San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 415 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 61Likes
post #12421 of 12445 Unread 04-27-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post
Thanks, Ron. Any idea why Comcast letterboxes the image on the SD feed? Or maybe that's happening at KQED? I didn't check this week, but I seem to remember a couple of days ago checking the OTA signals and seeing 54.2 letterboxed.
Patty, they have to letterbox any HD programs that they rebroadcast, unless they crop the picture, because their SD programs are all in 4:3 AR. I don't know why they don't use 16:9 AR 480p for down-converted HD programming, which is certainly a legal ATSC format, instead of sticking with 4:3 AR all the time. Perhaps it has to do with lowest-common-denominator DTV compatibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12422 of 12445 Unread 04-27-2015, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
Patty, they have to letterbox any HD programs that they rebroadcast, unless they crop the picture, because their SD programs are all in 4:3 AR. I don't know why they don't use 16:9 AR 480p for down-converted HD programming, which is certainly a legal ATSC format, instead of sticking with 4:3 AR all the time. Perhaps it has to do with lowest-common-denominator DTV compatibility.
I suffered through KQED.Inc. experiments switching formats on the fly prior to the Analog NTSC Shutdown. They tried if I remember correctly on both RF 30 and RF 50.

It did not work at all IMHO and they learned their lesson quite well as when they made the switch in 2008 they have never tried again.

Now if you are talking about what Cozi is sending, the answer is that the amount of 16:9 programming is small compared with the amount of 4:3 programming still.

Spoiler!

SHF

EDIT: BTW, I was the person responsible for getting KQED,Inc. to stop labeling ALL programs on KQEH 30.2 as "HD" when in face not a single one was. 54.1 was correct all the time.

Last edited by SFischer1; 04-27-2015 at 10:31 PM.
post #12423 of 12445 Unread 04-28-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post
Anyone else who has a recommendation, please pass it along. There don't seem to be many models available.
I recommend this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MyGoTV-7...-/360933953815

I've had mine for a few years now. I don't use it a lot but it works well. The tuner is equivalent to the tuner in my Sony TV, TiVo, etc. It has a good channel scanning system including manual add a channel. It also has direct RF entry. It has an adapter to connect an external antenna. The cons are only about 1 hour of battery life, poor built-in antenna, and no replacement batteries. Despite that the battery still seems to be fine after 3 years or more.

Chuck
post #12424 of 12445 Unread 04-29-2015, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Duke And Rat on [HDTV-in-SFbay] complained about MeTV Audio today.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...messages/30509

I noted his at 11:20 in "The Streets of San Francisco" from Sunday.

Except the program started from the beginning. At soon as I saw WGN it was clear someone pushed the wrong button.

SHF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-04-27-01h02m48s84.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	692410  
post #12425 of 12445 Unread 04-29-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

KTVU VC 2 RF 44 and RF 48 "Movies!" Listings

KTVU VC 2 RF 44 and RF 48 "Movies!" Listings

I have just been informed that the listings for the "Movies!" have been added to Schedules Direct, Zap2It and other programs listings provided by Tribune Media Services.

I am unable to confirm or deny if TitanTV have added "Movies!" as I threw up all my cookies a week ago and cannot build a new one.

TVGuide I stopped checking months age as they were a waste of time.

----------------------------

KTVU is doing a bad thing which might cause problems with some ATSC receivers.

I had to manually change the name of the third stream on my HDHR tuner.

Code:
SCANNING: 677000000 (us-bcast:48)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=93 snq=76 seq=100)
TSID: 0x0141
PROGRAM 3: 2.1 KTVU-HD
PROGRAM 4: 2.2 KTVU-SD
PROGRAM 5: 2.3 KTVU-SD
Code:
SCANNING: 653000000 (us-bcast:44)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=100 snq=90 seq=100)
TSID: 0x0141
PROGRAM 3: 2.1 KTVU-HD
PROGRAM 4: 2.2 KTVU-SD
PROGRAM 5: 2.3 KTVU-SD
SHF
post #12426 of 12445 Unread 04-30-2015, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
I turned off KTVJ and K03HY-D
Blessings,
Keith
Updates on construction ? .. this weekend ? Both stations off air.
post #12427 of 12445 Unread 04-30-2015, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I switched back on K03HY-D. The transmitter tripped off because I left the adaptive equalization in continuous. That was a lesson to me.

Blessings,
Keith
post #12428 of 12445 Unread 04-30-2015, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
I switched back on K03HY-D. The transmitter tripped off because I left the adaptive equalization in continuous. That was a lesson to me.

Blessings,
Keith
That was quick
post #12429 of 12445 Unread 05-01-2015, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
Good point, TPeterson, perhaps some (a lot of?) people who watch KQED's SD feed are doing so on an older 4:3 TV.

And Calaveras, thanks for the portable DTV recommendation.

Patty
post #12430 of 12445 Unread 05-02-2015, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Here are a few odds and ends...

K03HY is now back to it's full 9 sub-channels. 3-9 is a new audio only channel which is yet to be programmed.

It was nice to see some stronger than normal stations coming in tonight. All six stations that I get part of the time from Walnut Grove - 3, 6, 10, 13, 31 and 58 - were all solid tonight! Signals were also up from the North Bay and South Bay stations. Both 1 and 27 were solid.

For those who have noticed that there's no guide information on any of the KGO sub-channels, it's going to be worked on later today (Saturday). The guide builder quit working.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #12431 of 12445 Unread 05-02-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thumbs down More KNTV stunts?

I just recently realized that the recording I made on Wednesday of "Chicago PD" was from the CoziTV subchannel! And it was evidently delayed some minutes from its scheduled time so that the recording quit before the end of the program. Presumably, the subchannel switch, but not the time change, was noted in Zap2It, since my DVR program is set to prefer 11.1 over 11.2. Anyone else encounter this?
post #12432 of 12445 Unread 05-02-2015, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is KTVU still launching Buzzr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
I noticed this evening that KTVU has added a 2.3 sub-channel. They're showing a Robert Redford movie as of midnight. The channel is labeled 480i, 4:3, but everyone is skinny, so it has to be stretched to 16:9 to look right. Maybe they'll make the appropriate adjustment to give us the correct aspect ratio once they get the channel settled in.

According to what I've read, Fox Television Stations has acquired the rights to new multicast network called "Buzzr TV" from Fremantle Media and Debmar-Mercury and is supposed to showcase Fremantle Media’s library of game show content, including classic shows like Family Feud, the original Let's Make A Deal, To Tell The Truth, Password, Match Game, Beat The Clock, What's My Line?, Blockbusters, Card Sharks, and more. A Robert Redford movie certainly isn't a game show, so we'll have to watch to see what's ahead.

Larry
Not that I expect to receive the channel here in the valley, but I recently read that Buzzr, which was slated to be a new subchannel for KTVU, is now missing from the list of markets that Fremantle Media and Debmar-Mercury had made agreements with. Is Movies! just temporary until Buzzr launches, or is something else in the works? Would be great to get an update if anyone knows, as I'd love to get Buzzr here and if it's launching in San Francisco, I have friends in the bay area I would be happy to stay with just to watch it
post #12433 of 12445 Unread 05-02-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crauen View Post
Not that I expect to receive the channel here in the valley, but I recently read that Buzzr, which was slated to be a new subchannel for KTVU, is now missing from the list of markets that Fremantle Media and Debmar-Mercury had made agreements with. Is Movies! just temporary until Buzzr launches, or is something else in the works? Would be great to get an update if anyone knows, as I'd love to get Buzzr here and if it's launching in San Francisco, I have friends in the bay area I would be happy to stay with just to watch it
FWIW KTVU has two (2) sub channels with the same name (KTVU-SD) which I noted when posting that "Movies!" listings are now available from Tribune Media Services.

The time I tried to get listings added to KTNC the sub-channels disappeared soon after.

So all that can be said now is that "Movies!" is on KTVU 2.3.

TitanTV has: "KTVU-DT3 MOVIES!" listings.

As started before Zap2It and Schedules Direct have "Movies!" but not the name.

It's like "whack a mole" they pop up and down and it is hard to predict.

ThisTV was one of the two sub-channels on KTNC that disappeared, Retro TV reappeared on KAXT,

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 05-02-2015 at 07:47 PM.
post #12434 of 12445 Unread 05-03-2015, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is Movies! just temporary until Buzzr launches, or is something else in the works?
I also heard about the "Buzzr" coming to the FOX O&O's, so I was surprised to see "Movies!" show up on 2.3.

I have no idea what their future plans are. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Maybe a station up in your area will pick up "Buzzr", too.

Larry

Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #12435 of 12445 Unread 05-03-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Buzzr is not supposed to light up on Fox until Summer.... Maybe they will add a .4 channel.

Bobby 

post #12436 of 12445 Unread 05-03-2015, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
FWIW KTVU has two (2) sub channels with the same name (KTVU-SD) which I noted when posting that "Movies!" listings are now available from Tribune Media Services.

The time I tried to get listings added to KTNC the sub-channels disappeared soon after.

So all that can be said now is that "Movies!" is on KTVU 2.3.

TitanTV has: "KTVU-DT3 MOVIES!" listings.

As started before Zap2It and Schedules Direct have "Movies!" but not the name.

It's like "whack a mole" they pop up and down and it is hard to predict.

ThisTV was one of the two sub-channels on KTNC that disappeared, Retro TV reappeared on KAXT,

SHF
Noticed the 2.3 channel appearing last week.

That same KTVU-SD name is messing up my TV tuner source program as its combining both channels into one, hopefully they can come up with a unique identifier for it.

One of my TVs picks it up as KTVU-SD but when I pop up the EPG display, it shows KTVU-SD2 and it is just blank listings for the whole day.

I did notice Windows Media Center by itself does pick up the KTVU-DT3 listings, usually I find it is the last to pick up a new channel.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 05-03-2015 at 08:25 AM.
post #12437 of 12445 Unread 05-04-2015, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Buzzr is not supposed to light up on Fox until Summer.... Maybe they will add a .4 channel.
June 1st from what I've read, has there been a delay?
post #12438 of 12445 Unread 05-04-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
June 1st from what I've read, has there been a delay?
June 1 was to be the original date. It would seem that, since Fox has acquired the rights to televise it, the date is Summer....

http://www.fremantlemedia.com/news/n...r-Mercury.aspx

Bobby 

post #12439 of 12445 Unread Yesterday, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Those of you having a problem with KTVU's 2.2 and 2.3 being named the same might want to contact the station and let them know about it. They probably don't know that it's causing a problem. Apparently it's only messing up specific tuners.

Larry

post #12440 of 12445 Unread Yesterday, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Those of you having a problem with KTVU's 2.2 and 2.3 being named the same might want to contact the station and let them know about it. They probably don't know that it's causing a problem. Apparently it's only messing up specific tuners.

Larry
Six years since the transition and the TV stations still can't get this stuff right. Equally frustrating is that the TV manufacturers can't write decent software to handle all the virtual/real channel situations out here in the real world. They also can't include useful diagnostic information for people trying to troubleshoot reception problems.

Chuck
post #12441 of 12445 Unread Yesterday, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

KMMC has been taken off the air because their 2nd harmonic is interfering with an FAA radar. They hope to get it fixed within 3 weeks.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...&fac_num=30977

This would be a rare chance for Bay Area people to see if you can ever receive KTXL.

Chuck
post #12442 of 12445 Unread Yesterday, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I figured something was wrong at KMMC 40. It's been off the air for several days. They've had no PSIP info for over a month. I've been picking it up on 40.3.

I checked the Walnut Grove channels and KTXL is down below the cliff edge at 12 dB SNR along with 3 and 13 today at 13 dB. All of the signals seem to be down, though, as 6 is only 16dB, 10 is 18 dB and 31 and 58 are varying between 19 and 20 dB. I'll watch 40 to see if I catch it later on. I used to get the station well when it was on channel 55.

Larry

post #12443 of 12445 Unread Yesterday, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Kmmc-ld

After receiving a call from an fcc engineer, tests were conducted and it was determined that station kmmc-ld's second harmonic is interfering with local faa radar. The station was taken silent until the problem can be repaired. Efforts to fix the transmitter are ongoing. If this is unsuccessful, then the licensee will order a harmonic filter to resolve the issue. The licensee expects that the repair will likely take approximately 3 weeks.
post #12444 of 12445 Unread Today, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
After seeing the location of your cabin, which is immensely beautiful, my only thought was to put your neighborhood monkey to work and get the antenna waaaaay up high in one of those trees. With all that greenery around, I'm surprised that you got KCRB! Since you got it with the antenna down low, there is hope!

Larry
I'm getting KCRB reliably with the Winegard antenna on the roof of my cabin. Good enough for me. I've been perusing Craigslist for a cheap small LCD TV. Couple of questions: will 4:3 aspect ratio suffice? What tuner do I need, ATSC, NTSB, QAM?
post #12445 of 12445 Unread Today, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

KCRB is a digital station, you need ATSC.... They also transmit an HD picture, you'd do better to have a 16:9 aspect ratio...

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception