San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 5 - AVS Forum
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > San Francisco, CA - OTA
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 10:28 AM 09-26-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by keenan
[


Yes, where did you get it? Locally hopefully?

Jim [/b]

Century Stereo in San Jose will be getting their first shipment sometime in early October. However, the 4200A is supposed to still have the 4th generation chipset (LG3302). The 5th generation LG receivers (LG3303 chipset) are supposed to be out by the end of the year.

Muse's Avatar Muse 10:51 AM 09-26-2004
I'm getting audio dropouts every few seconds on KTVU digital (D 02-1) this morning. Is everybody or is it just me? TIA.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 11:35 AM 09-26-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by Otto Pylot
The 5th generation LG receivers (LG3303 chipset) are supposed to be out by the end of the year.

Thanks, I think I'm going to wait fo the 5th Gen model, if it truly will be available at the end of the year. It that a pretty firm date do you know?

Jim
bnwinsf's Avatar bnwinsf 01:11 PM 09-26-2004
Sunday #2 with my new outdoor antenna. Last week I posted a note about problems with KTVU reception in SF's Inner Sunset. All other Sutro stations -- except KTVU -- are just fine. KTVU was even OK during the week (checked it once in awhile.... Friends episodes -- blech -- always seemed to come in fine).

Anyway.... KTVU reception is again terrible during football today. What is it about KTVU? I don't see what else I can do since all other Sutro stations are great.
igreg's Avatar igreg 01:19 AM 09-27-2004
OK, this may be completey off the wall, but I just got my first look at Sara Sidner when watching the KTVU 10:00 news. Wow! Has anyone else seen her on this newscast, and is she ever broadast in HD? I don't know if I've ever seen a more beautiful woman.

Thanks.
Muse's Avatar Muse 06:16 AM 09-27-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by bnwinsf
Sunday #2 with my new outdoor antenna. Last week I posted a note about problems with KTVU reception in SF's Inner Sunset. All other Sutro stations -- except KTVU -- are just fine. KTVU was even OK during the week (checked it once in awhile.... Friends episodes -- blech -- always seemed to come in fine).

Anyway.... KTVU reception is again terrible during football today. What is it about KTVU? I don't see what else I can do since all other Sutro stations are great.

I switched antennas yesterday and with my _better_ antenna KTVU problems I had earlier in the day (see post above) are not evident. I had audio dropouts of several seconds every few seconds - major problem. That was 9-10 AM. After switching antennas, the audio problem was gone. Disappointed the Raider game wasn't in HD. Is there any way to find out when the games will be HD? The TitanTV HD listing isn't something you can hang your hat on. For instance, the CBS 10:00 AM game wasn't listed as scheduled for HD, but it was. I believe I've seen a similar thing happen for Fox. Guess it's just a madhouse out there.

Haven't seen Sara Sidner. Is she the new KTVU weekend female 10:00 PM anchor? I think that's how Leslie Visser started (boy am I sick of her), and Julie Haener - very good looking woman too, IMO!
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 08:25 AM 09-27-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by keenan
Thanks, I think I'm going to wait fo the 5th Gen model, if it truly will be available at the end of the year. It that a pretty firm date do you know?

Jim

What I've heard is fourth quarter of this year or sometime first quarter next year. However, the 4200A's are coming out now so I'm not too sure why LG would introduce a newer model a few months later. They are relatively new to the US market so maybe their business model needs working on.
zoro's Avatar zoro 09:37 AM 09-27-2004
My KGO was there for a day, disappeared again!!? any one?
ilikemyHT's Avatar ilikemyHT 10:21 AM 09-27-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by Muse
No, I really think you are right. They used to air other games.

WooHoo! I'm not crazy. Awesome. Thanks.

Anyways, to get back on topic: Has anyone in the Alameda/Oakland area have good results on KTVU with an indoor antenna? Since it doesn't look like Comcast is going to get KTVU this year, I'm debating whether or not it's worth it to get the tuner and everything else just for 1 year worth of football. I'd ask about the outdoor antenna experiences, but all the gear I need for an outdoor antenna setup is just a greater expense and getting further towards not being worth it if it's just going to be for the one year.
GregF's Avatar GregF 10:44 AM 09-27-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by zoro
My KGO was there for a day, disappeared again!!? any one?

I really think something screwy is going on with that tower.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 12:15 PM 09-27-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by Otto Pylot
What I've heard is fourth quarter of this year or sometime first quarter next year. However, the 4200A's are coming out now so I'm not too sure why LG would introduce a newer model a few months later. They are relatively new to the US market so maybe their business model needs working on.

