San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 414 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 60Likes
post #12391 of 12399 Unread Yesterday, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
At 6:40 pm I just found K03HY back on the air and KTVJ 12 gone. Keith must be working up at the Mt. Tam site.

Larry

Sure enough. KCSO is gone again. I wonder what's going on?

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12392 of 12399 Unread Today, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Sure enough. KCSO is gone again. I wonder what's going on?
Chuck
At 11 o'clock tonight channel 3 was still on and 4 was off. Now at 12:20 am neither station is on the air. We'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #12393 of 12399 Unread Today, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulamI View Post
Just assembled my Winegard, big sucker, hope to try it tomorrow. Is there a rule of thumb on how long a coax cable can be before amplification is necessary? And if one type of coax can go longer than another how do I tell what type I have?

Too muddy to get up the hill to my cabin today so I am playing with the new Winegard antenna at my house in Novato. Depending where I point it I'm pulling in stations from Santa Rosa, Walnut Grove, San Jose and of course Sutro. Basically what I am learning is that what I get from one area is pretty much available on another station from another area (major network wise). I also get some channels from a transmitter but not others, which are putting out a weaker signal I assume.

Questions: Do I point the antenna in the direction it shows on the circle of the TV Fool report (assuming the x y axis of that report is roughly equal to what google maps shows as NSEW)? Second, if there is a hill or tree in the direction I want to point should I aim slightly around that obstacle?

I get about 45 channels when I point it south, about 20 pointed east and 10 north. I'm really just killing time and learning a little bit until I can try it at the cabin (tomorrow hopefully), and if I get one or two channels there I will consider it a success.

Thanks for the replies ^^

Paul
post #12394 of 12399 Unread Today, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Questions: Do I point the antenna in the direction it shows on the circle of the TV Fool report (assuming the x y axis of that report is roughly equal to what google maps shows as NSEW)? Second, if there is a hill or tree in the direction I want to point should I aim slightly around that obstacle?

You should point in the direction given by your TV Fool report, table or the compass.

Signals do not go around hills or trees. It would be nice if they did. They refract over the top, if they can.

Chuck
post #12395 of 12399 Unread Today, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Too muddy to get up the hill to my cabin today so I am playing with the new Winegard antenna at my house in Novato.
Questions: Do I point the antenna in the direction it shows on the circle of the TV Fool report
Thanks for the replies ^^

Paul
What I would do is set your tv to "channel 7", then point to San Francisco until it comes in best, ..... Then do a "scan"

Usually if your antenna does not have a view of .. "Clear sky" without shade & trees,..... UHF reception is going to be a real challenge.
In that case, "probing" for signal is a last chance.
If the ground is clear of brush, with better views of the sky, .... a lower elevation possibly.
Let us know what happens,
Ben
post #12396 of 12399 Unread Today, 05:01 PM

If I was able to get the antenna up above the trees at the cabin it would be 200 ft. of coax just to get back to the ground but it would give me a pretty clear sight in a couple of directions (unfortunately not south). Could the degradation from the coax length be overcome?

Thanks Chuck
post #12397 of 12399 Unread Today, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
If I was able to get the antenna up above the trees at the cabin it would be 200 ft. of coax just to get back to the ground but it would give me a pretty clear sight in a couple of directions (unfortunately not south). Could the degradation from the coax length be overcome?

Thanks Chuck
The best location "is the location" with nothing in front of the UHF yagi elements (very small ones) for 100+ feet, and the elements see blue sky.
post #12398 of 12399 Unread Today, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Chuck
Yes, it can be. Let's say you needed 300' of RG-11 which is 3.4 dB loss per 100' at channel 51. You'd also want to have a distribution amp such as the CM341x series in the house because it has a lower noise figure than the TV.

I have a rule of thumb to use for determining the required preamp gain to not degrade the preamp noise figure by much. It is:

Coax Loss + First amp Noise Figure + 8 dB

In this case that would be 10.2 + 2.5 + 8 = 20.7 dB. It's no problem getting a preamp with that amount of gain.

I have a total of 575' of coax to my UHF antennas. 480' is low loss CATV hardline with 1.8 dB loss/100' at channel 51, 75' of RG-11 and 20' of RG-6. The total loss is 15 dB. I have a second set of UHF antennas on a 2nd tower and that coax run is 685' and it still works fine with a Tin Lee 30 dB gain preamp.

It's not the coax loss so much that's the problem, it's getting the antenna mounted on the top of a tree. Even if you were to do that, aren't you on the wrong side of Mt. Tam? You should run your TV Fool report for the proposed location using the height above the trees.

Chuck
post #12399 of 12399 Unread Today, 08:09 PM

Thanks Ben and Chuck. I have a monkey for a neighbor. But yes, Tam is smack dab between me and SF, along with my own hillside and the worst of the trees. I guess I'm hoping for something from the east or north, or from the Tam transmitter. Even then I have Mt. Burdell to the north and Big Rock ridge to the east, albeit a bit further away and less substantial than Tam.

I just loaded up the new antenna to out there tomorrow, it's longer than my truck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0807141059.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	688273  

Last edited by PaulamI; Today at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception