San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 468 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 119Likes
post #14011 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Must be a severe multipath issue when you're pointed at SF. You should be able to receive KSTS and the other full power stations up there on a paperclip. You can see the transmitters.

So the Weak Signal History shows KNTV 11.1 as a weak signal at some point?

Chuck

Hi Chuck. Thanks for the question.

No, I cannot see the transmitters from here. Ch. 11.1 still sucks this morning.

Will change to Ch. 2.1 or 5.1 until the engineers fix KNTV. KNTV is the only station that has given problems.

Below are screen shots re: signal strength of 11.1 and the separate screen of a weak signal log. Have no idea what this Samsung means as "weak".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch 11.1 signal strength.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1618281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weak signal register.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1618289  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14012 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 26
BTW, I've not been watching the Olympics and had not rec'd recent AVS Forum notices from this thread. Also, SWMBO has been watching them on 11.1 without complaints so I was blissfully unaware of any issues. I just checked my recordings and TSReader found 299 continuity errors in my Men's Gold Medal Basketball file and 433 in the Closing Ceremony file. I normally see fewer than 10 CE in hours-long recordings on RF 12, which is one of my strongest signals.

I asked SWMBO if she'd noticed any problems and it turned out that she had, but thought they were minor. I guess we HDTV enthusiasts are a demanding lot.
post #14013 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Hi Chuck. Thanks for the question.

No, I cannot see the transmitters from here. Ch. 11.1 still sucks this morning.

Will change to Ch. 2.1 or 5.1 until the engineers fix KNTV. KNTV is the only station that has given problems.

Below are screen shots re: signal strength of 11.1 and the separate screen of a weak signal log. Have no idea what this Samsung means as "weak".

KNTV has been coming in this morning. I checked it a bit after 7 am and there were no problems. I just checked it again before 10:30 am and still no problems. The signal was very good with an SNR of 27 dB.

If you're having problems this morning then it must be just you.

I'm beginning to think that KNTV is having a problem AND you're having a problem too. Both problems look the same on your TV. That's the only thing that would explain all the reports.

So you're blocked by a hill to Fremont and your antenna is pointed to SF. Could you post your TV Fool so we could see what it says?

Chuck
post #14014 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Red face

Quote:
KNTV has been coming in this morning. I checked it a bit after 7 am and there were no problems. I just checked it again before 10:30 am and still no problems. The signal was very good with an SNR of 27 dB.

If you're having problems this morning then it must be just you.

I'm beginning to think that KNTV is having a problem AND you're having a problem too. Both problems look the same on your TV. That's the only thing that would explain all the reports.

So you're blocked by a hill to Fremont and your antenna is pointed to SF. Could you post your TV Fool so we could see what it says?

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck. Not sure what you mean by "Both problems look the same on your TV.". These issues are identical to the last time KNTV did have a big problem, and the breakups disappeared when KNTV finally corrected the problem(s).

Don't think any hill is blocking Fremont access, but the antenna rotor motor is broken, so the antenna is fixed toward S.F.

Wow! Never tried TV Fool before, or don't remember. Please tell us what this graphic means. Don't see 11.3 listed... did I miss it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Radar-Digital P-Mark.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	916.3 KB
ID:	1618465  
post #14015 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, Chuck. Not sure what you mean by "Both problems look the same on your TV.". These issues are identical to the last time KNTV did have a big problem, and the breakups disappeared when KNTV finally corrected the problem(s).

Don't think any hill is blocking Fremont access, but the antenna rotor motor is broken, so the antenna is fixed toward S.F.

Wow! Never tried TV Fool before, or don't remember. Please tell us what this graphic means. Don't see 11.3 listed... did I miss it?

KNTV having a problem and you having a problem would both result in similar looking dropouts. You wouldn't be able to tell which one was which.

I checked KNTV a little after 7 am and there was no problem. I also had it on for an hour late this morning. No problems.

Sounds to me that there are two problems; the one everyone sees and then the one only you see. I have no idea what that could be. Maybe your TV listing KNTV in the Weak Signal History is a clue. With a +61 dB Noise Margin there is no way that should ever show up as weak. Even if atmospherics affected the signal it is impossible to drop out a +61 dB NM signal. You must have some connection problem.

