San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 441 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #13201 of 13205 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
Hi Paul,

Awesome that you can pick up KTVJ-LD. Where are you watching from?

Thanks in advance,
President and Engineer, One Ministries, Inc. (including KTVJ-LD)
Hi Keith,

Thanks for sending me TV signals! I am in Nicasio, about two miles south of the square in the redwood hills, halfway to San Geronimo. Hey how transmitting the baseball playoffs?

Sponsored Links
post #13202 of 13205 Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Somehow I think ESPN would be a might upset....

post #13203 of 13205 Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Originally Posted by PaulamI View Post
So perhaps the metal stuff like my roof flashing and the other antenna is interfering?

I can try putting it on a pole to get it up another 10-15' above the 7695P and roof flashing, would that work maybe?

Or I can put it on a pole away from the cabin, but either way it's going to be 10-20' of coax to get it back to the cabin. Can I use just a splitter to tie into the coax coming from the 7695P, at the roof, or do I need an AB switch to isolate the two antennas?

I see some VHF antennas advertised that have the dipole loop but also some extra dinguses sticking out, would that be better than just the dipole?

Thanks again! I'm actually kind of enjoying this. Beats cutting firewood.

You're dealing with severe multipath issues at the bottom of a forest. Moving antennas around and getting a station here and a station there is just the luck of finding a spot where the multipath is low enough to allow the signal to decode. I think you'd find that the SNR is pretty low even when a station does decode. There's no magic antenna that's going to work when all the others don't in your situation.

I have the same sort of situation at my house which is completely blocked to the west towards Walnut Grove. I can receive some of those stations by pointing an antenna east towards higher mountains that reflect the stations. The SNR of anything that is received is low and the reception is unreliable.

post #13204 of 13205 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Decades ago I wanted to watch Monday Night Football in a California State Park Campground on the west shore of Lake Tahoe in a forest like the cabin is. (Sugar Pine Point?)

The Analog NTSC transmitters were line of site across the lake high on Mt Rose.

The multipath which we called ghosts back then were so very numerous that the picture was totally unwatchable.

I left the State Park and drove South to Meeks Bay Campground where my 1" B&W TV allowed me to watch the game with less ghosts.

After ATSC DTV was turned on I have considered the Sugar Pine Point State Park to be a location that DTV cannot be received and was willing to bet huge amounts of money on it. None of the stations on Mt Rose were watchable!

post #13205 of 13205 Old Today, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm seeing a little Tropo activity tonight. KNVN 24, transmitting from the hills east of Red Bluff, approximately 175 miles from here, is coming in intermittently tonight.

All other signals are at normal levels.

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists:
Lots of Broadcasting links and information:
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers:
Photos and info on my antennas:
Sponsored Links
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception