Birmingham, AL - HDTV - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4741 of 4764 Old 10-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
It didn't make sense to me either and I'm asking for clarification from my source... But I was hoping someone here would be able to double check quicker...

I think it may be they mistook Zuus Country, perhaps... Or TCN or whatever it's called now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Ah, I got a screenshot from this person today. It's still Heartland. I have no idea why they thought it was GAC though, unless it was just a glitch at Sinclair.
Tom Servo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4742 of 4764 Old 10-18-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tigerfan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 168
WIAT hd channel 42 looks a bit sharper less pixelated.
First noticed today watching Chargers and Packers.
Watching via Directv.
Anyone else?
tigerfan33 is offline  
post #4743 of 4764 Old 10-25-2015, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tigerfan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
WIAT hd channel 42 looks a bit sharper less pixelated.
First noticed today watching Chargers and Packers.
Watching via Directv.
Anyone else?

Wishful thinking
Not good at all.
tigerfan33 is offline  
post #4744 of 4764 Old 11-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Newbie
 
ox1574's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cbs????

Ok guys what the heck is going on with WIAT 42? I am having the hardest time getting a lock on 42.1, 42.2, and 42.3. I have been getting it great for almost a year with my RCA ANT751, it actually seemed to be the best looking station. Now I can't for the life of me keep a lock on it. This sometimes happens with WBRC Fox, but very little. I also tried getting my old multi-directional out and trying that with no luck either. Thoughts? I have check cables, splitter, etc and all seem to be in great shape.

Thanks!
ox1574 is offline  
post #4745 of 4764 Old 11-18-2015, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ox1574 View Post
Ok guys what the heck is going on with WIAT 42? I am having the hardest time getting a lock on 42.1, 42.2, and 42.3. I have been getting it great for almost a year with my RCA ANT751, it actually seemed to be the best looking station. Now I can't for the life of me keep a lock on it. This sometimes happens with WBRC Fox, but very little. I also tried getting my old multi-directional out and trying that with no luck either. Thoughts? I have check cables, splitter, etc and all seem to be in great shape.

Thanks!
Ox, did your woes with CBS ever get resolved?

***

I've gotten word that Sinclair has agreed to start carrying Antenna TV on many of their owned stations, and Birmingham will be getting it on 21-2 at some point, replacing GetTV.

It'll be interesting to see if Sinclair finds a way to move GetTV to another subchannel on one of the other stations they own/operate.
Tom Servo is offline  
post #4746 of 4764 Old 12-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Member
 
dlathem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West Hoover, AL
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Antenna Installation

I am looking for someone to install an antenna and rotor on my roof in the Hoover, Alabama area.
dlathem is offline  
post #4747 of 4764 Old 01-16-2016, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bhambrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chelsea, AL
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlathem View Post
I am looking for someone to install an antenna and rotor on my roof in the Hoover, Alabama area.
DM me if you still need an installer.
bhambrad is offline  
post #4748 of 4764 Old 01-16-2016, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bhambrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chelsea, AL
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm loving AntennaTV with the Carson reruns. Thrilled they added it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post


I've gotten word that Sinclair has agreed to start carrying Antenna TV on many of their owned stations, and Birmingham will be getting it on 21-2 at some point, replacing GetTV.

It'll be interesting to see if Sinclair finds a way to move GetTV to another subchannel on one of the other stations they own/operate.
bhambrad is offline  
post #4749 of 4764 Old 01-16-2016, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambrad View Post
I'm loving AntennaTV with the Carson reruns. Thrilled they added it.
I wish they've find a way to bring it down here to Mobile. Sinclair owns/operates a whopping four stations here so it's not like they don't have the room for another subchannel.
Tom Servo is offline  
post #4750 of 4764 Old 01-18-2016, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bhambrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chelsea, AL
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I wish they've find a way to bring it down here to Mobile. Sinclair owns/operates a whopping four stations here so it's not like they don't have the room for another subchannel.
I was shocked they added it here. There is a crime channel that is awesome called Escape that I would love to see added.
bhambrad is offline  
post #4751 of 4764 Old 06-26-2016, 05:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,

I"m in Bham, Helena specifically. Have cut the cord and using a flatHD antennae to bring in local channels. I thought it would cover NBC13 but does not. Have a quick question about the recommended Ultratenny 60 from other websites to use in conjunction with the current one we have, and that is does this have to be mounted on the roof? I see many posters saying that these can be installed in the attic, and wondered about whether this really works.

Also, If we still have a direct tv satellite dish mounted on our home, is there anyway to utilize that for local channels- That might sound crazy, but I didn't think it hurt to ask.

Thanks,
Tracy
Tracy Taylor Elliott is offline  
post #4752 of 4764 Old 06-27-2016, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
4bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Clay County, Alabama
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Taylor Elliott View Post
Hi All,

I"m in Bham, Helena specifically. Have cut the cord and using a flatHD antennae to bring in local channels. I thought it would cover NBC13 but does not. Have a quick question about the recommended Ultratenny 60 from other websites to use in conjunction with the current one we have, and that is does this have to be mounted on the roof? I see many posters saying that these can be installed in the attic, and wondered about whether this really works.

Also, If we still have a direct tv satellite dish mounted on our home, is there anyway to utilize that for local channels- That might sound crazy, but I didn't think it hurt to ask.

Thanks,
Tracy
Tracy, NBC-13 transmits on UHF Channel 52....as you know, the higher frequency makes it more difficult to receive...so make sure your antenna supports UHF frequencies, but your location may make it very difficult to receive this station with an antenna in the attic..

To receive local channels via DirecTv (or Dish Network) you must have an account with them and one of their approved receivers....there is no way to utilize the DTV dish without an account and one of their receivers.

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
4bama is offline  
post #4753 of 4764 Old 06-27-2016, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bama View Post
Tracy, NBC-13 transmits on UHF Channel 52....as you know, the higher frequency makes it more difficult to receive...so make sure your antenna supports UHF frequencies, but your location may make it very difficult to receive this station with an antenna in the attic..

To receive local channels via DirecTv (or Dish Network) you must have an account with them and one of their approved receivers....there is no way to utilize the DTV dish without an account and one of their receivers.
WVTM is on RF channel 13 now. Those flat panel antennas that are so popular are really terrible for VHF. In fact, most of the "HDTV" antennas for sale today focus on UHF only because that's where most of the TV channels are. The ULTRAtenna is no exception, sadly, so I can't say if it'll be any better for getting Birmingham's three VHF broadcasters (WVUA, WVTM and WBIQ).

One thing that does help reception is height, so an antenna in the attic will be better than one hidden behind the TV or tacked up on an interior wall. A rooftop antenna is the best choice, but not everyone can or is willing to go that route. The only time an attic antenna might not work right is if you have attic insulation with a metallic layer or have a metal roof.

Years ago there was a "stealth" antenna that was designed to be mounted behind a satellite dish. It was sort of a half-circle type thing that may have been given away or sold by one of the satellite companies to people in areas where there was no local-into-local service, back in the day. I didn't find anything like that while searching Solid Signal but they may still be out there somewhere. Like most antennas these days they're designed for UHF but being outside on the roof where the dish is would give it a good height advantage, and you could probably reuse the old coax going to the dish itself if it's no longer in use.

Helena is still pretty close to Red Mountain, so you don't need a really huge antenna, but something designed for both UHF and VHF would certainly be a help. WBIQ is on 10 and WVTM is on 13, while the relay for Tuscaloosa's WVUA that's on Red Mountain uses the old WBRC antenna on RF channel 6.

Really before spending money on a new setup, I'd actually take the existing antenna and move it around a bit, you might find a sweet spot just a few inches from where it is now where 13 comes in and so does everything else.
Tom Servo is offline  
post #4754 of 4764 Old 06-27-2016, 08:37 AM
Senior Member
 
4bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Clay County, Alabama
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry Tom, UHF-52 was where it transmitted when I first picked it up OTA...I see now that they switched back to VHF-13 in 2009:

Former channel number(s) Analog:
13 (VHF; 1949–2009)
Digital:
52 (UHF; –2009)

This is the latest info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WVTM-TVhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WVTM-TV

Even with my tower and best Winegard antenna it was sometimes fading when they transmitted on UHF-52...that's why I rotated my antenna to Montgomery stations and got B'ham locals via Dish Network..


Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
4bama is offline  
post #4755 of 4764 Old 07-08-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bhambrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chelsea, AL
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bama View Post
Sorry Tom, UHF-52 was where it transmitted when I first picked it up OTA...I see now that they switched back to VHF-13 in 2009:

Former channel number(s) Analog:
13 (VHF; 1949–2009)
Digital:
52 (UHF; –2009)

This is the latest info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WVTM-TVhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WVTM-TV

Even with my tower and best Winegard antenna it was sometimes fading when they transmitted on UHF-52...that's why I rotated my antenna to Montgomery stations and got B'ham locals via Dish Network..

You are lucky. I can pull in MTG some times at nights. I prefer WAKA over WIAT's over compression and obnoxious 1990's weather graphics and crawls. WCNF also is a lot better than ABC 33/40 68.2 as far as PQ goes. Happy for you!
bhambrad is offline  
post #4756 of 4764 Old 07-08-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bhambrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chelsea, AL
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Taylor Elliott View Post
Hi All,

I"m in Bham, Helena specifically. Have cut the cord and using a flatHD antennae to bring in local channels. I thought it would cover NBC13 but does not. Have a quick question about the recommended Ultratenny 60 from other websites to use in conjunction with the current one we have, and that is does this have to be mounted on the roof? I see many posters saying that these can be installed in the attic, and wondered about whether this really works.

Also, If we still have a direct tv satellite dish mounted on our home, is there anyway to utilize that for local channels- That might sound crazy, but I didn't think it hurt to ask.

Thanks,
Tracy
Attic / good antenna / preamp is the way to go. A lot of the flat antennas aren't worth the money.
bhambrad is offline  
post #4757 of 4764 Old 07-09-2016, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 52
From another board

W46DK (rf 17) on the air as of July 1 as WUOA

46-1 Laff
46-2 Buzzr
46-3 Escape

and I guess they added some more in the last day
.4 = Color Bars
.5 = QVC
.6 = Color Bars
.7 = Liquidation Channel
.8 = QVC Plus
unclehonkey is offline  
post #4758 of 4764 Old 07-09-2016, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 52
unclehonkey is offline  
post #4759 of 4764 Old 07-19-2016, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bhambrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chelsea, AL
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
From another board

W46DK (rf 17) on the air as of July 1 as WUOA

46-1 Laff
46-2 Buzzr
46-3 Escape

and I guess they added some more in the last day
.4 = Color Bars
.5 = QVC
.6 = Color Bars
.7 = Liquidation Channel
.8 = QVC Plus
Laff & Escape are great channels. Too bad they're overcompressed and unwatchable. Those are the 2 channels I really wanted added in the Bham market. Wish they would ditch the dumb shopping channels and upgrade the PQ. I don't bother trying to pull in ION since the picture is bad due to too many sub channels degrading the picture quality.
bhambrad is offline  
post #4760 of 4764 Old 07-19-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambrad View Post
Laff & Escape are great channels. Too bad they're overcompressed and unwatchable. Those are the 2 channels I really wanted added in the Bham market. Wish they would ditch the dumb shopping channels and upgrade the PQ. I don't bother trying to pull in ION since the picture is bad due to too many sub channels degrading the picture quality.
same here in Minneapolis. When DTV America turned on their 2nd station (KMBD-LD) we have 6 stations (and rumour for a 7th)
Bounce, Escape, Laff, Cozi, QVC and QVC West (Plus...its just a 3 hour delay). All look bitstarved

seems goofy they are adding QVC in markets that already have QVC via Ion.
Their other station (KJNK) has Telemundo (HD), Sonlife, HmongTV (fair amount of Hmong in St Paul) and Liquidation.
unclehonkey is offline  
post #4761 of 4764 Old 07-19-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bhambrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chelsea, AL
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
same here in Minneapolis. When DTV America turned on their 2nd station (KMBD-LD) we have 6 stations (and rumour for a 7th)
Bounce, Escape, Laff, Cozi, QVC and QVC West (Plus...its just a 3 hour delay). All look bitstarved

seems goofy they are adding QVC in markets that already have QVC via Ion.
Their other station (KJNK) has Telemundo (HD), Sonlife, HmongTV (fair amount of Hmong in St Paul) and Liquidation.
I agree. I hope ATSC 3.0 rollout happens. Opens up a lot of options for stations like these by using better encoding with same bandwidth. I'd love to see NFL games in 4K.
bhambrad is offline  
post #4762 of 4764 Old 08-27-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tigerfan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 168
PQ on CBS 42 really looks more sharp than the past. Viewing from Directv.
Anyone know of any changes? Reminds me of the changes ABC 33/40 went through several years back. Really nice!
tigerfan33 is offline  
post #4763 of 4764 Old 09-03-2016, 05:29 AM
Senior Member
 
4bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Clay County, Alabama
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question NBC-13 audio/video stutters

Anyone on Dish network having the momentary "stutter" on locally produced shows like 5pm or 10pm news? Audio stutters more often but also video stutters a little less often.

Network shows, like the Fallon talk shows do not do this, just locally produced studio shows on 13...

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
4bama is offline  
post #4764 of 4764 Old 09-10-2016, 05:08 AM
Senior Member
 
4bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Clay County, Alabama
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bama View Post
Anyone on Dish network having the momentary "stutter" on locally produced shows like 5pm or 10pm news? Audio stutters more often but also video stutters a little less often.

Network shows, like the Fallon talk shows do not do this, just locally produced studio shows on 13...
Well, it looks like 13 (or Dish Network) fixed the problem that was causing momentary audio and video glitches and dropouts...

Watched a lot yesterday and last nights news and saw no glitches...hope this does not reoccur..


Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
4bama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off