db or so) so I am going to return the 7777. I think my CM 3044 4 port dist amp is messing things up. I have tried direct and doesn't have enough gain. I am averaging -20.5 - 22.5 or so on 19.1 CBS from my attic from the preamp showing solid "digital" on the signal meter. And suggestions after that? I need to feed at least 2 (preferably 3 tvs). I can't pull in anything distant right now (sunday afternoon football game time) only at night and it's sporadic at best.
Is moving your antenna out of the attic onto the roof not an option?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4712 of 4728 Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bhambrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chelsea, AL
Posts: 1,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Is moving your antenna out of the attic onto the roof not an option?
It would be the last resort. I live in a subdivision and it wouldn't be ideal for several reasons.

Last edited by bhambrad; 09-30-2014 at 05:02 PM.
bhambrad is offline  
post #4713 of 4728 Old 09-30-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bhambrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chelsea, AL
Posts: 1,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bama View Post
I use this for a distribution amp that takes the output of my Dish receiver and feed it through a 4-way splitter to 4 TV's scattered in my house...be worth a try. It's has a 36db gain with adjustable power output and an FM trap switch that I set as "Out":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are you using any kind of pre-amp or just this amplifier?
bhambrad is offline  
post #4714 of 4728 Old 09-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Member
 
kodaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hoover,Al.
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ABC 33/40 and Uverse

Uverse apparently didn't know that 33/40 was switching to 68.2 today. They have no listings for 33/40 and so recording can't be done. Wonder when this will be corrected.
kodaker is offline  
post #4715 of 4728 Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tigerfan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaker View Post
Uverse apparently didn't know that 33/40 was switching to 68.2 today. They have no listings for 33/40 and so recording can't be done. Wonder when this will be corrected.


I'm not familar with Uverse but can you go into settings add the channel to your favorites list. It is channel 67 on Directv should be the same channel on Uverse.
tigerfan33 is offline  
post #4716 of 4728 Old 09-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Member
 
kodaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hoover,Al.
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
I'm not familar with Uverse but can you go into settings add the channel to your favorites list. It is channel 67 on Directv should be the same channel on Uverse.
The TV station put out a notice that to get the guide info back, you have to power the DVR off and on. It worked.
kodaker is offline  
post #4717 of 4728 Old 09-30-2014, 11:03 PM
Member
 
D. Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
although i don't live in the Birmingham DMA (besides watching live streams from ABC 33/40's website when severe weather breaks out in the area (hint. the April 27 2011 tornadoes) which eventually rolls into Georgia); but from what i've recently read from wikipedia, seems like Sinclair may "save" WCFT-TV channel 33 by selling it to Howard Stirk Holdings for $50,000 (possibly re-launching it into an independent station in the near future) while on the other hand fully dissolving WJSU channel 40 all together

http://rbr.com/sinclair-and-stirk-en...-tv-fire-sale/
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/7...3-Deals-18-75M

and one other question thats popped in my head (though it could be a "dumb" one...sorta), why cant they just convert WBMA-LD into a full power station like for example "WBMA-TV" so that way it will actually cover the entire market plus, there would be no reason to place ABC on a subchannel of a lesser network station (like MyNet or The CW)

Last edited by D. Shadow; 09-30-2014 at 11:06 PM.
D. Shadow is offline  
post #4718 of 4728 Old 10-01-2014, 03:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 25
Posts: 14,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shadow View Post
and one other question thats popped in my head (though it could be a "dumb" one...sorta), why cant they just convert WBMA-LD into a full power station like for example "WBMA-TV" so that way it will actually cover the entire market plus, there would be no reason to place ABC on a subchannel of a lesser network station (like MyNet or The CW)
That's not how TV licensing works. Sinclair would have to file for a new full-power TV station, participate in an auction to win the channel, and then build it. And there's a freeze on new TV stations, so that's not something that can be done.

Even if they did that, suddenly Sinclair would own three stations in the market, putting them in violation of the ownership rules, requiring them to shut down or sell the new full-power WBMA. ABC would be back on WABM again, defeating the purpose.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #4719 of 4728 Old 10-01-2014, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
4bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Clay County, Alabama
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dish Network vs OTA antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambrad View Post
Are you using any kind of pre-amp or just this amplifier?
Well, of course I don't use a pre-amp with the Dish receiver...it's in my basement and provides its own power/amplification to the dish, so I only use the amplifier to boost its output to other TV's, some about 100' from the Dish Receiver.

Now for my OTA antenna (see my signature below) I do use the CM-7777 pre-amp, the antenna Pre-amp is about 100' from the basement where the pre-amp power supply is located, and I also use that amplifier to boost the output of the pre-amp to my TV's, also some about 100' from the basement.

