San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 427 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #12781 of 12790 Old 07-01-2015, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
I watched "America's Got Talent" tonight on KNTV and didn't see or hear any glitches. They appear to have their problem fixed again.

Larry
I'm one better than you, because I watch the idiotic finale
of "I Can Do That" (Nicole Scherzinger won, nobody is
spoiled), and saw not one unaccounted-for glitch (there
might have been one when somebody started up a
wood-chipper to get rid of a body, but that's it).

Darya Folsom was dressed much more modestly this
morning which means they no longer think they need
more money to fix their equipment at KRON...

Channel 5.2 has horrible video and stole some of the
good shows from "MeTV" so they suk...

--
maxreactance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 12790 Old 07-01-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I just checked and KGO SAP audio was present while KNTV SAP audio was silent.

At one time last night I checked KNTV and the SAP audio was present but not earlier during the Nightly News.

So, if you have no audio from KNTV please check is SAP is selected.

Maybe the dog pressed the SAP button on the remote.

SHF
post #12783 of 12790 Old 07-01-2015, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SAP was definitely not on here. KNTV was the only channel without sound for me, all other stations came in fine. So far KNTV is still broadcasting normally for the first time in nearly 2 weeks.
post #12784 of 12790 Old 07-02-2015, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxreactance View Post
I'm one better than you, because I watch the idiotic finale
of "I Can Do That" (Nicole Scherzinger won, nobody is
spoiled), and saw not one unaccounted-for glitch (there
might have been one when somebody started up a
wood-chipper to get rid of a body, but that's it).

Darya Folsom was dressed much more modestly this
morning which means they no longer think they need
more money to fix their equipment at KRON...

Channel 5.2 has horrible video and stole some of the
good shows from "MeTV" so they suk...

--
maxreactance

Decades doesn't steal anything. Its all owned by Weigel.
post #12785 of 12790 Old 07-02-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndhh1 View Post
Decades is an American digital broadcast television network that is owned as a joint venture between the CBS Television Stations subsidiary of CBS Corporation and Weigel Broadcasting.

Thus CBS had most if not all of the shows originally I have seen in the listings. They may still have the rights to them.

SHF.
post #12786 of 12790 Old 07-02-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
FREE ANTENNAS
-----------------------------

From "TV Technology":

TVFreedom.org and Antennas Direct will give away over 300 indoor digital broadcast TV antennas in San Francisco’s Chinatown on Friday, July 3, 2015 at 9:00 AM. The giveaway will be held in conjunction with this week’s 2015 OCA National Convention. This is the latest stop in the TVfreedom.org/Antennas Direct joint TV Liberation Tour that was launched last year and will include several new, yet-to-be-announced, tour stops in 2015.

The event will feature a tour bus with big picture screen HD TV’s, information on the local broadcast TV channels available to San Franciscans and other promotional giveaway items such as t-shirts and discount coupons to purchase additional antennas online.

The ClearStream Eclipse TV antennas, once installed, will enable viewers to watch dozens of local broadcast TV channels in the San Francisco Bay area for free. This will ensure their access to local news and programming, public safety information and most-watched primetime network programming.

WHERE: Clayton Hotel, 667 Clay Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94111 (on the street outside the hotel)

WHEN: Friday, July 3, 2015, 9:00 AM (one antenna per household | first come, first serve)

ClearStream Eclipse Antenna information:
https://www.antennasdirect.com/clear...v-antenna.html

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #12787 of 12790 Old 07-03-2015, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndhh1 View Post
I meant to say Weigel owns both networks.

Decades is a joint effort by CBS and Weigel.

All four of Weigel's networks (MeTV, Heroes and Icons, Movies!, and Decades) use CBS/Viacom/Paramount programming and/or movies.
post #12788 of 12790 Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
My friend Joe will help me replace the KTVJ antennas the week after the 4th of July.
Keep us posted on the progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC View Post
Humm....
The folded dipole worked better in the vertical, ... then the horizontal. By a huge margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Does your analyzer show a big difference in signal strength between horizontal and vertical polarization?
Chuck
I am waiting for Keith to fully power up RF 2 and fix the KTVJ horizontal issues with ch3 equipment before I spend any more time on this.
Why peak a temporary jerry-rigged setup ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
You know, I noticed something similar receiving KTVJ-LD at Mt. Chual / Mt. Loma Prieta where the vertical polarization was stronger than the horizontal polarization.Blessings,Keith
Yes, but it works goofy like that here.
post #12789 of 12790 Old Today, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
I've got a new interesting situation. I bought a new 24-inch Vizio TV for here in the computer room, replacing my small 7-inch Axion. I has "System" as one of the menu choices. When you select it, it squeezes the picture down to 3/4 size and adds an information panel down the left side of the screen. The information shows the TV model and serial number, then station information: resolution, audio type, physical channel, frequency, virtual channel, modulation, signal quality, VCT count and SLD count. I have no idea what the VCT and SLD counts are. I couldn't find anything on Google where these terms referenced TV.

The signal quality reading is a number from 0 to 100. The weaker stations show a signal quality in the 35 to 40 range. The stations from Sutro and Mt. San Bruno give me values from 70 to 90. KNTV 11 gives me the best quality of 90, KKPX follows with an 86 and KEMO an 85.

What's interesting is that using the same antenna with outputs from a Distribution Amp, I'm getting different readings of Signal Quality on the new TV vs the Signal Quality on my HD Home Run receiver. For some stations the HD Home Run gives higher readings than the TV, while the TV gives higher readings than the HD Home Run on other channels.

The HDHR gives me SQ readings of 100 for KPIX, KEMO and KFSF, while the TV gives less generous readings of 79, 85, and 75. For some stations, the TV gives me a higher reading than the HDHR. For example, KICU shows up as a 73 on the TV but only 65 on the HDHR.

The TV has a much wider range of SQ to produce a picture. An SQ of 35 or higher will produce a picture on the TV while you need to have an SQ of 50 or better on the HDHR.

The TV receiver is more sensitive than the HDHR and will produce a picture with a weaker signal than the HDHR does, but neither are as good as my 7 year old Sony or my Insignia Converter Box.

Now that I have SNR dB readings from my Sony, Signal Strength and Signal Quality from my HDHR, and Signal Quality from my new Vizio, it's going to be fun comparing them.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #12790 of 12790 Old Today, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 163
This shows how all over the ballpark the readings are from device to device. Sounds to me as though the different tuners handle varying amounts of multipath differently. The only real useful comparison between tuners I've found is to compare signals that are very close to the cliff under weak signal and high multipath conditions.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception