post #11941 of 11969 Old 03-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
The small size of your new spectrum analyzer will be great, as you say, for taking it with you wherever you go. Neat find!
I'm surprised that KKPX is strong enough to wipe out channel 40.
I'm not familiar with MER and BER. What are those measurements?
Where did you get the 30 dBuV reading for KTVJ since it's not on the air yet?
Also, what are the two edges between your place and Loma Prieta? I can't figure out what they are. I thought it was pretty flat across that area.

Larry
Channel 40 used to come in here very well. When they changed the antenna pattern, that was the end of channel 40.
I will take a wild guess .... KTXL Fox 40 had something to do with it. It does not serve this area anymore. With a huge drop off.

Not sure what MER is at the moment. BER is "bit error rate" also has a "Constellation diagram" mode and
not sure the purpose of watching "constellation diagram" dots slowly filling the screen & some leaving. ??

Loma Prieta works here, (KNTV digital & analog) but were not the strongest stations then. Despite the "ghosts" on analog KNTV, digital had no issues.
Not all of Hayward is the flat-lands. It goes up & over the hill. (Fairview district & Kelly hill neighborhoods)

30 dBuV shows when the channel is truly "empty" Not alot of "empty" channel slots. I think channel 5 was the only VHF one too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11942 of 11969 Old 03-14-2015, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Why are the SNR's so low? KKPX is -30.2 dBm (78.6 dBuV). Using TV Fool's method that's a noise margin of 60.7 dB, definitely a monster signal! I'd expect the SNR to be >30 dB. KEMO at -68.2 dBm (40.6 dBuV) would have a noise margin of 22.6 dB. That could put the SNR at >30 dB.
Is the meter capable of displaying in dBm?

Chuck
When I tune some stations, "HI" is displayed with no readings. I think to get it working again, it has a step "Attenuator" feature (about -20db)
So I may have hit "ok" button and activated it. Or I may have had it in "Analog" mode instead of "digital"
Thats the only thing I can think of.
"HI" is displayed on alot of channels, 29,30,44,45

No not dBm, I would need to do math with the reading it can do ..... to find "dBm"
post #11943 of 11969 Old 03-14-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC View Post
Not sure what MER is at the moment.

30 dBuV shows when the channel is truly "empty" Not alot of "empty" channel slots. I think channel 5 was the only VHF one too.
MER = Modulation Error Ratio which is the 8VSB equivalent of simple SNR. If I understand it correctly MER uses the ratio of an 8VSB symbol to the background noise (including multipath).

A Symbol is the digital number represented by one modulation state. In 8VSB that means 0 - 7 or 3 bits.

Quote:
When I tune some stations, "HI" is displayed with no readings. I think to get it working again, it has a step "Attenuator" feature (about -20db)
So I may have hit "ok" button and activated it. Or I may have had it in "Analog" mode instead of "digital"
Thats the only thing I can think of.
"HI" is displayed on alot of channels, 29,30,44,45
Sounds like "HI" means the signal is too strong and is out of the dynamic range of the analyzer.

30 dBuV is -78.75 dBm and is probably the value of the noise in the 6 MHz bandwidth with no signal present. I can infer from that that the noise figure of the analyzer is around 11 dB. That would actually be good as far as spectrum analyzers go.

Chuck
post #11944 of 11969 Old 03-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sounds like "HI" means the signal is too strong and is out of the dynamic range of the analyzer.
30 dBuV is -78.75 dBm and is probably the value of the noise in the 6 MHz bandwidth with no signal present. I can infer from that that the noise figure of the analyzer is around 11 dB. That would actually be good as far as spectrum analyzers go.
Chuck
Possibly the range is 30-80 dBuV .... or the screen is too small for the range ... IDK
30 dBuV is/was the "center" of RF channel 4, .... where as with RF 11, there is a "bell curve" from about the center frequency to the upper that joins RF 12 KNTV
This is more noticeable on the adjacent lower channel ... then the adjacent upper channel. RF-13 is more clean ... but has traces of KCBA and/or KNTV
I cannot tune the .31 for just the pilot ... Only whole numbers.

Looks like UHF channels 58 through 62 here are already in use for other purposes.
I saw a very small on/off pulse on RF 37

I can select a voltage .... 0v, 5v, 12v, or 24v for power to amplifier, etc. .... During use of the analyzer for rooftop work.
That may put a dent on the 2 hour battery life.
post #11945 of 11969 Old 03-15-2015, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 35
dB, dBm, dBuV... all these different values make my head spin, and they always have. I've never been able to get a handle on how the various dB values compare. It's just like when comparing antennas and you get the gain in different dB values, I have a problem figuring out how they compare. I must have slept through that class in tech school.

The dB readings I give for signal strength are from the scale used in my Sony TV for dB SNR, signal to noise ratio. I don't know what dB value they use, but I know that a signal below 15.2 dB doesn't produce a picture, and then it shows values from 15.2 up to a maxium of 33 dB where the signal is super strong and clean. I haven't seen a reading higher than 33 dB. A signal of 15-16 dB shows as a value of 10 on the signal scale. Anything from 31 to 33 dB shows as a 98. It doesn't go up to 100.

On another tuner, 27 dB is the maximum reading. 15 dB produces a reading of 50% on the meter labeled "signal strength" and anything 27 dB or stronger produces a reading of 100.

A third TV has a completely different scale and only show signals at certain levels on a 0 to 100 scale. A signal just strong enough to produce a picture is a 50, then it jumps to 62, 67, 75, 81, and finally 100. There are no readings shown in between these values. You only see these six values.

Why is this all so confusing?

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #11946 of 11969 Old 03-15-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The scale that TVs use for Signal Quality has no correspondence with SNR in dB between TVs. Even the SNR in dB doesn't always correspond between TVs. It's not even implemented the same by one manufacturer across different models.

I was just over at my friend's house who has a Sony a bit older than mine. His TV displays SNR in steps of 1 dB only. Mine is in steps of 0.1 dB. Another friend has a Sony that displays SNR in steps of 0.01 dB.

All the other uses of dB have fixed meanings.

Overall dBm (dB referenced to 1 milliwatt) is the most widely used units. In the TV world some people use dBmV (dB referenced to 1 millivolt) and dBuV (dB referenced to 1 microvolt). I've seen plenty of articles on DTV that use dBm. I prefer to convert to dBm.

You've probably seen that 0 dBmV = -48.75 dBm. Since 1 microvolt is 60 dB less than 1 millivolt, 0 dBuV = -108.75 dBm. (These are in a 75 ohm system. Nobody uses dBmV or dBuV in a 50 ohm system that I've ever seen.) To convert from dBmV or dBuV to dBm simply add the number to -48.75 dBm or -108.75 dBm.

In the example where Ben's analyzer reads 30 dBuV for the background noise, add that to -108.75 dBm to get -78.75 dBm. Had the display units been in dBmV, the level would have been -30 dBmV. In that case add -30 to -48.75 to get -78.75 dBm.

Chuck
post #11947 of 11969 Old 03-15-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Wasn't ABC going to dump the bandwidth wasting Live Well back in January? What happened?
post #11948 of 11969 Old 03-15-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

ABC O&O's will be keeping Live Well on all of the .2 channels. KGO has to follow the orders of ABC Hq in NYC and have no choice in the matter. On April 15th all of the O&O's will be adding a new program called LAFF on the .3 channels.

Some stations, like KXTV 10 in Sacramento, did drop Live Well back in January.

Larry

Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #11949 of 11969 Old 03-15-2015, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been surprised at how stable conditions have been for the past week or two. Signals have all been holding steady at about normal levels with no dips or increases day after day from all directions. It's weird to see no changes for such a long period.

Larry

post #11950 of 11969 Old 03-16-2015, 01:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
ABC O&O's will be keeping Live Well on all of the .2 channels. KGO has to follow the orders of ABC Hq in NYC and have no choice in the matter. On April 15th all of the O&O's will be adding a new program called LAFF on the .3 channels.

Some stations, like KXTV 10 in Sacramento, did drop Live Well back in January.

Larry
That's too bad, and since the viewer is not the customer in this arrangement, the advertisers are, I suppose they have to do what they have to make money. It's a good thing there are alternative sources for ABC programming.
post #11951 of 11969 Old 03-18-2015, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The FCC today granted the construction permit for K03HY in San Francisco. I think that's the last CP needed by Keith to make all his changes.

Chuck
post #11952 of 11969 Old 03-19-2015, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The FCC today granted the construction permit for K03HY in San Francisco. I think that's the last CP needed by Keith to make all his changes.

Chuck
Now we get to watch for KTVJ channel 4, virtual 12, to appear from Mt. Tam, and channel 3 to disappear and then reappear from it's new location here in San Francisco. It's going to be interesting to see how the new signals compare to the existing channel 3 signal.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kenney; 03-21-2015 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
post #11953 of 11969 Old 03-19-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now we get to watch for KTVJ channel 4, virtual 12, to appear from Mt. Tam, and channel 3 to disappear and then reappear from it's new location here in San Francisco. It's going to be interesting to see how the new signals compare the the existing channel 3 signal.

Larry

I wonder if you'll be able to receive 4 as K03HY as it is going to be very strong since it'll be so close? The difference between the two signals may be too much. How far from K03HY will you be? I'm sure from Keith's point of view it doesn't matter as long as you receive at least one of the One Ministries stations.

Chuck
post #11954 of 11969 Old 03-19-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Smile

Quote:

Chuck
I also am waiting on the minor mode for K05NA-D Monterey Channel 5. :-)
I have my work cut out for myself to take down the channel 3 antennas and transmitter at Mt. Tam and put up the channel 4 antennas and transmitter. I think my wife and kids and I will work on Channel 16 in Redding this weekend, though.

Blessings,
Keith
post #11955 of 11969 Old 03-19-2015, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wonder if you'll be able to receive 4 as K03HY as it is going to be very strong since it'll be so close? The difference between the two signals may be too much. How far from K03HY will you be?
Chuck
The new location at the Clay-Jones building is about two and a half miles away to the northeast from here.

Larry

post #11956 of 11969 Old 03-22-2015, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Now we get to watch for KTVJ channel 4, virtual 12, to appear from Mt. Tam, and channel 3 to disappear and then reappear from it's new location here in San Francisco. It's going to be interesting to see how the new signals compare to the existing channel 3 signal.

Larry
So does anyone know if the metro bay area is at .... or near channel capacity now ?

The only RF / VHF open slots that I can think of being open now are channel(s) 6 & 11
Is UHF full now?
post #11957 of 11969 Old 03-23-2015, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So does anyone know if the metro bay area is at .... or near channel capacity now ?
The only RF / VHF open slots that I can think of being open now are channel(s) 6 & 11
Is UHF full now?
There are new channels coming from One Ministry on channels 2 in San Jose, transmitting from Loma Prieta, and 5 in Monterey, plus there is a new channel 6 low power authorization for Healdsburg. There are two low power stations authorized for channel 11: one for Santa Cruz with a transmitter on Loma Prieta and one for Cloverdale.

Most of UHF is full, but depending on where in the Bay Area you are, there are a couple open channels on UHF. Channels 15-18 are blocked out for mobile service in the Bay Area and 37 is set aside for Astronomical Research, so those aren't available, but there are possibilities on channels 22, 24 and 31. The closest station on channel 22 is a low power station down in Salinas and the closest station on channel 24 transmits from Red Bluff, although there is a low power station authorized for the channel in Sacramento. On channel 31 there's a station in Monterey and a low power station in Sacramento, but nothing locally. Every other channel has a station on it that you can receive here.

See my channel lists, linked below, to see what stations are on each channel within 100 miles of San Francisco.

Larry

post #11958 of 11969 Old 03-23-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
I think my wife and kids and I will work on Channel 16 in Redding this weekend, though.

Looks like you were busy as I see a License to Cover application for K16IW showed up at the FCC and was approved today!

Chuck
post #11959 of 11969 Old 03-23-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Looks like you were busy as I see a License to Cover application for K16IW showed up at the FCC and was approved today!

Chuck
Hi Chuck,

Yes, we turned on Channel 16 in Redding this last weekend. Now that the license has been granted, I need to file another follow-on minor modification to improve the transmit antenna array.

Blessings,
Keith
post #11960 of 11969 Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
That's too bad, and since the viewer is not the customer in this arrangement, the advertisers are, I suppose they have to do what they have to make money. It's a good thing there are alternative sources for ABC programming.
Well, this viewer is pleased to still see LWN being broadcast locally. I love the cooking shows. There must be enough of us watching, or the advertisers would not be interested, now would they?
post #11961 of 11969 Old 03-25-2015, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The FCC has just granted the modification of K05NA-D in Monterey at 10805 Saddle Road, Monterey.
post #11962 of 11969 Old 03-25-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATV View Post
The FCC has just granted the modification of K05NA-D in Monterey at 10805 Saddle Road, Monterey.
Hi,

Did you simply search the FCC database to see the grant, or did you have an automated way to be notified of the grant? With the change to using the new forms, I no longer am alerted automatically by Vsoft of new LPTV actions by the FCC.

The Saddle Road address is the Hidden Hills site in Monterey. It is right across the highway from the race track. I think of it as the "Compromise" site for covering Monterey, Santa Cruz, and Salinas. It is not as good as Fremont Peak, but it has the advantage of being shielded from San Jose, which allows for re-use of frequencies for the Monterey area. The father of the current site manager / owner bought the tower site for a $1 in exchange for managing the tower for the first full power FMs at the site that didn't want to be bothered by having to keep the tower lighting going and such.

Blessings,
Keith
post #11963 of 11969 Old 03-26-2015, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Keith,

I just look at the CDBS daily. All apps show up about 9:15 PM Sunday - Thursday. Then at the end of the day Monday - Friday I check for grants.
post #11964 of 11969 Old 03-26-2015, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

After a long period of steady, normal signals, I'm finally seeing some changes. Yesterday signals from Walnut Grove were up, coming in stronger than usual. Then tonight everything's taken a nose dive and all of the signals are way down from normal. I guess this high pressure area that's over us is finally stirring up the inversion layer a little. I'm happy to see a little activity. Things were getting really boring. LOL

Larry

post #11965 of 11969 Unread Today, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Has anyone seen pixelation and/or macroblocking no KNTV 11 recently? Our OTA reception has been rock solid for years and all of a sudden on Thursday night during The Blacklist we started to experience some audio issues followed by either minor pixelating or out right macroblocking. Have never experienced it to this degree ever. It was even happening a bit last night during the ball game. I checked the little Samsung in the bedroom and noticed it as well so it wasn't my main tv. The antenna is on the roof at about 30'AGL and held firmly in place with three sets of guy wires. I do have a rotor but have never had to change orientation.
post #11966 of 11969 Unread Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I've been seeing a bit of that via DishNetwork which receives its signal OTA. It was very bad last week, less so this week but there is still a bit of it....

Bobby 

post #11967 of 11969 Unread Today, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'm hoping it's something amiss with KNTV and not my setup, which has been pretty much dead-on-balls for years.
post #11968 of 11969 Unread Today, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

There has been an on-going discussion about KNTV having pixelation problems for the past few days on the local Yahoo HDTV Group - (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/HDTV-in-SFbay/info). Several on there have noticed the pixelation, so it's not due to any antenna problems on your end, Otto.

Larry

post #11969 of 11969 Unread Today, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that was the first place I posted but I thought I'd post here to hit a wider Bay Area audience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page