AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > San Francisco, CA - OTA

Local HDTV Info and Reception

Xn0r's Avatar Xn0r
05:57 PM Liked: 10
post #4801 of 11554
06-23-2009 | Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 View Post

the mercury's latest update on life in the post-transition world.

seemed to be fairly accurate and helpful.

it explicitly mentioned a couple issues affecting KGO in the south bay.

(i'm amazed that a CECB could make it through the government's testing program (they *did* test these, right?) without anyone noticing the bug where new digital channels that occupied their old analog frequencies were not detected during a simple re-scan.)

The old adage "close enough for government work" applies here, I think. :P
wintertime's Avatar wintertime
09:45 PM Liked: 10
post #4802 of 11554
06-23-2009 | Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhiskers View Post

For some reason I'm now able to tune in and receive quite well KRCB Cotati.

What kind of antenna are you using?

Patty
Larry Kenney's Avatar Larry Kenney
10:20 PM Liked: 33
post #4803 of 11554
06-23-2009 | Posts: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettygunn View Post

Am in Fremont and get the following digital with my roof antenna as of today. Is this all thats currently available my way? Does anybody have an update on when 28 and 40 are going digital? about this post that says retro television is coming to the area what channel and when? and does ksbw have any plans to redirect their signal back this way or are they gone for good?

The only local channel you're missing that I see is channel 42.1 (transmitting on channel 14) from Mt. Diablo. For a complete list of stations in the area, just click on the link below for my list of DTV stations. Lots of people are looking at it, especially in the past couple of weeks.

According to the Chief Engineer of channel 28 and 40 (same person is at both stations) neither station has received their digital transmitter yet. He said he'd let me know when they had an estimated on the air date, but it won't be for at least a couple months, maybe longer. KFTL has applied for digital on channel 28 now, instead of channel 24 which they are currently authorized for, but the FCC hasn't approved that application yet.

I know nothing about Retro.

KSBW is in their final configuration on channel 8. They have not applied for any changes to what they have on the air right now.

Larry
SF
10:23 PM Liked: 33
post #4804 of 11554
06-23-2009 | Posts: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post

it seem like LP & CA station are poping up in SF

KDTS-LD 8 LD CP SAN FRANCISCO CA US

Is KDTS on the air? I don't see it here in San Francisco using a 10 element High VHF antenna.

Larry
SF

i
wm_tell1's Avatar wm_tell1
12:02 AM Liked: 10
post #4805 of 11554
06-24-2009 | Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackerby View Post

I plugged this address into antennaweb.org:

224 SAN FELIPE WAY
NOVATO, CA 94945

It says that location *might* get 11.1 and 7.1. Is that really it? Is anyone getting reception in that neck of the woods?

TVFool.com is a better tool to use and it shows good strength on both channels. Here are the results for that address - direct link and image.
kev4321's Avatar kev4321
07:49 AM Liked: 10
post #4806 of 11554
06-24-2009 | Posts: 220
I just did a scan for new channels and the following were added:
26.3 KTSF-D3
26.4 KTSF-D4

The weird thing is:
26.3 has the same content as 26.1
26.4 has the same content as 26.2

This was on the DTVPal+ converter box.

I then went to check the Zenith DTT901 converter box.

It already had 26.3 and 26.4. But viewing them just showed a blank screen.

Doing a channel scan didn't find any additional channels. And didn't change the blank screen of 26.3 and 26.4.

I think the difference is that the DTVPal will report new subchannels that are found. While the Zenith only reports new VHF/UHF channels that carry those subchannels. The subchannel stuff it just sees whatever is present without requiring a rescan.
DEEPFRINGEGUY's Avatar DEEPFRINGEGUY
08:50 AM Liked: 10
post #4807 of 11554
06-24-2009 | Posts: 172
I used to live not far from there. He should get all the Sutro stations with rabitt ears in Novato; Should get very good reception with a small-medium size external antenna. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get that one on Mt. Burdell with rabbit ears also; since you're right next to it
Grandude's Avatar Grandude
09:00 AM Liked: 10
post #4808 of 11554
06-24-2009 | Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPFRINGEGUY View Post

I think if you put the 4228 outside, on the roof, with a 5 foot mast and a CM7777 pre-amp, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at what you'll get from Sutro, even now...

By the way, KBCW is 45 now and it's KTVU that's on 44 now.

Also, at the risk of starting a big argument on this forum; I think it's likely that someday these stations will actually switch over to call themselves by their actual channel numbers... "KTVU44", "KPIX29." What do you think?

I'm not going to be the first one to 'mess up' the pristine look of our neighborhood by putting an 'ugly' Cm4228 on the roof. Not as long as I have other alternatives for watching TV. Trying for and getting decent OTA reception is just a bit of fun for this old man.

My 44 and 45 confusion is a perfect reason for doing what you suggest, calling all stations by their actual transmitting channel instead of a virtual channel. I think KTVU44 and KPIX29 has a nice ring to it.
09:17 AM Liked: 10
post #4809 of 11554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandude View Post

I'm not going to be the first one to 'mess up' the pristine look of our neighborhood by putting an 'ugly' Cm4228 on the roof. Not as long as I have other alternatives for watching TV. Trying for and getting decent OTA reception is just a bit of fun for this old man.

My 44 and 45 confusion is a perfect reason for doing what you suggest, calling all stations by their actual transmitting channel instead of a virtual channel. I think KTVU44 and KPIX29 has a nice ring to it.

There was one fellow who recently posted a picture of his 4228 rig on his roof, which was not visable from anywhere but the back of his house; but, I respect that. I personally like antennas a lot and I don't think they detract from anything, but that's why they have all the different knobs on the candy machine.

The channel-mapping might have made a little more sense during the DTV transition period; but staying with it now just seems wrong to me... Maybe we can start a grass-roots rebellion here on AVS...
rackerby's Avatar rackerby
09:30 AM Liked: 11
post #4810 of 11554
06-24-2009 | Posts: 238
Quote:

I used to live not far from there. He should get all the Sutro stations with rabitt ears in Novato;

Not in this particular location.

Quote:

Should get very good reception with a small-medium size external antenna.

Well, just for the heck of it, I asked the Solid Signal folks about this location. They recommended the Antennas Direct C2 ClearStream2. Does that sound reasonable? It's certainly a lot smaller/prettier than the CM4228 I was thinking of putting on the roof.

Quote:

I'd be very surprised if you didn't get that one on Mt. Burdell with rabbit ears also; since you're right next to it

Yes. That one (KTLN) does come in with rabbit ears/UHF loop. Too bad my parents aren't interested in that channel.
09:44 AM Liked: 10
post #4811 of 11554
Quote:

Not in this particular location.

Well, just for the heck of it, I asked the Solid Signal folks about this location. They recommended the Antennas Direct C2 ClearStream2. Does that sound reasonable? It's certainly a lot smaller/prettier than the CM4228 I was thinking of putting on the roof.

Yes. That one (KTLN) does come in with rabbit ears/UHF loop. Too bad my parents aren't interested in that channel.

Well, ground clutter has a lot to do with it. Remember, TVfool doesn't know about ground clutter and buildings, etc. By the way, when I key in my address at TVfool the results I get are so inaccurate it's not even funny.

I'd go with the 4228HD if I were you. You probably don't need a pre-amp either. I'd start without it and see what you get.
rackerby's Avatar rackerby
10:52 AM Liked: 11
post #4812 of 11554
06-24-2009 | Posts: 238
Quote:

I'd go with the 4228HD if I were you. You probably don't need a pre-amp either. I'd start without it and see what you get.

Well, as I mentioned, I have a "classic" CM4228" in the attic. Is there a huge difference between the 4228 and the 4228HD?
kev4321's Avatar kev4321
10:52 AM Liked: 10
post #4813 of 11554
I recently visited the http://www.antennacraft.net/ website and they are mentioning:

Quote:

New HDTV UHF 4 & 8 Bay Antennas
Models U4000 & U8000

Antennacraft models U4000 and U8000 are compact and powerful! Those new to off-air reception will like the "see-thru" low-wind profile that gives a minimal visual impact. Completely assembled, easy to install.

I've no idea how good these antennas are, of course.

update1(

I was looking for a local dealer in the SF Bay Area.

http://www.antennacraft.net/ -> Sales ... shows Santa Cruz is the closest.

I also did this for http://www.winegard.com/ too. But the place they said is in San Jose seems to be out of business. At least their website is gone. Googling the company's name leads to a different website, but that website is also effectively dead. I didn't try calling their phone number though.
)
kev4321's Avatar kev4321
11:34 AM Liked: 10
post #4814 of 11554
Quote:

Well, as I mentioned, I have a "classic" CM4228" in the attic. Is there a huge difference

between the 4228 and the 4228HD?

I don't know the answer myself. But this 4228HD antenna was recently talked about in this thread. In this message from 6/17/09 and the back and forth messages after it.
12:00 PM Liked: 10
post #4815 of 11554
KVIE is having a DTV troubleshooting seminar tomorrow where you can meet and discuss issues with their engineers. Here's the link to sign up:
http://www.kvie.org/rsvp/dtv/default.htm
02:19 PM Liked: 10
post #4816 of 11554
Quote:

Well, as I mentioned, I have a "classic" CM4228" in the attic. Is there a huge difference between the 4228 and the 4228HD?

Sorry, I didn't catch that. I hadn't read all your posts; I just caught the Novato thread... The HD model, as you probably know, is relatively new. So, there's not a lot known about it yet, not like the old model that has been around since the 50's. There are a couple of guy's here on this forum that have them and seem to really like them though.

If you have the old type 4228 in the attic at your parents house, what kind of signal-strength are you getting? Is it close to the cliff? If so, relocating it outside, even at low height, might do the trick. Otherwise, try mounting it as high as you can. Calaveras had good advice there. Do you have a pre-amp on it?

Usually, Novato has decent reception even in areas that most folks would consider bad reception areas. At one point I was between 2 big hills, down in a bit of a valley, and I still got good reception on all the sutro stations; even UHF.
08:45 PM Liked: 33
post #4817 of 11554
06-24-2009 | Posts: 2,706
Quote:

Also, at the risk of starting a big argument on this forum; I think it's likely that someday these stations will actually switch over to call themselves by their actual channel numbers... "KTVU44", "KPIX29." What do you think?

The stations HAVE to use their analog channel number for identification. The FCC passed a ruling quite some time ago stating this. KCSM was using 43, their transmitter channel, but had to change to 60. KTLN was using 47, they changed to 68. The stations felt the public would get confused by the new channel numbering, plus they wanted to retain their branding... FOX 2, KRON 4, CBS 5, ABC 7, etc., so they got the National Association of Broadcasters (the NAB) to get the ruling made by the FCC.

I thing the idea is totally confusing itself. Most people have no idea what channel a station is transmitting on. They try using 2 for manually tuning in KTVU, for example, and wonder why they don't get anything. Trying to tell them that KTVU is on 44 gets them totally confused. 44 is KBCW. How can it be KTVU? Trying to explain this to the everyday TV watcher can be very difficult.

Maybe over time the stations will want to start using their actually channel number and enough of them will convince the NAB to get the ruling removed from the books. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon, though.

Larry
SF
mikek753's Avatar mikek753
09:19 PM Liked: 12
post #4818 of 11554
06-24-2009 | Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev4321 View Post

I recently visited the http://www.antennacraft.net/ website and they are mentioning:

I've no idea how good these antennas are, of course.

update1(

I also did this for http://www.winegard.com/ too. But the place they said is in San Jose seems to be out of business. At least their website is gone. Googling the company's name leads to a different website, but that website is also effectively dead. I didn't try calling their phone number though.
)

check local Frys - I saw some at Brokaw Rd.
spongebob's Avatar spongebob
10:11 PM Liked: 11
post #4819 of 11554
06-24-2009 | Posts: 2,851
Keep rescanning, no kron.. ktvu, kpix, kgo, etc all good ???

thx

bob
10:32 PM Liked: 10
post #4820 of 11554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

The stations HAVE to use their analog channel number for identification. The FCC passed a ruling quite some time ago stating this. KCSM was using 43, their transmitter channel, but had to change to 60. KTLN was using 47, they changed to 68. The stations felt the public would get confused by the new channel numbering, plus they wanted to retain their branding... FOX 2, KRON 4, CBS 5, ABC 7, etc., so they got the National Association of Broadcasters (the NAB) to get the ruling made by the FCC.

I thing the idea is totally confusing itself. Most people have no idea what channel a station is transmitting on. They try using 2 for manually tuning in KTVU, for example, and wonder why they don't get anything. Trying to tell them that KTVU is on 44 gets them totally confused. 44 is KBCW. How can it be KTVU? Trying to explain this to the everyday TV watcher can be very difficult.

Maybe over time the stations will want to start using their actually channel number and enough of them will convince the NAB to get the ruling removed from the books. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon, though.

Larry
SF

Hi Larry,

That's a good point to mention about the branding aspect. It's funny, I haven't heard one single person on AVS say that they love the channel-mapping and that they should keep it. I'm laughing while writing this...

Seriously, it's very common for broadcasters to change their branding; they do it all the time. I think they'll probably straighten this mapping stuff out in a few years. After a while viewers are going to be asking why a station is calling itself "KTVU 2" and "There's only one 2", when it's on 44. Folks like myself that do manual tuning are going to be a constant thorn in their side...

There is one good thing about it. It motivates me to memorize the "actual" channel numbers for all the stations. That way I don't need to use my cross-reference chart!
CA_Guy's Avatar CA_Guy
11:14 PM Liked: 10
post #4821 of 11554
06-24-2009 | Posts: 276
Here in Fair Oaks (Sacramento County) I am picking up KTNC14, KOFY19, KPIX29, KQED30, KMTP33, KRON38, KCNS39 and KKPX41 very well most of the time. I have not seen KNTV or KGO yet though.

Funny thing, apparently there is some issue with the PSIP data from KVIE9. I have one tuner which I can tune directly to 9.1 and get KVIE no problem. But the channel mapped converters I have all get KQED when I go to 9.1. I see no way to convince my CM-7000s to get KVIE instead of KQED right now.
kev4321's Avatar kev4321
03:12 AM Liked: 10
post #4822 of 11554
06-25-2009 | Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Guy View Post

Funny thing, apparently there is some issue with the PSIP data from KVIE9. I have one tuner which I can tune directly to 9.1 and get KVIE no problem. But the channel mapped converters I have all get KQED when I go to 9.1. I see no way to convince my CM-7000s to get KVIE instead of KQED right now.

The Zenith DTT901 converter box might be able to handle that. I think it could pull in multiple channels that have the same virtual n.n number from different markets.

I mentioned what I saw that made me think this in this 6/14/09 message in the update()s part.
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA
04:37 AM Liked: 67
post #4823 of 11554
06-25-2009 | Posts: 14,470
Quote:

That's a good point to mention about the branding aspect. It's funny, I haven't heard one single person on AVS say that they love the channel-mapping and that they should keep it.

I love the channel mapping--they should keep it.

There, I'm one.

- Trip
kev4321's Avatar kev4321
06:08 AM Liked: 10
post #4824 of 11554
06-25-2009 | Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev4321 View Post

I also did this for http://www.winegard.com/ too.

check local Frys - I saw some at Brokaw Rd.

(Sorry for the size of this message. It sort of snowballed)

Thanks. This was for my father who, rather impulsively in my opinion, bought a Channel Master 4221HD (4-bay UHF) a month or so ago. (I was thinking he should get a VHF/UHF combo antenna). And then he lost his favorite ABC7 News when they changed things. I had printed out gjvrieze's message from 6/14 in this thread which mentions a couple of VHF-HI antennas.

My father wanted to pick one up locally (and a preamp that combined UHF and VHF). Anyway, what he ended up doing as a short-term solution was to tape a pair of rabbit ears to a backyard-facing window. He then combined this with the 4221HD's signal. It solved the problem.

(tape was clear packing tape)

update1-a(
As it turns out adhesive remover had to be used on the rabbit ears afterwards. Well, I suppose it didn't have to be. But the thing probably would've gotten gummed up.

As far as the preamp I had referred him to DPlettner's 6/19/09 message mentioning the Channel Master 7777 preamp. And so that's the one he was looking to pick up locally too.
)

Anyway, then pixelation on 6/21 posted a message saying that they were able to get KGO using their DB2 (2-bay UHF) in Sunnyvale. I suggested my father try using just his 4221HD again. It worked. So the need for the VHF-HI antenna sort of disappeared for the time being. (I don't think Frys carries these VHF-HI antennas)

Some interesting things we discovered
While KGO was at its weaker signal strength still we were able to get it if we rotated the UHF antenna so that it was facing sideways to the direction of the transmission tower.

Some people were saying how they didn't want to purchase a special VHF-HI antenna just for KGO 7. So maybe a solution is to purchase another UHF antenna that you have facing sideways. That way when KGO 7 moves up higher on the Sutro tower you won't be stuck with a VHF-HI antenna that you don't need. And now you can utilize that 2nd UHF antenna to pick up channels from some other market (potentially anyway).

(maybe this screwy solution only works because he's 17 miles from the transmission tower)

This was actually a suggestion I made to my father at one point. But the need disappeared when KGO boosted their transmission power.

With the 4221HD facing sideways there were only two channels that weren't coming in, I think. That was KRON4 and some other. So my father bought an amplifier at Frys. It didn't help with KRON4, but it did pull in KOVR 25 CBS 13.1 from the Sacramento market. tvfool.com said this channel was 60 to 70 miles away and on the other side of two hills. But since pulling in distant channels wasn't our focus we didn't try to see what else we could get.

update1-b(
The only thing I was suggesting was that someone that has an outdoor UHF antenna already that is having trouble getting KGO and can easily rotate the UHF antenna, well you might try doing so. And if it works consider getting another UHF like the one you have. Or perhaps a stronger one (more bays or something) so that you could do that thing of getting Sacramento too. And perhaps this is more directed at those that were opposed to buying a VHI-HI antenna just for KGO. (yes KNTV transmits at VHF 12, but they have a strong signal, so that's a nonissue, at least here).

Personally I would only bother if I could return the 2nd antenna in case the exercise proves fruitless.

I suppose there are so many preconditions on this that I shouldn't even bother mentioning it.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
has a "Using a UHF antenna for VHF" section at the end.

But I don't know how well it applies since it might not be taking into account the sideways orientation.
)

The amplifier:

Vanco: 120041 25dB Amp Video Amplifier for CATV & MATV, Switchable FM Trap

http://www.frys.com/product/4187093

Vanco's own website has more details on it.
A few days later I tried repeating that earlier experience with the same antenna and amplifier. I was unable to get KOVR or any other stations from the Sacramento market.

List of channels in the Sacramento market:
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=27

update2(
Disclaimer: I'm not qualified to give antenna advice.

For other subjects where I am more knowledgeable I always wince when a clueless person muddies the waters by suggesting a crackpot solution where a proven one works infinitely better. So that's why I hate to mention the sideways facing UHF antenna to pick up VHF thing.
)
09:32 AM Liked: 10
post #4825 of 11554
06-25-2009 | Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I love the channel mapping--they should keep it.

There, I'm one.

- Trip

Really?, tell us what you love about it.
09:37 AM Liked: 67
post #4826 of 11554
It allows stations to retain their analog channel numbers, reducing consumer confusion. (It may be complicated to us, but to the masses, this is much less confusing.) Telling everyone that 75% of their channels (or more) changed numbers on them is a great way to cause anger and frustration.

It also allows stations to retain their branding, which if it had to be changed, would result in changing all graphics, repainting buildings and vehicles, etc. Virtual channels save a lot of money and resources.

Ideally, I'd prefer not to get into this argument again. I've had this argument several times in different threads. I just had to answer your comment that you'd "hadn't heard of one single person" who liked them.

- Trip
09:41 AM Liked: 10
post #4827 of 11554
Anyone else experiencing bad reception today? I almost thought it was my equipment - maybe it still is... Signals seem to be down 50+% on most of my long-distance stations. We've got pretty thick fog at the moment, here in Santa Rosa.

I've never seen it as bad as today.

UPDATE: Dense fog burned off by noon and all the stations are coming in exceptionally well now. Never had a batch of fog attenuate the signals that drastically before.
09:48 AM Liked: 67
post #4828 of 11554
The FCC appears to have granted KFTL-CA their STA to operate digitally on channel 28...

- Trip
09:50 AM Liked: 10
post #4829 of 11554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

It allows stations to retain their analog channel numbers, reducing consumer confusion. (It may be complicated to us, but to the masses, this is much less confusing.) Telling everyone that 75% of their channels (or more) changed numbers on them is a great way to cause anger and frustration.

It also allows stations to retain their branding, which if it had to be changed, would result in changing all graphics, repainting buildings and vehicles, etc. Virtual channels save a lot of money and resources.

Ideally, I'd prefer not to get into this argument again. I've had this argument several times in different threads. I just had to answer your comment that you'd "hadn't heard of one single person" who liked them.

- Trip

Okay Trip. Peace!
shawnsosa's Avatar shawnsosa
01:28 PM Liked: 10
post #4830 of 11554
06-25-2009 | Posts: 1
Ok so I am thinking of trying for OTA reception. The thing is I will have a hard time explaining to my wife I am speding $200+ on an antenna to find out if we can even get the signal. We are in an apartment complex by the JC and have one area that is flat roof where I can use a nonpenetrating flat roof stand for the antenna. The thing is the border that faces south (to Sutro) has a power line/Comcast/phone line just higher that our 2 story building, and a line of trees quite a bit higher. I am wondering if I should even bother considering the cost and the chances Iof partial success/failure.

I want to get NBC/CBS/FOX/ABC/CW (the major networks) and anything else would be topping.

Here is a picture of my location by sattelite where I put a red line for the power and you can see the trees there as well. The blue dot is where I can place an antenna. And the yellow line would be the general direction to Sutro. (you can see the trees are about 5'-10' away from the placement and taller than our building)

My question. I am paying around $25 a month for basic cable Comcast for the cleam QAM.

Would spending $200 or so give me the channels I want OTA? No one I know has an antenna to get an idea of signal here.

Would I have any luck getting the stations mentioned above with my conditions?

Thank for any input and advice.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Subscribe to this Thread