post #12001 of 12004 Unread Today, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
Now Sutro may be different, perhaps there are agreements between stations as there are so many there that other engineers can do minor fixing. Larry likely can shed some light if he wishes.

Enter "1 La Avanzada St. San Francisco, CA 94131" into Google Earth if you have not done it before. You can zoom in and look right down the center of the tower. What is the flat structure to the North East?

KNTV is different as they do not have the huge number of other stations in the same or next building.

SHF
First, an overall statement that no station has an engineer on duty at their transmitter site. The transmitters are all controlled and monitored remotely from the station's master control center at the studio. Engineers visit the transmitter sites as needed to make adjustments and repairs, but no one works at the sites full time any more. Transmitters have become so reliable and stable, they need very little work.

Each station at Sutro has their own locked room. I can only speak for KGO, but only KGO engineering staff and the Sutro site general manager have keys to the KGO transmitter room. If something went wrong with the transmitter on the air and it went out of tolerance or went off the air, the system would automatically switch to the other transmitter. The few times I saw this happen, the station was off the air for just 8 seconds. That's all the time it took to switch the antenna coax from one transmitter to the other and have it turn on. Someone would then have to drive up to Sutro to make the adjustment or repair on the transmitter that went down. Only once did I see where both transmitters were down. The station was off the air for 55 minutes while an engineer drove up to the site and got the station back on the air. (Comcast and DirecTV viewers kept seeing programming as those services get a direct feed from the studio.)

On Mt. San Bruno, the only difference is that the transmitters are in separate buildings, not separate rooms.

Some stations contract their transmitter engineering to an outside engineer. I know several engineers who are responsible for more than one station.

That huge flat structure to the North East of Sutro Tower, as seen on Google Earth and Google and Bing maps, is one of the city of San Francisco's reservoirs. The city has several at high locations around the city, so in case of emergency and loss of power for the pumps, gravity will continue to supply water to the system. A little side story... all of the reservoirs were covered over with cement back in the late '60's when someone indicated how easy it would be to get the entire city high with LSD by just dropping some into the various water supplies.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12002 of 12004 Unread Today, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Thank you, Larry. Will do. The issues with the rotor, other than adding $150, are:

1. They don't seem to last long nearly as long as the antenna
2. Installers give a three month warranty on them
3. It can get stuck in a sub-optimal position

It's fun to be able to rotate an antenna. Anyone have a suggestion for an excellent lon-lasting reliable rotor ?
Strangely, the signal has been fine for the past 24 hours. Typing in this forum has been therapeutic in several ways!
My first rotor lasted 20+ years. I would re-sync it every year or so (if I remembered) just to make sure it worked. The control was an analog switch. When we installed a metal roof, we bought a new rotor, a Channel Master (RT-CM-9521A) with the 9537 remote control, and had the Antenna Doctor reinstall the antenna with the new rotor (I wanted the remote control). That was 4/26/06. We rarely move the rotor because we don't have to but I did re-sync it over the weekend and it worked just fine.

I too have the fear that it may get stuck in a sub-optimal position if I move it, but I never have to move it. And based on my experience, moving it every year or so has not been a problem. Right now it's really windy down here, and there is no problem with reception, even on 11-1!
post #12003 of 12004 Unread Today, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
... we bought a new rotor, a Channel Master (RT-CM-9521A) with the 9537 remote control, and had the Antenna Doctor reinstall the antenna with the new rotor (I wanted the remote control). That was 4/26/06.
That was the exact same rotor as the ones that failed for me. I used to turn mine a lot though, so maybe they wore out from too much use, not from the wind. LOL

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #12004 of 12004 Unread Today, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Interesting. I wonder at times why I even bought a rotor because we get everything we want with one orientation. I guess the thinking was that over time the wind and environment would move the antenna but that just hasn't been the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page