San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 406 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
PeninsulaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Exclamation Only 11.1 is driving me nutso: signal drops

Getting over 100 channels, and only 11.1 is driving me crazy.

11.1 is now dropping the signal completely for 0.5 to 1.0 seconds every 5 seconds to five minutes. Viewing the "signal strength" menu icon, all of the bars drop. This does not happen on any other channel.

This is very annoying, and 11.1 is my most watched channel.

How to research ? How to cure ?
PeninsulaMark is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-12-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SFischer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Posts: 2,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Getting over 100 channels, and only 11.1 is driving me crazy.

11.1 is now dropping the signal completely for 0.5 to 1.0 seconds every 5 seconds to five minutes. Viewing the "signal strength" menu icon, all of the bars drop. This does not happen on any other channel.

This is very annoying, and 11.1 is my most watched channel.

How to research ? How to cure ?
Looks like a clean path to KNTV. But directly over SFO.



Might be a reflection from CA 35. Do any of your neighbors have VHF-Hi antennas that you can ask?

The airplanes landing and taking off from SFO may be a problem.

http://www.flysfo.com/community-envi...light-tracking


Check KNTV in the middle of the night vs 4 PM (~ about the busiest time.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KNTV.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	663170  
PeninsulaMark likes this.
SFischer1 is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
PeninsulaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
Looks like a clean path to KNTV. But directly over SFO.



Might be a reflection from CA 35. Do any of your neighbors have VHF-Hi antennas that you can ask?

The airplanes landing and taking off from SFO may be a problem.

http://www.flysfo.com/community-envi...light-tracking


Check KNTV in the middle of the night vs 4 PM (~ about the busiest time.)

Thank you so much. CA35 ? Is that a highway ? Planes ? Fascinating idea. How to redirect planes for a few hours to test your idea ?

Now it's happening every 5-35 seconds. SFO must be very busy.
PeninsulaMark is online now  
Old 04-12-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SFischer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Posts: 2,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Thank you so much. CA35 ? Is that a highway ? Planes ? Fascinating idea. How to redirect planes for a few hours to test your idea ?

Now it's happening every 5-35 seconds. SFO must be very busy.

Right now might be the busy period for SFO. Compare this with 2 AM like I said that should be fewer planes.


CA 35 is on the ridge line to your West. You can see the CA 35 sign just poking out and the road along the ridge. Really what I am talking about are the mountains that "might" be causing multipath. When you were watching NTSC analog TV you might have seen ghosts appearing and your mind ignored them.


Now it's a perfect picture or nothing. Nada, zip, zero, nothing.


SHF
SFischer1 is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
PeninsulaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Unhappy 11.1 drops intermittently even with indoor flat antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Thank you so much. CA35 ? Is that a highway ? Planes ? Fascinating idea. How to redirect planes for a few hours to test your idea ?

Now it's happening every 5-35 seconds. SFO must be very busy.


MORE INFO: As troubleshooting:

1. Bypassed the CM amp, and used a barrel to go directly from the antenna to the TV. 11.1 dropped often.

2. Used a Winegard USB powered indoor antenna (Costco, $60) direct to the TV antenna in. Same problem, but less so. 6/10 bars on signal strength.

3. Auto-programmed the set ----> 94 channels. 11.1 still interrupts.

No other channel has this problem. HELP !
PeninsulaMark is online now  
Old 04-12-2015, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SFischer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Posts: 2,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
MORE INFO: As troubleshooting:

1. Bypassed the CM amp, and used a barrel to go directly from the antenna to the TV. 11.1 dropped often.

2. Used a Winegard USB powered indoor antenna (Costco, $60) direct to the TV antenna in. Same problem, but less so. 6/10 bars on signal strength.

3. Auto-programmed the set ----> 94 channels. 11.1 still interrupts.

No other channel has this problem. HELP !
Check 2 AM. if problem is less then ___ _ ____ ___ ______ ___ ___ ______

They fly close to you at low altitude and RF 12's wavelength is much larger thus only KNTV shows problems.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 04-12-2015 at 07:39 PM.
SFischer1 is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
PeninsulaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Question Sam ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
Check 2 AM. if problem is less then get a sam, the planes are in range.


They fly close to you at low altitude and RF 12's wavelength is much larger thus only KNTV shows problems.


SHF
Thanks, SHF. What is a "SAM" ?

An antenna from Sam's Club ? This antenna ? http://www.ko6yd.com/sam/

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 04-12-2015 at 06:49 PM.
PeninsulaMark is online now  
Old 04-12-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SFischer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Posts: 2,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Thanks, SHF. What is a "SAM" ?

An antenna from Sam's Club ? This antenna ? http://www.ko6yd.com/sam/
I should not have typed that, big brother has opened a file on me.

As you quoted me a file on you has also been opened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nani Mouse.PNG
Views:	440
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	663362  
SFischer1 is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SFischer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Posts: 2,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The requirements for flight tracking have become so high that my high powered W7 Laptop can no longer display the airplanes over head.

Thus putting the ability to report a noisily airplane out of the capability of most of us. Really

Keep your antenna system the same so you can check at ~ 2 AM. If KNTV is not as bad and than bad in the morning ~ 8 AM then it likely is airplanes. If ~ 4 PM really bad then for sure it's airplanes. Fix - move.

SFischer1 is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
PeninsulaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
The requirements for flight tracking have become so high that my high powered W7 Laptop can no longer display the airplanes over head.

Thus putting the ability to report a noisily airplane out of the capability of most of us. Really

Keep your antenna system the same so you can check at ~ 2 AM. If KNTV is not as bad and than bad in the morning ~ 8 AM then it likely is airplanes. If ~ 4 PM really bad then for sure it's airplanes. Fix - move.


Moving is not an option, unless you mean moving and/or rotating the antenna. There must be a simple cure. Why aren't other channels affected ? Certainty there's at least one other broadcasting antenna next to 11.1.

Would a new antenna help ?

To add TV to the cable would be $40 + $20 for the two additional converter boxes (three TVs).
PeninsulaMark is online now  
Old 04-12-2015, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SFischer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Posts: 2,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Moving is not an option, unless you mean moving and/or rotating the antenna. There must be a simple cure. Why aren't other channels affected ? Certainty there's at least one other broadcasting antenna next to 11.1.

Would a new antenna help ?

To add TV to the cable would be $40 + $20 for the two additional converter boxes (three TVs).
There are no stations near RF 12. KGO VC 7 RF 7 has much longer wavelength and there are none higher on VHF-Hi. So KNTV is unusual and the amount of metal in the planes and how they land may not affect other wavelengths. It's the matching of the path to Bruno and the aircraft landing pattern.

http://www.choisser.com/sfonair2.html

If logging the breaks matches the numbers of landings at SFO then perhaps a major move of the antenna might help. Or pointing away from the direction of KNTV and Sutro. The landing path is almost exact ally what I showed



Airplanes merge into the landing pattern South of you and land on two runways at the same time (Weather permitting.) One after another, at a rapid rate.

I have been watching aircraft here since we first landed on the Moon. I am not a pilot but taking off and landing at SFO and SJC many times I have learned where the planes fly. And what happens when a strong cold front is passing. Taking off to the South West from SFO you keep wondering if Mt. San Bruno would be hit. They looked at Bruno for the location of the antennas but the FCC Said NO! Thus Sutro.

If airplanes are confirmed then perhaps a VHF-Hi antenna pointed away from Sam Bruno might help with KNTV VC 11 RF 12. Then a UHF antenna pointed at Sutro could be added.

Note! The only allowed combination of antennas is One (1) VHF antenna and One (1) UHF antenna.

Multipath is one thing that NTSC analog signals were good with. A few ghosts, our minds subtract them. Picture breaking up or sound disappearing. We accepted it all. Now in the world of ATSC perfect or nothing we cannot.

Before you panic log the breakups for a few days and see if then match the busy times at SFO. Bring back your memory of analog KNTV on Bruno and what you saw before the antenna work on digital. It might be that lowering the VHF signal level might help. Chuck can help with that, I just am a mapping fool and very poor understanding multipath simpleton.

SHF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KNTV-1.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	663450  
PeninsulaMark likes this.
SFischer1 is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Senior Member
 
wintertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
KQED aspect ratio

I posted this question on the Comcast SFBA board a few days ago, but activity has really dropped off there and no one has responded. Also, right now I'm watching KQED live OTA, so I can justify posting the question here.

