San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 418 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2015, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Larry Kenney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC View Post
Ok, checked it, and KEMO stopped working.
Put the tuner in "antenna mode", and I could see both towers, but sutro was more stable. But the tuner would not lock on to it in "antenna mode"
Something that has never happened before.

It only works if I do a full re-scan.

The signal is below average to weak, but more stable. Not bouncy like a tidal wave.
It works best with the antenna 90 degrees away from before. (The old tower)
That is pointed west of San Bruno Mtn. (Towards the ocean)
Weird.
What do you mean by "KEMO stopped working"?
What other modes do you have besides "antenna mode"? It's interesting that you had to do a full re-scan and that you're getting the Sutro signal from a point west of Mt. San Bruno. Sometimes things just don't make sense.

Here's the reading I get on my HD Home Run receiver:
SCANNING: 581000000 (us-bcast:32)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=100 snq=100 seq=100)
TSID: 0x01A7
PROGRAM 3: 50.1 KEMO-HD
PROGRAM 4: 50.2 KEMO-DT

Can't get any better than that!

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Larry Kenney is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-18-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,847
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
That's a great picture, Chuck! You did a great job of putting all of the individual photos together into one.

Larry
I can't take any credit. It's a function built into Photoshop.

Chuck
Calaveras is offline  
Old 05-18-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,847
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Obviously the new KEMO DTS is on the air but they have not filed for a License to Cover. Normally new stations file the same day they start transmitting. They should make it official soon.

Chuck
Calaveras is offline  
Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
888CALLFCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
What do you mean by "KEMO stopped working"?
Larry
It says "No program", when you enter that channel. It crashed ... with the transmitter swap .... (plenty of signal.)
So I re-scan it. And then it works again.

I do not think the tuner jumps back & forth between the transmitters. They must have some hidden lock code or something.

When I have time I'll check the analyzer on that one, and see what's happening with both signal sources.
888CALLFCC is offline  
Old 05-19-2015, 08:52 AM
Member
 
kkpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
What do you mean by "KEMO stopped working"?
What other modes do you have besides "antenna mode"? It's interesting that you had to do a full re-scan and that you're getting the Sutro signal from a point west of Mt. San Bruno. Sometimes things just don't make sense.

Here's the reading I get on my HD Home Run receiver:
SCANNING: 581000000 (us-bcast:32)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=100 snq=100 seq=100)
TSID: 0x01A7
PROGRAM 3: 50.1 KEMO-HD
PROGRAM 4: 50.2 KEMO-DT

Can't get any better than that!

Larry
Hi Guys,

I'm gearing up to construct San Jose 45 (RF channel 2) K02QX-D on Friday. The transmitter is arriving this week, and I have the tower climber and help scheduled for Friday. We'll be constructing atop Mt. Chual which is adjacent to Mt. Loma Prieta. If we don't get it all constructed by Friday, then I'll try and finish soon after that. Say a prayer!

I was putting together the custom antennas yesterday at home yesterday to make sure it went together properly. Each antenna is actually two Kathrein-Scala CA-2 antennas put on a single boom to provide circular polarization.

Blessings,
Keith
kkpm is offline  
Old 05-19-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,847
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm gearing up to construct San Jose 45 (RF channel 2) K02QX-D on Friday. The transmitter is arriving this week, and I have the tower climber and help scheduled for Friday. We'll be constructing atop Mt. Chual which is adjacent to Mt. Loma Prieta. If we don't get it all constructed by Friday, then I'll try and finish soon after that. Say a prayer!

I was putting together the custom antennas yesterday at home yesterday to make sure it went together properly. Each antenna is actually two Kathrein-Scala CA-2 antennas put on a single boom to provide circular polarization.

Blessings,
Keith
This will be very interesting as I have no experience since the transition with any DTV signals from that location. I used to see KKPX on 65 in the analog days and the signal wasn't very good. TV Fool says K02QX should dB 13 dB stronger than KFTY. If so it should be easy to receive as I can put KFTY in a 20 dB null when pointed down there. As you can see in the image I posted above I have a pretty good shot to Loma Prieta/Chual on this end. All the terrain is the Mt. Hamilton range.

Good luck,

Chuck
Calaveras is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 02:38 AM
Member
 
kamen555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All TV signals are less than 50% now, I'm getting no picture. This is a link to my TVFool analysis. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f04ee65eb6d0

My window is facing West. I'm using indoor antenna Mohu Leaf. I'm assuming some new tall buildings are blocking the signals? This is a recent problem.
kamen555 is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,847
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Who knows exactly what's going on but if all was fine before and now you receive no stations then there has been a failure in the antenna or TV. Check the cable to the TV or try another antenna. A paperclip would work with your signals.

Chuck

Last edited by Calaveras; 05-20-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Calaveras is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,847
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I just noticed that Estrella TV is going to start up on KQCA on June 1. KTNC has Estrella Sacramento on 42.2. Does this mean that KTNC is going to change programming?

Chuck

Edit: I see that Larry posted the same thing over on the Sacramento thread.

Last edited by Calaveras; 05-20-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Calaveras is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
deltaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: solano county
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamen555 View Post
All TV signals are less than 50% now, I'm getting no picture. This is a link to my TVFool analysis. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f04ee65eb6d0

My window is facing West. I'm using indoor antenna Mohu Leaf. I'm assuming some new tall buildings are blocking the signals? This is a recent problem.
How long has the Leaf been working fine? Where are you using the Leaf? Is it connected with an extension cable, or is it 6 feet or so away from the antenna input? In one room here, a Leaf worked just fine for about 5 months, then I started seeing A/V dropouts. Changing the antenna height/location/aim was required to receive certain channels. This is often true with indoor antennas.
deltaguy is offline  
Old 05-22-2015, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Larry Kenney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I see no sign of K02QX from San Jose here in San Francisco so far.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Larry Kenney is online now  
Old 05-23-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,847
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
I see no sign of K02QX from San Jose here in San Francisco so far.

Larry

It's not on yet. You know how antenna projects go. Make your best time estimate and then double it.

Is KEMO DTS2 still on? There's been no License to Cover filing yet.

Chuck
Calaveras is offline  
Old 05-23-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Larry Kenney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Apparently Keith will have to go back to finish the channel 2 installation down in San Jose.

Yes, KEMO 50.1 and 50.2 are now continuously on the air from Sutro Tower.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Larry Kenney is online now  
Old 05-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Member
 
kkpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We installed the antennas for K02QX-D San Jose RF channel 2 yesterday; however, I ran into a couple snags with the transmitter. It had a connector I never heard of called L27, and I couldn't upgrade FPGA code in the exciter to enable PSIP editing. Also, I ran out of half inch feedlinefor the receive antenna. I was going to instead run 3/8 inch LMR-400 but thought that since I have to go back I might as well get some LDF4-50 1/2 feed line.

Blessings,
Keith
kkpm is offline  
Old 05-23-2015, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,847
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
We installed the antennas for K02QX-D San Jose RF channel 2 yesterday; however, I ran into a couple snags with the transmitter. It had a connector I never heard of called L27, and I couldn't upgrade FPGA code in the exciter to enable PSIP editing. Also, I ran out of half inch feedlinefor the receive antenna. I was going to instead run 3/8 inch LMR-400 but thought that since I have to go back I might as well get some LDF4-50 1/2 feed line.

Blessings,
Keith

Looks like a Chinese connector. Even Pasternack doesn't sell them. I hope you don't have to order an adapter from China. Maybe you can swap out the connector on the transmitter for an N connector.

Chuck
Calaveras is offline  
Old 05-24-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,847
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 155
KOTR Tidbit

While playing around this morning with antennas I had on KBTV. At the end of a religious program they announced all the stations and times that their program was broadcast. One of the stations they listed was KOTR channel 11. Apparently it must still be on as a cable channel even though they have no OTA station. I didn't know a broadcast station could do this.

Chuck
Calaveras is offline  
Old 05-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Member
 
kkpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Looks like a Chinese connector. Even Pasternack doesn't sell them. I hope you don't have to order an adapter from China. Maybe you can swap out the connector on the transmitter for an N connector.

Chuck
Hi Chuck,

The L27 female connector almost mates with a 7/16 DIN connector. If I put a little aluminum foil in the center conductor and put pressure on the connector to make contact on the outside, then it may work temporarily to mate it with a male 7/16 Din connector. I would be afraid, though, about burning up the amplifier. I just got confirmation about the shipment of the L27 male to N female adapter I ordered on eBay. However, it says it will take at least 10 busines days to get to me! Yikes. Maybe Anywave can send me one faster.
Blessings, Keith

Message from Chinaqualitygoods:
Hello Customer,

Thanks for you purchase from us.

We are glad to inform you that your package has been sent out.

It normally takes about

10-18 business days to USA(USA SHIPPING ITEM takes 2-5 business days to arrive in normal situation.)you can check it here https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input
kkpm is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,847
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
Hi Chuck,

The L27 female connector almost mates with a 7/16 DIN connector. If I put a little aluminum foil in the center conductor and put pressure on the connector to make contact on the outside, then it may work temporarily to mate it with a male 7/16 Din connector. I would be afraid, though, about burning up the amplifier. I just got confirmation about the shipment of the L27 male to N female adapter I ordered on eBay. However, it says it will take at least 10 busines days to get to me! Yikes. Maybe Anywave can send me one faster.
Blessings, Keith
Hi Keith,

So you did get stuck ordering it from China. Bummer! The only adapters I could find were L27 to N female from China. You know it has to be unusual if Pasternack doesn't stock it.

This is why I thought it might be possible to replace the L27 panel mount on the transmitter with an N panel mount. I've bought several 75 ohm components off of Ebay; a switch, a step attenuator and some 50:75 ohm transformers. Some had 75 ohm BNCs for which there are no 75 ohm adapters, just cable connectors, and 75 ohm N connectors. I was able to buy F panel mount connectors from Pasternack and replace the BNC and N connectors. It worked out great. I only ran into one switch where to due to its construction prohibited replacement of the 75 ohm N's. I was forced to go with adapters.

73 - Chuck
Calaveras is offline  
Old Today, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Larry Kenney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Here's an interesting observation...

Two of my antennas, the LP-345 and the S-15, were removed from my roof today so that the roofing company could put a new roof on our home. Both antennas went through a connecting barrel connector, so the roofers disconnected the coax at these points. After the roof work is done we can easily put the antennas back up and reconnect the coax in the same place.

What I find interesting is that with no antenna connected, just the length of coax from the roof to the TV is enough to give me perfect reception on all 12 Sutro stations. I'm getting better signal quality reports, but weaker signal strength on the HD Home Run readings, but the signals are rock solid. Apparently I'm getting nice direct signals and no multipath. I'm getting absolutely no signal from the Mt. San Bruno stations on these two lengths of coax.

By the way, when the LP-345 and S-15 are put back up, I'm replacing one of my CM4228's with a new Antennas Direct 91XG antenna. Hopefully it will help pull in the more distant signals better. I'll let you know how much better it is.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Larry Kenney is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off