San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1081 of 11096 Old 06-26-2005, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just hooked up the ATSC portion of my Sony 34XS955 television and can pull all but one of the HD channels in the SF Bay Area (sometimes I need a slight antenna adjustment since I'm currently only using indoor antennas). For some bizarre reason I can't get the CBS affiliate, digital 5.1. I read in prior posts that they were running at limited capacity back in the beginning of June, Is that still the case or is it the tuner in my television? Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 11096 Old 06-29-2005, 03:23 PM

Hi all. I live in Sonoma county approx. 41 miles from the broadcast towers in San Francisco. Is this the forum for me?
If so, I just mounted, on my roof, a Wineguard square shooter 2000 with amplification and only get KICU tv 36 out of San Jose clearly. This signal is 69 miles away. Am I missing something??
Thanks for any advice.
post #1083 of 11096 Old 06-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutocracy View Post

Hi all. I live in Sonoma county approx. 41 miles from the broadcast towers in San Francisco. Is this the forum for me?
If so, I just mounted, on my roof, a Wineguard square shooter 2000 with amplification and only get KICU tv 36 out of San Jose clearly. This signal is 69 miles away. Am I missing something??
Thanks for any advice.

I am not an expert but will try and say a few useful things ;-)

I live 30 miles away in Fremont and have a Channel Master 4228 up a 10 foot pole on my single story house and get all the Sutro / San Bruno stations no problem. Some of the stations out of Sutro are very strong - e.g. I can get KQED perfectly fine with a 3 foot piece of copper wire on the floor of my family room! You should not have a problem with the distance, so something else is wrong.

Did you check antennaweb.org? Do you have an obstacles between you and Sutro (start with Sutro and worry about the other stations later) - including trees, houses, hills etc. Have you oriented your antenna to match the compass bearings from antennaweb?

Next look at the cabling, since you can lose a lot there? Try the most basic set up first with no amplification (you might not need it) and all splitters/combiners etc, removed. You want a single piece of RG6 cable from your antenna (balun attached) to your tuner with ideally nothing in between. If that works, then you can start to isolate the problem.

I just looked for you an antennaweb.org and you seem to have a problem. No digital stations are coming in from San Francisco - only analog, so I suspect you have some hills in the way. These are all I get for Digital (zip 95476)

* lt green - uhf KTLN-DT 47.1 IND NOVATO CA 200° 11.4 47
* blue - uhf KTFK-DT 64.1 SAH STOCKTON CA TBD 117° 40.9 62
* blue - uhf KRCB-DT 22.1 PBS COTATI CA 291° 7.2 23

Peter
post #1084 of 11096 Old 06-30-2005, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
PGDave... Your reception report is very impressive! Pacific Grove is quite a good distance from Sutro Tower. You must be in a fairly high location with nothing blocking your shot up the coast. Congratulations on your excellent antenna set up.

Who makes that XG91 antenna? I'm going to have to check it out!

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #1085 of 11096 Old 07-01-2005, 12:53 PM

Larry,

The XG91 is available at antennasdirect. Sorry, they won't let me post the link directly until I have made 5 posts.

Dave
post #1086 of 11096 Old 07-01-2005, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

PGDave... Your reception report is very impressive! Pacific Grove is quite a good distance from Sutro Tower. You must be in a fairly high location with nothing blocking your shot up the coast. Congratulations on your excellent antenna set up.

Who makes that XG91 antenna? I'm going to have to check it out!

Larry
SF

Antennas Direct

This antenna has a listed maximum gain of 16.7 dB which is quite a bit more than best Channel Masters. It looks very similar to a British made antenna I've seen, may even be the same one. I may have to give OTA in Santa Rosa one more shot. What's another $80 or so after spending almost $1000 already.

BTW, hope you enjoyed the vacation, and thanks for the info, Dave was incredibly helpful with that Comcast problem, great guy to talk to as well.
post #1087 of 11096 Old 07-02-2005, 05:27 PM

I took the plunge today, I got a LG 3510A ATSC/DVD to DVI box for use with my plasma screen (Zenith P42W46X). I was getting very annoyed with the local channels off E* with the plasma, the MPEG artifacts were driving me nuts so I decided to try for OTA.

WOW what an improvement, HD programming in particular is awesome on the plasma screen.

I have a small to medium size outdoor VHF/UHF antenna (from RS) pointed at Sutro which gets all the Sutro stations very well. But I don't get KNTV. Its pointed the wrong way for 12, but I thought for sure I could get 49.2 off the back of it since I can see the tower from my front porch, its probably about 5 miles away. Is 49.2 not on this afternoon? Is the signal too strong? The receiver says no signal.

