San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 10862 Old 01-27-2005, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Half the battle with HDTV, OTA or cable, is knowing what's your problem and what's caused by the local station. It's sorta like going back to Windows 3.1: mostly works.

DeaneG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 10862 Old 01-27-2005, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by imott
Strangely enough it improved for me too! It was flawless until The Simple Life came on the I got a few dropouts. Coincidentally, all programming prior to this was not in DD 5.1. The Simple Life was. I wonder if this had something to do with the dropouts.

I had DD 5.1 for AI last night on FOX. My digtial AV was lite up and the sub woofer was pounding during the opening segments.

-Joe
post #723 of 10862 Old 01-27-2005, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jsantors
I had DD 5.1 for AI last night on FOX. My digtial AV was lite up and the sub woofer was pounding during the opening segments.

Nothin' like Paris and Nicole in SD (Yes I said SD) and DD5.1!
post #724 of 10862 Old 01-27-2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Nothin' like Paris and Nicole in SD (Yes I said SD) and DD5.1!

I didn't watch SL because it was not in HD. Actually the color was really bad, very reddish.
I did watch AI and that had the DD 5.1 working and the production and color looked good.

-Joe
post #725 of 10862 Old 01-27-2005, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote]Originally posted by rickmccamy
[b]kaduka- Direct also told me they could not get waivers from KTVU. Recently in a tivo thread a post by "kltazman" on 1-11-2005 stated he had been told that ktvu was now granting waivers to direct subscribers. Check it out. He gave an e-mail address a KTVU for your waiver request: pat.macholl@ktvu.com .Give it a try , I did.

Okay so I e-mailed pat.macholl on 1-14-05 and today via e-mail I received a positive response to my waiver request. wahoo!!!

RMc---y
Available HDTV in Walnut Creek
post #726 of 10862 Old 01-27-2005, 01:35 PM

Yeah, the stations are giving the waivers lately, but DTV is NOT turning on the channels (for most folks, anyway). I hope you have better luck than the others I've been reading about...

Ken
HR10-250 - my new toy!
2 Hughes DTivos, (lifetime, 1 upgraded to ~188 hours, the other upgraded to ~230 hours.)
post #727 of 10862 Old 01-27-2005, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Direct's csr told me to expect FOX within 3 business days(or longer). Also I had to ask him the status of my ABC&NBC waivers- ABC yes NBC denied. freakin KCRA.

RMc---y
post #728 of 10862 Old 01-27-2005, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, now I need to apologize to the lovely people at KCRA in Sacramento, who I may have just referred to as freakin. At 3:00pm this afternoon Direct's CSR told me I had been denied a waiver by NBC (KCRA). When I got home at 4:30pm there was a very cordial letter from Stefan J. Hadl, Director of Engineering, KCRA TV, stating the station's non-objection to my waiver. This was faxed to Direct with assurances that 3 business days from now I will be receiving both FOX&NBC. ABC LA was operating when I got home, though I did have to ask Direct to turn it on.

RMc---y
post #729 of 10862 Old 01-27-2005, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Joe in San Ramon wrote:

> Kron, PBS and ABC are in and out.

Remember, KQED and KGO are still operating at half power. The new parts for the antenna were supposed to arrive this week, so we should soon be hearing that they're back to full power.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #730 of 10862 Old 01-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rickmccamy
kaduka- Direct also told me they could not get waivers from KTVU. Recently in a tivo thread a post by "kltazman" on 1-11-2005 stated he had been told that ktvu was now granting waivers to direct subscribers. Check it out. He gave an e-mail address at KTVU for your waiver request: pat.macholl@ktvu.com .Give it a try , I did. I am across town, off 1st Ave., near Larkey Park. We have hills rising up to 800'+ just to the west. I haven't met anyone around town getting a decent hd ota signal.Good Luck. Of course if we get KTVU waivers then do we have to deal with ch.40 in sacto?

rickmccamy,
Thanks alot for the information. This will be my first time ever to request one of these and I am not an av expert. What information should I provide in the email?

We Walnut Creekans must stick together and will previal in our search for HD content!!!!!!!!!!

Laterz
post #731 of 10862 Old 01-28-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Larry Kenney
Joe in San Ramon wrote:

> Kron, PBS and ABC are in and out.

Remember, KQED and KGO are still operating at half power. The new parts for the antenna were supposed to arrive this week, so we should soon be hearing that they're back to full power.

Larry

Good news, thanks for the info. I am installing my pre-amp this weekend, now I won't go crazy when I still get weak signals from those stations. Pretty funny to hear they are waiting for parts to fix the antenna. Sounds like a long, drawn out service call to me. My customers would never stadn for those kind of delays. At least they are at 1/2 power.

-Joe
post #732 of 10862 Old 01-28-2005, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kaduku
rickmccamy,

We Walnut Creekans must stick together and will previal in our search for HD content!!!!!!!!!!

We could get a flag! Anyway, in my e-mail to Patricia, I spoke of my desire to see FOXHD programming, Comcast's inability to provide an HD signal to most of Walnut Creek, and the topography, 800' to 1200' coastal hills between their transmitter and my valley floor location. The waiver I received is temporary, until Direct supplies us with KTVU's HD signal, so I would ask her for just that, a temporary waiver. She must have a ton of these on her desk so a 13 calender day turnaround is pretty good.

Direct said it would handle my waivers to NBC & ABC , but I e-mailed their station managers as well. Either KCRA denied Direct's request or someone was mistaken, but I had KCRA's letter "not objecting" to my personal request to fax to Direct.

Also, I think it is important to personally request that Direct turn on a station even after they have received a waiver. Good Luck!

p.s. When you get through to a human at Direct, immediately ask for The HD Eligibility Line, or Desk,one of those, They are knowledgeable and helpful.

RMc---y
post #733 of 10862 Old 01-28-2005, 03:24 PM

I am in Fremont, 94536.

For HD, most of the time all I see is a screen saying the program will begin shortly.

I got INHD and INHD2 for a few weeks and then it stopped. I get Discovery HD pretty consistently along with KPIX. KRON once in a while. KGO only once. I've never seen the other HD channels in operation.

Has anyone else run into anything similar? Is there something that I need to be doing or having Comcast do?
post #734 of 10862 Old 01-28-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by unagi1
I am in Fremont, 94536.

For HD, most of the time all I see is a screen saying the program will begin shortly.

I got INHD and INHD2 for a few weeks and then it stopped. I get Discovery HD pretty consistently along with KPIX. KRON once in a while. KGO only once. I've never seen the other HD channels in operation.

Has anyone else run into anything similar? Is there something that I need to be doing or having Comcast do?

You are talking HD over cable, yes? This should probably go over in the SF bay area comcast thread, but I'll take a shot at your question. What box are you using to get your HD signal. Are you using a comcast box or a non-comcast box (with a QAM tuner)?
post #735 of 10862 Old 01-29-2005, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Okay, now I need to apologize to the lovely people at KCRA in Sacramento, who I may have just referred to as freakin. At 3:00pm this afternoon Direct's CSR told me I had been denied a waiver by NBC (KCRA). When I got home at 4:30pm there was a very cordial letter from Stefan J. Hadl, Director of Engineering, KCRA TV, stating the station's non-objection to my waiver. This was faxed to Direct with assurances that 3 business days from now I will be receiving both FOX&NBC. ABC LA was operating when I got home, though I did have to ask Direct to turn it on.

are you getting the FOX HD and NBC HD channels on Direct (channel 80-something)? or are you talking about local?
post #736 of 10862 Old 01-29-2005, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jaberocs
are you getting the FOX HD and NBC HD channels on Direct (channel 80-something)? or are you talking about local?

I am referring to HD. CBS is O&O in both markets of course, so I got that first, channel 81. Direct got me a waiver for ABC (from the Sac station), however, I called and asked an HD CSR about the status of that waiver before they got around to notifying me. I then had to ask to turn it on. Channel 87. I received waivers from KTVU FOX in Oakland and KCRA NBC in Sacramento which I faxed to Direct with assurances that it should take no longer than 3 business days to process. That means Tuesday. I'll let everybody know.

