post #631 of 11052 Old 01-17-2005, 02:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

Originally posted by foobar007
I've comcast HD service in SFO/bayarea, with Motorola HDTV receiver box and Samsung DLP TV. Unfortunately, comcast don't offer Fox HD . What's the best way for me to get Fox HD (for Super Bowl!)? What additional hardware do I need? TIA!

OTA is really the only way to get Fox-HD here. Do you have an antenna and a terrestrial receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 11052 Old 01-17-2005, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
>>Do you have an antenna and a terrestrial receiver?

No, I don't have either of these one. which one (brand, model) do you recommend to get Fox-HD using OTA? TIA!
post #633 of 11052 Old 01-17-2005, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No, I don't have either of these one. which one (brand, model) do you recommend to get Fox-HD using OTA? TIA!

Well the consensus seems to be a Channel Master 4228 for antenna, a 7777 or 7775 pre-amp and the LG LST-4200A is highly regarded as a tuner. Depending on where you are located in relation to Sutro Tower you may get away with less.

You also have PM.
post #634 of 11052 Old 01-17-2005, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Doesn't your Motorola box have an input for an Antenna? If it does, you won't need to invest in another receiver. Just get an antenna (depending upon your exact location, you may or may not be able to get away with an internal antenna). Most people here seem to have had success with the CM 4228 - external antenna.

Good luck.
post #635 of 11052 Old 01-17-2005, 05:35 PM

Wondering if there is any update on availability of fox HD by Superbowl.Comcast never committed this date,it was just speculation by chronicle reporter.

As the superbowl approaches , there is quite bit of dilemma on whether to host SB party or not.It would be emberassing if we dont get fox hd by then.My HOA(home owners assn) does not allow us to use dish or antenna outside of the house, I donot think indoor antennas will pick up signal in San Jose (from SFO).I bought a 60" wega a month ago and all my friends like it and they are counting on me for hosting superbowl party.It is very frustrating...Anybody in similar boat?
post #636 of 11052 Old 01-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by sravan
My HOA(home owners assn) does not allow us to use dish or antenna outside of the house,

Federal law trumps the HOA. If you have somewhere for your "exclusive use" you can mount a dish or antenna on it. The HOA can only suggest sites for better placement, not ban it totally.
post #637 of 11052 Old 01-17-2005, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by wish_i_had_hdtv
Doesn't your Motorola box have an input for an Antenna? If it does, you won't need to invest in another receiver. Just get an antenna (depending upon your exact location, you may or may not be able to get away with an internal antenna). Most people here seem to have had success with the CM 4228 - external antenna.

Good luck.

The Moto box is a cable box and does not have a ATSC tuner nor an input for one.
post #638 of 11052 Old 01-17-2005, 05:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by btwyx
Federal law trumps the HOA. If you have somewhere for your "exclusive use" you can mount a dish or antenna on it. The HOA can only suggest sites for better placement, not ban it totally.

Absolutely, just let your HOA know you are going to put something up and do they have any preference where they would prefer it to be mounted. But be clear with them, that it will be put up. It's the law.
post #639 of 11052 Old 01-17-2005, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know of a dealer that sells the LG LST-4200A in the SF area?
post #640 of 11052 Old 01-17-2005, 11:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by netarc
Anyone know of a dealer that sells the LG LST-4200A in the SF area?

There is a place in San Jose but I don't recall the name. I think it's Custom Stereo or Custom HiFi, something like that.
post #641 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 11:18 AM

Can anyone in San Jose tell me if they can pick up Fox 35-DT with an OTA antenna out of the Fremont Peak tower in the Salinas area? Living behind a hill, I've lost all hope for trying to pick up Fox 2/KTVU-DT and I already returned my antenna.

Being that the Fremont Peak tower is only 40 miles south, I thought maybe I'd have a shot. I have a clear view, and titantv.com says I should be able to get a 'good' signal from it.

However, I'd guess that the signal from this tower is specifically aimed towards the Monterey area and it'd be tough to pick up. Anyone?

post #642 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 11:29 AM

Quote:

First of all, make sure if your Samsung DLP has a built-in ATSC tuner. I have a Mits 62725 and it has a built-in tuner. I connected the TV with a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna, taped it, san the stand, on top of an 8-foot bookshelf right next to my TV (i.e., indoor), point it in the northernly direction, and boom, I get everything, Fox, CBS, ABC, NBC (both 11 and 48.2), UPN, WB, all the PBS's, action36, jazzTV (??) and a slew of other stuff. Occasionally the signal will break up, mostly during the day, but it's been pretty good and I don't even have to have the antenna outdoor.

If the Sammy doesn't have a tuner, then yes, you will need a HDTV tuner, or subscribe to Voom, which will provide you with an OTA antenna and a STB with tuner. I am in the Sunnyvale area.
post #643 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My tv also have an HD tuner... I connected an old VHF and UHF internal antenna, and like mrhph, pointed to the north, scanned for channels - now I can get most HD and digital channels.

After some tweaking, I got the best reception for Fox and told my family not to move it until the superbowl! It is showing an 82 - 88 signal level on my tv. I will try to see if those antennas with amps will help to improve the reception.

I am in South San Francisco... the height of the place maybe a big factor for me getting a good reception with an internal antenna.
post #644 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FiloD
My tv also have an HD tuner... I connected an old VHF and UHF internal antenna, and like mrhph, pointed to the north, scanned for channels - now I can get most HD and digital channels.

After some tweaking, I got the best reception for Fox and told my family not to move it until the superbowl! It is showing an 82 - 88 signal level on my tv. I will try to see if those antennas with amps will help to improve the reception.

I am in South San Francisco... the height of the place maybe a big factor for me getting a good reception with an internal antenna.

How do you check the signal strength? Is there an option on your TV to look at the signal strength of a particular channel?
post #645 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

Originally posted by keenan
There is a place in San Jose but I don't recall the name. I think it's Custom Stereo or Custom HiFi, something like that.

It's called Century Stereo and is located in the Paseo de Saratoga shopping center. I bought mine there last August for about $300.
post #646 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 12:19 PM

My Samsung external tuner has signal strength readings available from the main menu.
post #647 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 12:42 PM

I spent quite a bit of time researching, testing and getting this solution to work, so thought I'd share.

I have a Samsung DLP 4663W which runs at 720p.
Recently I invested in the Samsung T451 tuner, which took forever to find one locally.
I was determined to get HD OTA and not go the comcast or directv route, even though I had both at my disposal.
I connected a Radio Shack 15-1880 ampified indoor antenna and only got 1 UHF channel on the first floor, moved it upstairs to the closet and started to receive CBS from Sutro at 40-50%.

I moved the antenna to the attic just yesterday, scanned for channels and am glad to report CBS at 80%, Fox HD at 60%, KRON and all the PBS channels at viewable reception. I had ABC going as well, but somewhere in moving the antenna around I lost the signal and didn't want to fuss around with it any more.

Yes there is hope for east bay valley residents who need an indoor antenna option. Moving the antenna into the attic was key. I most likely will upgrade the antenna to an outdoor multi-directional w\\ an attic install, now that I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I am looking forward to seeing both the NFL conference championshjips and super bowl in OTA HD. The broadcast was very impressive. It was nice to see snow flakes melt on the back of the qb's neck during the game.

-Joe
post #648 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by Otto Pylot
It's called Century Stereo and is located in the Paseo de Saratoga shopping center. I bought mine there last August for about $300.

Well, I had half of it right.
post #649 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by ratlhead
Can anyone in San Jose tell me if they can pick up Fox 35-DT with an OTA antenna out of the Fremont Peak tower in the Salinas area? Living behind a hill, I've lost all hope for trying to pick up Fox 2/KTVU-DT and I already returned my antenna.

Being that the Fremont Peak tower is only 40 miles south, I thought maybe I'd have a shot. I have a clear view, and titantv.com says I should be able to get a 'good' signal from it.

However, I'd guess that the signal from this tower is specifically aimed towards the Monterey area and it'd be tough to pick up. Anyone?

Didn't I post this for you someplace else, or was it someone else? Not sure, anyway, check out this contour map, if you have a clear shot at the transmitter and you are only 40 miles away, I would say you have an excellent chance at getting KCBA.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT669674.html
Service Area Map
post #650 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by keenan
Didn't I post this for you someplace else, or was it someone else? Not sure, anyway, check out this contour map, if you have a clear shot at the transmitter and you are only 40 miles away, I would say you have an excellent chance at getting KCBA.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT669674.html
Service Area Map

It's certainly possible it was me. I apologize for the multiple posts. Just trying to find good, reliable help. I'm doing my best to understand all this stuff...seems there's so much to know with the laws, technical aspects, what's available, etc and I'm just starting to get it all. Thanks very much for your help man... Gonna try real hard to get that channel tonight.

-Mike

post #651 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 01:21 PM

I spent quite a bit of time researching, testing and getting this solution to work, so thought I'd share.

I have a Samsung DLP 4663W which runs at 720p.
Recently I invested in the Samsung T451 tuner, which took forever to find one locally.
I was determined to get HD OTA and not go the comcast or directv route, even though I had both at my disposal.
I connected a Radio Shack 15-1880 ampified indoor antenna and only got 1 UHF channel on the first floor, moved it upstairs to the closet and started to receive CBS from Sutro at 40-50%.

I moved the antenna to the attic just yesterday, scanned for channels and am glad to report CBS at 80%, Fox HD at 60%, KRON and all the PBS channels at viewable reception. I had ABC going as well, but somewhere in moving the antenna around I lost the signal and didn't want to fuss around with it any more.

Yes there is hope for east bay valley residents who need an indoor antenna option. Moving the antenna into the attic was key. I most likely will upgrade the antenna to an outdoor multi-directional w\\ an attic install, now that I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I am looking forward to seeing both the NFL conference championships and super bowl in OTA HD. The broadcast this past weekend was very impressive. It was nice to see snow flakes melt on the back of the qb's neck during the game.

-Joe
post #652 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by ratlhead
It's certainly possible it was me. I apologize for the multiple posts. Just trying to find good, reliable help. I'm doing my best to understand all this stuff...seems there's so much to know with the laws, technical aspects, what's available, etc and I'm just starting to get it all. Thanks very much for your help man... Gonna try real hard to get that channel tonight.

-Mike

You might try the Yahoo HDTV-in-SFbay Group for info as well. A lot of knowledgeable folks there.
post #653 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by mrhph
How do you check the signal strength? Is there an option on your TV to look at the signal strength of a particular channel?

mrhph - my consumer pana does have an option in the menu to test the signal strength of a digital feed..
post #654 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by FiloD
mrhph - my consumer pana does have an option in the menu to test the signal strength of a digital feed..

Someone correct me here please but isn't the 'signal strength' readings on the STB's not a true measure of signal strength as we (I) think of it? I think I read somewhere that the readings are actually the quality of the received signal and not the actual energy received(?). I'm sure someone here has the more definitive answer. I only bring that up because my LST-4200A has never shown a 'signal strength' of greater than 40-50% which one would think is really crappy, but I've never lost signal and the pq is just great even with the recent storms. The only problems I've ever had were Sutro-related (maintenance, control room issues, etc). In fact, I never even bother with the reading anymore because it never changes and my reception is damn-near perfect all the time.
post #655 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I haven't been receiving KRON D04-1SD or D04-2HD for over 24 hours. Are they down? I'm in Berkeley and getting KTVU digital OK.
post #656 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Originally posted by jsantors

Are you in the hills of San Ramon or down in the valley floor? I'm not optimistic about my locale in Alamo, not being on a hill but surrounded by them.

Bill
post #657 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 07:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by Otto Pylot
Someone correct me here please but isn't the 'signal strength' readings on the STB's not a true measure of signal strength as we (I) think of it? I think I read somewhere that the readings are actually the quality of the received signal and not the actual energy received(?). I'm sure someone here has the more definitive answer. I only bring that up because my LST-4200A has never shown a 'signal strength' of greater than 40-50% which one would think is really crappy, but I've never lost signal and the pq is just great even with the recent storms. The only problems I've ever had were Sutro-related (maintenance, control room issues, etc). In fact, I never even bother with the reading anymore because it never changes and my reception is damn-near perfect all the time.

To the best of my knowledge you are correct. That signal strength reading is actually a measure of the amount of error correction being used or not used to lock the data stream.
post #658 of 11052 Old 01-18-2005, 07:42 PM

Signal strength on satellite and ATSC turners is the percentage of undamaged frames. That is frames that didn't require error correction before they could be rendered. Here are more detailed explainations:

Craig
post #659 of 11052 Old 01-19-2005, 01:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Since there has been a lot folks looking at equipment to receive KTVU-HD by the time the Super Bowl is here, and I have a complete OTA setup that I have no use for, I asked SonomaSearcher if it would be okay to post this as I would like to see if a fellow AVS member can take advantage of the equipment to get the KTVU-HD signal.

Equipment includes,

LG LST4200A-- about 4 mos old with about 20HRs on it
CM 4228 antenna
CM 7777 or 7778 whichever is the UHF model, can't remember
CM 9521A rotor
and some masts

PM me if interested, very, very reasonable. I hope somebody can take advantage of it as it's just sitting gathering dust at my place.

Sonoma, if this post needs editing, go right ahead and fix it.
post #660 of 11052 Old 01-19-2005, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Craig and Keenan about the signal strength readings. Keenan, that's a nice setup you have for OTA. Sorry to hear you can't use it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page