I probably could point the VHF antenna at 12 and use a new UHF to point at Sutro, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to. And after the move to Mt San Bruno I should be able to get 12 from the same antenna pointed at Sutro, the angular displacement is not that much. I think I'll stop by RS tonight and pick up an attenuator and see if that makes any difference with 49.2.

Thanks all of you for this thread, reading this in advance made the dcision to go OTA and the setup quite painless.

John S.
post #1088 of 11096 Old 07-02-2005, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post

I took the plunge today, I got a LG 3510A ATSC/DVD to DVI box for use with my plasma screen (Zenith P42W46X). I was getting very annoyed with the local channels off E* with the plasma, the MPEG artifacts were driving me nuts so I decided to try for OTA.

WOW what an improvement, HD programming in particular is awesome on the plasma screen.

I have a small to medium size outdoor VHF/UHF antenna (from RS) pointed at Sutro which gets all the Sutro stations very well. But I don't get KNTV. Its pointed the wrong way for 12, but I thought for sure I could get 49.2 off the back of it since I can see the tower from my front porch, its probably about 5 miles away. Is 49.2 not on this afternoon? Is the signal too strong? The receiver says no signal.

I probably could point the VHF antenna at 12 and use a new UHF to point at Sutro, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to. And after the move to Mt San Bruno I should be able to get 12 from the same antenna pointed at Sutro, the angular displacement is not that much. I think I'll stop by RS tonight and pick up an attenuator and see if that makes any difference with 49.2.

Thanks all of you for this thread, reading this in advance made the dcision to go OTA and the setup quite painless.

John S.

If I'm not mistaken, KNTV is on 48.2 not 49.2.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #1089 of 11096 Old 07-02-2005, 11:49 PM

49.2 is the physical channel, 48.2 is the logical channel. Anyway I still can't get it.

Thanks for replying.

John S.
post #1090 of 11096 Old 07-02-2005, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is D12 still coming from the South Bay? I read some time ago that it was supposed to move to Mt. San Bruno in June. (In fact, I walked right by the xmitter under construction when hiking the mountain a couple of months ago and it looked as though it could be done by then) It seems to be coming in better now than it was back in May, but before that it was coming in pretty well here so it could just be "back the way it was".
post #1091 of 11096 Old 07-03-2005, 05:01 PM

A little further up the thread someone mentioned that they just got final approval for the move. The estimated time of the switch is now late summer. Ao I presume they are still in the south bay.

John S
post #1092 of 11096 Old 07-05-2005, 12:54 PM

I'm in Hercules, CA. I can't get any channels. What am I doing wrong?? I have amplified antenna I bought made by RCA. I can't get any OTA channels. Are there any here??
post #1093 of 11096 Old 07-05-2005, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusiondynamics View Post

I'm in Hercules, CA. I can't get any channels. What am I doing wrong?? I have amplified antenna I bought made by RCA. I can't get any OTA channels. Are there any here??

Try the antenna diagnostic linked from www.TitanTV.com and see what it says about strength and direction of your signals.
post #1094 of 11096 Old 07-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From what I heard, you would need to be closer to Emeryville to get anything or maybe a stronger antenna.

Laterz
post #1095 of 11096 Old 07-05-2005, 05:03 PM

What model antenna? Is it outdoors or indoors? If outdoors how high? A quick search through antennaweb.org shows you in the yellow range (fairly easy to get) for one station in Novato and everything else is blue or worse (blue is tough to get). A big amplified highly directional antenna mounted high above the roof can probably get most of the SF channels.

The antennasdirect.com 91XG would probably work quite well in your area.

Unfortunately you seem to be in a pretty tough area to get much of anything.

John S.
post #1096 of 11096 Old 07-05-2005, 06:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:

Just a thought, in Hercules you should have a straight shot across the delta to Walnut Grove to pick up the Sacramento stations, in fact I would be surprised if you didn't get them unless you are really in a hole.

Sutro looks to be blocked by the San Pablo-Richmond rise(not sure what the area is called).

I just reread your post and you indicate you are using a RCA amplified antenna, this isn't one that sits on or by your display is it? Like a set of rabbit ears? If so, I doubt you'll get anything, you'll most likely have to put something up on the roof.
post #1097 of 11096 Old 07-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

You know, many of us keep posting advice here for newbies (I was one not long ago) and often we get no thanks for our efforts... I did all the homework for "plutocracy" including finding his/her zip, going on to antenna web, getting results, cutting and pasting here etc. without a single word of thanks. Too much to ask for?

So just a gentle reminder for those being helped out - don't forget to say "thanks" once in a while ;-)

Peter

peter
post #1098 of 11096 Old 07-06-2005, 12:47 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone here provides. I do appreciate it a lot! Cheers to everyone!
post #1099 of 11096 Old 07-06-2005, 12:53 AM

Today I made a little twin-T dipole for channel 12 and it worked great. Even inside I was getting a good strong signal, outside it was very strong. So all I need to do now is come up with a UHF/VHF combiner and I'll be set. I don't want to use a regular imple splitter/combiner because the big antenna also has VHF, that might cause problems when combined with the VHF signal from the dipole.

The interesting thing was that it was also getting 48.2 (49.2) on the dipole which is MUCH higher in frequency. Since its so close I was expecting to pick that up off the back of the big antenna pointed at Sutro, but never got it. The little VHF dipole picks it up fine!

I think I'll go with 12 rather than 49, I think its easier to combine a VHF and a UHF rather than two UHFs without causing any interference.

John S.
post #1100 of 11096 Old 07-18-2005, 11:44 PM

i also live in Benicia and i am trying to figure this out so when i go and buy my new LCD i can get a HD Antenna. Well we all live in hills in benicia but other then that the Buildings are all about 2 stories, trees less then 30 feet almost everywhere besides downtown. Plys SF is pretty much blocked out from us by Hills from sorrounding cities. I don't really want to have to mount a roof antenna so what can i do about indoor antennas what you think are the best indoor ones?
post #1101 of 11096 Old 07-22-2005, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

While going through some old paper work today I came across a few copies of the Sutro Tower Antenna Diagram that I passed out at a local meeting of HDTV enthusiasts a couple of years ago.

I thought it would be useful to have it on my "Broadcasting" web site, so I scanned it in and added to the page with the Sutro Tower photos. You'll find it at: http://www.larrykenney.com/sutrotwr.html

Larry
SF

Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #1102 of 11096 Old 07-22-2005, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, Larry! I wouldn't've traded jobs with those "two men" despite the great view they had.

From the diagram, I gather that the reason I receive D29 strongest and D19 weakest of all the Sutro DTV signals must have to do with xmitter power. What's the best source of up-to-date info on current power levels, do you know offhand?
post #1103 of 11096 Old 07-23-2005, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What's the best source of up-to-date info on current power levels, do you know offhand
call the stations .
milt
post #1104 of 11096 Old 07-23-2005, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

milt--

Bzzt! Wrong, but thanks for playing.

Google turned up on this page a nice spreadsheet dated today(!), but evidently based on FCC license info, so I don't know how "current" it is really. Nevertheless, it shows that KPIX is at a MW and KBWB is a puny 383 kW, confirming my guess about radiated power levels.
post #1105 of 11096 Old 07-27-2005, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

That list from the dxfm site looks pretty accurate.

I use the FCC web site: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html
Just type in the callsign of the station you're interested in, hit "Submit Data" and you'll get a listing for each license, construction permit, STA, or whatever is on file for that station. Click on one of the lines and you'll get all kinds of information on the specified station: channel, frequency, transmitter location (with a link to a map), power, antenna height, and more.

Hopefully, the information on the FCC site is the most current.

Larry
SF

post #1106 of 11096 Old 07-27-2005, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks again, Larry!

I'm sure that the FCC info is the most current on licensing. My concern about it is that a particular DTV station may have permission to transmit at high power, but actually use a lower power in these days of early-adopter viewership to save money on their electric bill. You, as an old pro in the biz, probably know if that's now a valid consideration or not...hmm? If so, maybe milt was right after all (perish the thought of all those phone calls just to find out who knows the answer and is willing to talk!).
post #1107 of 11096 Old 07-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Thanks again, Larry!

I thought you would have written Larry something like :-

"Bzzt! Correct, and thanks for playing - you win the prize. "

peter
post #1108 of 11096 Old 08-01-2005, 12:16 AM

Hi everyone,

I am moving from Berkeley to either San Ramon or Pleasanton. In Berkeley, I received all OTA channels except NBC using an unamplified directional antenna that came with my ATI HDTV wonder. What should I expect of my reception (if any) in San Ramon and Pleasanton using the same equipment?

Thanks
post #1109 of 11096 Old 08-01-2005, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

v1--

You might get the Sac'to stations.... But you'll likely need an outdoor antenna and amplifier.
post #1110 of 11096 Old 08-01-2005, 02:02 PM

To add what TPete says, it would seem unlikely that you would get anything from Sutro tower with the hills west of you in the way without an extremely high antenna.

Brian...reporting from the left coast...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page