Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #8821 of 11260 Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
38.1 is now 38.5 and appears to be in 4x3 format! No stretch-o-vision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 11260 Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

38.1 is now 38.5 and appears to be in 4x3 format! No stretch-o-vision!

Hi,

And it is RTV!

SHF
Quote:
EDIT: Sent to Schedules Direct, http://www.schedulesdirect.org/

KCNS RF 39 PSIP 38 now has five streams. 38.5 KCNSDT5 is missing which now contains RTV which was on 38.1. The only stream (in english) that I am interested in.

http://www.myretrotv.com/prog_schedules/RTV-National-Pacific.pdf
http://www.myretrotv.com/index2.html

Regrettably, the management of KCNS decided to move RTV to a different over-the-air channel, resulting in the loss of our cable and satellite carriage. Depending on your location, RTV can still be viewed in the San Francisco area on channel 38.5 via an antenna.

We apologize, but this situation is entirely in the hands of KCNS and its management, Titan Broadcasting. If you would like to speak with someone at Titan, you can do so by calling 678-904-0555.

Zap2It is missing 38.5 KCNSDT5 also.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?aid=zap2it
Broadcast - Local Broadcast (94087)

Ticket accepted:

> I've started the process of updating the lineup and will let you know
> when it's complete.

post #8823 of 11260 Old 08-13-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA IN SF View Post

Hi I am in SF in the Marina, and I have lost channels 26 KTSF, and 28 KFTL it seems like the stations from San Bruno Mountain. Anybody know what is going on? Did they move the transmitters around or cut their power, this has been going on for about 3 weeks. My antenna is fine, cabling is fine and the other channels come in well.

Signals are normal from all of the San Bruno Mountain stations here, so I don't have any idea why you've lost them. I'm located between the Castro and Noe Valley.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lots of Broadcasting links and information:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out photos and info on my antennas:

post #8824 of 11260 Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

Signals are normal from all of the San Bruno Mountain stations here, so I don't have any idea why you've lost them. I'm located between the Castro and Noe Valley.
Larry
SF

Hi,

My reception of:
Quote:
KTSF RF 27 PSIP 26, I see no signal, but then I normally do not check that station.

KTFL RF 28 PSIP 28 is there but I lose the signal at times. Lots of times as I have been checking for ten minutes.

Continues to be the same, I may have NO reliable reception of these two stations from San Bruno.

I am ~ 32 Miles from San Bruno and ~ 36 miles from Sutro.

SHF
post #8825 of 11260 Old 08-17-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Any idea if they are using an antenna cut for RF 7? And it's type.

KGO RF 7 to KDTV 36.42 miles.

KGO RF 7 to me 36.38 miles. I am using a CM4228HD UHF antenna. (Plus two amps.)

It is rock solid for me, but then I do not watch KGO RF 7 24/7/365 like the translator.

The path is over water but I was told that KEMO RF 32 (96.7 miles) and KRCB RF 23 (75.1 miles) are possible due to being over water. They do disappear at times.

Is microwave a bigger problem over water?

See AVS for map. Click on Image for larger picture.

SHF

Original Message
To:
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] KGO Translator Channel 35

I haven't heard anything further from KGO's engineer since they said they were going to add a microwave link from the studio to the translator site.

Larry

- - -

On Aug 16, 2012, at 11:22 PM, Mike Sabin wrote:

> Uh-oh, KGO-35 bad again tonight (16 Aug). Turned it on 11:10PM to watch news, video/audio breaking up intermittenly, became unwatchable by 11:20PM. Signal strong and stable.
>
> Any progress since message below? I'm hoping it's squared away before college football starts in September, but doesn't look like it will be.
>
> mike
>
> At 6/22/2012 12:10 AM, you wrote:
>> I received the following information from the KGO Transmitter Engineer who said to please pass it on the members of the SF HD Yahoo Group and SF OTA Thread on the AVS Forum.
>>
>> One more option they're exploring is to install a microwave system between the KGO studios and Mt. Allison. Then they can send an ASI stream directly to Allison to drive the exciters and use the receive antenna as a backup source. The microwave is not a perfect solution though, because the path is at the maximum fade margin and it is over water, and it does experience signal fading occasionally.
post #8826 of 11260 Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

Any idea if they are using an antenna cut for RF 7? And it's type.

Rich, the KGO Engineer, said they were using an antenna cut for channel 7, but he didn't indicate what brand. Their big problem is the high level of RF from all the transmitters there at Mt. Allison. The channel 7 signal has to over power the RF level at the site.

The antenna seems to be working really well. When KGO goes off the air, like it does once a month for transmitter and remote calibration, it's been reported that the translator has picked up KRCR on channel 7 from Redding.
Quote:

Is microwave a bigger problem over water?

I don't know how much of a problem there is for the microwave, but he said some fading can be expected on the microwave link over water.
Quote:
KTSF RF 27 PSIP 26, I see no signal, but then I normally do not check that station.
KTFL RF 28 PSIP 28 is there but I lose the signal at times. Lots of times as I have been checking for ten minutes.

Interesting, because KTSF is 858 kilowatts ERP while KTFL is only 15 kw ERP. You must have something blocking your line of site to Mt. San Bruno or you have multipath affecting the KTSF signal. How well do you receive KNTV, KKPX and KMMC from there? You've indicated that you can receive both KRCB and KEMO, which are quite a distance from you, so that clearly shows that distance is not necessarily a good indicator of whether or not you'll get a station. Terrain is the major factor in most cases.

Larry

post #8827 of 11260 Old 08-17-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

Interesting, because KTSF is 858 kilowatts ERP while KTFL is only 15 kw ERP. You must have something blocking your line of site to Mt. San Bruno or you have multipath affecting the KTSF signal. How well do you receive KNTV, KKPX and KMMC from there? You've indicated that you can receive both KCRB and KEMO, which are quite a distance from you, so that clearly shows that distance is not necessarily a good indicator of whether or not you'll get a station. Terrain is the major factor in most cases.
Larry

Hi,

I have tall trees in the path and when they got wet early last fall KPIX and KQED disappeared for a while until the leaves dried out.

KNTV is solid, KKPX was an immediate problem such that I sometimes use my old UHF antenna in my attic in the partial faraday cage looking due North trying to get KTNC (Failing lately). KKPX is just fine right now.

I sometimes see KMMC, but not right now.

I do not test the airwaves like you do so. I have so much DTV to watch and other things that I only look when requested.

SHF
post #8828 of 11260 Old 08-17-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Trees can be a problem no matter how close you are to the transmitters. They can cause severe multipath issues like at my cousin's house in San Leandro.

Years ago I knew someone who lived in an apartment in San Jose and there was a community antenna. The complex was surrounded by huge fir trees and one of the UHF stations (KOFY I think) had multipath like crazy. The ghosting changed all the time. Other stations were fine.

There really is no solution to trees except to get the antenna away from them.

I don't see any reason why water should be any different than flat land. Large scale inversions will develop over flat land or water which can be a problem. Inversions in hilly areas are more localized.

Larry - Remember all the problems KOVR had getting a fade-free microwave link from Sacramento to Walnut Grove? No large bodies of water there.

Chuck

post #8829 of 11260 Old 08-18-2012, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

Larry - Remember all the problems KOVR had getting a fade-free microwave link from Sacramento to Walnut Grove? No large bodies of water there.
Chuck
I sure do. If I remember right they had to install receivers at different heights on the tower and set it up so that it automatically chose the strongest incoming signal.

Larry

post #8830 of 11260 Old 08-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone heard anything recently about the KCSM sale? The latest information I've been able to find was from April and said they'd narrowed it down to two prospective buyers.

Patty
post #8831 of 11260 Old 08-20-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post

Anyone heard anything recently about the KCSM sale? The latest information I've been able to find was from April and said they'd narrowed it down to two prospective buyers.
Patty

Hi,

It has gone silent.

I suspect that they are waiting for the FCC to approve of the sale. The time frame suggested for the announcement was next month (September 2012).

http://sfppc.blogspot.com/2012/04/two-finalists-in-bidding-for-kcsm.html

http://sanmateo.patch.com/articles/kcsm-tv-yet-to-be-sold

http://www.sanmatean.com/kcsm-yet-to-be-sold-1.2849941

I have looked at the web page where the winner will be announced and it has not changed.

http://sharepoint.smccd.edu/SiteDirectory/generalservices/Lists/Bid%20Announcements/Current.aspx

SHF

post #8832 of 11260 Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
They haven't filed anything with the FCC, so that can't be the cause of the delay.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8833 of 11260 Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

They haven't filed anything with the FCC, so that can't be the cause of the delay.
- Trip

Hi,

Interesting. Please keep watch for us.

Perhaps then KCSM likes the top bidder and the top bidder needs to generate a more detailed plan. (Or / and the second bidder.)

They clearly have stated that they do not want to start the process over quoting problems others have had.

I also wonder if the bidder(s) need to raise more money and if KCSM is getting some additional grants to keep going.

-------------------------------------------------------

KCSM also turned down bids from two Bay Area broadcasters:

• • KAXT LLC, which operates low-power Channel 22 in San Francisco, which broadcasts a Spanish-language Christian TV network, and
  • • KMTP-TV, operator of low-power Channel 32 in San Francisco, which airs multilingual, ethic programming. It’s offices are in Palo Alto.

Just like Jay and Dave, I would have liked KMTP to win so I could have more fun bashing them.

KAXT is a commericial station and not qualified to bid, what were they thinking.

SHF

P.S. Larry, please do not jump on me for 22, the Palo Alto Daily Post got it wrong! And I do not see spanish in their lineup on your page. Mt. Allison is in San Francisco?

post #8834 of 11260 Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KCSM also turned down bids from two Bay Area broadcasters:

• • KAXT LLC, which operates low-power Channel 22 in San Francisco, which broadcasts a Spanish-language Christian TV network, and

KAXT channel 22 analog did broadcast Spanish-language Christian TV, but they transmitted from the hills in southeast San Jose, not San Francisco. The station went off the air when KAXT digital, virtual channel 1, came on the air on channel 42 from Mt. Allison.

Larry

post #8835 of 11260 Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else having problems receiving KTVU, virtual channel 2 (Fox affiliate)?

I am in north San Jose (near Alviso) and for the last week or so, I don't see any video/audio on this channel. Everything else is coming in just fine.

I tried two different tuners into my HTPC, but no difference.
post #8836 of 11260 Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antidodge View Post

Is anyone else having problems receiving KTVU, virtual channel 2 (Fox affiliate)?
I am in north San Jose (near Alviso) and for the last week or so, I don't see any video/audio on this channel. Everything else is coming in just fine.
I tried two different tuners into my HTPC, but no difference.

Hi,

Can you vertify which RF channel you are receiving KTVU on?

KTVU RF 44 is on Sutro tower.

KTVU RF 48 is on  Monument Pk in a different direction.

Their PSIP data is the same.

2.1  44.3 KTVU FOX Oakland Sutro Tower 1000 1680  H - M
2.2  44.4   LATV          

2.1    48.3 KTVU FOX San Jose  Monument Pk 3.5  2100  H - L
2.2  48.4   LATV

H - Transmits in High Definition (HDTV)
L - Low Power or Translator Station
M - Transmits Mobile DTV, or will be soon

What are your HTPC Tuners and do they display the actual RF channels used?

Quote:

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

SHF

post #8837 of 11260 Old 08-23-2012, 04:59 PM

I am not sure which of the two RF channels I was picking up. I will dig deeper into Windows Media Center and see if this info is available.
post #8838 of 11260 Old 08-23-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not sure which of the two RF channels I was picking up. I will dig deeper into Windows Media Center and see if this info is available.

Hi,

Read this message and the rest of this thread.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HDTV-in-SFbay/message/29894

KGO RF 7 and RF 35 are also a problem for some people. PSIP 7 in both cases. There are 2+ more to come.

Depending on what direction your UHF antenna is pointing, both should be good for you, both RF 44 and RF 48  for KTVU.

SHF

post #8839 of 11260 Old 08-23-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Read this message and the rest of this thread.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HDTV-in-SFbay/message/29894

KGO RF 7 and RF 35 are also a problem for some people. PSIP 7 in both cases. There are 2+ more to come.

Depending on what direction your UHF antenna is pointing, both should be good for you, both RF 44 and RF 48  for KTVU.

SHF

Thank you very much! That did the trick. I disabled 48.3 and voila! 44.3 is coming in crystal clear. I will have to keep this in mind if I run into problems with KGO.
post #8840 of 11260 Old 08-23-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much! That did the trick. I disabled 48.3 and voila! 44.3 is coming in crystal clear. I will have to keep this in mind if I run into problems with KGO.

Hi,

I am going to copy the information here so all can see.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HDTV-in-SFbay/message/29887

Re: KGO loss

Posted By: jguilhamet  Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:01 am

Quote:
If you have lost KGO and/or KTVU on Windows Media Center due to PSIP issues with
the channels being broadcast on multiple frequencies, I was able to resolve the
issue as follows.

1) From the Media Center Menus, select Tasks -> Settings -> TV -> Guide -> Edit
Channels

2) To fix the problem with KGO 7.1, scroll down the list of channel descriptions
and select "KGODT (KGO-DT)-ABC Affiliate)

3) on the "SETTINGS FOR 7.1 KGO" screen, choose the "Edit Sources" option

4) when the screen refreshes, you should see at least 2 entries (two entries
per tuner) for KGODT. One set is for KGO on 7.1' The second set is for KGO on
35.1. If your antenna picks up the SF transmitter best, uncheck the boxes for
Channel number 35.1 and leave checked the boxes for Channel number 7.1

5) Select save, and save again on the next screen. (Repeat for 7.2 and 7.3 as
well)

I was also having problems with KTVU 2.1, and was able to resolve the problem
using the same process. Media Center had picked up that KTVU is broadcasting on
both 44.1 and 48.1. I deselected 48.1 and everything is ok now.
post #8841 of 11260 Old 08-27-2012, 04:58 AM

Liked: 13
A little San Francisco Television history:

On this very day, Monday, August 27th, 1962, KGO-TV in San Francisco unveiled a brand new emblem for its station. No one would know that four months later that same year, this very logo would eventually be one of the very first television cosmetic standardizations. In December of that year, sister-stations in Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit & in New York would wound up using the same design made by a San Francisco-native and design consultant G. Dean Smith.

Happy Fiftieth Anniversary, Circle 7 Logo!
120px-Circle_7_Logo.png
post #8842 of 11260 Old 08-27-2012, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csworldwide1 View Post

On this very day, Monday, August 27th, 1962, KGO-TV in San Francisco unveiled a brand new emblem for its station. No one would know that four months later that same year, this very logo would eventually be one of the very first television cosmetic standardizations. In December of that year, sister-stations in Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit & in New York would wound up using the same design made by a San Francisco-native and design consultant G. Dean Smith.
120px-Circle_7_Logo.png

Cool factoid.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #8843 of 11260 Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

120px-Circle_7_Logo.png

are you sure about this
it might have been designed by kgo art director Nick Hamil. he also designed KTVU circle 2.
milt
post #8844 of 11260 Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt9 View Post

are you sure about this
it might have been designed by kgo art director Nick Hamil. he also designed KTVU circle 2.
milt

Page 72 of the August 27, 1962 issue of Broadcasting Magazine, and it even shows the same logo design with the name G. Dean Smith. I don't know who Nick Hamil is but its nice to know that he made another iconic logo in the Bay. I'm from the Chi and It was appropriate to post it here since Mr. G. Dean Smith (he passed away 25 years ago) was from the Bay Area. The other stations didn't climb aboard (KABC, WBKB (now WLS), WXYZ & WABC) until December '62. Hope the link helps.
post #8845 of 11260 Old 08-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

In December of that year, sister-stations in Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit & in New York would wound up using the same design made by a San Francisco-native and design consultant G. Dean Smith.
120px-Circle_7_Logo.png[/quote

A "Must-have" station on free OTA tv. Almost statewide, but not quite.
Here in northern California, we have two circle seven stations (Sorry Sacramento) mad.gif
In 2006, the Chico - Redding market becomes an ABC-7 network too.
post #8846 of 11260 Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am seeing some summer signal surges now. 11 to 1 pm from south of the bay area.

KSBW- 8 15 to 40
KCBA- 13 2 to 6 (No Lock)

meter scale of 0 to 100
post #8847 of 11260 Old 09-04-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

While tuning around last night I noticed that the Azteca network is now in HD. KEMO in Santa Rosa now has Azteca in HD on 50.1 and Azteca SD on 50.2.

Larry
SF

post #8848 of 11260 Old 09-04-2012, 01:38 PM

Some time back, I dumped DirecTV and put up an antenna. I bought a Tivo Premiere to go with it. Remarkably, I get great reception up here in my area of Windsor. HDTV never looked better.

Fast forward to about a month ago when KNTV 11.1 suddenly started showing "To Be Announced" in the Tivo channel guide. I could tune to that channel and watch whatever is being shown, but could not use the Tivo to schedule shows, etc. I finally decided to redo the guided set up on my Tivo today. After scanning my channels....poof! no more KNTV 11.1 . It's nowhere to be seen.

I can't find an NBC affiliate anywhere in my OTA lineup now. Has it moved? I'm relatively ignorant to the finer points of all of this, so excuse if I'm missing anything obvious.

Thanks,

Doug
post #8849 of 11260 Old 09-04-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC View Post

I am seeing some summer signal surges now. 11 to 1 pm from south of the bay area.
KSBW- 8 15 to 40
KCBA- 13 2 to 6 (No Lock)
meter scale of 0 to 100

I've noticed a lot of signal strength changes, too, especially with the stations from the Walnut Grove transmitter site. You can actually watch the signal levels change right before your eyes with signals going from below the cliff edge to as high as 26 dB SNR in a matter of 5 to 10 minutes time and then back down again. The two VHF stations (6 - RF 9 and 10 - RF 10) act completely different from the UHF stations that I get (3 - RF 35, 13 - RF 25, 31 - RF 21 and 58 - RF 46). While the VHF's are up, the UHF's can be down or vice versa, or they can all be up or down. It's fun to watch.

I don't see these drastic changes on the stations from up north (22, 50 and 68), Mt. Diablo (42 and 52) or the South Bay (1, 14, 36, 48 and 54) though, although KAXT 1 will drop below the cliff edge occasionally. I've never received any signal from KSBW or KCBA 13 up here. KSBW is wiped out by KDTS 52 (RF 8) here. There is no signal at all on 13.

Last night I had a nice strong signal from KCRA 3 - RF 35 up to 22 dB for a while. Normally KGO's translator on 35 keeps KCRA's signal below the cliff edge. I noticed that 3.2 is now carrying MeTV.

Larry
SF

post #8850 of 11260 Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post

...poof! no more KNTV 11.1 . It's nowhere to be seen.
I can't find an NBC affiliate anywhere in my OTA lineup now. Has it moved? I'm relatively ignorant to the finer points of all of this, so excuse if I'm missing anything obvious.
Thanks,
Doug

I suspect the same changing signal levels that I mention above is what's caused KNTV to drop below the cliff edge for you. If you normally get it, you'll get it back once signal levels return to normal. (You might have to scan again to get it.) During these weather changes where the temperature goes up and down, there are atmospheric changes that cause the signals to increase and decrease. Inversions can cause drastic changes in signal levels at times.

Larry
SF

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page