I plan to call Direct Tuesday afternoon to verify processing of my waivers and then to ask them to turn on my channels.

Wish me luck.

p.s. should we start a walnut creek-no/ota-no/comcast help us/d*thread?

RMc---y
post #737 of 10862 Old 01-29-2005, 05:56 PM

holy crap! how'd you get the waivers from KTVU and KCRA? please let me know asap!
post #738 of 10862 Old 01-29-2005, 08:16 PM

Anybody else having trouble with HD on NBC (KNTV) the last couple of days? On 11-1, I am not getting anything. On 11-2 the picture is there but no sound. This is only on the HD programs (Leno last night, Law & Order right now), regular upconverted SD broadcasts are fine.

Same for you guys? Mine is a Samsung T151.

Stan.
post #739 of 10862 Old 01-29-2005, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

holy crap! how'd you get the waivers from KTVU and KCRA? please let me know asap!

I've got several posts over the last few days on this thread that explain what I've been doing. Just scroll back over the last few pages. Mention the terrain problems, ask for temporary waivers until Direct supplies local HD, and mention comcasts inability to supply HD in W.C. You are in Walnut Creek aren't you?

When you have waivers in hand call Direct, ask for the HD Eligibility line, and get their fax line. They say within 3 days of receipt of your fax you'll get the signal. It's important to follow up with calls to their eligibility line.

Good Luck

RMc---y
post #740 of 10862 Old 01-29-2005, 09:57 PM

Quote:

I've got several posts over the last few days on this thread that explain what I've been doing. Just scroll back over the last few pages. Mention the terrain problems, ask for temporary waivers until Direct supplies local HD, and mention comcasts inability to supply HD in W.C. You are in Walnut Creek aren't you?

When you have waivers in hand call Direct, ask for the HD Eligibility line, and get their fax line. They say within 3 days of receipt of your fax you'll get the signal. It's important to follow up with calls to their eligibility line.

Good Luck

i actually live in san francisco...does that change anything?
post #741 of 10862 Old 01-29-2005, 10:24 PM

Just curious...Are discussions regarding waivers to get HD Locals on cable and dish providers appropriate in an HD OTA forum?

I ask only because I am tracking this HD OTA forum for info in an attempt to better recieve HD OTA and I keep getting notifications that a new post has been made to this topic only to find it has to do with getting HD from a cable or dish provider. Maybe this sort of discussion would be better off in it's own topic. Can somebody explain to me how these posts are related to receiving HD OTA.

Thanks!
i
post #742 of 10862 Old 01-30-2005, 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by stan1822
Anybody else having trouble with HD on NBC (KNTV) the last couple of days? On 11-1, I am not getting anything. On 11-2 the picture is there but no sound. This is only on the HD programs (Leno last night, Law & Order right now), regular upconverted SD broadcasts are fine.

Same for you guys? Mine is a Samsung T151.

Stan.

u werent alone.. same thing happened.. but everything is koo now.. also in SJ..
post #743 of 10862 Old 01-30-2005, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote]Originally posted by imott
[b]Just curious...Are discussions regarding waivers to get HD Locals on cable and dish providers appropriate in an HD OTA forum?

Yeah, this Started several days back with my post responding to jsantos writing about recieving ota hd in san ramon, while 12 miles north in w.c. nobody seems to have any luck and comcast is incapable of supplying hd. Replies began to come in and here we are. If you look back a couple of posts you'll see I p.s.'d the idea of a separate thread(Walnut Creek, CA.,Direct HD), but I'm new here, and back on the index it says no new threads. Our problems are very area specific, and Direct seems to be the solution for some time to come. Also, tomorrow afternoon I wilol receive the last of my four waivers, and that will generate even more chat. I realized that we were taking over last night, and that was never my intention.

