Birmingham, AL - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2004, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had any luck receiving B-Ham Hdtv OTA from Gadsden?
Any info would be great

Mitsubishi WS 55313
Dish 811/301 w/ AEP, Voom, HD pack, Locals, OTA locals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2004, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bearmur
Fox is not vhf-hd(channel 50). Channel 5 is ABC Tuscaloosa channel 33. If you get 33 and have a low band vhf antenna pointed the same way then you can get channel 5(33-1,33-2). 40-1 will be channel 9 and is waiting of FCC approval for a CP. You will not get it with an indoor antenna.

bearmur: thanks for the reply. i was always the slow one in the family. i know this has been covered but i think i'm finally getting it. i was looking at the channel and not the frequency assignment in antennaweb and confusing myself. it looks like a handful of the ota stations broadcast one channel in vhf and the other in uhf. is there an advantage to that? thanks again, brian.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FCC assigned the channel. Our owners found VHF channels that would fit in digital. They are cheaper to operate, so we ask if we could change.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:41 PM

bearmur: thanks for the info

on another note. anyone have any suggestions as to where to buy an antenna for my attic around here in b'ham. i think i'm gonna take the plunge and put one in my attic. thanks all, brian.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:54 PM

jafo9--go to Forbes Distributing for the Channel Master OTA. A lot of us are using the CM 4228.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:26 PM

thanks mike4au

are they open tomorrow (sunday)? also, any recommendations for vhf and a combiner? also, will i need an amp to run from the attic of a 2 story house to the first floor? thanks, brian.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:07 PM

Brian, I am pretty sure that Forbes is not open on Sundays.

I am, by far, not an expert on OTA installations. That said, I ran 100 feet of RG6 from my attic (2 story house) down to my basement and back up thru the floor to my STB, without a pre-amp.

From what I have gleaned so far, some folks have needed a pre-amp and some have not.

Feel free to PM me and I will try to help.
Mike
Old 06-27-2004, 06:50 AM

BrettTRay, I'm not in Gadsden but close by in Boaz. I do get CBS and NBC OTA, and a few others like PBS, UPN I think, but no FOX or ABC
Old 06-27-2004, 09:19 AM

I was on the Fox 6 website and it said that they went live in june with 720p. Yet on here people have said that it would be august at the least. Does anyone know if they have already started with the HD feed OTA yet.

Mitsubishi WS 55313
Dish 811/301 w/ AEP, Voom, HD pack, Locals, OTA locals
Old 06-27-2004, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by BrettTRay
I was on the Fox 6 website and it said that they went live in june with 720p. Yet on here people have said that it would be august at the least. Does anyone know if they have already started with the HD feed OTA yet.

Fox Network has not started sending a HD signal yet, so no, Fox 6 is not sending a true 720p, just an upconvert.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Old 06-27-2004, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jstuck
Hopefully...
I was wondering if any of you guys are in Tuscaloosa. If so, what sort of signals with what sorts of antennas. We are moving into the Hillcrest area and would like to start investing in HD. We're using a satellite for their packages but would also like locals. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

I'm in Tuscaloosa (Alberta City area) and get strong signals for ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and channel 68 (UPN?). I'm using an older Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna with a Channel Master 7777 preamp. Before I added the preamp I was able to get a good signal with CBS but NBC and PBS were never strong enough to be stable. I can't get FOX and Channel 21 (WB?) comes and goes.

Since you are a bit further away from the towers you may have more trouble getting everything but I think you should be able to with a good long range antenna. You should be able to get ABC with just a pair of rabbit ears. I experimented with rabbit ears just to see if I could get ABC when they went live and had no trouble picking up the signal.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:24 PM

Question about ABC:

I'm pulling in a strong OTA signal for channel 33 out of T'town. With the right VHF antenna, pointed in the right direction, I should be able to get the HD signal, right?

I made a feeble attempt about a month ago with a couple of indoor VHF antenna's, but had to take them both back. I 'm getting the itch to get set for MNF, so I want to get the proper equipment in order to know that if I can't get it, then I just can't get it.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:33 PM

Yes. I get it over 80 miles away.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:41 PM

Wow, you get it all the way from Munford? That gives me hope! I'll review the forum for your setup and will get to work on it right away.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:34 AM

just wanted to post an update on my attic antenna in cherokee bend south. i bought a cm 3018 which is a combo u/v/f antenna. it a has about 8dB UHF gain vs. about 12 for the 4228. installation wasn't too bad although at 113 inches long its fairly ackward to mount. i used a pvc pipe for the mounting rod. right now i get all the channels listed on antenna web in the ~260 degree direction in the yellow, green and red zones. i haven't gone back up to tweak it and its probably pointing too far east. my sir-t165 didn't pick up 33 on its initial scan. the next step is for me to try and adjust the aiming. i also bought an indoor amp (cm but i dont' remember the #) which i'll probably install after i run a power line to see if it makes any difference. also, i didn't pick up 6.1 (50) on my scan last night. was fox down?

thanks for everyone's input.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:17 AM

Did anyone have problems getting Crossing Jordan (NBC DTV 52.1) in HD last night? The pix I got was a smaller but properly proportioned 16:9 version (bars on top, bottom, sides). Other HD channel broadcasting HD material (PBS 10.1) appeared fine (42.1 was not in HD at that time). I called chan 13 and asked the news desk to ask the control room to "throw the HD switch". She told me that there "is no switch" and that "it was always on". I thought this odd, based on past posts here. Anyway, the pix never in that hour to my knowledge (I left HD and went to 13 on satellite to prevent burn in of the pix) changed to an HD pix. Just curious.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:39 AM

Both of nbc's hd shows last night were sd. NBC problem not NBC13.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:00 PM

Bearmur, thanks for the NBC info. I guess we're still on the leading/bleeding edge if the networks are having issues with HD. Well, one thing is for sure: NBC 13 knows at least one person was paying attention. Too bad the news desk couldn't tell me what you did. Some irony there...
Old 06-28-2004, 07:31 PM

Bearmur:

I'm not getting DD sound (only PLII) on the HD broadcasts from 33.1. Is there a problem that you're aware of?

Tom
Old 06-29-2004, 04:53 AM

I am not getting 5.1. I checked with Gary yesterday. He said ABC may have changed something on their end that he would call and check.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:23 AM

Do I Need a pre-amp?

I am receiving all locals via a CM 4228 (W/O a pre-amp) mounted in my attic. When it is stormy, I get some pixelization, mainly on ABC. Would a pre-amp stop or reduce that pixelization? If so, what do you think about a CM 7777.

I will admit that part of me wants to leave well enough alone. I feel fortunate to receive all locals, especially given the problems that others are having.

What do you guys think? Thanks!
Old 06-29-2004, 10:44 AM

If I was getting ABC on a 4228 I would add a VHF antenna & a cm 7777 to improve the signal. If I was not going to add a vhf antenna I would not disturb my system for fear I would not be able to get it set up again.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:33 AM

Interestingly, I tried to get ABC with a separate VHF and was not successful. I just left it up, next to the CM 4228. Then one day I rescanned for locals and ABC came in on the 4228. I don't even have a lead connected to the VHF.

I am tempted to add the pre-amp, but I am reminded of the old saying re "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I think you and I are on the same page.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:20 PM

If you did anything, an in line signal amp would be cheaper and easily removed/returned if it didn't help.

Tom
Old 06-29-2004, 12:36 PM

Anyone tried a Channel Master 3671? I think I am going to go get one this week and mount on the roof. That and a Channel Master 0064 amp. Any thoughts on these two products? I live in Vestvia on Wisteria, So far indoor antenna's havent worked worth anything. I am hoping to get ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC. Does anyone think that I will need a rotor motor for the antenna? Or should this be enough?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:54 PM

OK, I didnt do my research very good. The 3671 over 10 feet long. Any other suggestions on a UHF/VHF model that might pick abc from vestavia?
Old 07-04-2004, 08:41 AM

did anyone else see the braves play the red sox on the braves hd channel last night on charter cable. i've never seen that channel before on the charter line up. it looked more like 480p but still pretty cool and no commercials.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:48 AM

I just noticed the added channel this morning....... just in time for the Braves-Red Sox game at noon today. It is sandwiched between ESPN HD and Discovery HD.

If Charter could only add the other two locals, HDNET and INHD, we'd be set!
Old 07-04-2004, 10:05 AM

Mr Eliott
Your 1st source should be antennaweb (I'm not priviledged to post url)
(google search will put you there quickly)
If you put in your Derby Downs address you will see that ABC-DT 5-1 is not listed.You are "down" below the ridges and reception will be iffy.
The ABC-33 tower is west of you {south of Jasper} and unless you are up on Panorama Dr or Shades Crest Rd reception is difficult.
If you have a CLEAR west view options include an outside tower with either a DEEP FRINGE class combo antenna or two antennas adding a VHF only or even better a single channel {5} VHF antenna and using a Channel Master Titan 7777 preamp. A single antenna would require a rotor to see north (UHF) and west (VHF).
Stark Electronics (again no url allowed) has an infinite selection of antennas online. Forbes Distributing on 4th ave south can be a local source of most mainline equipment.
Good luck! I've tried multiple options and ABC 33-40 is a no-show in Magnolia Ridge.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I had the opportunity to work closer with the Samsung HD Directv STB. Switching back and fourth from the LG (Hughes, Zenith, Sony) version the difference in tuners was significant. No PBS with zip set to 00000 on the Sammy, and frequent breakups on half the other channels. I was able to pull in ABC 5.1 with the channel master 2001 on both.

The Sammy certainly had a Digital tuner that was less than acceptable. May work for some locations where the moon lines up with the ocean currents and the wind blowing in from town but I would find a version of the LG if you plan on buying one today.

Dave