Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #11011 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 105
And the fastest debut to oblivion ever ... 14.4 (virtual) the "ESCAPE" channel, couldn't even make it a week! Up on Monday, GONE by Saturday. No PSIP, no picture, nothing!

Won't miss 'em. They couldn't even figure out how to display the picture in proper format, taking 4:3 cropped movies and displaying them as 16:9. The GRIT station is just as bad, if not worse. I refuse to watch crushed images ... yet the advertisements are all in proper aspect ratio .... morons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11012 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
newbie here, I'm looking for some help from your knowledgeable group. I just put an AD91xg on my roof a few days ago, everything was fine & dandy till this morning, there was lighting storm and heavy rain all channel Are coming extremely weak I use a winegard preamp ap 269 on the 91xg w/ 60ft rg6. I get red light on amplifer when plugged like always. I get a stronger signal with the preamp off than plugged on. I visually looked at the balun box from afar on the 91xg it seems ok. No damage seen on balun or preamp. question is could it be box balun on the 91xg that shorted out? or preamp? if it is the balun can I call antennadirect for replacement this antenna suppose to have lifetime warranty. any help would be appreciated.

ps I really enjoy reading your posts kenney, calavera adtech are extremely knowledge chaps
ed
Sounds like the HDP269 is fried. I had a bad one and it acted like a 10 dB attenuator.

Where are you located? Can't be in northern California.

Chuck
post #11013 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
Thanks Chuck for chiming-in.

I certainly know that the DB4e is a UHF antenna and that channel 8 is VHF. This antenna gets it though, as I recall other UHF antennas doing (getting higher band VHF).

I had been reading about people making modifications to UHF antennas, and here's one I just found, related to the predecessor of the DB4e, the DB4:

Ideas on how to turn a UHF antenna into a UHF/VHF antenna.

This sort of confirms that a dipole might do the trick for me. Was wondering if others here have done this or similar...

There are all kinds of things you can do that may work or to just squeak by. It does seem to me at times though that people put more effort into these make-shift solutions than what would be required to just put up what's known to work.

I always try to give advice that has a reasonable chance of working. There's no way for me to know which of these mods actually work. For some reason I see a lot of examples where good UHF antennas are installed but VHF is given short shrift, often hoping that the UHF antenna will somehow work on VHF. Why? Those stations are just as important as UHF. People then complain that VHF doesn't work very well.

Chuck
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #11014 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
And the fastest debut to oblivion ever ... 14.4 (virtual) the "ESCAPE" channel, couldn't even make it a week! Up on Monday, GONE by Saturday. No PSIP, no picture, nothing!

Won't miss 'em. They couldn't even figure out how to display the picture in proper format, taking 4:3 cropped movies and displaying them as 16:9. The GRIT station is just as bad, if not worse. I refuse to watch crushed images ... yet the advertisements are all in proper aspect ratio .... morons.
Funny, I'm in the Dallas, TX area and Escape is still working for me as of posting time...KUVN 23-3...they even shifted our station ID to the left not too long ago, too!

dtv_junkie87
post #11015 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 0
appreciate your prompt response, I kind of think that the balun shot cause rather than the preamp. winegard preamplifiers have automatic shutoff if there is short on connection, thus the light on the house unit would be off. 91xg balun box is flimpsy with a hole in the middle, water could of breached it. I got another antenna adp 269 preamp standing by. if it is balun how difficult is to get a replacement from antenna direct? would i need to buy another antenna. I saw your avatar has this happen to your antenna array.
txs
post #11016 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 View Post
Funny, I'm in the Dallas, TX area and Escape is still working for me as of posting time...KUVN 23-3...they even shifted our station ID to the left not too long ago, too!

dtv_junkie87
Escape is still on the air in Sacramento (KUVS) and Fresno (KFTV).

Josh
post #11017 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
How has the earthquake affected area broadcasters and viewers?
Do you mean this one?

Quote:
An earthquake with magnitude 6.1 occurred near American Canyon, CA at 10:20:44.00 UTC on Aug 24, 2014. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)
I slept through it, but it is far away from me and far from most DTV stations.

EDIT:
NAPA, Calif. (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency for the part of California's wine country hard-hit by a large earthquake.

All the SF News stations are in "Earthquake mode", looks like lots of damage, gas leaks, ACE train to 49'ers game canceled , CalTrain from SF delayed ...
---------------------------------

Quote:
Where are you? You surely aren't in the San Francisco Bay Area. We haven't had a thunderstorm in ages.

And thanks for the compliment.

Larry
New York, NY - OTA is where uhfyagi has posted the most.

I thought about demanding some of the rain be sent here before replying.

------------------------------------
Quote:
It's back up 10:20 AM 8/24/2014.

If you can ESCAPE you can be caught quickly.

Lots of far away posts today.

SHF
George Molnar likes this.

Last edited by SFischer1; 08-24-2014 at 01:54 PM.
post #11018 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
No loss of OTA at all... I'm sure Napa is without power so cable is out as well as satellite.... Of course the TV needs power as well....

Bobby 

post #11019 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
appreciate your prompt response, I kind of think that the balun shot cause rather than the preamp. winegard preamplifiers have automatic shutoff if there is short on connection, thus the light on the house unit would be off. 91xg balun box is flimpsy with a hole in the middle, water could of breached it. I got another antenna adp 269 preamp standing by. if it is balun how difficult is to get a replacement from antenna direct? would i need to buy another antenna. I saw your avatar has this happen to your antenna array.
txs
Antennas Direct is now using a printed circuit board balun and not the ferrite ones. I don't know if they replace the older ones. There's nothing special about the balun. You just need an outdoor one.

I doubt that the preamp is shorted. The amplifier is probably blown out.

Chuck
post #11020 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

KTNC

KTNC is turning my Sony TV on and off. Sounds impossible but that's what's happening. When I tune to KTNC I get a frozen picture and the TV cycles on and off. I thought the TV was broken. I was finally able to get it to tune to another station and everything is fine.

And even stranger....

If I tune to KTNC on my TiVo which is connected to my TV via HDMI, the TV starts turning on and off again.

Anyone know how this is possible? Oh yeah, it also reset the TV time/date as though there was a power failure.

Chuck
post #11021 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
KTNC

KTNC is turning my Sony TV on and off. Sounds impossible but that's what's happening. When I tune to KTNC I get a frozen picture and the TV cycles on and off. I thought the TV was broken. I was finally able to get it to tune to another station and everything is fine.

And even stranger....

If I tune to KTNC on my TiVo which is connected to my TV via HDMI, the TV starts turning on and off again.

Anyone know how this is possible? Oh yeah, it also reset the TV time/date as though there was a power failure.

Chuck
What do you expect from a station transmitting from "The Devil Mountain" just after an Earthquake close by?

Maybe the tower may be fixed and they can go to full power.

From my scanning of the ATSC spec I would perhaps say yes, I remember parts indicating that the channel the TV is tuned to can be changed. Lots of features that may never be used.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 08-24-2014 at 02:44 PM.
post #11022 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Chuck you were on the money

Quote:
Antennas Direct is now using a printed circuit board balun and not the ferrite ones. I don't know if they replace the older ones. There's nothing special about the balun. You just need an outdoor one.

I doubt that the preamp is shorted. The amplifier is probably blown out.

Chuck
I changed the preamp and It's working great
post #11023 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
All of the major news stations jumped in with two feet to provide coverage of the quake. While KPIX-CBS5 and KTVU-Fox2 dropped coverage later on for network programming, KGO-ABC7 continued earthquake coverage on 7.1 and moved network programming to 7.2 in place of Living Well. They had a crawl on 7.1 advising that network programming was available on 7.2 and on Comcast channels.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #11024 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 137
and I wanted to watch the Little League World Championship game on 7.2. Wouldn't you know it, I was having difficulty with low signal today, it kept breaking up. So, I tuned up my ROKU and watched it on ESPN3, in Spanish!

Bobby 

post #11025 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
KTNC

KTNC is turning my Sony TV on and off.
Chuck
I checked KTNC here on my Sony and it's working fine, so I have no idea what's causing your set to go off and on and reset the time and date. That's weird that a signal could trigger the on/off switch on the TV.

Larry

Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #11026 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
and I wanted to watch the Little League World Championship game on 7.2. Wouldn't you know it, I was having difficulty with low signal today, it kept breaking up. So, I tuned up my ROKU and watched it on ESPN3, in Spanish!
Signals are down here from all over this afternoon. KEMO 50 and KTLN 68 from up your way are below the cliff edge! Normally they have excellent signals. KAXT 1, the low power station from the South Bay, is also below the cliff edge, and all of the stations from Walnut Grove are lower than normal signal levels.