TV Fool does not show sub channels. It only shows the the real and virtual channel numbers. See my article in the link below my signature for a detailed explanation of TV Noise Margin.

Another broken antenna rotor..... This is why I only recommend the Ham rotors.

If you point just about any antenna to Fremont you should receive all the stations.

Do you know for sure that you're watching KGO on RF 7 and not RF 35? Your signal page should say Physical Channel 7.

BTW, do I remember that you've had this problem in the past where it was unclear that everyone was seeing what you saw?

Chuck
PeninsulaMark likes this.
post #14016 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Cool

Quote:
KNTV having a problem and you having a problem would both result in similar looking dropouts. You wouldn't be able to tell which one was which.

I checked KNTV a little after 7 am and there was no problem. I also had it on for an hour late this morning. No problems.

Sounds to me that there are two problems; the one everyone sees and then the one only you see. I have no idea what that could be. Maybe your TV listing KNTV in the Weak Signal History is a clue. With a +61 dB Noise Margin there is no way that should ever show up as weak. Even if atmospherics affected the signal it is impossible to drop out a +61 dB NM signal. You must have some connection problem.

TV Fool does not show sub channels. It only shows the the real and virtual channel numbers. See my article in the link below my signature for a detailed explanation of TV Noise Margin.

Another broken antenna rotor..... This is why I only recommend the Ham rotors.

If you point just about any antenna to Fremont you should receive all the stations.

Do you know for sure that you're watching KGO on RF 7 and not RF 35? Your signal page should say Physical Channel 7.

BTW, do I remember that you've had this problem in the past where it was unclear that everyone was seeing what you saw?

Chuck

1. The rotor is 35 years old. Forgive the failure.
2. DTV Air 7-1 is detected as Physical 7, mod 8VSB, SNR 33, Lock. No listing of 7-1 in Weak History.
3. Maybe something was unclear to some, but the issues described were experienced by others and explainable. The only unique issue I had was a bad balon/transformer on the antenna and that was fixed about 1.5 years ago.
4. Have no idea why 11-1 is in the WEAK history. Would have to ask Samsung.
5. 11-1 has improved today, with glitches occurring in groups and it's okay for an hour or two. So you could have easily had a good experience today.
6. An antenna pointed to Fremont will receive ALL the channels? Really? Even the ones derived from the antenna now pointing to S.F. ?

Thanks again for your interest and help.
post #14017 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
1. The rotor is 35 years old. Forgive the failure.
2. DTV Air 7-1 is detected as Physical 7, mod 8VSB, SNR 33, Lock. No listing of 7-1 in Weak History.
3. Maybe something was unclear to some, but the issues described were experienced by others and explainable. The only unique issue I had was a bad balon/transformer on the antenna and that was fixed about 1.5 years ago.
4. Have no idea why 11-1 is in the WEAK history. Would have to ask Samsung.
5. 11-1 has improved today, with glitches occurring in groups and it's okay for an hour or two. So you could have easily had a good experience today.
6. An antenna pointed to Fremont will receive ALL the channels? Really? Even the ones derived from the antenna now pointing to S.F. ?

Thanks again for your interest and help.

An antenna pointed to Fremont will not receive all the channels, just all the Fremont channels. A separate small UHF antenna with an A/B switch would do it or replace your old rotor. You might be a good candidate for a DB8e antenna where you can point the two halves in different directions. Your stations are all strong and LOS which is what that antenna is really meant for. You would need a separate VHF antenna pointed to SF. I don't remember what your current setup is. Also you might be able to just combine a separate UHF antenna with your main antenna without messing up its reception.

I got the impression from all the posts that you were having trouble at times that others were not. Larry in particular was indicating much less of an issue than you were. I did not sit down and watch KNTV for hours. I just left it on and peeked at it intermittently. I checked it again early this afternoon and it was still fine. It's possible I could have missed it.

In the current situation if there's only the occasional glitch it's probably not going to get fixed. You'll have to put up with it. If that bothers you too much then the answer is to get 11.3.

Chuck
PeninsulaMark likes this.
post #14018 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
An antenna pointed to Fremont will not receive all the channels, just all the Fremont channels. A separate small UHF antenna with an A/B switch would do it or replace your old rotor. You might be a good candidate for a DB8e antenna where you can point the two halves in different directions. Your stations are all strong and LOS which is what that antenna is really meant for. You would need a separate VHF antenna pointed to SF. I don't remember what your current setup is. Also you might be able to just combine a separate UHF antenna with your main antenna without messing up its reception.

I got the impression from all the posts that you were having trouble at times that others were not. Larry in particular was indicating much less of an issue than you were. I did not sit down and watch KNTV for hours. I just left it on and peeked at it intermittently. I checked it again early this afternoon and it was still fine. It's possible I could have missed it.

In the current situation if there's only the occasional glitch it's probably not going to get fixed. You'll have to put up with it. If that bothers you too much then the answer is to get 11.3.

Chuck

Very helpful post. Thank you.

I previously posted a picture of the roof antenna.

11.1 is 90% better today, so will wait and observe. Will call KNTV tomorrow.
post #14019 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I previously posted a picture of the roof antenna.

Do you have a link to it? 800 posts is a lot to look through.

Chuck
post #14020 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I was just doing my occasional look through of the OTA channels and found signals to be quite a bit stronger than normal today, for the most part. For example, KAXT 1 is normally touch and go here. Sometimes it's in, sometime's I get "No Signal". Right now it's coming in at SNR 19.5 dB. 27 is coming in at 22 dB and the full power stations from the South Bay are 26 to 28 dB. I'm getting RF 35 at 13 dB, but I don't know if that's channel 3 or channel 7, since I'm getting the same signal strength whether the antennas are pointed to the South Bay or toward Walnut Grove. I've never got a lock on KGO's translator on 35.

With the antennas pointed at Walnut Grove I'm getting 6 at 21 dB, 10 at 19 dB (it's normally stronger than 6, but not today), 31 is at 23 dB, 42 is 26-27 dB, and 52 is 17 dB. For some reason, my usually strongest station, KQCA 58, is at 13 dB, below the cliff edge, when it's normally about 20. Something weird there! 13 is about 14 dB, but if I turn the antenna from 50 to 315 degrees, KOVR 13 is 17-18 dB. This is a reflection of some kind and it's always there and usually quite solid.

North Bay signals are all strong: 22 is at 25 dB and 68 is at 29 dB. I used to be able to do a good signal comparison using channel 50, which was my most distant station, but now that they have the added transmitter on Sutro Tower it comes in at 31-32 dB, and I have no way of receiving the Mt. St. Helena signal.

KTVJ 12 (RF 4) is the only low VHF signal I get and it's at it's usual level of 20-21 dB using the VHF 10 element/UHF XG91 combination antennas. I get a fairly strong signal on RF2 from the South Bay, but the Signal Quality is never good enough to give me PSIP info and a picture.

So that's a quick summary of the somewhat unusual signal strengths this afternoon. Most are up, but a couple are way down.

Anyone else noticing the unusual signal levels?

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #14021 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Question

Quote:
Do you have a link to it? 800 posts is a lot to look through.

Chuck

Not as bad as going through more than 4,600 posts by a highly-esteemed member!!

Here's a picture of the antenna. What are your thoughts now?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV antenna.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1619561  
post #14022 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not as bad as going through more than 4,600 posts by a highly-esteemed member!!

Here's a picture of the antenna. What are your thoughts now?

Oh.... It's a U-100 rotor with a thrust bearing. That was the best TV rotor you could get at the time. Chances are that all that's wrong with it is the capacitor in the control box is bad. The less used they were the faster they went bad. Replace that and it could very well turn again.

I had a hard time finding them but one like this should work:

https://www.grainger.com/product/DAY...Code=P2IDP2PCP

Most rotors these days are DC and don't require starting capacitors.

That antenna is definitely from the analog days. All those low VHF elements are going to waste unless you watch one of Keith's stations. In your situation an HD7694P is all you really need.

Chuck
post #14023 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Question

Quote:
Oh.... It's a U-100 rotor with a thrust bearing. That was the best TV rotor you could get at the time. Chances are that all that's wrong with it is the capacitor in the control box is bad. The less used they were the faster they went bad. Replace that and it could very well turn again.

I had a hard time finding them but one like this should work:

https://www.grainger.com/product/DAY...Code=P2IDP2PCP

Most rotors these days are DC and don't require starting capacitors.