So what do I do? Start a new thread even it says not to, or, I could be like a virus, moving from host to host, corupting the thread dna until all threads were talking about my problems, EH, maybe not.

RMc---y
post #744 of 10862 Old 01-30-2005, 01:11 PM

[quote]Originally posted by rickmccamy
[b]
Quote:

Just curious...Are discussions regarding waivers to get HD Locals on cable and dish providers appropriate in an HD OTA forum?

Yeah, this Started several days back with my post responding to jsantos writing about recieving ota hd in san ramon, while 12 miles north in w.c. nobody seems to have any luck and comcast is incapable of supplying hd. Replies began to come in and here we are. If you look back a couple of posts you'll see I p.s.'d the idea of a separate thread(Walnut Creek, CA.,Direct HD), but I'm new here, and back on the index it says no new threads. Our problems are very area specific, and Direct seems to be the solution for some time to come. Also, tomorrow afternoon I wilol receive the last of my four waivers, and that will generate even more chat. I realized that we were taking over last night, and that was never my intention.

So what do I do? Start a new thread even it says not to, or, I could be like a virus, moving from host to host, corupting the thread dna until all threads were talking about my problems, EH, maybe not.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe a moderator will moderate?

I'll report myself and see!
post #745 of 10862 Old 01-30-2005, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i actually live in San Francisco...does that change anything?

Uh, Yeah. Fox in Oakland wants you to get an antenna and watch them, probably the same with NBC 11.We get waivers in Walnut Creek because we can receive neither Sacramento nor San Francisco HD OTA, & because I write such charming letters. So you jaberocs, are in the right thread, and need to talk to my friend imott about OTA.

RMc---y
post #746 of 10862 Old 01-30-2005, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, my OTA friends thank you, and all of you who are interested in W.C.'s
HDTV problems, and how and who do you get DNS HD waivers, can visit

WALNUT CREEK, CA-HDTV

no more waiver talk over here!

Walnut Creek, CA - HDTV

RMc---y
post #747 of 10862 Old 01-30-2005, 08:02 PM

ok so now i got the samsung TV5.2 indoor OTA antenna, and i get pretty much every local except KNTV. antennaweb says to aim my antenna towards what i believe is san bruno mtns. it still doesnt work for me. is the transmitter too far? how about a silver sensor or 2 silver sensors?
post #748 of 10862 Old 01-30-2005, 08:32 PM

Quote:

ok so now i got the samsung TV5.2 indoor OTA antenna, and i get pretty much every local except KNTV. antennaweb says to aim my antenna towards what i believe is san bruno mtns...

KNTV is currently broadcasting on VHF channel 12 from Loma Prieta (PSIP 11.1 and 11.2). I'm guessing from the size of the samsung 5.2 that it's UHF-only, which won't work for channel 12.

But, KNTV is also on 48.2 (UHF 49), broadcasting a strong signal out of San Jose (48.1 is Telemundo). Depending where you are located, your antenna may pick it up just fine.

DeaneG
post #749 of 10862 Old 01-30-2005, 09:47 PM

yeah you're right, the samsung only picks up UHF.

since my ant. isnt getting the KNTV signal from San Jose, should i get a VHF antenna or a try another UHF antenna? i know theyre building a new transmitter on san bruno mountains, which i can see from my house. but i dont know how long thats gonna take

im thinking a silver sensor may work, and it's fairly cheap, so i can try the 2 silver sensor trick if one isnt good enough.

or how about the radioshack 15-1880 (http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=15-1880)
post #750 of 10862 Old 01-31-2005, 09:17 AM

Updated San Ramon, CA OTA report:
I installed the DB2 UHF antenna and CM7777 pre-amp this weekend in the attic. It made a big improvement over the radio shack 15-1880 I had been using.

KTVU FOX - 80% signal (superbowl ready)
KRON & HDNet 80%
CBS - 80%
ABC - 80%
PBS HD & others 80%
WB 20 - 80%
UPN 44- 80%
Various other UHF 38, 42, 66 all at 70-80%

-Joe
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version