I know what causes signals to get better than normal, but I've never figured out what causes them to get worse than normal.

Larry

post #11027 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Sutro tower Aux Antenna use--Monday thru Friday, August 25-29, 9 AM to 4 PM.

You are receiving this e-mail because you asked to be included on the Sutro Tower Auxiliary Antenna Email List. During the week of August 25, Monday through Friday, between 9 am and 4 pm, several TV and radio stations will be switching to their Auxiliary antennas. This is being done so that the tower crew can perform routine maintenance on the regular TV and radio antennas at the top of the tower. Their work will include a structural inspection, some rust removal and re-painting, and bolt replacement as necessary.

When stations use their Auxiliary antennas, there is a slightly higher-than-normal amount of radio frequency energy in some parts of the neighborhood, and slightly lower amounts in other parts. The largest difference is near the tower in the area of Summit Reservoir. At all locations, radio frequency emissions still will be far below the most restrictive safety standard established by the Federal Communications Commission.

You can view the Main and Auxiliary Radio Frequency Radiation reports on our web site at www.sutrotower.com. Go to the tab at the top labeled safety reports.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

P. Eric Dausman,
Vice President & COO
Sutro Tower, Inc.
1 La Avanzada Street
San Francisco, CA 94131
post #11028 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
There are all kinds of things you can do that may work or to just squeak by. It does seem to me at times though that people put more effort into these make-shift solutions than what would be required to just put up what's known to work.

I always try to give advice that has a reasonable chance of working. There's no way for me to know which of these mods actually work. For some reason I see a lot of examples where good UHF antennas are installed but VHF is given short shrift, often hoping that the UHF antenna will somehow work on VHF. Why? Those stations are just as important as UHF. People then complain that VHF doesn't work very well.

Chuck
Very much agreed Chuck, to the point where you made me laugh. I had zero hope or expectations that I'd get channel 8 on the DB4e.... I was surprised to see it there! It sits at 20 to 21 SNR, so it's respectable I suppose, but if I can bump it up a tad, that's what I'm pondering...

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
post #11029 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
I checked KTNC here on my Sony and it's working fine, so I have no idea what's causing your set to go off and on and reset the time and date. That's weird that a signal could trigger the on/off switch on the TV.

Larry
When my rotten ATSC tuner software in my HDTV crashes the power light does not go to red but stays green. Master power off and on fixes the crash and allows the normal ~ 30 second boot of the ATSC tuner.

Red means off and ready to respond to the remote, no light means no power. Green usually means normal operations. I use the DVI and VGA inputs on my HDTV most of the time and the analog software in my HDTV has no problems.

Chuck, does your DTV have a power light?

Also what stream on KTNC were you watching?

Quote:
When I tune to KTNC I get a frozen picture and the TV cycles on and off.
Frozen picture with no sound and then normal picture for a few seconds and then repeat could well be a station problem.

When I see something wrong I check another tuner type, I have four types.

Actually turning the HDTV set off maybe, turning it back on NO.

Quote:
Oh yeah, it also reset the TV time/date as though there was a power failure.
That really points to a station problem, it is unbelievable the date and time KMTP sends at times, some times a year and / or months /and or / hours and / or minutes WRONG.

Surprise, right now KMTP date / time is correct.

The date / time comes from the stations as displayed by my HDTV. KGO is a minute or two slow right now.

SHF
post #11030 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Larry
It's back to normal now. I hope it doesn't return. That was very strange. If it does I'll be prepared.

Chuck
post #11031 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Signals are down here from all over this afternoon. KEMO 50 and KTLN 68 from up your way are below the cliff edge! Normally they have excellent signals. KAXT 1, the low power station from the South Bay, is also below the cliff edge, and all of the stations from Walnut Grove are lower than normal signal levels.

I know what causes signals to get better than normal, but I've never figured out what causes them to get worse than normal.

Larry
Well, if someone has better than normal signals then someone else is likely to have worse than normal signals.

Signals were crummy here for much of the day. I watched the earthquake coverage on KNTV, the station that's least likely to be coming in midday. Even KCRA was out midday.

Chuck
post #11032 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
When my rotten ATSC tuner software in my HDTV crashes the power light does not go to red but stays green. Master power off and on fixes the crash and allows the normal ~ 30 second boot of the ATSC tuner.

Red means off and ready to respond to the remote, no light means no power. Green usually means normal operations. I use the DVI and VGA inputs on my HDTV most of the time and the analog software in my HDTV has no problems.

Chuck, does your DTV have a power light?

Also what stream on KTNC were you watching?

Yes, it has a power light but I wasn't paying close attention to what the light was doing. I was mainly paying attention to what sounds like a relay clicking when the TV is turned on or off. I was watching 42.1.

Chuck
post #11033 of 11496 Old 08-24-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Larry
I may have found where Bill Martin (KTVU) gets his MARINE LAYER DEPTH:

Quote:
LATEST DATA FROM THE BODEGA BAY PROFILER AND SAN CARLOS
AIRPORT SODAR SITES INDICATE A MARINE LAYER DEPTH OF ABOUT 2000
FT...SLOPING UP A BIT TO AROUND 2500 FT AT THE FT ORD PROFILER
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_foreca...AFDMTR&wfo=MTR

Edit:
Bill said nothing about the marine layer depth Sunday Night.

I kept looking for a graph with no luck and finally realized that it may be in the text "AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION".

As KSBW's weather mans gal is coming to town, "Offshore Flo", it will be interesting what happens when that occurs and your humidity drops and matches locations away from San Francisco.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 08-24-2014 at 11:54 PM.
post #11034 of 11496 Old 08-25-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

KTVJ, owned by Fiori Media, is being given to Keith Leitch and three others.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...fac_num=130569

No idea what this may mean for KTVJ coming on the air.

As Keith said was going to happen, DayStar is now on KFTY 45.3. I assume that holds true for the other stations. It is not identical programming to KACA which is also Daystar.

Chuck
post #11035 of 11496 Old 08-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
------------------------------------

It's back up 10:20 AM 8/24/2014.

If you can ESCAPE you can be caught quickly.

SHF
You're right. back to slinging vertically compressed slop all over my tv screen .... they should have just left it off.
post #11036 of 11496 Old 08-25-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

KPIX was on AUX Antanna today

KPIX's Chart clearly shows that SUTRO was on the AUX antennas today.

http://ruka.org/~toast/atscdata/chart.php?c=7

KMTP looks they have a problem returning to the main antenna.

SHF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KPIX_AUX.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	229537  
post #11037 of 11496 Old 08-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

DayStar is now on KFTY 45.3. I assume that holds true for the other stations.

Chuck
I noticed Daystar on 3-3 here on Sunday..... In Roseville that cluster is repeated multiple times, from memory 28-1 is one of them.
post #11038 of 11496 Old 08-26-2014, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
KTVJ, owned by Fiori Media, is being given to Keith Leitch and three others.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...fac_num=130569

No idea what this may mean for KTVJ coming on the air.

As Keith said was going to happen, DayStar is now on KFTY 45.3. I assume that holds true for the other stations. It is not identical programming to KACA which is also Daystar.

Chuck
It's going to be interesting to see what happens with KTVJ!

I think all of Keith's stations now on the air have the same program line up. He changes it in one place (Santa Rosa??) and it's retransmitted to all of the others:
KFTY 2 (Virtual 45) - Mt. St. Helena, K03HY 3 - Mt. Tam, KUKR 26 - Santa Rosa, and KKPM 28 - Sacramento. There's another religious channel on channel 3 up in Santa Rosa, K03IC. Does anyone know if this is one of Keith's stations, too? Anyone in Santa Rosa able to view the station and tell us what's on it?

It's interesting that DayStar on Keith's .3 lineup is not the same as KACA. Daystar's KDTS 8 (Virtual 52) is still off the air, so I can't compare that to K03HY right now.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kenney; 08-26-2014 at 01:50 AM.
post #11039 of 11496 Old 08-26-2014, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
SHF
Signals always look better here when they use the auxiliary antennas at Sutro Tower. Multipath is reduced considerably. The Signal to Noise Quality (SNQ) on my HD HomeRun was better than 95% for every Sutro station today, with several showing 100%. When they're on the main antennas, the SNQ is at 75% for KTVU and KGO, 80's for most and 94 for KPIX and KFSF... no 100's.

Stephen, how do signal levels compare, main antennas vs auxiliary antennas, down in your area?

Larry

post #11040 of 11496 Old 08-26-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unlike the last time they were on the AUX antennas, KGO was terrible. I'll have to check it again today. All UHF stations are out.

Chuck
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page