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
4bama is offline  
post #4720 of 4728 Old 10-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did they actually shut WCFT down on schedule? I've heard from multiple sources that WBMA-LD and WJSU are both still on the air.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
Tom Servo is offline  
post #4721 of 4728 Old 10-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Member
 
D. Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Did they actually shut WCFT down on schedule? I've heard from multiple sources that WBMA-LD and WJSU are both still on the air.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
WCFT is "silent" for the time being until its sold off to HSH (Howard Stirk Holdings), WBMA-LD is still on since thats the main ABC station for the market....but WJSU is shut down for good
D. Shadow is offline  
post #4722 of 4728 Old 10-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shadow View Post
WCFT is "silent" for the time being until its sold off to HSH (Howard Stirk Holdings), WBMA-LD is still on since thats the main ABC station for the market....but WJSU is shut down for good
Thanks for the information. Last I heard this evening around 6 pm was that 40.1 was still on.
Tom Servo is offline  
post #4723 of 4728 Old 10-01-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RickD_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL USA
Posts: 1,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just checked out the ABC-HD PQ on DirecTV channel 67 and compared it to 68-2 OTA and to my surprise I found that the OTA PQ looked substantially better (given that someone earlier posted that DirecTV was getting a fiber feed of the channel). Of course I just turned 60 this past July so that fact might have some relevance to this observation

I live off Valley Avenue in Homewood so I have been using a Mohu Leaf non-amplified indoor antenna for my OTA needs. I was able to get all locals except WBMA-LD. So for me it's great that I can now get the ABC-HD signal OTA when rain fade knocks out my DirecTV.

HDTV Early Adopter
RickD_99 is offline  
post #4724 of 4728 Old 10-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Member
 
D. Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Thanks for the information. Last I heard this evening around 6 pm was that 40.1 was still on.
speaking of which, the last wikipedia update (from someone who lives near the 2000ft tower of WCFT) the station is still on the air re-transmitting WBMA-LD/ABC programming; havent heard (or read) anything concerning WJSU channel 40 still being on.
Tom Servo likes this.
D. Shadow is offline  
post #4725 of 4728 Old 10-02-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bhambrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chelsea, AL
Posts: 1,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shadow View Post
speaking of which, the last wikipedia update (from someone who lives near the 2000ft tower of WCFT) the station is still on the air re-transmitting WBMA-LD/ABC programming; havent heard (or read) anything concerning WJSU channel 40 still being on.
40-1 is still broadcasting that Heartland Network channel. The others are showing up but black screen.
Tom Servo likes this.
bhambrad is offline  
post #4726 of 4728 Old 10-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Newbie
 
D_Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
On the FCC website, an application was accepted for filing on 10/1/2014 to assign the WJSU-TV license to HSH Birmingham.

So it appears that Sinclair is selling off both WCFT-TV and WJSU-TV to Howard Stirk Holdings. If all this is approved, HSH would have coverage across the entire DMA (except for WBMA-LD that Sinclair retained).
D_Thomas is offline  
post #4727 of 4728 Old 10-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thomas View Post
On the FCC website, an application was accepted for filing on 10/1/2014 to assign the WJSU-TV license to HSH Birmingham.

So it appears that Sinclair is selling off both WCFT-TV and WJSU-TV to Howard Stirk Holdings. If all this is approved, HSH would have coverage across the entire DMA (except for WBMA-LD that Sinclair retained).
Does anyone know anything about Howard Stirk Holdings' plans for the station(s)? They own a CW affiliate in SC and an NBC in Flint, Michigan. HSH is wholly owned by conservative political commentator Armstrong Williams. I haven't really heard any word on what potential programming might be.

WCFT's purchase agreement is kind of interesting, and answers some questions I had about who is getting what. HSH will get the "antenna and transmission system" as well as the license, for $50,000. They will pay $4,000 a month to Sinclair for tower lease, studio space and a STL link to keep the broadcasts alive and keep the license active. Part of the agreement also states that HSH will not elect to invoke must carry for the station. I'm not exactly sure what that means as far as whether all cable companies in the DMA will carry the signal or not.

WJSU's agreement seems similar, but I didn't see anything about paying Sinclair for studio space or anything like that. The license and antenna/transmission system will cost $50,000.
Tom Servo is offline  
post #4728 of 4728 Old 10-13-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 25
Posts: 14,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Does anyone know anything about Howard Stirk Holdings' plans for the station(s)? They own a CW affiliate in SC and an NBC in Flint, Michigan. HSH is wholly owned by conservative political commentator Armstrong Williams. I haven't really heard any word on what potential programming might be.

WCFT's purchase agreement is kind of interesting, and answers some questions I had about who is getting what. HSH will get the "antenna and transmission system" as well as the license, for $50,000. They will pay $4,000 a month to Sinclair for tower lease, studio space and a STL link to keep the broadcasts alive and keep the license active. Part of the agreement also states that HSH will not elect to invoke must carry for the station. I'm not exactly sure what that means as far as whether all cable companies in the DMA will carry the signal or not.
My guess is that they're having HSH hold the stations at minimal cost (with minimal programming--maybe just infomercials?) just to hold onto them in case the ownership rules get thrown out in court or updated under a new President and Sinclair can buy or operate the stations after all.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off