post #10891 of 10919 Old 07-18-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
Can anyone explain why two channels right next to each other would be acting so much differently from each other? Maybe whatever was affecting 9 and 10 was also causing the weirdness on channel 8. ? ? ?
My best guess is that they're at different transmitter sites which allowed this to occur under just the right conditions.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 10919 Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Last I saw, KION is also carrying KMUV in 1080i on 23-1, which would mean three HD feeds on that transmitter if they put CW up in HD.
I had to do a rescan but sure enough, 23.1 is pointing at 32. Due to the mess that 23 is here, I missed that one. Does this mean KMUV isn't going to have its own transmitter and they'll just shut off the analog transmitter next year?

Quote:
Channel numbers in general don't mean anything, so other than knowing what antenna to use, using the actual channel is silly now. Perhaps we should have them identify by center frequency? KGO 179? KRON 617? Or by pilot carrier frequency! KGO 176.31 and KRON 614.31. That will be much less confusing to the average person than 7-1 and 4-1.
I'm sure this is fine for the average viewer who only receives stations from one market. But where I am it is a mess. Now I've got KBSV 23.1 pointing to 15.3. KEZT 23.1 points to 23.1. KMUV 23.1 points to 32.5(?). What am I supposed to do with this? Right now I have it scanned in so that 23.1 goes to KION. To see KBSV I enter 15.3. To see KEZT 23.1 I enter 22.1 because KRCB 22.1 points to 23.1. For KEZT 23.2 or 23.3 I enter 23.2 or 23.3. For KRCB I enter 22.1 when the antenna is pointed in that direction. The virtual channel system has created this mess.

I have a similar mess with KBTV VC 8, RF 51. KSBW is using VC 8.1 and 8.2 so I can't get to KBTV that way. KDTV VC 14, RF 51 uses VC 14.1 - 14.3. So with the antenna pointed to KBTV I can enter 14.1 or 14.2 for KBTV 8.1 or 8.2. I can enter either 8.3 or 14.3 for KBTV 8.3 and I enter 8.4 and 8.5 for KBTV 8.4 and 8.5.

Quote:
The average person doesn't know that KTNC is on 14 or that KAXT is on 42. It's only confusing to people like us who know.
I don't think it would be confusing if the stations ID'd properly. For example, KNTV ID's as KNTV 11, Cable 3 & 703. People on cable have no problem tuning to 3 or 703 for Bay Area NBC. All they'd have to do is change the ID to KNTV 11, Over-the-Air 12, Cable 3 & 703. In one day people with antennas would know to tune to 12 for Bay Area NBC.

I wonder how much stations (especially LP stations) are hurting themselves by not identifying with their virtual channel numbers? If I was running any station I'd want to make sure the ID included the virtual channel number so people would see it. OTOH, maybe most people just use the scanned in list or use the channel +/- buttons and never enter a number directly?

Quote:
KACA was analog on 34 before their transition, at least according to FCC records. As such, that station should map to 34-1.
This is ancient history but KACA-LP was on 61 before KXTV started using 61 as its pre transition digital channel. KACA was forced to move.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....tion_id=202957

Last edited by Calaveras; 07-18-2014 at 01:56 PM.
post #10893 of 10919 Old 07-18-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

KFTY has been booming here today with an SNR of 28 dB but the link issues are so bad that most of time there is no picture. This has been going on for some time now and I wondered why. Maybe the "fix" lies in moving the station and changing the link configuration since the applications have been approved. I suppose there's no point for Keith to put time into fixing the existing problem if the station configuration is about to change.

Chuck
post #10894 of 10919 Old 07-18-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
KFTY has been booming here today with an SNR of 28 dB but the link issues are so bad that most of time there is no picture.
Chuck
K03HY was experiencing the same problem. The station has a solid, strong signal, but there was no picture or audio, or it was total pixelation. However they're linking the stations sure isn't working! When I was tuning around last night, the station was fine, so it has to do with propagation problems.

KTNC, who had a similar problem a few days ago, seems to be okay now.

Larry

EDIT: As of 5:20 pm, K03HY has solid pictures once again. I see no signs of break up.

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Last edited by Larry Kenney; Yesterday at 01:53 PM.
post #10895 of 10919 Old 07-19-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
KFTY has been booming here today with an SNR of 28 dB but the link issues are so bad that most of time there is no picture. This has been going on for some time now and I wondered why. Maybe the "fix" lies in moving the station and changing the link configuration since the applications have been approved. I suppose there's no point for Keith to put time into fixing the existing problem if the station configuration is about to change.

Chuck
Hi Chuck,

My uplink on channel 20 from Santa Rosa (near In-N-Out) to Mt. St. Helena has been having problems with channel 20 from Chico messing up our reception on the mountain. Anywave is allowing me to send in our 20 watt amplifier for our link for a 140 watt amplifier. So, I should be getting the 140 watt amplifier soon. We are allowed to input 90 watts into our uplink antenna. So, this improvement of 7 dB or so will give us more SNR for our receive receiver. When I tested the link when I first installed, I was only able to decrease the power by 5 dB before the link fell apart, so we didn't have much margin at all. Also, for our receive antennas we have stacked paraflectors offset by 1/4 wavelength with 1/4 wavelength different cable lengths. This gives 10 dB more null to the backside. I'll let you know when the new amplifier is turned on. This should clean up the drop outs. It appears that atmospheric conditions lately have been either helping Chico 20 be strong at Mt. St. Helena or for our uplink to we weaker.

Blessings,
Keith
post #10896 of 10919 Old 07-19-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
The FCC granted the application for K03IC to operate 3W from Mt. St. Helena. This is another of Keith's One Ministries stations.

I wondered why there would be a station on RF 3 while KFTY was on RF 2 from the same location? I checked KFTY and I see there is a construction permit to move KFTY to a location WNW of Sacramento at almost 1900'. It would still be 3KW omni directional but it would have very good coverage all over Sacramento.

I further wondered if I will be able to receive this. I checked the heading for KFTY and it is 294.2 degrees. Not a great direction for me. But KEZT and KBTV are on a tower in Sacramento with a nearly identical heading of 294.0 degrees. I ran a path profile for KFTY and added in a line for KEZT and KBTV. See attachment. I can receive KEZT and KBTV under favorable conditions but the biggest problem is severe co-channel interference to both of those stations. The spectrum analyzer says they're almost always strong enough to decode if it weren't for the interference. Even though KFTY is 38.4 miles farther away and therefore will lose about 4 dB due to distance, the path is better, barley 2 edge compared to 3 edges for KEZT/KBTV. I would expect that channel 2 will refract over the mountains better than UHF. Although it looks like a terrible angle from the last ridge to my antennas, it measures about 1.3 degrees, not much worse than I have to Walnut Grove now.

If Keith is still reading this, when do you expect these changes to occur?

Chuck
I'm not sure when I'll make the changes, but I'm thinking about the future and submitting applications so that I can make these changes within the next two years.

I got my new 8 channel mux, but they forgot the ASI input. I should have 12 channels up by the end of the month (4 from the Comark / Linear mux and then 8 from the Anywave mux). The last 4 subchannels will probably be "Power Point" low data rate channels with radio station audio.

Blessings,
Keith
post #10897 of 10919 Old 07-19-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTnA View Post
KKPX comes in fine when I use the rotor to repoint the antenna.

K03H6Y always has those breakups for me. It's actually worse than the pictures indicate. Whether I'm using the 91XG or my C5, it's the same.

I've had no luck at all picking up KFTY. I can get some stations from transmitters up north, KEMO being the furthest.
Yesterday we double-checked the orientation of the K03HY transmit antenna atop Mt. Tam and pointed it more towards San Francisco and less towards San Rafael. Let me know if this helps your reception in San Francisco. Also, the drop out issues may really have been with our uplink. We're boosting the power for our UHF uplink to fix the problem. Also, we're adding more channels. The improvements will most likely be done by the end of the month.
post #10898 of 10919 Old 07-19-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I'm a few days late responding. I was out of town for the holiday weekend.

I also noticed that OTnA is also missing KQED 9 (30) in his list of OTA stations.

K03HY has a really strong signal here in the city. I get it at 23 dB SNR on my Sony using the C5 antenna that's aimed for best reception of KNTV. I hope it works for KTVJ, too, when it comes on the air.

Larry
Hi Larry,
What strength do you get K03HY now? Yesterday we adjusted how the transmit antenna is aimed so it should put more power over San Francisco.

Blessings,
Keith
post #10899 of 10919 Old 07-19-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
Yesterday we double-checked the orientation of the K03HY transmit antenna atop Mt. Tam and pointed it more towards San Francisco and less towards San Rafael. Let me know if this helps your reception in San Francisco. Also, the drop out issues may really have been with our uplink. We're boosting the power for our UHF uplink to fix the problem. Also, we're adding more channels. The improvements will most likely be done by the end of the month.
Just did some scans and I couldn't pick up K03HY at all on either of my antennas but I gather you are doing maintenance. I'll check back later in the month with an update. Good luck.
post #10900 of 10919 Old 07-19-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My uplink on channel 20 from Santa Rosa (near In-N-Out) to Mt. St. Helena has been having problems with channel 20 from Chico messing up our reception on the mountain.
I didn't know you could use a TV channel for an uplink. I'll bet KCVU is very strong on Mt. St. Helena. There's also K20JX in Sacramento. I just checked KFTY and it's having problems again. We have had some wild conditions here the past few weeks.

Quote:
I'm not sure when I'll make the changes, but I'm thinking about the future and submitting applications so that I can make these changes within the next two years.

I got my new 8 channel mux, but they forgot the ASI input. I should have 12 channels up by the end of the month (4 from the Comark / Linear mux and then 8 from the Anywave mux). The last 4 subchannels will probably be "Power Point" low data rate channels with radio station audio.

Blessings,
Keith

Okay. It won't changing anytime soon. I'll keep an eye out for the new channels.

Thanks for the updates.

Chuck
post #10901 of 10919 Old 07-19-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I checked KCSO to see how much interference K03HY was giving it and it's low right now. That could just be conditions at the moment. I'll check it off and on.

Chuck
post #10902 of 10919 Old 07-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
problem. Also, we're adding more channels.
Where is KTVJ- 4 ?
I'm not seeing anything on 4. ..... Only 3 is on.
Ben
post #10903 of 10919 Old 07-19-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Larry,
What strength do you get K03HY now? Yesterday we adjusted how the transmit antenna is aimed so it should put more power over San Francisco.
Blessings,
Keith
Hi Keith...

On my AntennasDirect C5 antenna I see little change... maybe just a slight increase. K03HY was about 23 dB and it's still about 23-24 dB SNR. But off the side of my 10 element Hi-VHF yagi which is pointed at Walnut Grove, the signal is 3 dB better than it was. It has been 20 dB but it's now up to 23 dB. Now the signal is virtually the same strength on either antenna. I can't explain why it's better on one, but not the other.

I hope you're able to get your links fixed. Yesterday afternoon there was more black screen than anything on channel 3 with occasional pixelated video popping in and out. Last night and this afternoon the picture is solid again.

As Ben asked, when is KTVJ coming on the air?

Larry

Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #10904 of 10919 Old 07-19-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yesterday we adjusted how the transmit antenna is aimed so it should put more power over San Francisco.
It certainly appears that there is much less power in my direction than there was. KCSO is running about 8 dB higher S/N when I'm pointing at it. The KCSO heading is 237 degrees and K03HY is 260 degrees. Previously if I was pointed anywhere north of 237 degrees I couldn't receive KCSO. Now I can receive it all the way up to 300 degrees, which is how it should be. It's probably best to be putting most of your power into where you want to cover and not way out here in the boonies. This probably means I will not see KTVJ.

Chuck

Last edited by Calaveras; 07-19-2014 at 06:01 PM.
post #10905 of 10919 Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Calaveras... I have gone through your entire page of your OTA stations received... what an impressive list you have!! Congratulations!

How do you find stations that just appear briefly due to skip? Are you doing constant scans to "Add digital stations" or do you have another way of finding them?

I wish there was a way to continuously scan all of the channels and get a record of all PSIP information received. I see signals here that are usually just below the cliff edge that I've never logged because I've never seen a picture or logged the PSIP info. I often see signals on RF channels 2, 13, 20, 26 and 48 that are in this category. I suspect 2 to be KFTY, 20 to be KCVU, 26 KTFK and 48 KSPX, but those are just guesses. I have no idea what is on 13.

Larry

post #10906 of 10919 Old 07-20-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Calaveras... I have gone through your entire page of your OTA stations received... what an impressive list you have!! Congratulations!

How do you find stations that just appear briefly due to skip? Are you doing constant scans to "Add digital stations" or do you have another way of finding them?

I wish there was a way to continuously scan all of the channels and get a record of all PSIP information received. I see signals here that are usually just below the cliff edge that I've never logged because I've never seen a picture or logged the PSIP info. I often see signals on RF channels 2, 13, 20, 26 and 48 that are in this category. I suspect 2 to be KFTY, 20 to be KCVU, 26 KTFK and 48 KSPX, but those are just guesses. I have no idea what is on 13.

Larry
Thanks Larry! I just finished updating the list with some comments and adding KNVN. I look at the 50 MHz real time QSO page to see if it looks busy enough for something to be coming in. Sometimes KFTY isn't coming in and I look at the spectrum analyzer and I see the signal going up and down which indicates another station is coming in. I turn the antenna to see if I can decode it. That happened this morning but I think more than one station was coming in so that's impossible to decode. On top of that there was a lot of lightning destroying reception on low VHF. Once I see the station is decoding at times I sit there with the camera and wait for an ID. These days there are only a few possibilities on RF 2.

I suspect 13 is KCBA but it has a lot of competition from KNTV.

Chuck
post #10907 of 10919 Old 07-26-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Does K03HY 3.1 have the same low audio as KFTY 45.1? It's been that way for several days now.

Chuck
post #10908 of 10919 Old 07-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Does K03HY 3.1 have the same low audio as KFTY 45.1? It's been that way for several days now.

Chuck
3.1 is using the right audio channel only here.
That means a mono analog tv here 13" Sony Trinitron (hooked up correctly to the converter box) gets no sound on 3.1

3.2, 3.3, and 3.4 all use the left channel and work correctly with QVC being the "loudest"

On a stereo tv, 3.1 audio is soft, scratchy, and on the right speaker only.
post #10909 of 10919 Old 07-26-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC View Post
That means a mono analog tv here 13" Sony Trinitron (hooked up correctly to the converter box) gets no sound on 3.1

3.2, 3.3, and 3.4 all use the left channel and work correctly with QVC being the "loudest"

I took another listen and 45.1 also has right channel audio only. It is very low but not scratchy.

Chuck
post #10910 of 10919 Old 07-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Chuck
Scanning & Duplicate channels
3.3 & 65.6 QVC (3.3 is much louder then 65.6) same program.
28.2 & 65.5 HSN ...... ? ..... same network .... from the same antenna farm ? ......oookay.
28.3 channel for lease

3.1 is about 1/4 audio to 3.3 & 3.4

And the question everybody wants to know .........
......Where is KTVJ ....?
post #10911 of 10919 Old 07-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I took another listen and 45.1 also has right channel audio only. It is very low but not scratchy.

Chuck
Kinda like a digital chirp / echo .....just low quality.
post #10912 of 10919 Old 07-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post
ZUUS Latino seems to have disappeared nationwide, what replaced it on KFTL 28.3??
Now it's gone here.
All the ZUUS music channels have been dumped. Here in the Bay area.
post #10913 of 10919 Old 07-26-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC View Post

K03HY has had these audio problems for several weeks now. I didn't realize that it was the same on the other "One Ministry" channels. Looks like the source of the problem is back up the audio chain a few steps. The levels vary a lot from one sub-channel to the next with QVC sounding not only loud, but quite distorted.

Video-wise, 3.1 looks good, 3.2 is 16:9 but very soft, looking almost out of focus, and QVC on 3.3 is a 16:9 picture being sent out 4:3. It looks good if you hit the "Wide" button and stretch it to 16:9. I think that's a QVC problem though, as it's the same on 65.6.

While talking about various problems, I've noticed that several channels now require me to use that "Wide" button. The video is 16:9 but being sent in a 4:3 frame, so everyone looks really skinny. I notice this a lot on channels 26 and 32. Just the opposite, 10.2 is sending out LiveWell in stretched mode. You would think that the stations would send out the program so that it would be displayed in the proper size, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

KEMO 50.2 is still sending out the program information for what's on 50.1. They've never updated their PSIP info. KTNC 42.4 is now sending out a blank, black screen, and KMTP 32 continues to be all messed up, sending out blank screens on 32.2 and 32.4 (there is no 32.3) and sending the wrong program information with PSIP.

One improvement... KDTS 52 finally got rid of the "BOB-4" supered across the center of the picture.

I didn't realize that ZUUS had disappeared. I've noticed that there's a slide on 28.3 showing that the channel is available for lease and I've seen lots of informercials on 28.15, but I thought they were being sent by ZUUS Country. Time to update my lists again.

Larry

post #10914 of 10919 Old 07-27-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm seeing the same video on 45 as you're seeing on 3 except my TV requires me to set Full Screen on QVC or else it is squished.

Some of the Salinas LP stations also have "For Lease" slides on their sub channels.

It does appear as though that many of the smaller full service stations and LP stations are not maintained very well and sub channels have even more problems. Programming comes and goes faster than you can keep up with it.

Chuck
post #10915 of 10919 Old Yesterday, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I just spent about an hour tuning around the channels. Conditions from about 12:30 to 1:30 am this morning (Tuesday) have been very good. All of the Walnut Grove channels that I normally get - 3, 6, 10, 13, 31 and 46 - were all 21 dB SNR or higher. KMAX 31 was up to 27 dB. I even got solid signals on KTFK 26 (64.1, 64.3 and 19.2) for a while, and KNVN 24, whose transmitter is about 175 miles from here, northeast of Red Bluff, came in for a few minutes.

Even low power channel 8 - KDTS 52 from Mt. Diablo - was putting in a 17 - 18 dB signal tonight. Normally it's right at the cliff edge at its best.

I still haven't been able to get a strong enough signal out of KSPX on 48 (Virtual 29) to make a picture. It got up to 13.6 dB tonight, but that's it.

Larry
SF

Last edited by Larry Kenney; Yesterday at 02:20 AM.
post #10916 of 10919 Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

KFTY 45.1 audio has been restored to what passes for normal, i.e. normal level on the right channel with no distortion and no audio on the left channel.

Chuck
post #10917 of 10919 Old Today, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I received the August issue of the Worldwide TV-FM DX Association digest today, and it had the following FCC update information for stations in the SF and Santa Rosa areas:

KTVJ - Channel 4, city of license changed to San Francisco, power increase to 400 watts approved
K03IC, channel 3 in Santa Rosa, has requested a power increase to 3 kW
KUKR, channel 26 in Santa Rosa, had power increase to 2 kW approved

Larry

post #10918 of 10919 Old Today, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

There are a whole bunch of stations who have to apply for a license renewal by August 1. These applications having been showing up daily for a few weeks with the FCC. Today KTVJ has applied for a license renewal. I thought this was kind of interesting considering the station has never been on the air in the first place. They're not the first one I've seen in this situation. A couple over here have done the same thing. KEFM (analog 6 FM radio station) has been running a slide in Spanish about license renewal for weeks now.

Chuck
post #10919 of 10919 Old Today, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
K03IC, channel 3 in Santa Rosa, has requested a power increase to 3 kW

Larry
This was approved on July 17. Keith told us that it might be as long as two years before it happens. It involves moving KFTY to a site west of Sacramento and K03IC to Mt. St. Helena.

Chuck
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page