Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #8341 of 11200 Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any ideas on what KTNC is upto?

They renamed the subchannels, and now have a 4th with color bars up and running; ThisTV is still on 42.3 however..

Code:
SCANNING: 473000000 (us-bcast:14)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=87 snq=63 seq=100)
TSID: 0x00FF
PROGRAM 1: 42.1 KTNC-SF
PROGRAM 2: 42.2 KTNC-SA
PROGRAM 3: 42.3 KTNC-Th
PROGRAM 4: 42.4 KTNC-Br
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8342 of 11200 Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

I missed this one. KEMO received a construction permit last year to increase power to 50 KW. But more importantly part of the permit includes a new antenna with full power pointed down the bay. That means for down the bay the real increase will be 1.5 KW to 50 KW or about 15 dB. Now if they'd just add an English sub channel.

No change for me here as the ERP in my direction is nearly identical.

Chuck

I missed that too... this is the first I've heard about it. Do you know if they've gone to the higher power and new antenna? They sure have a great signal here in San Francisco for being 65 miles away. Last time I checked they were coming in at 27 dB SNR.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lots of Broadcasting links and information:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out photos and info on my antennas:

post #8343 of 11200 Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

TDavis asked about 42.1 KTNC-SF, 42.2 KTNC-SA, 42.3 KTNC-Th and 42.4 KTNC-Br.

KTNC has the same network programming on 42.1 and 42.2 most of the time, but when it comes to informercials, they broadcast separate programs on the two channels. They sell 42.1 for SF and the Bay Area and 42.2 for Sacramento (SA) and the Central Valley. "Th" on 42.3 is for THIS, and I, too, am wondering what "Br" is going to be.

Larry
SF

post #8344 of 11200 Old 02-19-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

I missed that too... this is the first I've heard about it. Do you know if they've gone to the higher power and new antenna? They sure have a great signal here in San Francisco for being 65 miles away. Last time I checked they were coming in at 27 dB SNR.

Larry
SF

The CP was just granted by the FCC on Dec. 2, 2011 so I doubt they've had time to construct the new transmitter and I don't see a filing for a license in the CDBS search.

Chuck

post #8345 of 11200 Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi,

Will someone who has confirmed that they are receiving KGO on RF 35 from monument Peak please check the signal.

Someone on [HDTV-in-SFbay] is reporting problems with KGO and I cannot tell due to my antenna pointing in the wrong direction if it's signal is up and good.

KGO RF 7 is fine.

TIA

EDIT: The OP reported that MCE had entries for both RF 7 and RF 35. RF 35 was deleted and all is fine again.

It may be a case of MCE seeing RF 35 and started using it instead of RF 7 which is the better signal as the OP's antenna is pointed at Sutro. (Campbell, CA)

SHF
post #8346 of 11200 Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTEL08 View Post

hd homerun config gui is showing 100% signal strength on rf 11 , KOTR-LPs approved frequency to transmit from atop loma prieta

im not available to do a scan at the moment however since im recording so i cant scan to verify what it might be.

Road Trip ..... Scanning
KOTR is on 2 in analog, I see 4 analog stations in Salinas. 2,23,29,43
2 Analog
Plus 8-1 KSBW
8-2 CC ABC
22-1 KLFB LD (1 through 4) 43 Analog
23 Analog
25-1 KQET........ 43-1 Azteca
25-2 KQEH........ 43-2 MegaTV
25-3 VE ME ........ 43-3 PGM
29 Analog
35-1 KCBA ........ 43-4 TV FE
38-1 ESNE ....... 46-1 KION
38-2 MCAET ...... 46-2 The CW
38-3 38.3 ...... 67-1 UNI HD
38-4 VZTV ...... 67-2 Telefut
39-1 KMMD-CD ...... 67-3 LATV
post #8347 of 11200 Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

Hi,

Will someone who has confirmed that they are receiving KGO on RF 35 from monument Peak please check the signal.

SHF

RF35 has been dark all weekend for me, after coming in strongly for several weeks.
post #8348 of 11200 Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the KGO translator on channel 35 back on the air?

Larry
SF

post #8349 of 11200 Old 02-21-2012, 06:35 PM

KGO RF 35 is still missing in the South Bay. Until it disappeared over the weekend, it was providing a fantastic picture here in Santa Clara.
post #8350 of 11200 Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 PM

Three missed recordings because I had gone through the trouble of reconfiguring MythTV to use RF-35, which was coming in a little better on the computer tuners.
post #8351 of 11200 Old 02-22-2012, 02:24 PM

Dear AVS members;

Does anyone have experience with channel 54 (RF 50 UHF) reception, in the Berkeley flats or beyond?

My goal is to receive that channel OTA... is this realistic? Right now I get about 20% signal strength on the TiVO using a generic rabbit ear/loop antenna, which is not enough for a picture

Device: TiVO HD XL
Desired Reception: KQEH/KQED Plus 54.1, without messing up KQED or KRCB which I get now at 85% and 80% signal strength respectively.
Available antenna mounting location: first floor chimney 12 feet up from TV, or 2nd floor chimney with 360 degree sky view 30 feet away from TV.

post #8352 of 11200 Old 02-22-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycenesbitt View Post

Dear AVS members;

Does anyone have experience with channel 54 (RF 50 UHF) reception, in the Berkeley flats or beyond?

My goal is to receive that channel OTA... is this realistic? Right now I get about 20% signal strength on the TiVO using a generic rabbit ear/loop antenna, which is not enough for a picture

Device: TiVO HD XL
Desired Reception: KQEH/KQED Plus 54.1, without messing up KQED or KRCB which I get now at 85% and 80% signal strength respectively.
Available antenna mounting location: first floor chimney 12 feet up from TV, or 2nd floor chimney with 360 degree sky view 30 feet away from TV.

Hi,

Entering your Zip code into

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90

shows LOS to KQEH but it is glazing the hills between you and the transmitter.

If you are wanting one antenna to get KQED 9.1 HD from Sutro, KRCB from Sonoma Mt. and KQEH from Mt. Allison without a rotor, well maybe as combining two antennas pointing 90 degrees apart is the one case that might work.

Pointing one at KRCB might give you KQEH from the back and the other 90 degrees away pointing at sutro would be the ideal combination.

IMHO, will it work? NO, not here in the land of multipath.

Having two antennas and downleads with a A/B switch I suspect would work.

A rotor would also work.

Two antennas and downleads to two separate tuners would work.

I suggest that you ask the antenna experts at:

The Official AVS Antenna Topic! - AVS Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3&goto=newpost

Please be sure and lead with:

ZIP Code 94708

and suggest that they look at: TV Fool Google map

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90

and ask them to select "Show lines pointing to each transmitter".

This may be a tough one to make a recommendation.

Please remember that those folks are flatlanders IMHO so the map showing the mountains is very important.

You may quote or link to this post by me.

SHF
post #8353 of 11200 Old 02-22-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

----- Original Message -----
To: HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:10 PM
Subject: Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] KCSM TV sale

On Feb 21, 2012, at 4:48 PM, Stephen H. Fischer hijacked a thread to ask:

When will we get the news about KCSM. Valentines day has come and gone.

SHF

Here's all that has been published about the KCSM sale on the SMCCD.EDU web site:

==========================================

RFP #86635
Sale of KCSM-TV
February 14, 2012

1. Community Educators Television of Orange County, Inc.
2. FM Media
3. KAXT LLC
4. KMTPTV
5. Locus Point Networks
6. San Mateo Community Television Corp.

===============================================

My remarks:
This is just a list of the bid packages received by the district office.
There is no indication that any of the bids are complete, qualified, or acceptable.

Hi,
Interesting!

3. Good move for KAXT, more power and better transmitter location.

4. HUH!!!! They cannot operate the station they have already.

1, 6. If KCSM cannot make it by begging, can someone else? Please tell me it is possible.

2,5. See 1,6.

Big question. As KCSM has an educational license, can this be converted to a commercial one?

If it cannot then all plans will fail because of the huge money sucking KQED that gets all the begging money available wherever their signal is heard.

Duped to AVS.

SHF
post #8354 of 11200 Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Community Television Educators sounds like Daystar. They've been buying up non-comms. See the uproar in Orlando.

KAXT is the one that has me confused. I don't know how they could operate it since it's non-comm.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8355 of 11200 Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Community Television Educators sounds like Daystar. They've been buying up non-comms. See the uproar in Orlando.

KAXT is the one that has me confused. I don't know how they could operate it since it's non-comm.

- Trip

Hi,

To me, KAXT wants on Sutro by any means.

It might be a complicated deal involving several parties.

Sort of like one catcher and a half back plus a draft pick to one party, a quater back and a first base player plus two minor league players to a second, and a transmitter site on Sutro to the third and a transmitter site on Mt. Allison to the fourth.

I am sure that KTNC wants off Mt. Diablo badly due to it's problems there.

Where will RF 14, RF 43 and RF 42 end up? Perhaps one on a rowboat in the middle of the bay.

I just do not see any non-comm existing next to KQED here. KRCB may be the next to go, I said that long ago.

Where KMTP gets it money is unknown to me, another station on Sutro when they have one already. Please explain that to me.

SHF

To: HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com

Quote:

#1 is a subsidiary of Daystar Television Network, a Dallas based church ministry that runs 70 TV stations around the country.
A lot of them are LP stations, but I suspect they know how keep the money flowing...

post #8356 of 11200 Old 02-23-2012, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

At 00:05 2/23/2012 I found that KGO RF 35 was back on the air.

This was using the MYHD tuner.

SHF
post #8357 of 11200 Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RFP #86635
Sale of KCSM-TV
February 14, 2012

1. Community Educators Television of Orange County, Inc.
2. FM Media
3. KAXT LLC
4. KMTPTV
5. Locus Point Networks
6. San Mateo Community Television Corp.

This looks like the list of groups/companies that bought KCSM. If so, then that doesn't mean KAXT would have any of their Fremont sub channels on KCSM.

Chuck

post #8358 of 11200 Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 PM

Thanks. In my case everything I watch is first recorded by TiVO, so rotors and switches are out. The TiVo does have two RF inputs, so if I need a special purpose antenna for KQED Plus that's OK.

post #8359 of 11200 Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My goal is to receive that channel OTA... is this realistic? Right now I get about 20% signal strength on the TiVO using a generic rabbit ear/loop antenna, which is not enough for a picture.

In my case everything I watch is first recorded by TiVO, so rotors and switches are out. The TiVo does have two RF inputs, so if I need a special purpose antenna for KQED Plus that's OK.

It's definitely realistic, but you'll need a fancy antenna arrangement. You want KRCB and KQEH and they're in exteme opposite directions from you and some distance away, so you'll need two antennas.

Since there are several other stations that transmit from the KQEH site (KICU, KDTV, KAXT, KSTS) I would recommend a good UHF antenna pointed toward Fremont and a separate antenna pointed toward Sonoma Mountain near Santa Rosa.

Since you have two inputs to your TIVO, check to see if the two antennas will work together. If not you'll need to connect them together using a Jointenna tuned for channel 23 - KRCB's transmit channel. That will allow all stations to come in on the antenna pointed towards the South Bay and limit the other to just channel 23. That way you won't have the two antennas interfering with each other.

You'll have to search the web for a company that carries the Jointenna. I don't know who carries them any more. Someone else on here might be able to help with that information.

The antenna pointed south should be able to be adjusted to pick up the South Bay stations plus the stations from Sutro Tower and Mt. San Bruno, but there's no guarantees.

Good luck!

Larry
SF

post #8360 of 11200 Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a bit of information that might be useful for some of you. I noticed today while playing with my antennas that I can receive good signals for Sacramento/Stockton channels KVIE 6 (RF 9), 10 (RF 10) and 13 (RF 25) from the Walnut Grove transmitter site with my antennas pointed at 310 degrees. Signals are there for 31 and 58 as well, but they're too weak to produce a picture. It's interesting that the signal on KVIE is stronger in this direction than it is with the antenna pointed at Walnut Grove!

Walnut Grove is actually at 55 degrees from here, so I'm getting a nice reflection off of something in the hills north of Twin Peaks. I don't know if it'll work for anyone else, but if you have a rotor you might want to give it a try. You never know what surprises you find when tuning around and playing with your antennas!

Larry
SF

post #8361 of 11200 Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. In my case everything I watch is first recorded by TiVO, so rotors and switches are out. The TiVo does have two RF inputs, so if I need a special purpose antenna for KQED Plus that's OK.

The Channel Master Jointenna is not made anymore but Tinlee makes such a device. You can join a single channel to a broadband antenna with one box.

http://www.tinlee.com/PDF/AC7-custom...kup%20Info.pdf

If you call them, ask for Phillip. He's very helpful.

You could point one antenna at Sonoma Mountain for KRCB on 23 and point another at Fremont for the other 4 or 5 stations which range from 36 to 51. That should work fine.

I assume you'd like to watch the SF stations too. I guess you use one of your TiVo antenna ports for the combined antennas and the other for an antenna pointed to SF.

Chuck

post #8362 of 11200 Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

The Channel Master Jointenna is not made anymore but Tinlee makes such a device.

http://www.tinlee.com/PDF/AC7-custom...kup%20Info.pdf

I have that equipment, but made by "Delta-Benco-Cascade" of Ontario, Canada
and another made by "Jerrold" General Instrument. Canada

These devices are all made in Canada ?
post #8363 of 11200 Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I found some more information about the KCSM sale.

It is old news but the website is mainly locked for me!

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/articl....php?id=224189

Quote:

According to the request for proposals, the bidder would gain access to the assets of KCSM-TV including a full power non-commercial transmission facility licensed by the Federal Communications Commission and take assignment of the station licenses. The purchase would include most of the equipment, which the buyer would be responsible for uninstalling, transporting and reinstalling. The bidder must be either a nonprofit corporation or another type of eligible entity permitted to operate a noncommercial television station.

A pre-bid meeting will be held at KCSM Jan. 10, prior to the Feb. 14 submission deadline. On March 15, district staff will meet with finalists. The board is expected to approve the sale April 25.

post #8364 of 11200 Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 PM

I live close to the Windemere Public Library. I have installed Clearstream 5 (VHF) antenna along with DB4 (UHF) antenna with 33dB gain preamp. These antennas are attic mounted.

I am able to get decent signals from Sutro tower (KTVU, KRON4, CBS, ABC, KQED, KOFY etc) but not able to get anything from Mt. Alison, Fremont (PBS KTEH Ch. 54 etc.) or San Bruno (NBC KNTV ch 11, KTSF ch 26) towers.

I was hoping to receive KNTV, KTSF from San Bruno since signals from Sutro tower works fine. Any comment?

I was able to get KTEH Ch 54. last year but no longer. Any changes w.r.t. transmitter config that might be causing signal loss? I have rescanned TV tuner to reconfigure channels but no improvement.

Appreciate your tips/suggestions.
post #8365 of 11200 Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried finding your location. It looks like the Windemere Library is actually the Dougherty Station Library according to what I found on-line.

Then I looked at the signal strength overlays in Google Earth. All the Fremont stations are strong there and so-so from Sutro and San Bruno but there are a few shadowed spots to Fremont. If you're not receiving the Fremont stations it's probably because you need to point your antennas at them.

Go to tvfool.com and run your exact address and look to see that the Fremont stations are LOS.

For someone in your location, I would never recommend an attic antenna. It looks like it's all single family homes in that area so an antenna with a rotor on the roof would do much better.

Also, you don't need a 33 dB gain preamp, 15 dB would be better. It's easy to overload those high gain preamps.

We just went through a discussion with another person in San Ramon. You might want to read that starting here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21588534

Chuck

post #8366 of 11200 Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 AM

As far as PBS is concerned you should already get them on 9 infact it will be in HD.
54.1 --> 9.2
54.2 --> 9.1

Do you get those?

Gotta hit the hay but will post more tomorrow.
post #8367 of 11200 Old 02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvfan2012 View Post

I am able to get decent signals from Sutro tower (KTVU, KRON4, CBS, ABC, KQED, KOFY etc) but not able to get anything from Mt. Alison, Fremont (PBS KTEH Ch. 54 etc.) or San Bruno (NBC KNTV ch 11, KTSF ch 26) towers.

I was hoping to receive KNTV, KTSF from San Bruno since signals from Sutro tower works fine. Any comment?

I was able to get KTEH Ch 54. last year but no longer. Any changes w.r.t. transmitter config that might be causing signal loss? I have rescanned TV tuner to reconfigure channels but no improvement.

The Clearstream 5 doesn't have a lot of directivity, so if you're getting KGO with it, you should also get KNTV, unless there's a hill blocking your view of Mt. San Bruno. Have you checked the landscape in that direction from your home? The transmitters are only five miles apart, so pointing your antenna at Sutro tower should get you the stations from Mt. San Bruno. I have no answer for you for that problem.

It's interesting that you used to get KTEH but can't get it now. They increased their power a few months ago, so they should be better now than they were last year, not worse. The South Bay stations are way off to the side with your antenna pointed at Sutro, so you probably need a rotor or another antenna pointed in that direction if you want reliable signals from channels 1, 14, 36, 48 and 54.

Larry
SF

post #8368 of 11200 Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

For several weeks all my attempts to capture KTNC-Th movies for later viewing have failed with Zero Byte files produced.

FusionHDTV HTPC card.

I did a full channel rescan after realizing that a fourth substream had been added.

I manually tried to tune to KTNC and my DTV tuner card sometimes would display the channel, sometimes it would not.

I finally came to the conclusion that the PSIP information might be messed up.

I have run TSReaderLite on a manual five minute capture which took several tries to get the tuner card to display KTNC-Th.

Would the TSReaderLite experts please check the information attached. I also have included an earlier KTNC 42.3 scan.

TIA

SHF

DTV42-3.zip 6.8916015625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip DTV42-3.zip (6.9 KB, 1 views)
post #8369 of 11200 Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nanny, with over a hundred TEI errors in a few minutes and that horribly fractured PID map, it's pretty clear that your reception is poor on the channel.
post #8370 of 11200 Old 03-01-2012, 09:41 AM

Thanks Chuck for your comments.
Yes, my house is near the crossing of Bollinger Canyon and Harcourt. I think Fremont TV stations are not reachable due to those hills, although they are much closure than Sutro tower. Perhaps weather playing a role here.

I have tried TVfool, FCC map etc. to tune Clearstrem5 as well as DB4 antenna w/o success. I have also tried lowering the gain in preamp. However, I don't know why I am not able to receive San Bruno stations (KNTC etc) but I can get decent signals Sutro towers.

As you have said, San Ramon is a difficult place for OTA. Tv fool map clearly shows that signal strengths are very low here for all these transmitters except the one located in Mt. Diablo (Ch 42).

Hi litildubey,
Yes, I am able to get PBS Channels (9.1,.2) from from Stuto towers. However, the real reason for ch. 54 is actually KQED Kids, Ch 54.4! This station plays kids program 24x7.

Hi Larry,
I have tried reorient my antennas to receive signals from Fremont as well as Sub Bruno. but I think hills are blocking signals transmitted from Fremont stations. I also do not have much ideas why I can not get Sub Bruno TV station signals. I know that Castro Valley hills are blocking them, but that does not explain why Sutro tower signals are decent.

Once again thanks to everyone.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page