San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 413 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 60Likes
post #12361 of 12366 Old Today, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I'm deep enough into G section that there aren't many heavy trees directly to my south, just a lot of (mostly) single story homes. I'll definitely look into antennas which are both UHF and VHF capable. I usually watch channel 7 news, so it's a bummer to hear that it's spotty. Thanks for the advice!
Here's your TV Fool report for your street intersection:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0f9f9e2a445

There's a large area around this intersection where the predicted signal strengths are equal.

Signals are mostly weak but not impossible. Mine are weaker. It will require a preamp and a good outdoor antenna that's high enough to clear the trees. You'll need a notch filter for KRCB on channel 23 because it'll overload any preamp.

I wouldn't consider any antenna smaller than the Winegard HD7698P or the AntennaCraft HBU55. A good preamp would be the Clearstream Juice.

Cost:

HD7698P - $125
Preamp - $80
Notch Filter - $125
Coax, Mast, Mounting, etc - ???

Since all the San Francisco stations are 2 edge, I can almost guarantee you that you'll receive all the stations but not 100%. There'll be conditions where the stations won't come in. There's no way to know without trying it.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12362 of 12366 Old Today, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Interesting comment about your neighbor's trees. So did the conversation go something like, "Good morning Earl. Hey listen, those two trees of yours are really cocking up my TV reception. Can I pay to have them trimmed for you?" If so, at what point do buying fancy antennas, mounts, trimming neighbors trees etc outweigh the cost of just staying with cable and having tons more programming to watch? Hmmm

I'm deep enough into G section that there aren't many heavy trees directly to my south, just a lot of (mostly) single story homes. I'll definitely look into antennas which are both UHF and VHF capable. I usually watch channel 7 news, so it's a bummer to hear that it's spotty. Thanks for the advice!
Actually, I didn't know what the issue was at the time. My neighbor just trimmed his trees because he wanted to. After he was done, I saw a marked improvement in reception. With a VHF antenna channel 7 and 11 will not be spotty at all. There is a police officer in the G section who has a humungous antenna on his house, really really tall mast. I recall him saying that his reception was excellent. That was a number of years ago. I'm not sure that you would need all that humungous an antenna, just a good one. I don't know that you need as much height as he has either. I've got a 10' mast, or so, attached to the chimney of my single story home and it works just fine, except for the VHF stuff that is my own fault because I don't have a VHF rated antenna.

Bobby 

post #12363 of 12366 Unread Today, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
There is a police officer in the G section who has a humungous antenna on his house, really really tall mast. I recall him saying that his reception was excellent. That was a number of years ago. I'm not sure that you would need all that humungous an antenna, just a good one.

Is this current or a long time ago? I know a retired CHP officer and ham operator who lived in the Santa Rosa area with a ham tower and high TV antennas but this was back in the early 80's. He said his TV reception was fine. A "humungous" antenna is probably a ham antenna and not a TV antenna.

Chuck
post #12364 of 12366 Unread Today, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Ktvj

Has anyone noticed a reception issue with KTVJ today? I've attached the image from yesterday showing the nominal (yellow) and enhanced (magenta) signals for KFTY and KTVJ. I added two traces from today, blue trace 11:40 am and green trace 2 pm. KFTY appears to be a little above nominal but KTVJ by 2 pm is about 12 dB weaker at the low end and 20 dB weaker in the middle. This is not right and I don't think it's just conditions. The KTVJ power slope is much steeper than yesterday. I'll keep an eye on it just in case I'm getting fooled.

Edit: I guess it was just conditions as the signal has recovered its shape and much of its strength but still below the last 3 days. The path to Mt. Tam must be much different than the path to Mt. St. Helena.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KTVJ Problem.gif
Views:	8
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	678073  

Last edited by Calaveras; Today at 03:36 PM.
post #12365 of 12366 Unread Today, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Not "bad", but a substantial difference in audio quality from 11.1. They both have a lack of lower mid-range, lack of depth, lack of richness. . . . like someone put a thick blanket over the speaker output.
Might just "business as usual" with a lot of compression
and whatnot, because "Dancing With The Stars" audio
last night was OK, understandable, but not great, which
may be what you're noting...could be "crisper", right?

I'm always shocked at all broadcast audio after watching
one of my Blu-Rays with the DTS Master Audio, set so
normal conversation in the movie is like normal
conversation in the room. Then when the motorcycles
or other loud vehicles start rumbling in the movie, the
dinosaurs start stomping around, whatever, it is LOUD,
and beyond that, it hits you in the chest, and rattles the
windows and moves the floor, even more so than the
most current laughable "theater experiences".

Then going back to broadcast audio, running through
the same sound system, it sounds all muffled and soft.
I'm not sure if the FCC still has the dynamic range rules
they used to have, sometimes you get a little boom out
of broadcast, but nothing like a Blu-Ray.

--
maxreactance
post #12366 of 12366 Unread Today, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Is this current or a long time ago? I know a retired CHP officer and ham operator who lived in the Santa Rosa area with a ham tower and high TV antennas but this was back in the early 80's. He said his TV reception was fine. A "humungous" antenna is probably a ham antenna and not a TV antenna.

Chuck
Definitely not the same person. This was in the last 5 or 6 years. The antenna wasn't really all that humungous, just a super-super fringe variety. I know what a ham rig looks like. I saw some web stuff about it and went to see the system. Definitely TV and very tall, complete with a lot of guying. Very unusual look for this area....

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page