Yeah, I think I am going to get a 4200a now, because really, who knows when the new one will really be out.

Jim
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 12:17 PM 09-27-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by Muse
Disappointed the Raider game wasn't in HD. Is there any way to find out when the games will be HD?

I'm guessing you don't have Comcast? The game looked great in HD on ESPN.

Jim
igreg's Avatar igreg 07:43 PM 09-27-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by Muse
I switched antennas yesterday and with my _better_ antenna KTVU problems I had earlier in the day (see post above) are not evident. I had audio dropouts of several seconds every few seconds - major problem. That was 9-10 AM. After switching antennas, the audio problem was gone. Disappointed the Raider game wasn't in HD. Is there any way to find out when the games will be HD? The TitanTV HD listing isn't something you can hang your hat on. For instance, the CBS 10:00 AM game wasn't listed as scheduled for HD, but it was. I believe I've seen a similar thing happen for Fox. Guess it's just a madhouse out there.

Haven't seen Sara Sidner. Is she the new KTVU weekend female 10:00 PM anchor? I think that's how Leslie Visser started (boy am I sick of her), and Julie Haener - very good looking woman too, IMO!

Apparently Sara is the new KTVU weekend anchor. I saw Julie Haener tonight; not bad, but she's not in the same league as Sara, at least if you like your women on the exotic side. I have attached a photo of Sara, but it doesn't do her justice. Opinions?
LL
Frank Windemere's Avatar Frank Windemere 08:51 AM 09-28-2004
Quote:


I have attached a photo of Sara, but it doesn't do her justice. Opinions?

A stalker in the making?
bnwinsf's Avatar bnwinsf 10:00 AM 09-28-2004
The fates are indeed unkind. As I reported, all day Sunday -- football day -- I couldn't get KTVU. But I checked it last night (Monday).... it's coming in perfect (as are all other Sutro stations, as usual). And what was on when I checked? why, "Friends," of course (ugh). I expect KTVU reception will again go into the crapper this coming Sunday.

Brian (in the Inner Sunset)
Gregg2's Avatar Gregg2 10:04 AM 09-28-2004
I receive KTVU-DT OK, but I have noticed (at least in the past) that it did not have as good a signal as the other Sutro stations. Note that it is towards the high end of the OTA frequencies, which may also negatively affect its received signal level and/or attenuation through your coax run (if it is a long coax run). KRON-DT (HDNET) also seems to be a bit lacking in signal quality, and it is just one physical channel away from KTVU-DT -- of course this could just be a coincidence.
bnwinsf's Avatar bnwinsf 11:48 AM 09-28-2004
I receive KRON-DT fine... strong, consistent signal. I receive 7 out of the 8 Sutro stations I want. It's only KTVU that has been dicey, and only on Sundays, it would appear.
igreg's Avatar igreg 12:35 PM 09-28-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by Frank Windemere
A stalker in the making?

Actually, at last count, looks like 40 "stalkers" of the Channel 2 weekend news, and the number is growing! Couldn't hurt the ratings.
tivoboy's Avatar tivoboy 12:50 PM 09-29-2004
Hello,
can someone explain the channel mapping to me? For example, when I try to get ABC in the bay area, that is channel 7-1, and 7-2. Both do not come in right now for me, but regardless, they are channel 24 I think. when I click on pause, I see channel 24, then BAD, and that is it.

So, I run a quick scan, going to Prefernces, then System check, ATSC channel scan. I run the 3-33 scan first, that tells me that I only get 28 on 24, so that is why there is no ABC right now.

But, and here is the BUT, on channel 12 and channel 33, I get 67, which is the same for NBC, which is 28 I think, or 11-2 here in the bay area.

going back to guide, I simply cannot find these channels 12, and 33, which come in STRONG, but I cannot see them on the menu.

Does the ATSC tuner pull in channels, that may not be listed in the quide? How can I get to these channels? When I type in 33, or 33-1, or 33-2 for example, all I get is channel not availble.

Sure would like to know where they are, and what they are coming in.

thanks
greeno's Avatar greeno 01:58 PM 09-29-2004
Look here and you'll see the RF (radio frequency) and the PSIP (forget the acronym - but it's the remapped station number) for the bay area. Focus on the sutro stations. This will show you the correspondence between rf and psip.

Your post is a bit confusing, but consider KGO-DT (the SF ABC local affiliate). On analog it is channel 7. RF is 24.1 and PSIP is 7.1. If your tuner is working correctly, it should tune in to rf 24.1 and remap it to 7.1. that is what my tuner does. For KPIX-DT (the local CBS affiliate), they are rf 29.1, but psip is 5.1, and so on.

Best,
jeff
hobbes4444's Avatar hobbes4444 02:23 PM 09-29-2004
bnwinsf or others in the inner sunset or west portal area of SF. . . has anyone had success with any indoor antennas? i live near 19th and taraval (1.4 miles from sutro) and was thinking about HD, but really do not want to get on the roof. not ready to take the full plunge with directv yet either since i already contribute enough of my salary to them after the MLB and NFL packages!! saw the little indoor set at antennasdirect and was thinking about it. our house faces the ocean not the tower; not sure if that would matter for an indoor setup. also, any recommendations for a tuner that has a DVI output (i have a toshiba 34HF83 HDTV ready set and the 2 component inputs are already occupied)?
photogold's Avatar photogold 07:17 PM 09-29-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Duskie
Questions:
- Should I realy invest on an outdoor OTA setup?
- Is there any possibility I could get "reliable" HDTV signal from ~ 52miles away?
- If possible what will be the idea antenna, & how high should it be to get reliable reception?

Any comment is appreciated.

I get great reception in San Jose on all major stations with just a CM 4221 mounted on my chimney in a one story house. The antenna is pointed at sutro and I get channel 11/12 off the back side.

I didn't need a 10' mast, preamp, rotor, or the larger CM4228. Start with just an antenna, then add the mast and preamp only if needed.
Sonny's Avatar Sonny 05:20 PM 09-30-2004
The digital signal from KGO has lately disappeared and can't get Monday Night Football in HD anymore. It looks like their signal ihas gone weakre and erractic. Can someone confirm that point?
Gregg2's Avatar Gregg2 10:43 PM 09-30-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by Sonny
The digital signal from KGO has lately disappeared and can't get Monday Night Football in HD anymore. It looks like their signal ihas gone weakre and erractic. Can someone confirm that point?

It's working fine for me at this time in Los Altos. Don't know about MNF.
Jerry Gardner's Avatar Jerry Gardner 08:52 AM 10-01-2004
Quote:


i live near 19th and taraval (1.4 miles from sutro) and was thinking about HD, but really do not want to get on the roof.

At that distance from Sutro your house is probably saturated with RF and an indoor antenna might even be overkill. Heck, I bet a bent paper clip stuck in the end of the antenna-in jack would give you a good signal.

You could probably hold a fluorescent tube up in the air in your house and it would glow.
Sonny's Avatar Sonny 10:32 AM 10-01-2004
Gregg2, how is your signal strength for KGO compared to the others from Mt Sutro (KPIX)?
I have the same antenna for 15 years and all channels except for KGO are real strong.
Other folks from the forum are also having problem with KGO lately.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 11:54 AM 10-01-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by Jerry Gardner


You could probably hold a fluorescent tube up in the air in your house and it would glow.

Free power. That close you might want to use an attenuator on the signal to avoid overloading the tuner.

Jim
Gregg2's Avatar Gregg2 08:34 PM 10-01-2004
Quote:


Originally posted by Sonny
Gregg2, how is your signal strength for KGO compared to the others from Mt Sutro (KPIX)?
I have the same antenna for 15 years and all channels except for KGO are real strong.
Other folks from the forum are also having problem with KGO lately.

From MyHD120 card at 7:32PM 10/1/04:

KTVU-DT 75%
KRON-DT 64%
KPIX-DT 93%
KGO-DT 81%
Sonny's Avatar Sonny 02:39 PM 10-04-2004
I am using a Wingard amped antenna so some corrosion may have caused signal loss at around Ch24.
i will try to go up on the roof and check it out soon.
automa7ic's Avatar automa7ic 11:45 AM 10-05-2004
I am in Morgan Hill 61 miles from Sutro. KGO DT is on PSIP 7.1, but actual channel 24.1. Does that mean I need a UHF antenna to get it? I am assuming yes, but wondering if an antenna installed in my 2-storey house attic will be enough or if I need to read through my CCR's about installing one on the roof (no one in my sub has an external TV antenna!).

BTW my KNTV waiver was granted so now I get CBS and NBC national feeds from DirecTV. Just looking for Fox, UPN, and ABC to be satisfied!
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop