San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #1171 of 11555 Old 09-01-2005, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I paid $100 for the antenna and have to say it blows the silver sensor away. I live in a midrise condo complex in the city and although the silver sensor worked fine, I had to keep on adjusting the position for different channels. Plugged in the sharpshooter and no more adjusting the position. I've also noticed that the mid-range sound is louder as well. When I would watch CSI on CBS, I always had to adjust the volume because the background music was too loud and the voices were always too soft. In my humble opinion, the sharpshooter is worth the steep price tag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 11555 Old 09-01-2005, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
hongerelli--

A change in DTV audio seems extremely unlikely to be due to an antenna change, as long as the signal was giving unbroken video. Are you sure that you didn't change something else in your setup that may have affected the DD5.1 sound processing?
post #1173 of 11555 Old 09-02-2005, 01:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Interesting recent stuff here. I have some advice and a request for help:

First, the advice:
* The DirecTV antenna is a Winegard Sensar II. It works OK, but really depends where you are. Worked fine for me in an attic in Mountain View (101 side). Works pretty poorly in Redwood City (near Atherton, Woodside 280 side).

Now the questions:
* I just installed a CM4228 because I was tired of the Sensar. I am getting 70s and into the 80s on most channels. Don't know yet about stutters (many with the Sensar). I am getting barely any signal on NBC, which came through somewhat on the Sensar (a VHF/UHF antenna). I am wondering if boosting the 4228 with a preamp might improve things any more of it that's overkill?

* I am thinking I wait out KNTV until the xmitter move (no NBC = minimal loss for a while). But if it doesn't come in well, I'll definitely go up to add a channel 12 antenna and combiner (or a filter of some sort for the Sensar to let out only channel 12). At that point, I could add the preamp if recommended.

I would assume the CM7777 would be the way to go? Or maybe the CM7778 to get less UHF boost? Might the 7777 overboost some pretty good UHF?

Please advise because I'd like to source the stuff soon and be able to act once the xmitter move is done without then ordering parts.

Thanks,
Mark

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #1174 of 11555 Old 09-02-2005, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Rogo, the CM4228 is only a UHF antenna. It's not designed to work on channel 12, even though some people have had success in getting KNTV with it. Plus it's very directional, and Loma Prieta, where KNTV is transmitting from now, is in the opposite direction from Sutro and Mt. San Bruno.

I'd wait until KNTV makes their move to Mt. San Bruno sometime this month. I bet you'll get it with your 4228 pointed at Sutro. Do you get decent signals for channels 26.1 (27) and 65.1 (41)? They're both transmitting from just a few feet away from where KNTV is going to be.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #1175 of 11555 Old 09-02-2005, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 447
I have a question about this antenna if anyone is using one. It's a 91XG from Antennas Direct.

Should the balun box be mounted with the coax hookup facing forward towards the directors or back toward the two reflectors? I can't tell from the assembly instructions. Does it even matter? I was thinking of facing it backward and running the coax out the tail of the boom and down behind the reflectors.

Thanks in advance for the help.
post #1176 of 11555 Old 09-02-2005, 03:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Never mind, it only fits one way otherwise it blocks a hole for one of the directors.
post #1177 of 11555 Old 09-02-2005, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Point the directors towards the stations your trying to get. You would be shocked how many go the backwards way & don't know why its not working.
post #1178 of 11555 Old 09-02-2005, 05:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

No, I got that, I was asking about the balun box, which I have figured out, thanks.
post #1179 of 11555 Old 09-03-2005, 01:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

Rogo, the CM4228 is only a UHF antenna. It's not designed to work on channel 12, even though some people have had success in getting KNTV with it. Plus it's very directional, and Loma Prieta, where KNTV is transmitting from now, is in the opposite direction from Sutro and Mt. San Bruno.

I'd wait until KNTV makes their move to Mt. San Bruno sometime this month. I bet you'll get it with your 4228 pointed at Sutro. Do you get decent signals for channels 26.1 (27) and 65.1 (41)? They're both transmitting from just a few feet away from where KNTV is going to be.

Larry, thanks, I'm aware it's UHF only. I had just heard the success stories and decided to go for it.

I get 85-88 (per HD Tivo) on 27 and 41, so that bodes well. What I want to avoid, however, are those occasional dropouts on the other channels. That's why I asked about the preamp.

I have to go up top (two story) again to remove the Sensar no matter what, so I figured if the preamp wouldn't hurt, I might want to go ahead an install it. Still not sure which one, though.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #1180 of 11555 Old 09-03-2005, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there any hope in getting OTA in Novato, San Marin area?

I noticed that Directv site here list me as
ABC KGO-DT Grade A (strong signal)
CBS KPIX-DT Grade A (strong signal)
FOX KTVU-DT Grade A (strong signal)
NBC KNTV-DT Grade B (Eligible for DNS)

Haven't tried an outdoor antenna but would like to. A dish installer said it would be unlikely that I would receive any good signals here.

Anyone in Novato have any success? An antenna recommendation would be appreciated but keep in mind that location is restricted to condo patio with southerly exposure.
post #1181 of 11555 Old 09-04-2005, 04:53 PM

Is KRON-HD at channel 4 still around? I have both Comcast HD and OTA with Silver Sensor, and I used to get all the channels except for occasional drop of KNTV at channel 11. Some days ago I noticed I'm not getting KRON at channel 4 and KNTV at channel 11 at all. Was there any change in station channels? Time to get new indoor antenna?

Oh, and does anyone remember the fcc website link that tells you the location and angle to the all the broadcast towers in the area from your home address? I can't find them any more.
post #1182 of 11555 Old 09-05-2005, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For antenna angles go to antennaweb.org:
http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx.

For info on the transmitters go to the FCC site:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html
Lee
post #1183 of 11555 Old 09-06-2005, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Jylee, both KRON and KNTV are there like always. KRON's HD is on channel 4.2.

Larry

Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #1184 of 11555 Old 09-06-2005, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Keenan... how's that 91XG antenna from Antennas Direct working out for you? I've heard that they have tremendous gain.

Have you tried the CM4228? If so, how do the two compare?

Larry
SF

post #1185 of 11555 Old 09-06-2005, 03:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Keenan... how's that 91XG antenna from Antennas Direct working out for you? I've heard that they have tremendous gain.

Have you tried the CM4228? If so, how do the two compare?

Larry
SF

I've tried the CM4228, a CM4248 and now the 91XG. I have had variables change in my system over the months since originally starting this adventure so that is something to note. The 2 CM antennas were used with the tuner in my display(Mits WS73615) and a Samsung SIR-TS160 DirecTV receiver. Results were very sporadic and never good enough to comfortably watch a program without a fair amount of breakups. I have since added a Dish 942 receiver that I connected the CM4248 to and I was surprised at the improved ability to hold the signal longer without breakup. The Dish unit also has a "signal strength" meter which makes it very handy for pointing the antenna using the rotor. The one channel that I want and can't get by any other means than OTA is KBHK(UPN) 45.1 and with the 91XG and the Dish receiver I can actually record an hour long HD show on UPN without any breakups.

So the answer to the question is yes, I would say that the 91XG is better than the 2 CMs I have tried. It seems to be even more directional than the CM4248. Just got it up 2 days ago and have been mainly watching 45.1 to see how it's doing. With the channel scan the Dish unit shows about 8 channels, the only ones of interest to me being of course KBHK, and KTVU. KTVU comes in okay, but is not as reliable as KBHK, although I haven't really peaked the antenna for any stations other than KBHK so that may be improved.

With a distance of 55 mi as the crow flies and a couple of 1000' plus peaks in the path I'm pretty happy with the performance of the 91XG. It is the best reception I've had to date going back a few years and a lot of time and money. What's interesting is when I lose the signal on KBHK I'll check KTVU and it will be out as well, and then they will both come back. I can only speculate what would be the cause, maybe a plane as it loses signal just briefly and returns at the original strength after a moment or two.

With the luck I have had with the 91XG I am really tempted to try a setup like the one below. I may even try a 91XG at a different location from the tree mount I currently use. I used to get KPIX when I used a CM4228 at a location about 100' away from the tree but never reliably, the 91XG might just do the trick although as I mentioned, UPN-HD is the only channel I can't get from other sources so it remains to be seen if I will go through that effort(and money). The remote elevation adjustment like the setup below has tickled my interest as well since I don't have line-of-sight and adjustment up or down on the horizontal plane might improve things even more.

Overall, if you are in a deep fringe area or an area with challenging terrain I highly recommend giving the 91XG a try. It's about $20-$30 more than a CM4228 or CM4248 but I think it's worth it. I like the construction of the 91XG as well and it ships in a box a third of the length of the boom so it's very unlikely to be damaged in shipping as has happened to me in the past with the CM antennas.

P.S. Now I wish I had hung onto the LG4200a I sold about 6-8 months ago. Are there any stand alone 5th gen receivers available on the market yet? Weren't they supposed to be available at the beginning of this year...?
post #1186 of 11555 Old 09-07-2005, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I posted this info on the Comcast thread, but also thought folks here would be interested as well.

Recently I was watching the Giants game on KTVU and wondered why it was not in HD. I mean KTVU does broadcast HD content every evening. And we know the cameras at PacBell (Oops, SBC) park are HD since they broadcast games in HD on InHD2. So I sent an EMail to Lori Daniel, program director (I think) at KTVU asking why the game was not in HD. The reply follows:

Quote:

But thanks for asking about HD games. Each game that we broadcast in HD costs almost double what a Standard Definition game costs, (to produce) so we have planned our HD schedule to include 10 HD games this season (we will broadcast 45-46 games this year). Fox Sports Bay Area has a sponsorship arrangement with Comcast this year, and that has enabled Fox Sports Bay Area to carry most of their games in HD. The Fox Network will have SOME of their Saturday games in HD, but not all of them each week. We hope that next year we will have a sponsor that is interested in helping to defray the costs of HD production, and that we can include more games in HD - our goal would be for the entire schedule to be in HD.

So it appears it is a matter of $$$. I am not sure why it should cost nearly double to produce a broadcast in HD. But that is what he claims. And I guess this is another reason to subscribe to Comcast, to get games in HD.

Here is hoping KTVU gets a sponsor for next year so all games will be in HD.

Greg
post #1187 of 11555 Old 09-07-2005, 05:32 PM

ditto on that.
post #1188 of 11555 Old 09-08-2005, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation of your antenna tests and the antennas and receivers you've used. I have always found RF reception to be extremely interesting (probably the main reason I got my ham license) and I enjoy trying to receive distant stations. I get KFTY-DT occasionally, but it doesn't lock up for long. I'm still trying to get a lock on a digital signal out of Sacramento/Stockton. I've got signals, but not enough to lock in a picture.

Using two 91XG's, as shown in that photo you posted, should definitely improve your signal levels, but I would think that if they were mounted at different locations and then combined together you might find that you get more stations more reliably. Whether or not the time and expense is worth it for you is the big question.

I have finally found an antenna arrangement here that solves most of my problems. As you've read from me in the past, I've never been able to find one antenna setting where I can get all of the digital stations transmitting from Sutro Tower... and I'm only 3/4 of a mile away from it. I've been able to get all of the stations, but have had to rotate the antenna to different directions for the various stations. I've tried it with both the CM4228 and the Antenna Craft D9000, an FM-VHF-UHF combination antenna, and I have the same problem with both.

A while back I saw a used CM4228 for sale for $20 and grabbed it. Using it and my original CM4228 tied together using a simple splitter used backwards as a combiner I now can get all of the Sutro channels without using the rotor! With the two antennas pointed in different directions but working together, I found a combination that works. Added to this is a Winegard 3113 for Ch12 using a Joiner and I can now watch all of the Sutro stations plus KNTV-DT without switching or rotating antennas!

Possibly positioning two 91XG's at different locations and combining them together will work for you like the two CM4228's working together solved my problems.

My next project is to try adding a CM4248 that I have to the mix, pointing it toward the East Bay hills so that I can get those stations too without messing with the switch and rotor. At some point I'll probably have too many antennas combined together and will end up with multipath hell, but I'll keep trying various combinations to see what works and what doesn't.

As for receivers, I haven't tried a 5th generation receiver yet. From what I've read there are now two receivers available using the 5th gen software, an LG and a computer card (can't remember the model numbers). I have three receivers here, the one built into my Sony, a Hi-Pix computer card, and the Dish 811. The Dish 811 is the best of the three. It seems to hold the weaker stations better and there are less video break ups with it than with the other two receivers. Your Dish 942 is probably equal to or better than the 811, so it should be one of the better ones, but it's still not 5th gen.

Keep us posted on your progress, Keenan.

Larry
SF

post #1189 of 11555 Old 09-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am in Noe Valley, and I noticed that the last couple of days that KRON 4.1 is now only showing weather 24 hrs a day? Did they switch to another channel? I get the analog KRON just fine. I have tried re scanning, and I do not get another KRONDT, except for 4.2, which say KRONHDT, but under the description, it says HDNET programming. I have been getting that channel for a while, and never could understand why it says KRON but is showing HDNET programming.
post #1190 of 11555 Old 09-08-2005, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Using two 91XG's, as shown in that photo you posted, should definitely improve your signal levels, but I would think that if they were mounted at different locations and then combined together you might find that you get more stations more reliably. Whether or not the time and expense is worth it for you is the big question.

Keep us posted on your progress, Keenan.

Larry
SF

Wouldn't using two in different locations give the receiver fits with regard to multipath? I thought about using the CM4248 I took down at another location and joining the two but the multipath issue caused me to hesitate....no harm in trying though.

Dish seems to put pretty good tuners in their boxes, I was getting a 70% reading last night on KBHK, never, ever, have I had that high a reading for any channel other than KCRB which pegs the meter.

What LG unit are you referring to? I didn't think there were any 5th gen units available yet, other than integrated displays.
post #1191 of 11555 Old 09-08-2005, 09:47 PM

I live in northern San Jose near Milpitas and am having trouble picking up tonight's football game from ABC (channel 7.1). More specifically, I can't get a signal on 7.1 at all and the best I can get from 7 has a lot of fuzz. I'm using a cheap RCA ANT121 indoor antenna. I can pick up other SF stations like KRON 4.1 just fine. Does anyone in this area have a similar problem? Do you guys think a more powerful antenna should do the trick? If so, do you have recommendations? I really want to get ABC 7.1 because it will have monday night football in HD.
post #1192 of 11555 Old 09-08-2005, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The following story is on the San Francisco Chronicle web site, and will most likely be in tomorrow's paper:

KNTV to fill the gaps
New San Bruno tower to restore NBC service to all S.F.

If all goes well, NBC will be back on the airwaves in the city by early next week.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...09/09/KNTV.TMP

Larry

post #1193 of 11555 Old 09-08-2005, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed the same thing on KRON 4 - Weather and Traffic. They are no longer simulcasting their analog programming. Why? I don't know.

As for the HD on 4.2, that's a service provided to stations by HDNet. They provide archived programming that was broadcast on HDNet itself a year or two ago and KRON simply offers the service, like KGO offers ABC and KPIX offers CBS.

Larry

post #1194 of 11555 Old 09-08-2005, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Keenan...

I've always heard that two antennas tied together would produce multipath problems, but someone else told me that they had good luck doing it, so I tried it. It solved my problems, so it might work for you, too. Won't hurt to try it!

As for the LG receiver, I would have to do a lot of researching to find the model number. I can't remember if it was a set top box receiver or one in one of their TVs. Sorry!

Larry

post #1195 of 11555 Old 09-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Keenan...

I've always heard that two antennas tied together would produce multipath problems, but someone else told me that they had good luck doing it, so I tried it. It solved my problems, so it might work for you, too. Won't hurt to try it!

I use two antennas - the CM 4228 pointed at Sutro and a UHF Radio Shack pointed at the hills above Fremont. I attenuate the CM signal with a 6db device before connecting to the Radio Schack signal via a splitter used backwards (1GHz). Works fine after a lot of messing about ;-)

peter
post #1196 of 11555 Old 09-09-2005, 10:11 AM

I am in Milpitas and had issues with my previous HDTV receiver so I installed two additional antennas on my mast (on the second story roof) for a total of 4! One old VHF/UHF pointed south, one old VHF/UHF pointed to Sutro, one new Radio Shack UHF only pointed dead north and one CM 4228 pointed to Fremont hills. It didn't help!! So I replaced the receiver with a Samsung and get all the local HD channels with really good quality! I was going to go up and remove some antennas, but since it works, I have left it alone. Now I was careful about placement on the mast - the recommendation is that if you use more than one antenna to make sure they are placed at least 3/4 wavelength apart (I think it was 3/4...), which is more critcal for VHF waves than UHF - so my VHF antennas are separated by about 9 vertical feet. With all that though, I know that the CM4228 was the best addition to my collection (second to the new receiver of course!!).

Oh and rooster - we watched the game in HD last night with no problems - I think you need a better antenna!
post #1197 of 11555 Old 09-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, are they not planning on getting another KRON HD?
post #1198 of 11555 Old 09-11-2005, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

SPeters wrote:
> So, are they not planning on getting another KRON HD?

KRON doesn't have room for another channel. With one stream running 1080i HD they're lucky to get by adding a second stream. There's no way they could add a third one.

Larry

post #1199 of 11555 Old 09-11-2005, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Sunday morning, 2:15 am - KNTV is solid on both channel 11 and channel 12 here at 21st and Eureka Streets in San Francisco. I can turn my antenna through a 60 degree arc and still get the digital channel. KNTV analog is snow free just about anywhere I point the antenna, although it's ghosty in some directions, and I can get a snowy picture with NO antenna.

I think we can safely say that KNTV is transmitting from Mt. San Bruno!

I wonder if this is permanent or are they just testing? We'll soon find out.

Larry
SF

post #1200 of 11555 Old 09-11-2005, 04:46 AM

Hmm, just got in and decided to watch some tv. After reading your post I rescanned my ota stations. It seems they may be doing testing, as I was able to tune it in at 100% just now, but now the signal disappeared on me and doesn't seem to be coming back. Oh well, at least it's happening. Hopefully it goes permanent later today, but I'm sure it will be very soon. No more switching back and forth to comcast for NBC.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page