A friend who watched last week's episode of "Wolf Hall" on Comcast OnDemand mentioned that the aspect ratio was all screwy. I brought it up on OnDemand and saw what she meant: it had huge black bars top and bottom and the image area was stretched horizontally. It made the people look short and fat.

I've just been switching back and forth between KQED OTA and KQED on Comcast during tonight's broadcast of the second episode of "Wolf Hall" (which, btw, is excellent), and the program has the same problem on the live Comcast signal as it did on OnDemand. The OTA feed is full screen on my HDTV. (And, of course, bright and crisp, unlike the Comcast feed.) On Comcast, it's squished.

As it happens, I have an SD Comcast box, but I'm 95% sure that my friend's cable box is HD. But even in SD, shouldn't Comcast get the aspect ratio correct? Should we sic KQED on them?



wintertime is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Getting over 100 channels, and only 11.1 is driving me crazy.

11.1 is now dropping the signal completely for 0.5 to 1.0 seconds every 5 seconds to five minutes. Viewing the "signal strength" menu icon, all of the bars drop. This does not happen on any other channel.

This is very annoying, and 11.1 is my most watched channel.

How to research ? How to cure ?

It could be airplane problems but normally LOS signals don't drop out with airplane multipath because the main signal is so strong. Other stations would likely be affected too. Also airplane multipath normally last longer than a second. Keep an eye on this over a longer period of time and see if it changes. That could provide clues.

To me this sounds like it could be the signal breaking up with moving tree branches but you say you don't have trees. See if it's worse when the wind blows.

It also could be an electrical spike from a device switching on and off. That affects VHF more than UHF. I would expect that to affect channel 7 too.

It's not obvious exactly what the problem is.

There are ways to troubleshoot this but you don't have any of the tools necessary to do it, like a spectrum analyzer to view the signal or an aircraft receiver to listen on AM on VHF for noise problems.

Chuck
PeninsulaMark likes this.
Calaveras is online now  
Old 04-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
PeninsulaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
It could be airplane problems but normally LOS signals don't drop out with airplane multipath because the main signal is so strong. Other stations would likely be affected too. Also airplane multipath normally last longer than a second. Keep an eye on this over a longer period of time and see if it changes. That could provide clues.

To me this sounds like it could be the signal breaking up with moving tree branches but you say you don't have trees. See if it's worse when the wind blows.

It also could be an electrical spike from a device switching on and off. That affects VHF more than UHF. I would expect that to affect channel 7 too.

It's not obvious exactly what the problem is.

There are ways to troubleshoot this but you don't have any of the tools necessary to do it, like a spectrum analyzer to view the signal or an aircraft receiver to listen on AM on VHF for noise problems.

Chuck


May I borrow your spectrum analyzer ? As usual, the signal is fine this AM, Suspect by Noon it will repeatedly break up again. If this issue were planes, I should have the problem now.

One block away in the area the antenna is pointed, there's a ham operator with six antennas. Could his frequencies cause a complete loss in my audio and video ? How to research ?

8:38AM--- Ch 11.1 fine

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 04-13-2015 at 08:38 AM.
PeninsulaMark is online now  
Old 04-13-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
May I borrow your spectrum analyzer ? As usual, the signal is fine this AM, Suspect by Noon it will repeatedly break up again. If this issue were planes, I should have the problem now.
I'd have to drive down to Menlo Park.

Watch to see if it corresponds to when the wind starts blowing. The wind is really going to blow this afternoon through Tuesday so if this is the problem you should have an extended period of poor KNTV reception.

Just to ask again, if you stand where your antenna is can you see Mt. San Bruno?

Chuck
Calaveras is online now  
Old 04-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Member
 
kkpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC View Post

On another note, when K03HY shuts down temporarily. I can do a reading for KCSO 3 ? near Sacramento. (That one I have never seen here ... even before K03HY)
I'm planning to turn off K03HY-D on Saturday and turn on KTVJ-LP on RF channel 4. I'm moving K03HY-D to the Clay Jones building, but it will take longer than expected, since the tower on the Clay Jones building is going through some structural reinforcing currently.

Blessings,
Keith
kkpm is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
ADTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St Louis
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Larry, Chuck, and others,

I've tested several samples of the RCA 1450amps during the last two years. A quick summary is: NF ~4 db (VHF bands), 3.5 - 5 dB UHF; Gain - ~ 14 dB low VHF, ~ 13-14 dB high VHF, ~11.5-13 dB UHF, fairly robust in terms of not overloading. Late-arriving FM filter (~ 92MHz), filtering between 250 and 400 MHZ, old-cellular band filtering, and shielding are all there.

Someone mentioned the CEA red check mark. RCA is about the only one of the few program participants that has a retail store presence so it's the one most likely to be seen.

CEA 774B has the test criteria for indoor amplifier and amplified indoor antenna program certification. I was surprised at how aggressive the IMD testing requirements are in the specification. They are fairly stringent and, surprisingly, the RCA is the ONLY indoor-only amplifier that I've tested that has passed what I call the "worst-case" IMD test.

Other than a higher-than desirable noise figure, it's a fairly capable amp that isn't going to create new reception problems due to overloading if used indiscriminately (as are most indoor amps that are consumer-self-selected). Most Walmart stores carry it for around $17.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
ADTech is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Larry, Chuck, and others,

I've tested several samples of the RCA 1450amps during the last two years. A quick summary is: NF ~4 db (VHF bands), 3.5 - 5 dB UHF; Gain - ~ 14 dB low VHF, ~ 13-14 dB high VHF, ~11.5-13 dB UHF, fairly robust in terms of not overloading. Late-arriving FM filter (~ 92MHz), filtering between 250 and 400 MHZ, old-cellular band filtering, and shielding are all there.

Thanks for this! Sounds like it is best suited as a distribution amp if IP3 isn't too low.

Chuck
Calaveras is online now  
Old 04-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
PeninsulaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
I'd have to drive down to Menlo Park.

Watch to see if it corresponds to when the wind starts blowing. The wind is really going to blow this afternoon through Tuesday so if this is the problem you should have an extended period of poor KNTV reception.

Just to ask again, if you stand where your antenna is can you see Mt. San Bruno?

Chuck

I have acrophobia. Don't know what Mt. S.B. looks like from here. Good point on the wind. Will check later today.

Yes, drive down here ASAP, but the issue is not happening now. Are there no planes at SFO ?

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 04-13-2015 at 10:53 AM.
PeninsulaMark is online now  
Old 04-13-2015, 01:36 PM
Senior Member
 
PeninsulaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
I doubt that you'll be able to get either NBC channel from Berkeley with an indoor antenna. You'll need something on your roof to get either 12.1 or 49.2 as both are in San Jose.

Larry

Geeeez. I get 49.2 @ 17 db SNR.
PeninsulaMark is online now  
Old 04-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
PeninsulaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
There are no stations near RF 12. KGO VC 7 RF 7 has much longer wavelength and there are none higher on VHF-Hi. So KNTV is unusual and the amount of metal in the planes and how they land may not affect other wavelengths. It's the matching of the path to Bruno and the aircraft landing pattern.

http://www.choisser.com/sfonair2.html

If logging the breaks matches the numbers of landings at SFO then perhaps a major move of the antenna might help. Or pointing away from the direction of KNTV and Sutro. The landing path is almost exact ally what I showed



Airplanes merge into the landing pattern South of you and land on two runways at the same time (Weather permitting.) One after another, at a rapid rate.

I have been watching aircraft here since we first landed on the Moon. I am not a pilot but taking off and landing at SFO and SJC many times I have learned where the planes fly. And what happens when a strong cold front is passing. Taking off to the South West from SFO you keep wondering if Mt. San Bruno would be hit. They looked at Bruno for the location of the antennas but the FCC Said NO! Thus Sutro.

If airplanes are confirmed then perhaps a VHF-Hi antenna pointed away from Sam Bruno might help with KNTV VC 11 RF 12. Then a UHF antenna pointed at Sutro could be added.

Note! The only allowed combination of antennas is One (1) VHF antenna and One (1) UHF antenna.

Multipath is one thing that NTSC analog signals were good with. A few ghosts, our minds subtract them. Picture breaking up or sound disappearing. We accepted it all. Now in the world of ATSC perfect or nothing we cannot.

Before you panic log the breakups for a few days and see if then match the busy times at SFO. Bring back your memory of analog KNTV on Bruno and what you saw before the antenna work on digital. It might be that lowering the VHF signal level might help. Chuck can help with that, I just am a mapping fool and very poor understanding multipath simpleton.

SHF



FWTR (For whatever the reason), FWIW, today so far no problems. Haven't changed anything. 11.1 @ 33 db SNR and holding it. Mild breeze. Any other stations to sample ?
PeninsulaMark is online now  
Old 04-13-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SFischer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Posts: 2,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
...
WOW Quoting post #10 . San Francisco, CA - OTA

That's pre analog days. Larry was right in 04-05-2004, 01:17 AM

Well, I would need to dig very deep to call him on RF 12.1 being in San Jose. My imperfect memory thinks ATSC RF 12.1 came on after the move from Loma to San Bruno. 49.2 I have no idea VC or RF for back then (KTEH perhaps?).

SHF
SFischer1 is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SFischer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Posts: 2,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
FWTR (For whatever the reason), FWIW, today so far no problems. Haven't changed anything. 11.1 @ 33 db SNR and holding it. Mild breeze. Any other stations to sample ?
There may have been a wind shift to the South West so the airplanes are not landing on the same runway like I described.

Tomorrow and days after they will be back to landing passing you very low overhead which means longer periods of RF 12 breakup. I saw that possibility scanning the 10 PM news ~ 11:30 PM as I was about to go to sleep.

I agree with Chuck if the airplanes cross your path at large angles the breakups would be shorter and if they are higher also.

As they are flying low along your path the breakups may be longer than what Chuck remembers.

After my new furnace (Installed Upside Down) I checked KQEH VC 54.1 RF 50 with a table top antenna pointed to the South East. KQEH is to the North East. The South East direction was still the best direction but I started to see breakups. I watch for several days and finally realized the breakups matched the landings and takeoffs at SJC. I switched to 30.2 but my automatic scheduling program balked at the change. I finally realized that KQED Inc. was including the HD flag for every program on KQEH VC 54.1 RF 50.

I got out a very sharp stick and poked the giant KQED in the side. It took many weeks but they finally fixed the problem. Who says you cannot fight giants and win.

SHF
SFischer1 is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
FWTR (For whatever the reason), FWIW, today so far no problems. Haven't changed anything. 11.1 @ 33 db SNR and holding it. Mild breeze. Any other stations to sample ?
That tells me you have no multipath problems with KNTV. You wouldn't have SNR 33 dB (top notch number) and dropping out the next day because of multipath.

When things are stable I'd note at least a selection of stations and their SNRs. When the KNTV problem arises then I'd re-check the selection for any changes.

Chuck
Calaveras is online now  
Old 04-13-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Larry Kenney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
WOW Quoting post #10 . San Francisco, CA - OTA

That's pre analog days. Larry was right in 04-05-2004, 01:17 AM

Well, I would need to dig very deep to call him on RF 12.1 being in San Jose. My imperfect memory thinks ATSC RF 12.1 came on after the move from Loma to San Bruno. 49.2 I have no idea VC or RF for back then (KTEH perhaps?).

SHF
Mark... things change in 11 years! For your info, and as an update for Stephen, when I wrote that post in 2004 KNTV was transmitting with 8 kw on channel 12 from Loma Prieta Mountain. Their analog transmitter was also on Loma. They moved their transmitter to Mt. San Bruno later and increased their power to 103 kW, what it is today. KNTV has one of the highest powered VHF signals in the country!

I was able to receive KNTV from Loma here in San Francisco with my 10 element VHF yagi, despite the low power 55 miles away. If you didn't have cable or satellite, most people couldn't watch NBC programming after it moved from KRON 4 to KNTV 11, because they didn't have an antenna that could receive the station.

When KNTV was transmitting from Loma Prieta, they also had their programming on NBC-owned KSTS 48.2 (RF 49) from Mt. Allison. They dropped the KSTS feed when they moved to Mt. San Bruno.

Mark, you have a low signal from KSTS now because it's off the side of your antenna. Mt. Allison is east of Fremont.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Larry Kenney is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Larry Kenney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Larry, Chuck, and others,
I've tested several samples of the RCA 1450amps during the last two years. A quick summary is: NF ~4 db (VHF bands), 3.5 - 5 dB UHF; Gain - ~ 14 dB low VHF, ~ 13-14 dB high VHF, ~11.5-13 dB UHF, fairly robust in terms of not overloading. Late-arriving FM filter (~ 92MHz), filtering between 250 and 400 MHZ, old-cellular band filtering, and shielding are all there.
Thanks for providing the statistics for the RCA 1450.

After observing the operation of the amp for a few days, it has definitely helped increase signal strength for many of the more distant stations, but it also has decreased the signal quality for many of the stations. On the HD Home Run receiver which shows both signal strength and signal quality, the amp has increased signal strength, but has decreased signal quality. For example, KMAX 31 (RF 21) from Walnut Grove used to average a signal strength of 55 to 60 and a signal quality of 60 to 65. Now, with the amp in line, the signal strength has gone up to 70 to 75, but the signal quality has dropped to 57. It's similar for most other stations.

Can any of you, Ben, Chuck, Ron-DR1394, ADTech, etc., explain why this has occurred? I would think that a stronger signal would give me better signal quality as well, but that's not the case.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Larry Kenney is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Larry Kenney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post
KQED aspect ratio
A friend who watched last week's episode of "Wolf Hall" on Comcast OnDemand mentioned that the aspect ratio was all screwy. I brought it up on OnDemand and saw what she meant: it had huge black bars top and bottom and the image area was stretched horizontally. It made the people look short and fat.... shouldn't Comcast get the aspect ratio correct? Should we sic KQED on them?
I've noticed that no one has responded to you, Wintertime. That's probably due to the fact that one one has an answer for you. There are many instances now where the aspect ratio is set improperly at the station. What Comcast does with the picture it gets, I don't know. Pictures that should be 4:3 are being stretched to 16:9, pictures that should be 16:9 are being squeezed to 4:3, and a couple of channels are changing the height as well.

There should be an aspect ratio adjustment on your receiver. It could be labeled "Wide", "Size", "<-->" or something else on your remote and with it you can adjust the width and height of the picture very easily. I used to set mine to "Set by station" so that it would change automatically, but there are so many signals that are wrong now, this automatic feature has become pretty useless.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Larry Kenney is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
Can any of you, Ben, Chuck, Ron-DR1394, ADTech, etc., explain why this has occurred? I would think that a stronger signal would give me better signal quality as well, but that's not the case.

Larry

This is a sign of amplifier overload caused by 3rd order intermodulation products.

Chuck
Calaveras is online now  
Old 04-13-2015, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
wintertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
I've noticed that no one has responded to you, Wintertime. That's probably due to the fact that one one has an answer for you. There are many instances now where the aspect ratio is set improperly at the station. What Comcast does with the picture it gets, I don't know. Pictures that should be 4:3 are being stretched to 16:9, pictures that should be 16:9 are being squeezed to 4:3, and a couple of channels are changing the height as well.

There should be an aspect ratio adjustment on your receiver. It could be labeled "Wide", "Size", "<-->" or something else on your remote and with it you can adjust the width and height of the picture very easily. I used to set mine to "Set by station" so that it would change automatically, but there are so many signals that are wrong now, this automatic feature has become pretty useless.

Larry
Hi, Larry. Oops, I guess I don't post here often enough for people to remember my name. Sorry!

Anyway, I tried playing around with the AR settings on my TV, but none of them fixed the problem. Guess I'll tell my friend to write to KQED and see if they can get Comcast to fix it.


Thanks,
Patty
wintertime is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 193
So, 2.3 (Movies!) is now back on the air, as of 4:00 pm today. However, the 4:3 movie they are showing is contained within black bars on all four sides. The advertisement they showed, was shown in 16:9 WITHIN the 4:3 area described above. That resulted in the 16:9 ad being shown with larger bars top and bottom, retaining the same size side bars displayed during the 4:3 movie.

Going to hope that they are just working it out, and things will get better. If not, they will be getting another "inquiry" as to what the h-e-double-chop-sticks they are thinking?!

Edit: the next ad was displayed properly within the 16:9 area, no side bars! ... there is hope!

Further edit: Tonight, they are showing Underworld USA. It's 1.85-1 OAR and is being shown in the 16:9 box, as it should be. This bodes well for the future, and further OAR showings!

One more edit: And a day later, Three Coins in the Fountain, a 2.55-1 aspect ratio film is being shown in what appears to be 16:9 format. Filling the screen top and bottom but truncating the sides. Better than nothing, but would prefer seeing the entire frame, even is it is height restricted.

Last edited by RayGuy; 04-14-2015 at 01:24 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off