post #11881 of 11887 Old Today, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
I am having a horrible delay with page 396 of this thread.
SHF
I've had a few times lately where it taken some time to connect to AVS, but I haven't noticed any delay once I'm connected, including page 396. Wonder what's causing the problem.

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 11887 Old Today, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[QUOTE=SFischer1;32271337]KFSF went off the air ~ 6 AM it appears.

Check Toast0's chart for outages over a hour.

http://ruka.org/~toast/atscdata/chart.php?c=7

SHF

Ew, does that mean they are done, over and out? Was enjoying the movies.

What is this Channel 1 you guys speak of?

Thanks again, Paul
post #11883 of 11887 Old Today, 08:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
KFSF went off the air ~ 6 AM it appears.

Check Toast0's chart for outages over a hour.

http://ruka.org/~toast/atscdata/chart.php?c=7

SHF

Thanks again, Paul
post #11884 of 11887 Old Today, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulamI View Post

Thanks again, Paul
It's unlikely KFSF is off the air for good. Channel 1 is KAXT, a low power station transmitting from Fremont.

Chuck
post #11885 of 11887 Unread Today, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post
AFD is Active Format Description. This is a method that attempts to display each frame correctly (mostly in an effort to avoid the postage stamp effect).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Format_Description

Ron
Well, I presume that it would require the decoder to somehow handle the INFORMATION correctly, and now they don't handle basic stuff like the anamorphic flag (I assume it's a "flag") always...

And then there's the guys at the stations who don't seem to know how to set up anything correctly without trying a bunch of times at least. When KRON moved they went through about four iterations of 4-3 until they finally settled on what they wanted, but in doing so they revealed that they are actually a wide-screen channel, so they should have settled on 480i 16:9 anamorphic, but NOOOOO, they pillar-box their content. "Decades" channel 5-2 went through the same nonsense and revealed they too are actually broadcasting 16:9 content pillar-boxed to 4:3 for no good reason other than a certain number of TVs never got the memo about respecting the 16:9 anamorphic flag automatically...ALL channels should broadcast in 16:9 in this year of 2015 in my opinion, even my most brain-dead TV can be set to automatically expand anamorphic screen sizes for all 480i channels, most do it automatically anyway...

--
maxreactance
post #11886 of 11887 Unread Today, 06:50 PM

Liked: 12
Help on Quality feedback

Hi Chuck and Larry and others,

I got some feedback from Al who is able to pick up KFTY-LD Channel 2 from Mt. St. Helena in the mountains near Yosemite. I think this is the furthest I know of anyone regularly watching an LPTV station (he is probably a few more miles away than Chuck, maybe 170 miles total). He says he picks up KFTY-LD 80% of the time, and only picks up KEMO 50 (RF 32) 30% of the time.

He said, only sub-channel 8 looked good on KFTY-LD. I'm running 2.4 Mbps on the .8 channel and the rest have been running 2.05 to 2.1 Mbps. So, I just now turned of the .9 channel on KFTY-LD and bumped up all of the rest of the channels so that everything is running 2.4 Mbps. Does everything look better to you? Granted, my .2 channel and .7 channels come from low quality feeds, but my .4 comes directly from a computer hooked into the mux / encoder, so it should look better as should the other sub-channels.

Perhaps I was too ambitious with 9 sub-channels. If so, then I'll stick with just 8 sub-channels going forward until I can afford a $130,000 encoder from Harmonic that can do 12 sub-channels. The Anywave encoder was about a tenth the price.

I did have problems with my Anywave encoder recentely where the static PSIP info disappeared. I restarted it, but now it looks like the .1 channel is saying .229. I'm asking Anywave for help.

Blessings,
Keith
post #11887 of 11887 Unread Today, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Keith,

I just compared KFTY DayStar to KACA DayStar which is the only program they show. The color on KACA is over saturated. KFTY looks better in that regard. The video quality looks identical otherwise.

Maybe Al is expecting SD video to look like HD video.

I looked at the transmitter overlay in Google Earth for KFTY and there are a number of good spots on mountaintops west of Yosemite at around 170 miles. Al must be in just the right spot.

The most distant transmitter site that I can receive here is Mt. Toro at 132 miles. KMMD-LD 39 is the most reliable station from there with KION being second.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page