San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 453 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #13561 of 13569 Old 02-05-2016, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
A lot of people have been having problems with KPIX lately. I don't know if this is a new situation or if people are just now trying to tune in the channel for the Super Bowl game. Anyway, I've received several emails asking for help. If you get KGO, KNTV, KTVU, KQED, KRON, etc. you should get KPIX. KPIX is being transmitted form the same antenna as KTVU and KRON... the three signals are combined into the one antenna. Since you're not receiving it, you have multipath problems for KPIX's frequency. You'll need to find a place where the reflections are reduced so that the main signal is not ruined by them.

Some of the antennas you see for sale are really not that good, no matter what the stores and ads say. You're 45 miles from the transmitter, so you should use an antenna that's outside. Several of us on here would be happy to recommend a good antenna if you want to replace the one you got. Also, indoor antennas in general don't work well, and they're not made for distant reception. Remember... up on the roof as high as possible is what will bring in the best signal.

Larry
Thanks but unfortunately living in an apartment complex makes it hard to have your own roof and an outdoor solution becomes problematic.

Actually I've never gotten KPIX for the past 3 months I've moved here. It's just odd. KGO, KTVU all look great though and I've never had signal issues even when the weather sours or when I put the antenna behind the TV and not next to the window. I know indoor is certainly not great, but at the same time my setup should be well within reach for an indoor antenna to pick up KPIX. Maybe I'll try dangling the antenna off the patio or something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13562 of 13569 Old 02-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo580 View Post
Thanks but unfortunately living in an apartment complex makes it hard to have your own roof and an outdoor solution becomes problematic.

Actually I've never gotten KPIX for the past 3 months I've moved here. It's just odd. KGO, KTVU all look great though and I've never had signal issues even when the weather sours or when I put the antenna behind the TV and not next to the window. I know indoor is certainly not great, but at the same time my setup should be well within reach for an indoor antenna to pick up KPIX. Maybe I'll try dangling the antenna off the patio or something
Crazy as it sounds, In my apartment, at that time, I put a outdoor model "Under the bed" and it worked. Such as models like RCA-751
It all depends on location. (In my case it was Redwood City)

Over the past 10 years or so, I've seen a huge decline in quality ... of consumer electronic items such as antennas, etc.
Bad soldered electronics, shoddy coax cable, blown capacitors, extreme small base footprint, (That tips over and crashes to the floor) > (Think Terk antennas)
I cant imagine these items lasting any duration with kids & pets.
With that said, the possibility of failing equipment can't be ruled out. Even "moving" to a new address can damage items in transit.

I'd purchase a new antenna ... from a retailer that has a good return policy in case things don't work out.
post #13563 of 13569 Old 02-06-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 46
New HD Farallones Cam in testing mode perhaps.

Hi,

I was able to find the Golden Gate Bridge but not Sutro. Visibility was too poor towards San Francisco.

And alas NO BIRDS!

I suspect that it will come and go as the message that it was going to be replaced is still displayed. Just dismiss it. The URL may also be changing. What is being showed is not live, the water is not moving.

http://legacy.calacademy.org/webcams/farallones/

SHF
post #13564 of 13569 Old 02-06-2016, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
That's amazing that you have such consistent reception at 110 miles distance!

As for the improved reception, the fire must have thinned out the trees and foliage enough to make the difference.

Except for the exceptional conditions seen a couple of weeks ago, conditions have been normal to poor for the Walnut Grove stations here.

Larry
I don't remember any trees, in the old panoramic picture, from his property.The rain or wet earth , has dramatically improved my VHF reception from walnut grove.
post #13565 of 13569 Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrench View Post
I don't remember any trees, in the old panoramic picture, from his property.The rain or wet earth , has dramatically improved my VHF reception from walnut grove.

There were plenty of trees and other vegetation in both the Walnut Grove and SF directions. I'm thinking about doing a post fire 360 degree panorama with the camera mounted up on the tower. It's a bunch of work and I'll have to get a friend over to help.

Chuck
post #13566 of 13569 Old Today, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 47
In an information update from rabbitears.info, there are two new callsigns here in the Bay Area:
Channel 45 (RF 2) in San Jose is now KQRO-LD
Channel 49 (RF 49) in Santa Rosa is now KQTA-LD

and a new one in Sacramento Channel 45 is KAHC-LP

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #13567 of 13569 Old Today, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
and a new one in Sacramento Channel 45 is KAHC-LP

KAHC used to be K45HC analog. They've been off the air for a few years and have never had a digital station on the air. Their last FCC filing was an STA continuance for silent operation in July 2015 when they stated they were building their digital station. More LP station games. Who would put an LP station on channel 45 at this time?

Chuck
post #13568 of 13569 Old Today, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
There were plenty of trees and other vegetation in both the Walnut Grove and SF directions. I'm thinking about doing a post fire 360 degree panorama with the camera mounted up on the tower. It's a bunch of work and I'll have to get a friend over to help.

Chuck
Sounds like a big job.I want to snap a picture of what im aiming into also.I believe I have a dead amp on one antenna ,so I need to fix it and bring the camera.
post #13569 of 13569 Old Today, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
antenna view

Sounds like a job for a drone, maybe? Depends on the resolution that you need in the pictures of course. You'd want to match what you have from pre-fire photos, but cameras generally get better all the time.... What you want is basically a horizon comparison, right?

Just a thought - at work we always look for ways to make things easier and safer.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception