San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 418 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 61Likes
post #12511 of 12526 Old 05-18-2015, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC View Post
Ok, checked it, and KEMO stopped working.
Put the tuner in "antenna mode", and I could see both towers, but sutro was more stable. But the tuner would not lock on to it in "antenna mode"
Something that has never happened before.

It only works if I do a full re-scan.

The signal is below average to weak, but more stable. Not bouncy like a tidal wave.
It works best with the antenna 90 degrees away from before. (The old tower)
That is pointed west of San Bruno Mtn. (Towards the ocean)
Weird.
What do you mean by "KEMO stopped working"?
What other modes do you have besides "antenna mode"? It's interesting that you had to do a full re-scan and that you're getting the Sutro signal from a point west of Mt. San Bruno. Sometimes things just don't make sense.

Here's the reading I get on my HD Home Run receiver:
SCANNING: 581000000 (us-bcast:32)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=100 snq=100 seq=100)
TSID: 0x01A7
PROGRAM 3: 50.1 KEMO-HD
PROGRAM 4: 50.2 KEMO-DT

Can't get any better than that!

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12512 of 12526 Old 05-18-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
That's a great picture, Chuck! You did a great job of putting all of the individual photos together into one.

Larry
I can't take any credit. It's a function built into Photoshop.

Chuck
post #12513 of 12526 Old 05-18-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Obviously the new KEMO DTS is on the air but they have not filed for a License to Cover. Normally new stations file the same day they start transmitting. They should make it official soon.

Chuck
post #12514 of 12526 Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Larry
It says "No program", when you enter that channel. It crashed ... with the transmitter swap .... (plenty of signal.)
So I re-scan it. And then it works again.

I do not think the tuner jumps back & forth between the transmitters. They must have some hidden lock code or something.

When I have time I'll check the analyzer on that one, and see what's happening with both signal sources.
post #12515 of 12526 Old 05-19-2015, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
What other modes do you have besides "antenna mode"? It's interesting that you had to do a full re-scan and that you're getting the Sutro signal from a point west of Mt. San Bruno. Sometimes things just don't make sense.

Here's the reading I get on my HD Home Run receiver:
SCANNING: 581000000 (us-bcast:32)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=100 snq=100 seq=100)
TSID: 0x01A7
PROGRAM 3: 50.1 KEMO-HD
PROGRAM 4: 50.2 KEMO-DT

Can't get any better than that!

Larry
Hi Guys,

I'm gearing up to construct San Jose 45 (RF channel 2) K02QX-D on Friday. The transmitter is arriving this week, and I have the tower climber and help scheduled for Friday. We'll be constructing atop Mt. Chual which is adjacent to Mt. Loma Prieta. If we don't get it all constructed by Friday, then I'll try and finish soon after that. Say a prayer!

I was putting together the custom antennas yesterday at home yesterday to make sure it went together properly. Each antenna is actually two Kathrein-Scala CA-2 antennas put on a single boom to provide circular polarization.

Blessings,
Keith
post #12516 of 12526 Old 05-19-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm gearing up to construct San Jose 45 (RF channel 2) K02QX-D on Friday. The transmitter is arriving this week, and I have the tower climber and help scheduled for Friday. We'll be constructing atop Mt. Chual which is adjacent to Mt. Loma Prieta. If we don't get it all constructed by Friday, then I'll try and finish soon after that. Say a prayer!

I was putting together the custom antennas yesterday at home yesterday to make sure it went together properly. Each antenna is actually two Kathrein-Scala CA-2 antennas put on a single boom to provide circular polarization.

Blessings,
Keith
This will be very interesting as I have no experience since the transition with any DTV signals from that location. I used to see KKPX on 65 in the analog days and the signal wasn't very good. TV Fool says K02QX should dB 13 dB stronger than KFTY. If so it should be easy to receive as I can put KFTY in a 20 dB null when pointed down there. As you can see in the image I posted above I have a pretty good shot to Loma Prieta/Chual on this end. All the terrain is the Mt. Hamilton range.

Good luck,

Chuck
post #12517 of 12526 Old 05-20-2015, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All TV signals are less than 50% now, I'm getting no picture. This is a link to my TVFool analysis. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f04ee65eb6d0

My window is facing West. I'm using indoor antenna Mohu Leaf. I'm assuming some new tall buildings are blocking the signals? This is a recent problem.
post #12518 of 12526 Old 05-20-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Who knows exactly what's going on but if all was fine before and now you receive no stations then there has been a failure in the antenna or TV. Check the cable to the TV or try another antenna. A paperclip would work with your signals.

Chuck

Last edited by Calaveras; 05-20-2015 at 01:21 PM.
post #12519 of 12526 Old 05-20-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed that Estrella TV is going to start up on KQCA on June 1. KTNC has Estrella Sacramento on 42.2. Does this mean that KTNC is going to change programming?

Chuck

Edit: I see that Larry posted the same thing over on the Sacramento thread.

Last edited by Calaveras; 05-20-2015 at 01:21 PM.
post #12520 of 12526 Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamen555 View Post
All TV signals are less than 50% now, I'm getting no picture. This is a link to my TVFool analysis. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f04ee65eb6d0

My window is facing West. I'm using indoor antenna Mohu Leaf. I'm assuming some new tall buildings are blocking the signals? This is a recent problem.
How long has the Leaf been working fine? Where are you using the Leaf? Is it connected with an extension cable, or is it 6 feet or so away from the antenna input? In one room here, a Leaf worked just fine for about 5 months, then I started seeing A/V dropouts. Changing the antenna height/location/aim was required to receive certain channels. This is often true with indoor antennas.
post #12521 of 12526 Old 05-22-2015, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I see no sign of K02QX from San Jose here in San Francisco so far.

Larry

Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #12522 of 12526 Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I see no sign of K02QX from San Jose here in San Francisco so far.

Larry

It's not on yet. You know how antenna projects go. Make your best time estimate and then double it.

Is KEMO DTS2 still on? There's been no License to Cover filing yet.

Chuck
post #12523 of 12526 Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Apparently Keith will have to go back to finish the channel 2 installation down in San Jose.

Yes, KEMO 50.1 and 50.2 are now continuously on the air from Sutro Tower.

Larry

post #12524 of 12526 Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We installed the antennas for K02QX-D San Jose RF channel 2 yesterday; however, I ran into a couple snags with the transmitter. It had a connector I never heard of called L27, and I couldn't upgrade FPGA code in the exciter to enable PSIP editing. Also, I ran out of half inch feedlinefor the receive antenna. I was going to instead run 3/8 inch LMR-400 but thought that since I have to go back I might as well get some LDF4-50 1/2 feed line.

Blessings,
Keith
post #12525 of 12526 Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
We installed the antennas for K02QX-D San Jose RF channel 2 yesterday; however, I ran into a couple snags with the transmitter. It had a connector I never heard of called L27, and I couldn't upgrade FPGA code in the exciter to enable PSIP editing. Also, I ran out of half inch feedlinefor the receive antenna. I was going to instead run 3/8 inch LMR-400 but thought that since I have to go back I might as well get some LDF4-50 1/2 feed line.

Blessings,
Keith

Looks like a Chinese connector. Even Pasternack doesn't sell them. I hope you don't have to order an adapter from China. Maybe you can swap out the connector on the transmitter for an N connector.

Chuck
post #12526 of 12526 Unread Today, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

KOTR Tidbit

While playing around this morning with antennas I had on KBTV. At the end of a religious program they announced all the stations and times that their program was broadcast. One of the stations they listed was KOTR channel 11. Apparently it must still be on as a cable channel even though they have no OTA station. I didn't know a broadcast station could do this.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page