AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/)
-   -   Birmingham, AL - HDTV (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/365749-birmingham-al-hdtv.html)

tclove 02-12-2004 11:23 AM

Since the Red Tower thread was several hundred pages and two years old, I have started this new official thread. Please post all comments related to Birmingham, AL (and surrounding areas) digital television issues here.

tclove 02-12-2004 11:55 AM

Here is the current official information regarding HDTV in Birmingham as of 01/26/2006:

CBS (30; 42-1; 42-2 SD weather map) live
1080i and 5.1 sound (for special events and episodic series)

NBC (52; 13-1) live
1080i and 5.1 sound
The New York feed of NBC-HD is available to DirecTV customers who live in Birmingham.

ABC (5; 33-1 HDTV; 33-2 SD weather map) went live on 04/12/2004
720p and 5.1 sound (5.1 actived 1/17/06)
(some in B'ham have had trouble pulling in; the only antenna that I could get to work was CM 3014 VHF only mounted on roof with a CM 4777 preamp; getting 86% signal strength with Hughes E86 decoder)
5-2;33-2 currently showing weather radar

ABC (9; 40-1 HDTV and 40-2 SD weather map) went live 02/12/2005
720p and 5.1 sound (5.1 activated 1/17/06)
The tower is located near Leeds, so those in Birmingham should have better luck getting this station then 5-1 near Tuscaloosa).

TBN (26-1)
480i

PBS (53; 10-1 HDTV; 10-2 SD) live
1080i for 10-1 and 480i for 10-2

WB (28; 21-1 HD and 21-2 SD) live (21-2 live on 10/4/2004)
1080i for 28-1 with 5.1 surround sound (There is a centering problem on the HD channel. The picture is shifted too much to the top of the screen).
480i for 28-2

UPN (36; 68-1) live
480i (no current date for HD)

UPN Americ'a Store (36; 68-2);
480i

FOX (50; 6-1) live (went to full power 10/1/05)
720p and Dolby Digital 5.1
The New York Fox-HD feed is available to DirecTV customers who live in Birmingham.

PAX (45-1)
PAX West (45-2)
Worship (45-3)
Faith TV (45-4)
All of the above are broadcasting at 480i.

WTJP TBN 60 Digital 26:
60-1 - TBN
60-2 - The Church Channel
60-3 - JC-TV
60-4 - Enlace

The Church Channel is 24/7 church services from around the country.

JC-TV is a youth oriented religious channel showing contemporary christian music videos and programs targeted to the under 20 crowd.

Enlace is a Spanish language religious channel.

Let me know if I missed something!

bearmur 02-12-2004 12:26 PM

Tim:
Pax 44-1,44-2,44-3,44-4 broadcasting on channel 45. Live. They have psip problems so some receivers will only get 44-1.They are north of B'ham.

tclove 02-12-2004 12:34 PM

Good point! I never watch them, so I didn't even think about them!

bhambrad 02-12-2004 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tclove
Good point! I never watch them, so I didn't even think about them!

No kidding. I block them from my guide!

chill903 02-12-2004 01:20 PM

Thanks for opening this thread... I'm in Birmingham and have been subscribed to the old thread which is nightmarishly long.

Hopefully within the next few months, I'll be jumping into the world of HDTV, too; and this forum/thread will be my primary resource.

bdouble 02-12-2004 02:50 PM

antennaweb dot org shows the WJSU-DT (ABC, ch 58) transmitter at Bald Rock going live in March 04. no date is shown for the b'ham transmitter at windom springs (ch 5), though I have read here that ch 5 would be the first to go live in Mar 04. is the march live date for ch 58 a myth, or will the 2 towers come on line at nearly the same time?

bhambrad 02-12-2004 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bdouble
antennaweb dot org shows the WJSU-DT (ABC, ch 58) transmitter at Bald Rock going live in March 04. no date is shown for the b'ham transmitter at windom springs (ch 5), though I have read here that ch 5 would be the first to go live in Mar 04. is the march live date for ch 58 a myth, or will the 2 towers come on line at nearly the same time?

bdouble...

Many of us have been waiting for ABC for years now. If they go live in March - I say we throw a party. They are trying (we think) but delays, problems and fcc extensions always occur before the "live" date is met. The last one was Nov 15th 2003 i think, we still don't have abc.

"bearmur" can give you the specific dates and info about ABC - he is the "inside info guy" when it comes to abc 33/40. It must be nice to have connections.

Bham Slugger 02-12-2004 03:44 PM

Anyone have info on upcoming additions to Charter's HD lineup in Birmingham? Anyone have information as to who to call at Charter to bug about adding HD channels? Their CSR's know squat.

THancock 02-12-2004 03:55 PM

I just got an update on WTTO's (WB) HD transition from Tim Costly. The following is my email to him and his responce.

Tim:

Just wondering if the the WB would be passing the HD signal anytime soon. Last time I emailed, you metioned that it might be 1st quarter. Thanks for the update.

I just recently received some of the necessary equipment for broadcasting HD from our transmitter. We still don't have the HD receiver, or the equipment necessary to get the signal through our plant, but we're under way. I wouldn't look for HD next month, but second quarter is a possibility.

Tim

This is great news. Maybe we'll have 2 additional HD networks here in B'ham by mid year.

Tom

bhambrad 02-12-2004 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by THancock
I just got an update on WTTO's (WB) HD transition from Tim Costly. The following is my email to him and his responce.

Tim:

Just wondering if the the WB would be passing the HD signal anytime soon. Last time I emailed, you metioned that it might be 1st quarter. Thanks for the update.

I just recently received some of the necessary equipment for broadcasting HD from our transmitter. We still don't have the HD receiver, or the equipment necessary to get the signal through our plant, but we're under way. I wouldn't look for HD next month, but second quarter is a possibility.

Tim

This is great news. Maybe we'll have 2 additional HD networks here in B'ham by mid year.

Tom

Tom..

Good deal! Glad to see more HD on the way!

bearmur 02-12-2004 05:19 PM

Bald Rock will not go on in March on 58. We hope to have a cp from the fcc for Bald Rock by March. We hope to get 5 on some time in March. I will know more in the next 2 weeks about 5's time-line.

BWCDawg 02-12-2004 08:30 PM

New HD channel showed up tonight on charter. Its labeled NBAHD, but there isn't anything on it yet. Not sure what it is.

bhambrad 02-12-2004 08:49 PM

Maybe NBATV HD? It may be there for the NBA all-star game.

bdouble 02-12-2004 09:29 PM

bhambrad & bearmur - thanks for the replies. I figured that 58 would not be on line by March, judging by the struggle that ch 5 has had. I guess I'll just standby and hope 5 gets online next month.

I really have no right to b!tch too much, since I've only had my 50v500 for 1 month...and I know that my 1 month is nothing compared to the wait that many of you early adopters have endured. anyhow, I appreciate all of the posts and info that y'all have provided. It has definitely been a help to a newbie like myself.

btw, bearmur, what is a cp...construction permit? if so, it sounds like 58 will not be up for quite a while.

bdouble 02-12-2004 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BWCDawg
New HD channel showed up tonight on charter. Its labeled NBAHD, but there isn't anything on it yet. Not sure what it is.

good catch. I suspect it is NBA HD....looks like their next broadcast of a game is on 2/17 @ 9:30. I will try to remember to tune in then.

the broadcast schedule for nba hd is at...

http://www.nba.com/schedules/nationa.../NBATVHighDef/

bhambrad 02-12-2004 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bdouble
I really have no right to b!tch too much, since I've only had my 50v500 for 1 month...and I know that my 1 month is nothing compared to the wait that many of you early adopters have endured. anyhow

Actually, you should take time to call all of the stations' upper management and ask why they aren't on the air yet with a digital/hd signal. Also, I would call the upper mgmt at places like WIAT and NBC and thank them for providing HDTV programming and if you watch more tv because of it, let them know. I think it makes a difference.

tclove 02-13-2004 06:16 AM

Thancock,

Thanks for the update. WB has said they would be going live "by the end of the year" (last year), then "by the first quarter of 2004", and NOW we are "second quarter is a possibility". I wouldn't hold my breath for it then either. It's too bad too, because I really like the shows that are in HD on WB. It's frustrating to see shows for each season come and go and never really know when we will be able to watch them. By the time our WB affiliate goes live, the shows will probably be cancelled.

bhambrad 02-13-2004 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tclove
Thancock,

Thanks for the update. WB has said they would be going live "by the end of the year" (last year), then "by the first quarter of 2004", and NOW we are "second quarter is a possibility". I wouldn't hold my breath for it then either. It's too bad too, because I really like the shows that are in HD on WB. It's frustrating to see shows for each season come and go and never really know when we will be able to watch them. By the time our WB affiliate goes live, the shows will probably be cancelled.

Tim...

I never watch The WB or UPN. What shows do the offer in HD so far? I did read a thread about UPN canceling halh of it's HD lineup awhile back.

JamieSPC 02-13-2004 12:32 PM

I called both 42 and 13 this week thanking them for their HDTV broadcasts. Thursday night can't be beat for two great (and great-looking) programs back-to-back: "ER" and "CSI." Most excellent.

My wife and I do watch more TV because of HD. In fact, we had not watched CSI until we got the HD receiver (we watched mostly DVDs on the widescreen set and very little TV at all). So not only does CSI look great, it has introduced us to a really fine show we probably never would have checked out otherwise.

The real fun will be this fall... SEC football in HD. (drooool). The Super Bowl whet my appetite!

bhambrad 02-13-2004 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JamieSPC
I called both 42 and 13 this week thanking them for their HDTV broadcasts. Thursday night can't be beat for two great (and great-looking) programs back-to-back: "ER" and "CSI." Most excellent.

My wife and I do watch more TV because of HD. In fact, we had not watched CSI until we got the HD receiver (we watched mostly DVDs on the widescreen set and very little TV at all). So not only does CSI look great, it has introduced us to a really fine show we probably never would have checked out otherwise.

The real fun will be this fall... SEC football in HD. (drooool). The Super Bowl whet my appetite!

That's awesome. I am a huge CBS HD fan now when I never watched it before. I am curious to see the ABC HD shows - I bet I will watch alot of shows on ABC once the HDTV is online.

tclove 02-13-2004 03:42 PM

Brad,

Off the top of my head...
WB
"Smallville"
"One Tree Hill"
"Angel"
"Everwood"
"Reba"
"Tarzan" (cancelled)
(others I can't remember)

UPN
"Jake 2.0" (cancelled)
Star Trek Enterprise

bhambrad 02-13-2004 04:20 PM

Tim,

Thanks. I will have to check out a few of those. Hopefully the missing 3 networks will be in HDTV and we can start seeing some of this other stuff. I had no idea the WB or UPN had anything good to watch. The pq even on the digital signal for those is lame so I never have bothered to watch. Stupid me.

kwatson1 02-13-2004 05:37 PM

recently cashed in on the DirecTV receiver deal...
I am living in Crestwood, 35222 area code and about 4 miles from the tower. I purchased the double bow tie antenna from Radio Shack ($15.00 + shipping/tax).
They sent me out the Samsung SIR-tS360 receiver..

With the radio shack antenna, I am currently getting:

6-1 (FOX) Digital
10-1 (PBS) Digital.. comes in and out/no sound
10-2 (APT-2) Digital.. what channel is this?
21-1 (WB) Digital..
42-1 (CBS) Digital...
44-1 (PAX) Digital.. in/out.. weak signal
52-1 (WVTM) Digital.. which is this?
68-1 (UPN) Digital..
68-2 (shopping network/WLDM).. no sound?

I am not sure my antenna is pointed in the right direction as I have no compass, but everything is a steady signal except for those mentioned above..

Thanks for the info from all of you.

bhambrad 02-13-2004 05:48 PM

kwatson...

for better results, you may want to try a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna. Best Buy and CC have them. It won't pick up ABC (when they go live - they will broadcast vhf) because the SS is a UHF only antenna but I think you will get better result on the PAX and PBS. PBS should have some great programming sometime in 2004 I haven't been able to pull in PAX but they are not HD so it doesn't bother me. Getting Fox is the hardest thing for most people on this forum so if you can get Fox - you are in decent shape.

52-1 NBC
10-2 APT PBS Digital Version of Analog Feed
68-2 Multicasted shopping channel

Hope this helps.

kwatson1 02-13-2004 06:23 PM

i am pretty happy so far..

right now the only real channel with problems that I care about or will care about is PBS.. If I move my antenna a bit it may help the problem as well??

We'll see.

Thanks.

I have the Samsung SIR-TS360.. it's OTA signal reader is very unreliable.. so will wait for firmware upgrade to alter the antenna..

bhambrad 02-13-2004 10:12 PM

Tim...

Looks like Angel just got canceled. I think UPN just canceled half their HD lineup. Hopefully they will add some new HD shows.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=366465

MrDRC 02-14-2004 12:23 PM

Great, a new thread for Birmingham!

Reading the last of the old thread I was floored with the signal strength some of you are getting in Alabaster. I'm in Homewood, 3 miles from the tower and only get 100% from Fox. The rest are in the 80's and low 90's. Of course I am not using an amp and have a bunch of trees in my line of sight but still....great signals for you guys in Shelby County!

I have noticed in the last week or so the picture from PBS is pixelating often. My signal strength has not changed but now I am getting these drop-outs. Is anyone else noticing this from PBS?

kwatson1 02-15-2004 10:14 AM

Audio out of sync for Daytona 500..

anyone else having this problem on 52-1?

kwatson1 02-15-2004 10:39 AM

After adjusting my antenna a bit, I am still unable to get any audio from 10-1.. The picture comes in with some mild pixelation, but does not lose signal...

Anyone else have problems with the audio?