That antenna is definitely from the analog days. All those low VHF elements are going to waste unless you watch one of Keith's stations. In your situation an HD7694P is all you really need.

Chuck

My Lord. How can you know the model from one view so far away>\?

Yes, the antenna is at least twenty years old. The antenna man said I should not replace it. So a new ballon and new cabling and a ChannelMaster amp splitter and was good to go.

Should I change the antenna?

So I should replace the capacitor my self inside the control unit? I still have the Alliance U-100 with four wires leading to the motor. Have no idea if the repairman disconnected the connection to the rotor. Will that capacitor be suitable for this unit?

How about just buying this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Alli...-/262567556145

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; Yesterday at 08:54 PM.
post #14024 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

KNTV breaking up again

KNTV acting up this evening. Darn, I like AGT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bad PQ AGT.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	1619873  
post #14025 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Oh.... It's a U-100 rotor with a thrust bearing.
Since it's a worm drive, the U-100 and U-110 could really take the abuse. At my old rental house, I had a 29 foot long, 14 lb. ham antenna on a push up mast with the U-110 and thrust bearing.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #14026 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

You people have access to some nice tools. Don't know how to get nor use them.
You buy and learn. As you are posting here you must have a computer.

The Tuners that Larry, Toast0 and I are using are HDHRun Tuners. Now may not be a good time to buy with the upcoming reduction in stations and the switch to ATSC 3.0, anyway.

Newegg has the one of two that I am using for $89.00.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA3JX3ZS7877

If you do not have a network then the Ethernet cable can be plugged directly into a computer.

The needed software is included or free on the Internet.

My HDHR turners plug into my wireless router with my main HTPC connected with a cable. I have a backup HTPC (Needing a motherboard transplant but I have not given up yet.) that also has a cable connection.

My laptop computers get the streams from the HDHR tuners wirelessly.

For testing a RF channel is selected and then a BAT file is started. As it is running "." are display on the screen for normal operations, "s" is displayed for sequence errors.

Thursday I will be watching KNTV starting at 17:00. I will be watching with a tuner that does a great job of ignoring errors in video and audio. I will also be able to use my new Sony "Smart TV" but as that does not allow FF and REW it's use will be less. One of my HDHR tuners will also be recording a backup copy should something interfere with my live / time shifted viewing. When the gas pipeline blew up I switched to a different channel and finished watching the game the next day. That copy can be checked for errors using TSReader.

The next KNTV football game is August 28 and then in a few more weeks every Sunday.

You started reporting problems with the Olympics at the wrong time for me, I watch 0% of the Summer, 100% of the Winter.

SHF
post #14027 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
You buy and learn. As you are posting here you must have a computer.

The Tuners that Larry, Toast0 and I are using are HDHRun Tuners. Now may not be a good time to buy with the upcoming reduction in stations and the switch to ATSC 3.0, anyway.

Newegg has the one of two that I am using for $89.00.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA3JX3ZS7877

If you do not have a network then the Ethernet cable can be plugged directly into a computer.

The needed software is included or free on the Internet.

My HDHR turners plug into my wireless router with my main HTPC connected with a cable. I have a backup HTPC (Needing a motherboard transplant but I have not given up yet.) that also has a cable connection.

My laptop computers get the streams from the HDHR tuners wirelessly.

For testing a RF channel is selected and then a BAT file is started. As it is running "." are display on the screen for normal operations, "s" is displayed for sequence errors.

Thursday I will be watching KNTV starting at 17:00. I will be watching with a tuner that does a great job of ignoring errors in video and audio. I will also be able to use my new Sony "Smart TV" but as that does not allow FF and REW it's use will be less. One of my HDHR tuners will also be recording a backup copy should something interfere with my live / time shifted viewing. When the gas pipeline blew up I switched to a different channel and finished watching the game the next day. That copy can be checked for errors using TSReader.

The next KNTV football game is August 28 and then in a few more weeks every Sunday.

You started reporting problems with the Olympics at the wrong time for me, I watch 0% of the Summer, 100% of the Winter.

SHF

I don't have the knowledge and skills to do what you do, but I'd enjoy knowing your assessment of KNTV. Are you on the S.F. Peninsula?

If it is the signal, I do know someone who can relay the info to KNTV and get this corrected. I don't like to "piss and moan" here, but after over a year of perfect PQ, and good audio this is more bothersome. The audio interruptions - - - don't recall that these occurred last time.
post #14028 of 14038 Unread Yesterday, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
BTW, I've not been watching the Olympics and had not rec'd recent AVS Forum notices from this thread. Also, SWMBO has been watching them on 11.1 without complaints so I was blissfully unaware of any issues. I just checked my recordings and TSReader found 299 continuity errors in my Men's Gold Medal Basketball file and 433 in the Closing Ceremony file. I normally see fewer than 10 CE in hours-long recordings on RF 12, which is one of my strongest signals.

I asked SWMBO if she'd noticed any problems and it turned out that she had, but thought they were minor. I guess we HDTV enthusiasts are a demanding lot.

How did you measure those errors and what do they signify and are they the cause of AV interruptions?
post #14029 of 14038 Unread Today, 12:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
How did you measure those errors and what do they signify and are they the cause of AV interruptions?
I used TSReader Lite (free) to analyze recordings that I'd made using HD Homerun tuners (as SHF described) and Cliff Watson EPG (free) control software. Continuity Errors are the same thing as the "sequence errors" that SHF mentioned and, yes, they very likely are the source of the A/V glitches that you're reporting. My guess is that KNTV's encoder needs some attention/repair to fix its high rate of CE generation.
post #14030 of 14038 Unread Today, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
I used TSReader Lite (free) to analyze recordings that I'd made using HD Homerun tuners (as SHF described) and Cliff Watson EPG (free) control software. Continuity Errors are the same thing as the "sequence errors" that SHF mentioned and, yes, they very likely are the source of the A/V glitches that you're reporting. My guess is that KNTV's encoder needs some attention/repair to fix its high rate of CE generation.

Okay. Will call them and request an encoder repair or ask that they reduce their rate of CE generation!

Can I check of continuity errors on the MP4 files on my PHD-VRX2 files?
post #14031 of 14038 Unread Today, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I finally saw what you've all been talking about! I watched the Olympics Closing Ceremony tonight that was recorded on Sunday. There were times when there were no break ups, but, man, during the time when the Olympian athletes were walking into the stadium my picture and sound were both breaking up terribly. It would clear up for a while then get really bad again. Sometimes just the audio was breaking up - a few times I missed entire sentences. Other times it was just the video breaking up. Yes, now I know what you're talking about. It's hard to believe that the engineers at KNTV don't see how bad it is.

Mark, get on their case and tell them they've got work to do!

I guess I when I watched at previous times it was during a time when things were working right.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #14032 of 14038 Unread Today, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
I finally saw what you've all been talking about! I watched the Olympics Closing Ceremony tonight that was recorded on Sunday. There were times when there were no break ups, but, man, during the time when the Olympian athletes were walking into the stadium my picture and sound were both breaking up terribly. It would clear up for a while then get really bad again. Sometimes just the audio was breaking up - a few times I missed entire sentences. Other times it was just the video breaking up. Yes, now I know what you're talking about. It's hard to believe that the engineers at KNTV don't see how bad it is.

Mark, get on their case and tell them they've got work to do!

I guess I when I watched at previous times it was during a time when things were working right.

Larry

Phew!! Thank you for the supreme validation.

However, I'm not known for being tactful and I'd like someone else to call, especially since many of you know the lingo and electronics.

An hour ago learned that a neighbor across the street called KNTV because he has OTA, and he was curtly and rudely told: "We monitor our all our signals and there's nothing wrong." CLICK. I'll find out who he reached.

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; Today at 01:07 AM.
post #14033 of 14038 Unread Today, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Can I check of continuity errors on the MP4 files on my PHD-VRX2 files?
The CE are flaws in the transport stream usually caused by missing packets that were lost in transmission, but in this case of such a strong signal where we're all seeing the same effects it seems unlikely that the packets are going missing in transmission and rather that the source encoder is messing them up. Your mp4 file will not replicate those errors because it has been re-encoded after reception. You need to examine the as-received TS file.
post #14034 of 14038 Unread Today, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I don't have the knowledge and skills to do what you do, but I'd enjoy knowing your assessment of KNTV. Are you on the S.F. Peninsula?

If it is the signal, I do know someone who can relay the info to KNTV and get this corrected. I don't like to "piss and moan" here, but after over a year of perfect PQ, and good audio this is more bothersome. The audio interruptions - - - don't recall that these occurred last time.
Check just below my avatar for my zip code.

Quote:
The same HDHR ATSC tuners are in use by Larry, Terry, Nani, Toast0, Chuck.

Quote:
299 continuity errors in my Men's Gold Medal Basketball file and 433 in the Closing Ceremony file. I normally see fewer than 10 CE in hours-long recordings on RF 12, which is one of my strongest signals.
Terry is using the same program I use, "TSReader".

http://www.coolstf.com/tsreader/

Lists the program features. The link for Download TSReader Lite is near the bottom.

"continuity errors" occur when a frame is missing due to multipath being too bad. The other possibility is that somewhere the frames are getting lost or damaged and thus not usable.

BUT IT MAY NOT BE LEGAL TO USE TSReader Lite and send the results to a business like KNTV.

Attaching the results to an AVS post may not be legal but I do it anyway. This post has results:

San Francisco, CA - OTA

I just checked and the trees are not moving. With so many new tall buildings going up Multipath may have changed.

SHF
post #14035 of 14038 Unread Today, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
Check just below my avatar for my zip code.

The same HDHR ATSC tuners are in use by Larry, Terry, Nani, Toast0, Chuck.

Terry is using the same program I use, "TSReader".

http://www.coolstf.com/tsreader/

Lists the program features. The link for Download TSReader Lite is near the bottom.

"continuity errors" occur when a frame is missing due to multipath being too bad. The other possibility is that somewhere the frames are getting lost or damaged and thus not usable.

BUT IT MAY NOT BE LEGAL TO USE TSReader Lite and send the results to a business like KNTV.

Attaching the results to an AVS post may not be legal but I do it anyway. This post has results:

San Francisco, CA - OTA

I just checked and the trees are not moving. With so many new tall buildings going up Multipath may have changed.

SHF

Is it good for multi-path to change?
post #14036 of 14038 Unread Today, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

KNTV is booming in here this morning again with an SNR of 27 dB. I watched for awhile and saw several episodes of breaking up. The Sony reported zero errors during these periods. It's not a reception problem.

I wonder if KNTV is using a microwave link from the San Jose studio to Mt. San Bruno? The breakups look a lot like the problem KOVR had with their microwave link back around the transition. They added a second link receiver to their Walnut Grove tower higher up the tower and a system to automatically switch from on receiver to the other when there was a link fade.

We've had strong inversions the last couple of weeks and perhaps this is affecting them.

Time to e-mail Doug again.

Chuck
post #14037 of 14038 Unread Today, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My Lord. How can you know the model from one view so far away>\?

Yes, the antenna is at least twenty years old. The antenna man said I should not replace it. So a new ballon and new cabling and a ChannelMaster amp splitter and was good to go.

Should I change the antenna?

So I should replace the capacitor my self inside the control unit? I still have the Alliance U-100 with four wires leading to the motor. Have no idea if the repairman disconnected the connection to the rotor. Will that capacitor be suitable for this unit?

How about just buying this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Alli...-/262567556145

Do they guarantee the capacitor to be good? If the box has been sitting around for years the capacitor probably isn't good.

No other rotor looks like a U100 so it was easy to recognize.

If you take your box apart you can read the capacitor value but I think it should be in the range of 100-150 ufd at perhaps 70VAC. The exact value is not critical.

I wouldn't change the antenna if it's receiving the stations okay unless you want to update. But 20 years is long time for a TV antenna. Parts of the Bay Area can be corrosive.

BTW, it is "balun," a contraction of balanced-to-unbalanced.
post #14038 of 14038 Unread Today, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post
Since it's a worm drive, the U-100 and U-110 could really take the abuse. At my old rental house, I had a 29 foot long, 14 lb. ham antenna on a push up mast with the U-110 and thrust bearing.

Ron

When I was a poor high school student I had a U-100 turning a 2 element quad. An offshore wind event blew the quad over and cracked the center part of the rotor. It still turned! After that I had it turning an old TH-4.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception